Describe an album how a pleb would, something like this

Describe an album how a pleb would, something like this
>It's just an angry man screaming over static

nine inch nails IS pleb

Plebs love NIN

>how can you not love it? It's metal as fuck!

>I really enjoy this

Objectively incorrect.

>It's just an angry man screaming over static

>hey this is pretty shit, not good at all

the lyrics are fucking embarrassing

closer and a warm place are the only good songs (even though a warm place is plagiarised)

>muh edgy lyrics
Yeah. A guy getting more and more fucked up would describe it in a poetic way. Fuck off.

>lyrics
haha pleb

I don't get your post.

They're jarringly shit. I thought I'd give it another listen after seeing them on Twin Peaks the other week and I regret it. I was playing it at work and I felt really embarrassed when somebody walked by.

Having said that, Closer is one of the best songs ever written, imo.

>Calling noise music static
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

chuckled

More like a sad man whining over nu-metal

Why are you listening to terrorist music?

Closer is the song only plebs like and it is easily the worst song on The Downward Spiral, fuck off pleb.

>Having said that, Closer is one of the best songs ever written, imo.
NIN having bad/edgy lyrics is just a really bad meme, this is an album Johnny Cash took a song from and covered it, that being Hurt, the only song, THE ONLY fucking song which has questionable lyrics are "Heresy" and yet taht fits in with the context of the album and it is not meant to be taken at a face value.
Stuff like "The Becoming" was great lyrics as does Reptile.

Even then it's the instrumentals and the production and its concept and its amazing execution where the album excels.

Big Man With a Big Gun and I Do Not Want This are both far worse.

I HURT MYSELF TODAY

>isn't this the girl who made Call Me Maybe? This is shit.

>Big Man With a Big Gun and I Do Not Want This are both far worse.

Big Man With A Gun parodies gansta-hip-hop and also showcases insanity of the protagonist, he becomes absolutely insane, the more his mind becomes degraded the more immature and vulgar he becomes, I Do Not Want This and Big Man With A Gun are the absolute peak of its insanity and degradation.
Besides, you are ignoring the rest of "I Do Not Want This" and only focusing on its chorus which intentionally sounds childish to potray potragonist's fall from grace.

What about these parts?

>I'm always falling down the same hill
Bamboo puncturing this skin
And nothing comes bleeding out of me just like a waterfall I'm
Drowning in
Two feet below the surface I can still make out your wavy face
And if I could just reach you maybe I could leave this place
>You would know, wouldn't you?
You extend your hand to those who suffer
To those who know what it really feels like
To those who've had a taste
Like that means something
And oh so sick I am
And maybe I don't have a choice
And maybe that is all I have
And maybe this is a cry for help

Thanks wikipedia but Reznor's deep intentions and supposed message don't really matter if executed poorly (i.e. edgy lyrics and sounding like a whiny exasperated sighing fag).

Big Man with a Gun is easily the best song if you take it at face value instead of buying into Trent's ironic existential narrative.

Yeah but that's the thing: the protag of TDS is supposed to be a pathetic, whiny, entitled tryhard bitch.

The issue, you see, is that Trent chose to express ugly, unglamorous and miserable topics with songs that are only PARTIALLY ugly, unglamorous and miserable.

If he had chosen to make an album that sounds entirely disgusting and repulsive, nobody would give a shit, but at least his message wouldn't clash with the artfulness and catchiness that it sometimes has.

So like, he chose to have dumb whiny pathetic lyrics to really convey how shitty the protag is, but the badass industrial rock parts and the pretty atmospheres make it seem like that wasn't his actual intent and that at some point he just wanted to do a harsher take on David Bowie but wasn't able to write good lyrics.

I get the vibe that you're very black and white and hate it juat because others like it.

He also wouldn't write an ambitious industrial art rock album about it. So clearly realism isn't the issue here.

Trent wrote dumb-sounding lyrics from an ironic perspective cause he sucks at lyrics, and made very intricate music cause he's good at music.

I mostly just hate the lyrics, the vocals and some of the jarring musical shifts.

What I'm saying is that Trent doesn't even have the excuse of "it's supposed to sound repulsive cause the subject matter also is" because he clearly tried to make it musically engaging, impressive and mostly fun to listen to.

The problem isn't specific to him (or to this album), it's what always happens when someone tries to make entertainment based on something nasty: either you glamorize it, or you make something nasty and off-putting, but if you do a bit of both it's just kind of awkward.

How come I feel the same towards his first album and most of his albums succeeding TDS?

That's another guy who's joined in, but I feel the need to point out that I do actually like the album. I just think it's a bit plebby and immature. It's an album made for teenagers and it feels like it. However, it is interesting and creative and has a bunch of special moments. As I said, I think Closer is perfect. The chorus to Reptile is great. Piggy sounds smooth. Heresy is lame but I love the energy and his voice actually sounds good here. The last half of Ruiner is great. The outro of The Becoming is great. A Warm Place is comfy. Eraser is musically interesting. The last 2 tracks have their moments.

It's a solid album but as I said earlier, it's an album I'd be embarrassed to be found listening to.

It's not a positive for the album if yhe lyrics suck
>but muh irony
This doesn't help it, you can't just tell someone that yeah I love this album because the lyrics SUCK and they're supposed to SUCK

TDS is one of my favourite albums and was really important to me growing up but sometimes the fucking cocksucking for certain artists go too far.

>Piggy sounds smooth
yeah but once again, the lyrics are laughable

>it's an album I'd be embarrassed to be found listening to.
t.numale

I bet you have a lot of "guilty pleasure" albums too

>t.numale
how did you even make this connection?

run me through your thought process?

Because only a numale would be embarrassed by their own music taste since you claimed you liked the album, why feel embarrassed by it? same goes for guilty pleasures there is no such thing either you like it or not same for liking something ironically.

>why feel embarrassed by it?
Because it has a lot of lame and edgy parts. As I said, it's an album of moments. I listen to it for those moments. It's not a consistently good album. Overall it's solid.

Solid means consistent; Means it doesn't shift around with its quality level.

I said overall.

All the ups and down average out into a solid outing.

>Solid means consistent

"solid" doesn't describe the average quality of an album, it describes its integrity

But what is wrong with an artwork being edgy?

nothing wrong with being edgy, but you have to make it very bold and convincing.

Are you just making up definitions of words so that you can railroad me into liking your album?

read it carefully and think more about what i'm intending to mean

>i like this when they're actually playing a song, but they never keep that up for very long before they start making angry machine noises with organs or something

And why in your opinion TDS is not convincing as an album

but it IS

>arguing over whether NIN is good or not

You're both idiots because everyone knows NIN aren't even worth getting in an argument about.

Because NIN is good and people who say otherwise usually go "it's just le edgy XDDD" without nothing else.

Sure, why not?

>uh, I can't understand a single thing they sing

'solid' in that context is perfectly synonymous with 'decent'

you're just playing dumb/being autistic

read the whole thread

>I ignore all thought-out criticism and then decide to write it all off and simplify it as "le edgy XD" posting
I think I've seen this episode before.

Edgy is the least meaningful attempt to try to critize anything, as you can call anything that explores dark themes "dark". It is the easiest way to pretend something doesn't have any substance.
The Downward Spiral explores the themes of control, depression, suicide and lost of one self, it does it in a very ugly and vulgar way, it is a pretty nice showcase of what depression actually is, it potrays depression as this scary angry force that will eat you up and everyone around you.
The album manages to convicingly showcase a downfall of a man whom lost one thing that kept him together (Piggy) and then he seeked after any control in order to escape from the awful feeling, but that only made things worse.

It is much more than an edgy album and if we were to talk music wise it is a master piece.

Most complaints I've seen in this thread "it's embarassing, it's edgy, the lyrics are edgy. Some criticism doesn't even add up like

>If he had chosen to make an album that sounds entirely disgusting and repulsive, nobody would give a shit, but at least his message wouldn't clash with the artfulness and catchiness that it sometimes has.

Expect the album manages to be both catchy and fucking disgusting in its sound both at the same time, Eraser, Reptile manage to showcase wonderful music making while also suceeding at making unneasy tracks, the title track especially succeds at this

>Expect the album manages to be both catchy and fucking disgusting in its sound both at the same time
NOT in an elegant way

which is why I said it was kind of awkward.

Which you merely call "uneasy" because you have a greater degree of tolerance for wimpy vocals, blunt transitions and poorly-written basic lyrics.

Have you considered that edginess may be a valid criticism and a reason why some people actually dislike certain things?

People have explored other reasons in this thread that I think you're conveniently ignoring.

All albums posted in this thread are super plebeian and anyone who likes them is a pleb.

edginess on its own can never be a valid criticism unless you define it clearly and explain why it doesn't work.

never heard of this. Is it good?

Looks like plebs are factually correct on both accounts then

>it's just an angry man whispering over his drum machine

>needing lyrics to have poetic flair in order to deem music as good
pleb detected