Why don't planes squish people on the ground as they fly overhead? I mean, the weight is still acting downwards...

Why don't planes squish people on the ground as they fly overhead? I mean, the weight is still acting downwards, even if it's pressing against the air then it's got to be pressing against the ground through the air.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stall_(fluid_mechanics)
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

really nigga

are you high ?

the weight gets dispersed

Ur dum

so actually explain it to me

how? I mean, what does that even fucking mean?

Please dont breed

see, everyone's big on criticism but short on actual explanation

just like hovercraft doesnt detonate mines that pressure is put to a huge surface , aircraft just creates wind

It's a conspiracy. Gravity doesn't exist. They just tell you that so that the sheeple will stay put.

We can all fly. Go try it, just jump off the 6th floor of a building. Gravity won't do shit.

Google aerodynamics and do the work yourself, you lazy nigger.

im not op but i bet you dumbshits have no idea why is this happening

the weight isn't pressing against the air but pulling the fucking plane down, you negroïd

>that pressure is put to a huge surface

surely the weight of the hovercraft is only applied to the area directly underneath it? and the same with the plane

kill yourself

hes not wrong, did this yesterday.

you'd be surprised what your capable of when you actually believe.

>even if it's pressing against the air then it's got to be pressing against the ground through the air
You'll learn about that in a few years when you get into high school science classes.

This

are you simple? jesus h tittyfucking christ son were your parents brother and sister? or were you dropped as a child?

Because the difference in airflow over and under the wing create lift which counteracts the weight of the plane, meaning it is effectively weightless.

well someone got a summer project from school.

fuck i hate summer on Sup Forums

Put a grape on your desk and move your hand over it.
Your hand still has weight so it should squash the grape, right?

shit nigger youve found a bug in matrix

No, because my arm muscles are supporting the weight of my arm so it exerts no downward force.

The force of gravity is countered by lift, so there is no "weight acting downwards pressing the ground through the air".

It's the same reason that if you jump over paper cup it doesn't get squashed, because the kinetic force of you jumping works against your weight and gravity.

And lift "supports" the weight of the plane, acting against gravity, so it exerts no downward force either.

pressure acts with equal magnitude in all directions (isotropic), therefore the increas of pressure is, in some way, distributed in every part of the space, with the same intensity.

but, if you were inside a very big air-tight syringe and the plane stopped onto the piston, you would experience the squish

(sorry for my english)

I weep for humanity.

The answer is that it's all a lie OP. There are no airplanes. It's all a part of the grand illusion by the shadow organization to control the world. Break free! Take the red pill.

ok, so what if the wing stalls and stops generating lift? if you were under a plane that was generating no lift then would you get squished before the plane dropped on you?

>pressure
>weight

different things nigger, weight doesn't act with equal magnitude in all directions, it a force with a vector

planes create a terrible fuckupment in air behind them

lift a brick above ur head. let go. does the brick crush ur empty skull before it hits u?

here op

i didnt even mention the weight, did i?

>thinking that was the correct answer

back to school kiddo

hey, why doesn't the moon squish everyone on earth as it orbits us?

that is the correct answer....

why doesn't OPs mom

The force of gravity acts on the plane not the person, the plane has to use its engines to fly against gravity which negates the downward force on the plane, the person is only acted on my the weight of the air above him (amounting to almost a negligible weight). If the world worked in the way you're describing humans as well as other animals would all be dead because clouds can weight tons (the water that makes them up) and rain wouldn't work the way it does

If you lie at bottom of a pool and someone drops a tennis ball onto the water above you do you feel anything?

Same reason why you won't feel anything from a plane flying over you - the force repelling the ball is spread across the volume of water below it, not just the vertical slice of water reaching down to you.

Because the weight of the plane is being counteracted by an upward force, aka aerodynamic lift.

I have a pretty elementary understanding but I think I know enough to explain it so if my explanation is flawed forgive me.

High pressure will always want to move towards low pressure zones to equal everything out, an airplane's wings take advantage of this effect by creating a high pressure zone underneath the wing and body of the plane, this zone of high pressure will want to move upwards where the pressure is normal (to equalize, just like how heat moves to cold and creates convection). This effect creates a lot of upward energy, the reason why planes need to go a certain speed to fly is because the wings need to be pushing air down hard enough to create a high enough pressure difference to get that effect to lift it off the ground.

Planes can lose this though, this is called 'stalling' when a plane loses aerodynamic lift and the pressure on the top and bottom of the plane are allowed to equalize it would fall just like anything else, but if you were to get the plane going necessary speed to create lift again you can recover it.

tl;dr: planes exert a lot of downward force which is countered by a lot of upward force from aerodynamic lift.

think about helicopters theyre also heavy like fuck and that rotor is like a plane flying in a tiny circles so that wind is focused in one direction but it goes into a big volume of air and fucks away

just like dynamite in hand is kinda dangerous but its ok if it gonna explode 10m away

>I don't know shit about physics but I like trying to sound intelligent on the internet

Idk if the ither cunts answered, but the entire reason it's flying is because the net acceleration on the plane upward and downward is 0. That's how things fly. As to why heavy falling objects don't crush the air onto you, it's because air is a fluid, and will just use the force to go out of the way, rather than straight down.

The magnets push them off the ground.

Is this new bait! Nice to see a change around here.

OP doesn't have the brain mass for this many words

>wing stalls
A wing is not an engine.

But anyway, to answer your question, why doesn't a rock falling on to your head cause the air below it to crush your skull before the rock hits you? Because nothing in the air has enough mass to do that. All those extremely light atoms and particles and whatever else makes up the air is simply displaced.

ITT 20 cunts who dont understand a shit but anyway started insulting someone who asked a good question

>wing stalls
>A wing is not an engine.

you colossally fucking stupid cunt

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stall_(fluid_mechanics)

hovercraft are many times lighter than planes, the effect they have isn't really comparable to aerodynamic lift. They don't set off tank mines because tank mines need a lot of weight, and you get a lot of weight when a tank's weight is only acting through it's relatively narrow track, the weight of a hovercraft is spread on a very large surface area, so there's less weight concentrated on the ground immediately above the anti tank mine.

this 100%

>hovercraft are many times lighter than planes

are you saying this weighs less than the Wright brothers' plane?

It's called a play on words, you ignorant fuckwit.

I never understood why people find it so hard to just say "I don't know, I'm afraid that's beyond my ability to explain". Instead they try to make up shit about weight being "spread across a surface" what ever that means.

protip: this doesn't make you look intelligent, quite the fucking opposite

this is the first correct answer the other answers about "dispersion" dont work because if it was only/mainly dispersion (or anything similar) then the plane would still be supported even if the plane stopped moving.
so if the plane put any weight on the air below the air bubble below it (aka it is not gaining enough lift to not fall) then the air will then disperse but again, its mostly lift. dispersion might make a small gust of wind just before you get hit by the plane.
now that i think about it, it might have something to do with fluid dynamics. in which i have no fucking clue about.

tldr: whats keeping you not squished is first lift from the wings and second, dispersion of air as the plane falls.

Jaden -that you?

>this is the first correct answer

I know, because a) I posted that answer and b) I'm OP

hope everyone enjoyed showing their complete fucking ignorance in this thread though

By the way you're completely right about it pushing against the ground through the air. Much as a rocket pushes against the ground to get to space (by pushing against the air, which in turn pushes against other air molecules and eventually against the ground). Aerodynamic lift is the means by which this force is imparted, it doesn't mean that no force is imparted.

nigger you dont understand , both aircraft and hovercraft are heavy like fuck but all that weight is divided by a giantic surface/volume under them

btw atmospheric pressure is motherfucking 10 tons on every square meter , no go check what pressure theres in a tire for example and what kick it gives when you stab that tire with a knife , then count weight and surface of things

anyway wtf am i reading in this thread what else , earth is 6000 years old and flat , im outta here

If you have a 500 pound object resting on a platform that is 1 inch by inch, all 500 pounds will be acting on that 1 inch by 1 inch square, if you made that square 5 inches by 5 inches, it's still 500 pounds, but all of the sudden the weight being exerted on any 1 x 1 inch portion of that platform is much less than the weight of the actual object.

I never understood why people find it so hard to just say "I don't know, I'm afraid I don't understand what I'm reading". Instead they spew a bunch of pseudo intellectual bullshit about how 'that doesn't make you look intelligent'

protip: this doesn't make you look intelligent, quite the fucking opposite.

I was saying that the hovercrafts don't set off things because they're light they don't set off things because the weight is spread out, which isn't how planes function.

But sure, hovercraft is heavier than the wright brothers plane so nothing I said holds true, you're a cunning one.

Your confusion might be from your picture specifically. You've drawn lines of force acting down from the plane toward the person, weight due to gravity.
In your picture, this would be the case. The man would be smashed, the plane would fall out of the sky and accelerate toward the ground, 300 tons hitting the ground and crushing him.
There are other forces acting on the plane, though. When a plane flies overhead, it isn't stationary, it's moving at an incredible speed. The wings of a plane, or wings in general, are designed to make use of 'lift', or essentially a way in which air can be forced at high speeds over its surface to generate an upward force. That upward force is what keeps the plane effectively weightless. The plane still has mass, but it's travelling incredibly quickly overhead. That speed generates lift from the wings, counteracting the weight of the plane.
I hope this was simple enough to understand, it seems like a stupid question but it's a viable one. Don't listen to these arseclowns trying to explain a very simple concept and fucking it up massively.

Please learn to physics.

you know what everyone just type "wing aerodynamics" or something like that in youtube and stop pretending you know what youre smashing keyboard about

btw notice that fish in the sea arent crushed by huge ass ships above them

1. The force is applied not directly downwards. There is a small area where air pressure is higher, and the pressure is applied in every direction (including up, where the wing is)
2. Application of air pressure is not the same as application of gravity force. Pressure is propagated by fast-moving air molecules that collide all the time, the faster molecule loses impetus, the slower one gains it, and both change directions.

This is why pressure in air or water does not depend on anything but height/depth in general - the differences are very quickly shared by all molecules

Did you finish school yet OP?

The weight gets evenly distributed across a larger area. Try standing on a bed and look at how much pressure you're applying and try lying down. The same weight is being distributed across the whole bed when lying down. It's like 6th grade physics wtf

weight has nothing to do with it you moron

This

>What is fluid dynamics and Bernoulli's Principal
Hint: the plane is actually being pulled up by lower air pressure over the wing aerofoil.

>good question
You're as much a dumb cunt as OP.

>hovercraft are many times lighter than planes

Are you stupid? Planes are way lighter, they fly high in the sky, therefore they weigh almost nothing. Hovercraft are so heavy they barely get off the ground.

>I don't understand basic physics and can't comprehend that air is a fluid
Try hanging yourself. You'll notice that the force of your weight won't be enough to crush the floor until whatever unlucky bastard has to cut you down.

You need to understand something called "vectors'

The force you are talking about has DIRECTION as well. Its not just 300 tons dropping down. Thats gravity. The thrust generated by the engines on the airplane along with the air drag and lift are all cancel each other out to let the plane maintain a steady course.

Now if you actually had people BEHIND the plane, they might actually get squished or blown away - thats beyond any doubt.

It's cuz moots a God damn faggot.
Protest the system.
Protest MOOT

Newfag

Everyone say "MOOT is a massive faggot" into your respective mics repeatedly.
Poke
It
In

No u

What do you think air is?

Nu uh

I'll be shocked if you're not American.

Kek

That answer is technically wrong. Riddle me this: If the plane was falling down in free fall, would it crush you (while it was 30000 feet in the air)? So it has nothing to do with lift. Lift is only keeping the plane in the air.

It has to do with pressure and compressibility of the fluid (air). To illustrate: If the air was made out of solid steel, you'd feel the plane (if you could feel anything). Does an airplane affect the pressure you're feeling? Yes, in the same way a butterfly can start a hurricane over Northern Amercia when flapping his wings somewhere in Chile. Negligible.

>aircraft creates wind
>only God can create wind

Why don't boats squish people under the water as they sail overhead? I mean, the weight is still acting downwards, even if it's pressing against the water then it's got to be pressing against the ground through the water.

How do you not understand structural integrity. Using your same logic car accidents should just brush by mere inches because of air I guess? I don't know how to explain this dumbly

Alright asshole: The material exists in a fluid (all gasses and liquids are fluid). If the air was a solid, adding 300 tons of plane weight to it would make it that much heavier, however, because it exists in a fluid, it legit just pushes the material out of the way.

And that's why you're an idiot; because you're confusing solids and fluids.

Also, this guy.

Because action / reaction.

You drawing just shows the action. The reaction is the ground pulling back all these tons back to sustain the plane in the air.
Only if it was in vacuum space the plane would fall down.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

IT PUSHES THE PLANET DOWN. FAGGOT CAN'T EVEN EXPLAIN RIGHT.

/thread
Btw I have a PhD in physics

Why don't planets squish peeople on the ground as they fly overhead?