What is it about Predator 1&2 that make them such great films?

What is it about Predator 1&2 that make them such great films?

Seriously, I've probably watched them several hundred, if not thousands of times, since they first came out and none of it ever gets boring.

Whereas I tried watching those AvP films and the Predators one, and they're just tedious shit, can't fucking watch it more than once every couple of years.

Finally someone else that likes P2.

Lots of people like P2, it just doesn't get talked about often because the first one is such a classic.

Not my experience in Predator threads on Sup Forums

Predator 2 is good. It just doesn't have MUH ARNOLD.

They tried something new and it was great. Plus Danny Glover is great.

Thats probably why the new predators sucks. They lack a good action hero MC with charisma.

>basing something on what you read on Sup Forums

Please don't do this.

is predator a drider?

Danny Glover was the dumbest fucking casting for Predator 2 ever

They lack tension.

Predator 1 & 2 have in common is that the main character has to overcome the odds against a superior alien race. The predator kicked the shit out of Arnold. Same with Danny Glover.

The main character just barely managed to win.

Im so my experience is that Sup Forums dislikes P2. I like it, probably a little more than 1.

He was good, he plays well his role as a cop.

Yeah i guess what they need is someone that can bring the tension of fighting an alien hunting machine.

What?

I'm fairly certain Predator 2 is well loved, few vocal anons aside.

I liked when the Predator was a sneaky hunter rather than the stomping murder machine AvP turned them into (I'm fine with them being like that in Predators because those were a different Predator type)

Predator 1 and 2 did that really well

Predators was bad, IMO, because they introduced this new kind of Predator, and calling it Super Predator didn't help either. Like, why was that necessary to begin with?

They seemed more like Bad Bloods than actual Predators, judging how they behaved by killing unarmed opponents. Seriously, the "twist" wasn't necessary, and was even kind of stupid in some way.

>They lack tension.

That too, but also they lack adequate Predator screen-time, if I'm making any sense.

AvP films are not considered canon, so there's that at least.

When the film was first rumbled about, I figured it would suck ass. I mean, going from a jungle setting to an urban one, I thought it couldn't really do it well. But man oh man, it was so great. I fucking loved it when the City Hunter climbed the building, roared out in triumph with that one guy's spine and skull in hand.

Predator 1 and 2 were p good because as mentioned before they had a tension to them. The threat of the predator was real. And they showcased what the predator was. And how he claimed his trophies.

They also gave him some small dynamic. -Predator wanted to hunt things that could fight back for the most part and the bigger the game the better. He had some sense of honour in not killing a random child who offered him candy.

They're just good fun films.

Predator 1 was a movie about a platoon of badass mofos you don't fuck with that encounters an unknown being that you don't fuck with.
Think immovable object vs unstoppable force.

Later alien movies are just "ZOMG ALIEN HUNTERS!"

There is literally only one good thing about AvP and that was Wolf's costume. Of course, they even fucked that up, because the film was too dark to actually see it properly.

I think the issues with AvP were Minot that the MC had no emotion whatsoever. She blank faces while almost falling to her death. That and the predators were awkward and bulky. Other than that it's okay

This

The black chick, you mean?

specie, not race. race means all aliens are the same, it's like saying every eathling is the same. Tell me, what race of dog are you?

>What is it about Predator 1&2 that make them such great films?
>2

nuh uh

absolutely fucking not

Could you actually explain why you think that?

>He had some sense of honour in not killing a random child who offered him candy
I wish we could definitely drop this honour bullshit, it has jackshit to with with honour, it was just no game.

Predator is a shit action film. Watch it as a comedy though and it's decent.

That's the thing though, to Predators, if they were to kill the unarmed/non-hostile/young, it would be dishonorable. Their sense of honor isn't necessarily the same as ours, that's all.

And why is that exactly? He was good.

Whatever happened to the new Predator film btw?
I remember reading something about it not being a "soft reboot" but rather an actual sequel to P1-2.

That's not honour, it's safari.
When you go hunt the lion you don't shoot rats on the side of the road.

Why are people like you so triggered by the word honor?

Pointing out blatant misuse of the words is not being trigged, retard.

What do you call it when the Predator removes all his weapons and helm to have a fair fight with Dutch?

>still not getting it after being explained
Safari is about thrills. You can't get more official it's exposed like that in the first two movies.

Yeah, Shane Black's directing it.

Release date is set for February 2018.

Not much is know about it, and what little there is known is subject to change.

Main character's name is Quinn McKenna.

And the film will be set in the present day.

I'm just telling you how the Predators perceive such things. The ones who kill all those aforementioned are considered dishonorable and would be actually hunted down and killed by other Predators.

Now, granted, I know this because I've been reading the comics for the past two decades.

The word isn't misused. You're simply interpreting it with human standards and perceptions of the word. That's not how the Predators see it. That's all.

I don't understand why you can't accept that.

I'm not even sure what you're trying to argue anymore.

I agree with you on the whole safari point, but if you really think that the Predators of the first two films aren't an honorable species then I think you should rewatch...

I don't think you know what honour is.

And I don't think you realize that 'honor' means something completely else to an alien species than it would to humans.

Stop trying to play the psychologist card, it's retarded.
They're very straightforward human movies made by human standards in the fucking human 80s. There is no other interpretation to have than whatever is written in the script. And in the script there is no mention of honour.

It is a very simple yet vague concept.

What we would consider to be honorable in modern times, would be completely different when compared to something like feudal Japan. Let alone a fucking alien species.

>psychologist

Dude, we're talking about aliens.

What the fuck is so hard about this to accept?

Did you even watch the movies?

You're just using this as a cop out, how can it be acceptable?
The movies speak for themselves, and it's 99% about safari. That honour shit has been blown out of proportions with the video games, the closest you get to honour in predator is in 2 when the chief isn't arsed enough to kill the man who stands no chance against them and hives him an old gun as a keepsake of his survival.

I don't think I've seen this level of retardation ever before. Best if we stop replying to him, it only encourages him.

>let us be safe in our hugbox
Why won't you just admit you're wrong, I didn't invent anything, it's all from the 2 movies.

Anyway, thoughts on where the next film might take place?

Would you rather it be Earth or some strange alien world?

Predators left a really bad taste in my mouth, so I'd much rather see another film set on earth.

Maybe set in a third world country, rural, yet still decently populated.

Earth of course

>There is no honour among the predators
>They allow Danny Glover to 1v1 a predator on their ship
>They honour him afterwards and show him a sign of respect and leave

Fucking women can't into honour.

Arnold Schwarzenegger fighting an invisible alien in the jungle

what's not to like?

When that Predator gives Glover that gun it was a show of honor.

Africa or the Middle East would be pretty interesting.

They could tie in the local conflicts with the Predator also hunting them from the shadows.

I don't particularly like the AvP movies as much as I do the Predator. But I do like that they sent a small squad of Predators to hunt in the first AvP.

Would be cool to at least see a pair of Preds stalking and working together or having a rivalry.

Arnie in a movie.

Whats not to like?

>Africa

Lots of potential.

It has its forests and mountainous areas.

Could be really fun.

>Middle East

Not familiar with that area, I'm afraid.

What region could be a good setting for it?

>But I do like that they sent a small squad of Predators to hunt in the first AvP.

They were untested, Young Bloods I think. This was their initiation rite.

>Would be cool to at least see a pair of Preds stalking and working together or having a rivalry.

The only time Predators fight each other is when one of them becomes a Bad Blood, i.e. killing defenseless prey and innocents. Then everyone goes on the hunt for the Bad Blood.

>bill paxton's skull
it still hurts ;_;

After discussing Predators with a friend, I think I've finally figured it out: Predator 1 and 2 are actually great movies with a definite genre playing by those genre rules, that develop the characters and the setting well WHEN SUDDENLY A FUCKING ALIEN creates a shift in the story and in how the movie plays out while the specific setting and established genre are subverted but not completely thrown out of the window.
But when the Predator is the mission from too early in the movie, well then you can only try to do your best action/scifi homework movie.

If we are talking Middle East then my go to location would be Israel/Palestine. It'd be a little more focused on civilization like Predator 2, but I think the added tension of the conflict that is already in that area would fit well. Might be kinda hard with all the political undertones though.

Maybe at the height of the conflict in the area, a duo of Preds are sent on a hunt after local mercenary groups or something in that vein.

And also, I was thinking more of a friendly rivalry between the two Preds. But I'm not sure how well that would fit within the lore of their culture. Still think it'd be interesting to see nonetheless.

Again, how forested would be those areas?

Just sand all around would be boring shit.

The Predators seem to like a humid sort of heat, rather than dry one.

>strange alien world
point the pleb

fuck Middle East i want Middle Earth

read the thread FFS

Haha, I see what you mean.

I'm not gonna claim to know about Middle Eastern geography, but I was just thinking that the setting would be very similar to Predator 2. As in very hot, very populated, inner city, but with the added bonus of the barren desert like areas on the outskirts.

I remember in Predator 2 that there was apparently a heat wave going on when the Pred started his hunt.

It'd be interesting to see a human character try and use the extreme heat and emptiness of the desert to outsmart the Pred, even though it would probably get them killed either way.

I did.

Only honor or respect makes sense in that scene.

>israel ever show as bad or even slightly morally grey
kek

no you didn't, I addressed that exact point here Honour is a fan and derived materials interpretation.

Watched P2 last night (this morning) on HBO. Gary Busey was based in it

You mean Pretador and Predators, right?

If it were Safari the chief woul try to hunt Glover.

Honor is the only thing that makes sense.

The first half of predator is unwatchable because it has nothing to do with the actual story. For me, anyway.

Dude, just fuck off already.

Nobody wants to argue in circles with you about semantics. We get it already, you think that it is just a safari.

You're extremely dense. If it's all about game it's only logical not to bother with a badly wounded prey when you're outnumbering it.

If it's about honour then explain why the hunting method consist of shooting from a vantage point while invisible. go ahead.

No, eat shit faggot, I'll keep calling you out on your bullshit until you're subjugated. see

>films

I think you mean flicks, pal

The Dredd x Predator comic is pretty good

>If it's all about game it's only logical not to bother with a badly wounded prey

Thats why i said chief or any other less skilled guy.

Danny was willing to go another round so according to your safari someone would fight him but honor or respect got in the way.

Because is a hunt and if in the hunt the prey manages to best the predator they earn the respect of the predator.

do the world a favour and kys

Yeah, but it was a humid kind of summer, everyone was sweating like crazy. Middle East.... not exactly the ideal kind of hunting grounds for a Predator.

Why are you replying to him? It's pointless.

The guy's head cannot grasp the concept of something beyond his own view on things and that's it. I suspect autism.

Oh absolutely.

Damn, you're way to engrossed by your own mind canon.
I used to thin,k predator were about honour too, because video games made it look coool, but watching the movies with adult eyes I can truly understand it. It's really just a savage hunt for the thrill, there is no sense of honour to it, and it's fucking OFFICIAL, it's in the god fucking damn dialogue in BOTH movies.

>p-please don't pop up my comfort zone, I don't want to be called back to reality, let me live my dreams that it's about samurai honour just like in my Chinese cartoons.
Consider me triggered from now on. You're like a fucking deluded kids that refuses to see reality face to face.
>I suspect autism
you betcha, take an appointment with your doc.

Applying primitive human emotions and concepts to a fucking Alien.

I guess that's why I love Predator 2 so much. It just seems like the Pred is very out of his element in the city, yet he very quickly adapts and uses it to his advantage.

My favorite parts of both 1 and 2 are the stalking phases where the Pred is just gathering info, probing for weaknesses and such.

see AGAIN and try give up on this shitty cop-out.

Not him faggot.

but nice try to and applying your monkey brain shenanigans to an intergalactic hunter, putz.

Why does it matter if you're him or not? You spouting the same bullshit that contradicts the fucking SOURCE material and try to force it down everyone's throat because you refuse to grow out of your childish beliefs that this badass alien wasn't some honourable space samurai but just a brutal savage carving for blood.

Some Predator ideas I like:

The Predator versus Native American on a reservation in the southwest (psychedelic scenery, bowfighting and knifefights, lotsaheat like that one comic)

Frontiersman a la Last of the Mohicans or Jerimiah Johnson

An extraterrestrial explanation for the Beast of Gevudan in Medieval France.

So much posted and nothing of value.

You seems to think these guys are just hunters but they are also warriors and as such will show signs of respect and honor like they did with Danny.

I do know the predator was a Alien that killed people for sport, beyond that you can't apply your puny humanisims to it.

Wait, is someone trying to argue that Safari hunters don't afford big game a sense of honor? I knew Sup Forums was largely illiterate, but come on.

>So much posted and nothing of value.
Comedy gold coming from the guy saying shit like
>they are also warriors and as such will show signs of respect and honor
What shitty comic are you getting that from? Or is it your head canon?

Was Predator prime Arnold?

No its from the scene with Danny which seems like you cant disprove no matter how much you post.

I already did though, and it's not about posting quantity but quality, my argument literally crushes yours.

A wounded prey is no game, and there is no honour whatsoever at making stealth kills and to nail it down, "thrill of the hunt" and "it's a safari for him" are quotes from both movies.

grow up.

>my argument literally crushes yours.
holy shit this autism

But you havent thought.

If it really were Safari then Danny head is coveted but because they have nothing but respect for him they let him leave.

Again Danny was still able to fight, he wasnt that wounded which would still make him fair game.

Quotes from humans? Are you implying that what a human said has bigger weight than the actions of the Predator itself? The Chief predator no less?

The more you post the more you lose user.

>ho no, I got proved wrong for the 1000th time
>quick, let's use our trump card close our eyes, scream and pray little to jesus

>If it really were Safari then Danny head is coveted
Who coveted it died.
>Again Danny was still able to fight, he wasnt that wounded which would still make him fair game.
You fucking what? Are you playing dumb or something? He's full of his own blood, shaking and drops his weapon and every predator is aiming at him with long range sure kill technology.
>Quotes from humans? Are you implying that what a human said has bigger weight than the actions of the Predator itself? The Chief predator no less?
No, really you nee to grow up. It's in a script written by human with human ideals behind it. It's a fucking action flick made for entertainment purposes for testosterone filled enthusiasts there is NO deeper meaning to it and certainly not deep space psychology.
>The more you post the more you lose user.
You can't keep that denial up forever. If you really like these movies, someday you'll have to face the truth.

bro, im not even a part of whatever argument you're having, i just think you sound hilariously autitistic

It's amazing to behold, isn't it?

I stopped arguing with him a while back, but other people keep feeding into his delusions.

I'm honestly curious what his thought process must be like, to see something else that's not in line with his own view on things and think that's complete fabrication and thus not actually valid.

>I was only pretending to be retarded
yeah, right.

Thought process is as follow:
-some faggot is wrong on the internets
-call him out
-denial
-keep calling him out until he submits or give up entirely

And I have no lessons to take from a faggot that keeps posting shitty fan fiction.

Danny killed a predator. If it were Safari they would want hunt him.

Danny still wanted to go and he was still able to fight (Its not like he lost a memeber like his opponent did), of course not all would fight him.

Thats what you implied. Quotes from guys who only have researched the predator from the first movie vs the actions from the subject themselves.

There is nothing deeper with honour or respect but its there as part of the Predators nature.

Im facing the truth and seeing it straight at its face.

And then you use autism as an "argument".
You're pathetic.

Why was Bill Paxton in both Aliens and Predator 2 but as two different characters even though the movies takes place in the same universe? Is the cop in Predator 2 supposed to be Hudson's ancestor or something?