Von Trier

Thoughts on this absolute madman's work? Also what's his best film and why is it breaking the waves?

>breaking the waves
Yes

Nymphomaniac is garbage though

After reading his bio I can see why he is so mad with the world.

His best works are usually in my opinion are his low budget simple films.

I prefer his friend Vintenberg, tho. Submarino, Jagten and Festen(using their new doctrine of Dogma in the last one) are amazing.

>I can see why he is so mad with the world.
why?

Why didn't you like nymphomaniac? I thought it was on par with everything else he's done. The ending pissed me off, but that's a provocateur for you.

Most of his work up to Dogville is great. But I can't stand the pseudo-intellectual stuff he does now.

>Vintenberg
Have you seen Far from the Maddling Crowd and The Commune?

>I can't stand the intellectual stuff he does now.

His parents were hyper-liberals who lies to him his whole life, and he's been self-medicating for depression by getting shitfaced every day since he started working.

In a word, edgy.

Why you quoting me without a comment

I'm not a fan of his post Dogville stuff. To me it it's too cold and cynical, and all the symbolism feels empty and shoved in there just for the sake of it. I'm more of a Malick kind of guy, I guess. Dogville and Breaking the Waves are genius, though.

>malick
I hope you meant 20th century Malick. His first two films are wonderful but everything that came after TTRL is just crap imo. Same goes to Inarritu.

Where to start with his filmography? He is the most important modern filmmaker whose film I haven't seen.

Chronologically like you would with any other director

New Malick is pretty polarizing, just like Von Trier, so it's understandable for some people to not like the style. But if you actually believe that he's bad (or Von Trier, for the matter), then you're wrong.

For me it's Knight of Cups = The Thin Red Line > The Tree of Life = To The Wonder = Days of Heaven > The New World > Badlands, although with him, it's more about preference and how the subject matter resonates with you on a personal level, since he's pretty constant in terms of quality.
And don't give me that bullshit about filming grass and style over substance, you know you're wrong. Next you're gonna say that Tarr or Weerasethakul are also crap.

I've only seen Antichrist and hated it enough to be very reluctant to see any more from him. He just seems so misanthropic and satisfied with it

As for Inarritu, he's always been just alright. Lubezki (aka Malick)'s style worked fine enough in Birdman, but The Revenant feels like a cheap, soulless ripoff of Malick.

No yet. What's your opinion of those films

Antichrist is one of my favorite films.
I really like his take on the horror genre.

I've only seen Antichrist, but I've seen it like 5 times due to the gross out factor.

You could have watched five of his other films.

he should film that pron with kiki

Riget.
>tfw Season 3 never ever