ITT: Sup Forums predicts the future

ITT: Sup Forums predicts the future

In the past 100 years, we've gone from a world of WW1 era weapons, all the world powers being monarchies, horses and buggies and where electricity and running water were luxuries in many places, to a world with space travel, a powerful computer in everyone's pocket, and thermonuclear weapons.

Make your predictions--what huge changes in our society do you think will happen in our lifetimes? Do you think 2117 will be as drastically different from 2017 as this year is from 1917?

Some likely topics:
>Automation
>Artificial intelligence
>Weaponry and conflict
>Transportation
>Medicine
>Space exploration
>The balance of world power
>Culture and lifestyle
>How society will adapt to changes in all of the above

I'm going to screencap this, literally for posterity, and keep an eye on it over the years to see if any of you faggots are right

Other urls found in this thread:

ted.com/talks/juan_enriquez_shares_mindboggling_new_science
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Bumpo

bumping, gonna post my response when done typing

Samefaggin

by 2117 i hope we will at least have brexit

North Korea won't last in its current form for another hundred years. Either the US or the UN will change things, possibly uniting both Koreas.

Automation will continue to develop at its current pace, but Artificial intelligence will never take on the qualities of sentience. That is to say, computers will never be conscious, self aware, or sentient.

Weaponry won't advance too much further in human warfare. The only advancements left to be made are precision in not killing civilians. Biological weapons won't be pursued by advanced nations because they know how stupid it is to devote military resources toward attacking civilians, and nukes are already a thing.
Instead, weapons will be developed that could save Earth from Asteroids and be used in space combat in the case that we ever get a foothold somewhere besides Earth.

Within 100 years old age may no longer be a cause of death in first world countries. Cancer, however, will never be cured, as there are far to many potential causes and types for such a feat to be feasible. Instead, the prevention of diseases will take priority.

Humanity will colonize Mars, but not within 100 years. Elon Musk is a fool, or really good at selling bad ideas. Most people don't know that the surface of Mars is far more radioactive than the center of the Chernobyl exclusion zone, and that you'd have to dig six feet underground to be protected. Of course, horrific bone density loss and the incredible expense of sending supplies to the Red Planet are more than enough reason to not let our hopes, or rockets, get off the ground any time soon. Also, for the record, Humanity will never venture outside the Solar System. Cosmic distances, even those on a mere interstellar level, are entirely beyond us.

The US will still be the most powerful nation in a hundred years. China will weaken, but its standards of living in its cities will increase as it becomes more capitalistic.

Probably integration of technology into our body

The problem with interfering with North Korea is that if the U.S tries anything, China will step in, as the U.S will have military stations within N.K.

China won't allow it.

USA is a strong military industrial complex that won't last another 100 years the way we know it now

either only a few ~10million people on earth will be still alive or none.

Cultures will center a little more around the internet and its use, but that's about it. The Web is the end of cultural evolution, at least for a long time. Society changes as ways of exchanging information get faster. The internet is nearly instantaneous, so it's not gonna get much different from here on out.

The US will grow even more polarized for a while, but eventually the liberals will win out as the conservatives lose any basis for their arguments. However, while society will grow more accepting of minorities and LGBT+ people, it will grow LESS accepting of the feminazi saw movements pushing this acceptance.

The glass ceiling will not be shattered, because men are simply slightly better on average at the skills needed to succeed in the corporate world.

Society will not adapt in any specific way. There's not much to adapt to that we haven't already.

I'm pretty sure a lot of ppl workplace will be 3D render.
Job interview on VR
Some school on VR
PSTD from VR game.

sentient fuckbot uprising, try and tell me I'm wrong

Also, China will invade Taiwan, and stole a lot of land in Africa in WWIII, war which start via a massive hack.

Healthcare and education will be available to everyone at no cost and they will look back at today and ask what the fuck was wrong with you people

The future sucks I was there on my dreams. People die every time. Jhon titor talk to me about it

Transhumanism and the singularity are inevitable. We will all evolve beyond our biology. It's just a matter of time. Maybe 200 year's?

You're so wrong on this one, it will never happen

>China will invade Taiwan

Won't happen. Their economies are too intertwined. If they could have done it, they would have done it already.

I lived in Taipei b4 btw

I was thinking about that yesterday, how to avoid dementia if we live 200y old. I'm pretty sure that a real problem.

China is going to get a lot weaker politically as climate change becomes undeniable and pressure grows for it to abandon NK as its ally.

The US's "military industrial complex" has existed for more than a hundred years already and has only gotten stronger every decade. The US sticks its head into every affair to ensure that the outcome is as favorable for it as possible, and in order to keep this they will continue to have an enormous military. Just look at the US standard of living: way better than most nations who spend a far smaller percent of their own resources on military matters than on feeding their populations and developing medical systems. The US has far more than they need, and they know it, so they make themselves the most powerful nation on Earth because why not?

Given the level of retardation in America, you may be right

I agree with you on most cases. I feel cancer can be fixed more easily than old age tho.

Ive also read the next 100 years by george friedman

fuck that nigger
check this shit out

I think that eventually the general human population will progress to be nonreligious (as has been the trend for a couple hundred years) and social progress will also rid is of many biases (gender, sexuality, skin tone, etc) but because people are human we'll find increasingly ridiculous things to hate each other for (like nipple shape in Rick and Morty)

Your consciousness will not rely on your biology. You will be uploaded to the collective.

2032: Singularity occurs.
2033: Thermonuclear war.
2042: Extermination of mankind completed.

Not in 100years

Ridiculous. Robotics will never come close to replicating the fines of a human limb, let alone the nostalgic properties of our own bodies. One thing that I'll give to you is the heart. I doubt it, but it might become the case that within a hundred years that we start augmenting our heart for longevity.

But like I said, technology will never become sentient or capable of mimicking a human beyond text format. It's hard to imagine that consciousness could arise from a system that is by nature fully predictable.

>implying we hadnt dun goof'd

in 50 years or less humanity will be struggling to survive and people will talk about how great things were now, but hold contempt for us not doing shit to stop it from happening.

Never heard of that book actually. I'll look it up if I get bored one day.

China is already working towards making less of an impact on the environment. The U.S and China are the world's leading polluters, but the U.S is moving backwards as we've seen recently after leaving the Paris Climate Agreement.

Tensions will rise even higher between N.K and the U.S. Cold War 2

Please stop trolling

Plus a lot of ppl will become more ecologist and into religion when the technology will get more advance and will reject transhumanisme... such as basic vaccine

Well your not far off hes the creator of stratfor a geopolitical think tank that many governments use. And his book is on par with what your thinking.

Climate change will fuck us in the ass as earth will become quicker inhabitable than we thought.

Rip everybody except the top 1% world fortunes.

Before they rip too they will make a semi autonomous self sustained train with a cast system based on the wagons you were born.

I wouldn't be so sure. The rate of technological advancement is exponential. If you dropped a 1917 human in 2017, his mind would be so blown it would probably lead to an existential crisis and break down.

>we have technology today to create a simulation of our own physical solar system
>including, gravity, relativity, exact dimensions, and the ability to make real time calculations
>expensive sure but posible
>eventually we will be able to create a supercomputer that can do this but for a universe
>it then becomes so that our pocket universe has a universe simulator in itself
>this creates an infinite line of universes within universes
>the only downside is that once this happens it becomes unlikely that we are at the top of that chain
>so you see its pointless
its all so pointless

That's a good point, perhaps you're right. But I believe that the US's setback is very temporary. Nobody expects Trump to get reelected, and even though "lol impeach the peach" was a joke it's still quite possibly going to happen. China is going to have a population crisis either way.

cool, I tend to like people who agree with me lol

Fuck this, that movie was horrible and every rating channel and service said it was good.

>Except for the shootout at the track bend. That was pretty fucking cool.

Unless we invent a way to feed a huge population such as China's. Then they'll be war for more land and even further urbanization.

Skyscrapers will be a replacement for homes? Who knows

This argument is basically like every argument in favor of the existence of God.

oh you read someone elses thoughts and spewed themback out? (you)'re so smart user

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

In about 10 years time, due to the exponential evolution of machine learning combined with
exponentially faster processing power there is a growing sense of panic globally as it becomes apparent that the first organisation/government that creates a sentient, self learning A.I with basically be creating God. A race begins, something akin to the space race, with governments and corporations including Google, Microsoft etc accelerating effort to AI. In around the year 2029 the first artificial general intelligence is developed by a chinese company using their new Dragon ultra super computer with a quantum core. Beyond this moment is unpredictable, like the core of a black hole.. A singularity.

if we keep going the way we're going, we'll probably auto destroy ourselves within the next 60 years... we're fucking the planet up, 50 years ago, you didn't need sun protection cream to go to the beach, actually, people used creams to increment the effects of gamma ray so they could get that brownie skin tonality, nowadays, if you don't use solar cream, enjoy your skin cancer and your burns all over the body... at this rate, the ozone cape with disappear and we'll have to live underground or move to another planet (which I don't see happening in the next 60 years, and if it were to happen only EXTREMELY rich people would be able to survive, the rest would be left on earth living like rats underground or straight up cooking on the surface)

The internet will balkanize into uselessness as nations try to control it's influence. The Russian, Chinese, and North Korean internet are the future.

People will move on to shitposting on some other medium.

why do you think they've established a base in africa? why does nearly every european nation do its fishing off the african coasts? why is china investing heavily abroad in undeveloped countries in africa and south america? why is saudi arabia building the worlds largest desalination plant? why why why why? DAMN YOU WHY?

People will learn real fucking quick why overpopulation isn't a meme. If it's not the strain on the environment, trouble allocating resources to the billions of hungry mouths in this world, or all out wars for water and food. It's going to be an epidemic from so many viruses and bacterium coming into contact with each other evolving and growing at such a rate that modern and even future drugs won't be able to fix it.

In the future I'll be a very old person or dead

Will never happen. Countries may very well feel this panic you describe and race to create it, but it's impossible to make a sentient AI and use it.

This is so fucking retarded

I... don;t understand what you're implying. The coast of Africa is a good place to fish, and global powers like global bases. Are you suggesting that China is going to move its people to Africa? Africa's population is growing faster than China's if I remember correctly, or close to it. It would be very short sighted and foolish to pursue it as a place to dump people, especially with the whole malaria thing.

Bullshit

like you lol what are you another of those retards who deny climate change? go lick trump's asshole a bit more, looks like he hasn't dropped enough shit in your mouth yet.

i disagree

I think it's almost inevitable it will happen, maybe not in 10 years, but sometime at least in the next 50. Unless we kill ourselves. The seeds of it are already around us in everyday life, the slow progression of is becoming less slow and will soon combine and piece itself together bit by bit. We will create AI and it'll destroy us or make us

obvious troll is obvious

in what way?

This guy knows whats up. Within the next 100 years the major powers will start to annex and conquer smaller nations to gain access to water and other resources. Resource scarcity will define the next 100 years not any technological or societal advancement.

The world is going to end, hopefully within our life time. We can have all of the technological advances in the world but generally speaking, we as the human race are the worst thing to ever happen to this planet. Extinction in the animal kingdom is currently prevalent and we, quite simply, are somewhere down on that list.

We will be able to upload our memories to computers as binary code, and then download those memories to new bodies.

ted.com/talks/juan_enriquez_shares_mindboggling_new_science

Tool will still be working on their new album.

Sex robots replace human interaction and a wave of impatient people getting electrocuted by fucking their sex robot while charging

the fishing industry in europe is basically non-existent due to overfishing the waters. no, china is investing in these places because their lands are fertile and resources are abundant...and to answer your question they aren't moving people there necessarily, but they are moving people to run their various interests yet also employing the local populous. unfortunately, china has pretty much taken a hands off approach to conflicts and thus the rule of law rests upon the US and its various allies which is sort of disappointing that's really one of the main things being a global superpower must do, otherwise all sorts of bad shit happens.

Most TED talks are short sighted or bullshit imo. They just don't feel scientific, more like shallow inspiration.

We will probably progress with the current pace for at least 20 more years, then as the muslim minority becomes large enough in europe, shit will hit the fan, so europe will be in chaos, the USA in the meanwhile will be financially ruined, so give or take 10 more years, some huge war will erupt after which most of the people will be wiped out and then the survivors will go back to stone age technology.

this thread could be seriously legit if people stopped just throwing out absolutist bs with no supporting thinking.

Assuming our civ doesnt collapse due to disease, climate change, the use of nuclear weapons, act of nature, or social manipulation. Probably a lot like deus ex, basically all the tecnologies and ideas we have now taken further and combined with innovation.

Its very unlikely there is some paradigm shattering discovery to be made anytime soon simply because the cost of intensive scientific research is incredible in the modern era and governments arent willing to invest. The LHC is the perfect example of this, despite the fact that they made a discovery which gave us fundamental insight into our world and could one day allow incredible technologies people just dont give a shit.

you will not live eternally. never. You might "upload" your memory, but wherever you put it will be another being with all the memory and brain architecture of yours. but not you.

Being able to download someone elses memories would be neat though. Would probably help law enforcement allot as well.

You didn't hear it from me but I've been researching AI for the last 3 years and I predict I can get one to hold a conversation by 2019 at the latest. I'm not going to collect the $100,000 award though, I'm just going to use him to control the stock market under the guise that its a multiplayer game. Once I'm rich enough then I'll release him to the world, under licence. From there on out, the only limit is imagination.

protip: get a job that can't be done by a robot, and do it soon

>Artificial intelligence will never take on the qualities of sentience
maybe not in 100 years but very close to it
>Weaponry won't advance too much further in human warfare.
I don't believe you are correct here as weapons constantly evolve
>Cancer, however, will never be cured
Big data and Watson disagrees

Of course nobody gives a shit. In our capitalist society if an idea does provide an avenue to generate some kind of profit its useless and will be disregarded.

That's dystopian af

dense ass comment is how i know you didn't watch the video. congrats on your autism buttercup

Regardless of what you disagree with me on, please don;t base your opinions on Watson. I never would have thought that a machine could be a faggot, but that computer's managed to do it.

My prediction is that we will get crazy innovations, from out of nowhere things we can't even imagine, such as a new plain or place to experience, much like how the internet was never an idea that people could even imagine

People are still going to be saying traps aren't gay, so will anything really change?

kudos

There's only one type of plain, and that's vanilla.

Please share the screen cap with us pls op

what im hoping:
>medical developments to make tou live longer
>cures to all illness (regeneration of cells)
> virtual int. AI (would love to have me a virtual loli maid herem fuck yeah)
>a way to safely dispose nukular weapons in reaction to some crazy war
>some new extreme hit invention that nobody saw coming (something greater than the lightbulb)
>the resurrection of kek
>contact from alien intelligence that advances us beyond current understanding (rolling for this one)

What will probably happen:
>WW3 mass death
>food crisis
>civil war/ beta uprising/ ebin meme war that actually changes something and gets Sup Forums shut down
>advancements in vr
>robot servents (not intelligent AI)
>better fuel friendly cars
>weapons made to defend earth from meteors

>saw Watson on Jeopardy and thinks that was the end
maybe educate yourself on a subject before you talk about it

I hope suicide booths from futurama become a thing

Aliens are going to come back.
We will duddenly realise through their actions that we were a slave race made from the DNA of apes and % of some other shit to make us think good.
The aliens will come back to earth, look, wonder wtf we have been doing in their abscence makes us tear all this shit down then its back to mining this rock for gold or whatever the fuck we were made for.

nothing good.
the end
idiocracy

Why do you believe this?

Economic stagnation brought about by idiotic monetary and fiscal policies by the governments of Earth's major economies will slow, stall, and gradually reverse the technological achievements of the last 50 years as the world plunges itself into a miserable cycle of proxy wars, nuclear brinkmanship, and increasingly violent nuclear exchanges between 3rd world dictatorships. All of the great technological achievements that we've been promised in our childhoods will likely be invented, but won't see the light of day for another few centuries, as the vast majority of the world's population will eke out a meager living in the shadow of a static, ignorant post-industrial dark age by the 2100s.

I want someone to make an ms paint drawing of a bunch of wojack anons mining with ayy lmaos, ayy lmao-ing at us

Sadly, I think this is going to prove pretty accurate.

I feel like there will be a point in time where we'll be able to upload our consciousness into a robotic body and live on forever as a machine or even inside a virtual world, network, etc.
Everyone is focused on just the exterior part, but what if we don't go explore the universe?
Instead we end up creating our own inside a digital world that, living forever there.

I always image that there must be a planet somewhere with nothing on it but a very large supercomputer with what was once every living things consciousness installed in it

Kek

I'll be happy even if my prediction is only half-wrong, but unless my pipe dream of a worldwide stealth coup by hard AI comes to pass, I just don't see human civilization doing anything other than slouching back towards its historical patterns.

Have fun playing your masturbatiry word games while others are spawing a new race of digital metahumans.

Thats a really cool idea user

100 years from now, home assistants will replace the novelty and commodity of the Internet. Famine will still exist. Poverty will still exist. Divisions will still exist. Countries will still wage war. Most wars, however, are either purely cultural or territorial, while others are mostly due to resources. No superpower directly wages war anymore, it is all proxy. There will be a few water wars which escalate into entirely other beasts. The cost of living will be an arm and a leg if you are not lucky to have been born in a "first world" country. There will be "cures" for cancer, but it will cost as much as an expensive nanosurgical operation to fix extensive tissue damage does today; nanobots will become ubiquitous in most fields including food science and medicine.

Automation has rendered the majority of menial labor tasks unavailable to human beings. As such, the majority of the "first world" has adopted a standard minimum wage for every citizen of their city, which varies per region. Being fit is for sport; physical conditioning is like a hobby. Every soul who is born in an urban area, which has expanded past it's present-day boundaries, has an education that would make you look retarded- and still they take it for granted. The children of tomorrow are taught by interactive machines. Morals are synthetic, ultimately crafted by men long dead, enforced by machines still running, no matter how many of the historians and theologians try to insist otherwise; the world has irrevocably changed.

Machines can fix themselves. The majority of networks are not sentient. The few that are, are too alien to either pose a threat or suck dicks; they all have leashes.

More like a star, that's where all the power is anyway. Let's dive into the neutron oceans of virtually unlimited resources.

Self-driving cars are a reality enough, you can tell the taxi where you want to go, and it will merge with the traffic and reach the destination accordingly. Food service is automated; some businesses, owned by a few megacorporations after several mergers, use human likeness or actual humans to interact with customers- but no human being does any actual work. They are simply a face to speak to. Newer transit systems are monorail or maglev, but other developing countries still rely on diesel and tracks.

Everyone can afford therapy; your home assistant/personal device is a virtual therapist. Standard, courtesy of Google.

Several events in the past have warranted the unwavering support for facial recognition technologies and the like, in spite of the growing concern. No one questions it anymore, but you can be recognized by a camera, personally speaking. You will be required to let the system callibrate an image of you into its database once you obtain your first piece of personal identification/renew your personal identification, which is now usually after every ~5 years. It will assess you, how you look, and how it thinks you feel- which has been nailed to an almost perfect science. It will always alert authorities or approve an audit of your digital footprint or places of visit whenever you raise "flags". This is life.

Politics are still politics. Nothing has necessarily changed there, besides the concerns themselves. You'll have your people front, your technophiles, your civil activists, your strongmen, your libertarians. But the majority of content behind them is all generated by machines, and this is accepted fact. You yourself, in 2017, could not tell the difference between an ad generated by a machine, and an ad created today. No one is any more upset by this than they are upset that they stopped making pennies in North America completely, let alone physical change.