I suppose most people would say that I just don't get it. I'd have to agree with that...

I suppose most people would say that I just don't get it. I'd have to agree with that. I really don't have any sort of clue as to why people love this album so much. The one saving grace of this project may have been it's originality, but just because something is unique doesn't make that thing good. In the case of Loveless, I think that the reason it is so unique is not because Kevin Shields has some kind of devine musical insight that other artists lack, but rather that other artists have had the good sense to avoid using the same kinds of songwriting strategies and production techniques. Those that HAVE been influenced by My Bloody Valentine seem to use the techniques a little more tastefully.

Sonically, I find Loveless to be the most gut-wrenching horrific unatractive pile of terrible sounds that I have ever experieneced. It is not just that I don't prefer this type of sound-- I actually do appreciate the use of noise and feedback in some cases-- but the constant onslaught of piercing noise on Loveless is actually physically painful to me. I can not physically stand to listen to this album. One song in particular, Blown A Wish, contains a particularly piercing almost inaudibly high frequency tone throughout. That leads me to my central problem with Loveless. I'm not convinced that Kevin Shields spent all the time and money on this album to "perfect his artistic vision." I think that much of the production on this album was very accidental and unintentional. I could be wrong, and it's entirely possible that Loveless turned out exactly the way Shields wanted it to from the beginning. I just don't think that's the case.

The vocals are almost sigh-like and very low in the mix-- almost as to say "nothing I'm saying is important". No other album has aroused in me such a desire to turn it off. After repeated listening-- trying to give this album a chance-- I would be perfectly content to never hear it again.

Too bad for you. It's a good album.

shit taste

another episode of user doesnt like Loveless

Fag

(You)

Music really just comes down to a matter of taste. Specifically your taste in musical styles and more importantly in the case of loveless, your taste in the aesthetics of the sound.
Musically, I think that Loveless is tolerable, but certainly not good. I find absolutely no emotion communicated with this music-- it seems pointless and uninspired to me. The biggest issue with the music (as with much popular music that uses distorted guitars) is that one of the key elements of music is all but ignored: dynamics. There is only one dynamic in Loveless: painfully loud. From start to finish, this doesn't waver much. It's just a matter of personal taste, but typically I can't stand songs with such rigid dynamics.

fall in love and it will make sense

I've tried at least every four years since its release to appreciate this album, and it's always meh by the fifth song. I'd rather stick with my Sonic Youth and Jesus y Mary Chain records.

you're wrong

I suppose most people would say that I just don't get it. I'd have to agree with that. I really don't have any sort of clue as to why people love this album so much. The one saving grace of this project may have been it's originality, but just because something is unique doesn't make that thing good. In the case of Loveless, I think that the reason it is so unique is not because Kevin Shields has some kind of devine musical insight that other artists lack, but rather that other artists have had the good sense to avoid using the same kinds of songwriting strategies and production techniques. Those that HAVE been influenced by My Bloody Valentine seem to use the techniques a little more tastefully.

Sonically, I find Loveless to be the most gut-wrenching horrific unatractive pile of terrible sounds that I have ever experieneced. It is not just that I don't prefer this type of sound-- I actually do appreciate the use of noise and feedback in some cases-- but the constant onslaught of piercing noise on Loveless is actually physically painful to me. I can not physically stand to listen to this album. One song in particular, Blown A Wish, contains a particularly piercing almost inaudibly high frequency tone throughout. That leads me to my central problem with Loveless. I'm not convinced that Kevin Shields spent all the time and money on this album to "perfect his artistic vision." I think that much of the production on this album was very accidental and unintentional. I could be wrong, and it's entirely possible that Loveless turned out exactly the way Shields wanted it to from the beginning. I just don't think that's the case.

The vocals are almost sigh-like and very low in the mix-- almost as to say "nothing I'm saying is important". No other album has aroused in me such a desire to turn it off. After repeated listening-- trying to give this album a chance-- I would be perfectly content to never hear it again.

I agree there is no dynamic range here, but rather, what made it fascinating for me was (subjectively speaking) the wilderness of vague and gauzy heartache and melancholy contained within its singular dynamic. Light itself was once thought to be of a singular nature until shown through a prism. Likewise, Loveless takes one color (maybe two) of the rainbow and unexpectedly splits it open into a whole new spectrum of color previously unavailable to human comprehension.

Intentional or accidental, Kevin Shields, like the best scientists of historical fame, quite stumble upon their miracles often in pursuit of other objects, and we the common folk can only stand back and marvel or grumble at their critical acclaim. There were even songs on the album I did not like for years, until I loved them.

This is definitely not for everyone. Every object has its milieu, within which it is loved, and from without is a cause for blank stares and head scratching. I for one cannot penetrate the yodeling of Jimmie Rogers, or the snotty sneering vocals of modern mainstream pop-punk. But I guess someone's gotta like anything if its fame is to endure.

do yourself a favor and listen to this album on a loud stereo system preferably with a subwoofer. Also getting stoned helps.
Do you like noise pop/ rock or just noise?

Come back after you've heard this record played really really loud while you're on ecstasy.

Listen to the Jesus and Mary Chain and early Animal Collective if you think Loveless is noisy

Isn't this a pasta?

Jamc isn't as noisy as Loveless...

Just googled it. Nothing. If it's a pasta, it's fresh.

more like pulse demon

>babby's first harsh noise
lel

I suppose most people would say that I just really love this album. I'd have to agree with that. I now know why people love this album so much. The one critic of this project may have been it's 'loudness', but just because something is loud doesn't make that thing bad. In the case of Loveless, I think that the reason it is so unique is not because Kevin Shields has some kind of divine musical insight that other artists lack, but rather that other artists have had the good sense to copy the same kinds of songwriting strategies and production techniques. Those that HAVE NOT been influenced by My Bloody Valentine seem to use the techniques a little more wrongfully.

Sonically, I find Loveless to be the most heart-wrenching,beautiful, attractive set sounds and noise that I have ever experienced. It is not just that I prefer this type of sound-- I actually don't appreciate the use of noise and feedback in some cases-- but the constant onslaught of beautifully crafted, almost god-like noise on Loveless is actually physically rejuvenating to me. I can not physically comprehend how someone could dislike this album. One song in particular, Blown A Wish, contains a particularly beautiful almost radiant high frequency tone throughout. That leads me to my central love for Loveless. I'm convinced that Kevin Shields spent all the time and money on this album to "perfect his artistic vision." I think that much of the production on this album was very beautifully crafted and in a way unintentional. I could be wrong, and it's entirely possible that Loveless turned out exactly the way Shields wanted it to from the beginning. I just don't think that's the case.

The vocals are almost sigh-like and very low in the mix-- almost as to say "everything I'm saying is not important, only used to convey emotion". No other album has aroused in me such a desire to turn it on again and again. After repeated listening, I would be perfectly content to hear this album again and again.

agreed

Only Shallow is an amazing song tho

>Only Shallow
>best song on Loveless

Instead of being underage faggots, try to have a good discussion. OP has some good points.

dropping the biggest redpill in music
loveless sucks
this album is the best shoegaze album in existence

I think it's someone rewriting a pasta but with longer words

>album
How is this even a possible mistake to make, holy shit? it's like 4 tracks

still an album my friend

> Blown A Wish, contains a particularly piercing almost inaudibly high frequency tone throughout

Blown a Wish is probably the most beautifully, 'audible' song on the album alongside To Here Knows When and Soon in my opinion.

But hey, you don't like it, so don't listen to it.

I never said it was the best song tho
It is the only title I remember, probably because I have had to listen to the album so many times to "get it". It gets another go next year.

Listen to Psychocandy in full and tell me the middle tracks aren't noisy

>no interesting actual songwriting; each track is as shallow as radio top 40 pop music
>dynamic and frequency range usage is quite low for a record whose selling point is its production
>percussion doesn't do a great job of being rhythm section nor does it complement the rest of the piece all that well
>no clever weaving of the various noises used, everything's relatively...static when weaving sounds like that had been a thing for decades; different layers only come in when switching to a different song
It's the epitome of boring once the initial wow factor comes off.

now look up the definition of EP einstein

>mfw everyone in this thread claims that an album is better when it's "noisy" and "loud"

Good job guys, Mr. Rubin is proud

Interesting perspective, after the 5th song for me, the album really 'clicks' in my opinion

Do you think an EP is just an album with less songs? No, you are wrong.

>inb4 le wikipedia is not trustable

Same here. I can't get into this album. I really like the production but i just find the composition very boring.And the lyrics do not touch me at all.

Holy shit you are so angry about it XD

>lyrics do not touch me at all.

That's not the point, why do you think you can barely hear what Bilinda is saying? Think of the lyrics as another 'instrument', its used to convey emotion.

>and I know this level of detail because I am, in fact, the one singing

>this level of detail because I am, in fact, the one singing

It's not rocket science, there's a reason you can barely hear the lyrics in some songs.

>Tfw this never clicked for me
All these years and I don't get it. I can appreciate its influence, but its never held my interest like other shoegaze albums proceeding it have

listen to isnt anything, and go back

IT'S mediocre

I have severe insomnia, averaged 2 hours of sleep per night for months with occasional 80-100 hour periods of wakefulness. Saw tons of doctors, went through different types of cognitive behavioral therapy, sleep restriction, and of course a fuckload of different sleeping pills. Nothing really worked.

But you know what did work? Motherfucking Loveless by MBV. It wasn't guaranteed that I'd fall asleep and when I did I'd usually wake up just as Soon was ending but for ~48 minutes I could sleep more often than not.

Obviously a great album on it's own, but I've put so much personally meaning into it that I doubt I'll ever find a musical piece I enjoy more.