Just listened to a classical music album for the first time (pic related) where do I go next...

Just listened to a classical music album for the first time (pic related) where do I go next? Would prefer something less repetitive and with more percussiom

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vRHZu5xoIe0
youtube.com/watch?v=qDTwju2eHpI
youtube.com/watch?v=DJh6i-t_I1Q
youtube.com/watch?v=azRoM3IRgn0
youtube.com/watch?v=VkPlNQ4ap1o
youtube.com/watch?v=lJPJywWfyGo
youtube.com/watch?v=QpxN2VXPMLc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

youtube.com/watch?v=vRHZu5xoIe0

start with the Bach

youtube.com/watch?v=qDTwju2eHpI
youtube.com/watch?v=DJh6i-t_I1Q
youtube.com/watch?v=azRoM3IRgn0

How the fuck is this classical you fucking newfag

bait

how is it not?

Minimalism is as close to classical as movie soundtracks and orchestral video game OSTs

Think your fedora's on a bit too tight, friend.

neckbeards all love Steve Reich though

I think it is your fedora that is too tight :)

Sounds pretty good, will hear the rest of it
Could u be more specific pls?
Pretty good stuff
If it wasn't made obvious by what I said, I don't know much about classical music
It's not

>not starting with the Greeks

Rookie mistake

youtube.com/watch?v=VkPlNQ4ap1o

If this isn't bait, you'll fucking love Terry Riley's In C

This performance is particularly good
youtube.com/watch?v=lJPJywWfyGo

It's similarly 'repetitive' but evolves almost randomly over the course of the piece as each musician gets to choose when to enter with a piece of music and when to leave, as long as they don't fall too far behind or ahead.

except no? minimalism was a massive movement in classical in the 20th century. it was integral to the development of classical/art music in general and still has influence to this day with postminimalism and totalism. it has nothing to do with movie or video game soundtracks.

you can't just say something isn't classical because it's your stupid opinion. minimalism such as the piece in the OP is literally composed and performed in the classical tradition (written sheet music using music theory).

you're retarded

>starting with the greeks
>missing out on centuries of music

youtube.com/watch?v=QpxN2VXPMLc

this is 100% factual. avoid the film score guys like satie.

I love MF18M, and it does work as a decent start into western art music. At some point I would recommend revisiting it once you're more used to this style of music as it has some interesting subtleties worth coming back for.

As for what you want,

Béla Bartók's "Music For Strings, Percussion, and Celesta" as it's got a ton of percussion stuff in it. Recommended versions include the one conducted by Ferenc Fricsay or Charles Dutoit for a relatively newer recording. This is probably exactly what you're looking for and where I would personally recommend you go next.

You want nothing but percussion though, there's also Edgard Varèse's "Ionisation". Again, it's nothing but percussion so it's got like literally not-existent tonal qualities like traditional melody and stuff, but still very cool. It's unlike the vast majority of things considered western art/"classical" music.

If you're still okay with Reich, there's always his work called "Drumming". Like with MF18M, just go with the original recording here. Minimalist so repetitive as well, but the rhythm patterns get increasingly complex once phasing comes into play.

You do realize that movie composers ALSO compose with "music theory", sheet music and such, right?
You do realize that a lot of movie and OST composers are mostly inspired by composers such as Glass and Reich right?
And minimalism is accessible as those
Denying these makes you the retarded one

>You do realize that movie composers ALSO compose with "music theory", sheet music and such, right?

then explain to me how they aren't classical? are they just existing in some separate territory that classical never covered? from what I understand most contemporary film composers work in the neo-romantic style which IS classical.

>You do realize that a lot of movie and OST composers are mostly inspired by composers such as Glass and Reich right?

Yeah film directors rip off a lot of good composers, that's unfortunately the nature of the industry. It doesn't mean there aren't good film composers, and again it also doesn't mean minimalism isn't classical.

And stuff like Mozart or Bach or Beethoven is more or at least equally as accessible as Steve Reich. Most people who aren't very into music would probably bitch about how "repetitive" minimalism is and gush about how deep and complex Bach is.

You are talking out your ass.