When did pass interference become such a thing...

When did pass interference become such a thing? Was there a certain season that the refs decided that it needed to be called as often as possible? I've been watching some older football games, and it seems that even as recent as 1999, in most games it was rarely called, if at all. I feel like these pass interference calls have such a significant impact on the game, and it makes no sense why they are called so often now, when they didn't used to be. Hasn't the game always been generally the same?

Other urls found in this thread:

profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/10/pereira-says-emphasis-on-illegal-contact-didnt-seem-logical/
pro-football-reference.com/years/NFL/index.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Mel Blount

NFL wrote up an interesting article about the evolution of the rules, and they talk about pass interference

Became more prevalent in the mid 2000's. With the dramatic decrease in QB talent the league has to give as much leverage to offenses as possible. It also helps pad the stats of babbys like Brees and Brady by giving them more first downs.

To add a little bit more to this, there are only about 6-7 NFL tier QBs actively playing in a given season. If defenses were allowed to play like they used to in the 70's and 80's, the patriots and broncos would have like 10 rings by now

goodell disguises his rule changes as promoting safety when he's actually trying to speed up the game to a faster paced, pass heavy, high scoring format to increase viewership and make more money.

> le olden times was better

it was even worse than college football level play back then

I never said it was better you illiterate cocksucker.

Perhaps the pass interference rules are fine now as they are, I think it is objectively unfair for the defensive back to hit the receiver or interfere in any way before the ball is there, but I think that the penalty for pass interference may be a bit too harsh. It can pretty much decide games with how it is now where the ball is placed at the spot of the foul. They should just make it a five yard penalty and a first down. Maybe even a ten yard penalty and a first down. Also.. what the fuck is the difference between defensive holding and pass interference. Aren't they pretty much the same thing? Yet the penalty for them is so drastically different.

Defensive holding is called when the ball is not in play.

you mean offensive pass interference?

The NFL recognizes the growth in popularity is tied to its superstars and fantasy football, so they tailor the rules to empower star (offensive) players as much as possible.
So you get pass interference out the ass, touching a QB on the helmet is a personal foul, etc. All for the love of money.

>maybe I should move
>no, it is the people who are wrong

>cyclists
>people

Have the new rules prevented dynasties? The last one was the Patriots during the 2000s, with the Cowboys in the 90s and the 49ers in the 80s. Right now the Pats look like the most likely dynasty of this decade too, but once BB and TB are gone, who will step up? Are defenses more important to a potential dynasty team?

>penalties off set
>replay down
Cowcucks still defend this shit 2 years later, worst hosing in the NFL since the fail mary.

they would never call offsetting PI, it would have been 15 yards against Detroit

The problem isn't that it's called too often, it's that it's called too arbitrarily and a single call can decide a game. It's the same thing with holds, which happen on every play but are only sometimes penalized. The current PI rules are fine with the exception of meme plays where the QB just takes a wild shot downfield against a trigger-happy back and hopes the guy fucks up.

it started getting really bad in 2005 when Peyton Manning and his wussbag receivers cried about the Patriots dbs pushing their shit in and got the rules changed

I wouldn't say they have gone as far to prevent dynasties, but they have certainly affected critical moments in pretty important games. Once the pats are finished, I can't really see any team stepping up to be a as dominate as the pats have been. It seems dynasties not only have an elite qb and coach, but also an elite defense. If the defense isn't elite, it is at least well trained and above average. For a team to be consistently good, they have to have a coach that can always make something out of nothing, no matter how un-talented their players may be.

I'm not denying it, but you really think one team could cause a whole league to rethink the rules? I know the league really, really wanted peyton to win, but this seems a bit far fetched

>what the fuck is the difference between defensive holding and pass interference

Holding is when a DB impedes a WR after 5 yards BEFORE the QB has thrown. Once the ball is in the air, it's always PI

>The last one was the Patriots during the 2000s

It's the same dynasty, been happening since '01

DPI became more of a thing when Tom Brady came along. He owes his career to a great coach and a sympathetic rules committee.

After the 2003 season when they made illegal contact and PI and offseason point of (((emphasis))).

In 2003, 1 QB threw for 30+ TDs. In 2004, like 8-10 did and Manning set the then TD record with 49. It changed the game overnight.

You can thank none other than Peyton Manning and Bill Polian for crying their eyes out because of the Patriots smothering defense and making a mixtape for the rules committee.

Retard. Manning and Polian petitioned the rules committee to change the game to favor their offense.

At this time (2003 offseason), Brady was a good but not great QB on a team with an absolutely monster defense. Brady would NEVER have wanted those rules to go into effect.

This is why boards have age limits. Go look this stuff up, 15 year old.

profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/10/pereira-says-emphasis-on-illegal-contact-didnt-seem-logical/

Bill Polian, the Colts GM, is largely responsible for the rule changes after complaining to the league after getting manhandled by Belichick's DBs. This led to the creation and enforcement of illegal contact for the first time in league history and the crackdown on PI.

This is objectively true, Late 90s and early 2000s pats DBs would do some fucking shit to try and stop the other teams receivers, but hey, it all worked out.

Beyond Manning whining to the league and getting his way, the league decided they would sell more tickets with casual fans and attract more viewers if games ended 83-74 instead of 17-14. Therefore they decided dbs could defend receivers by breathing on them but nothing else. Actually playing defense would result in a flag.

average points scored has barely changed

pro-football-reference.com/years/NFL/index.htm

>Patriots defense man handled the colts
>Peyton "face of the league" Manning cried
>rules changed next year
>he finally wins his first owl

Tell me exactly how they did anything different then the ravens years earlier or literally any good defense before

Only difference is the colts cried about it

I thought it was common knowledge that Peyton and Polian complaining led to the rule changes. I guess not everyone is aware.
There's a ton of content on it, just google it.

[spoiler]Seattle[/spoiler], if Pete Carroll succeeds in cultivating talent the way Bill Bellichick has

Trips of truth

People would rather put the blame on brady becuase it fits their narrative

Source?

Or did you make that up?

Peyton Manning, Viewer Friendly, Fantasy Football

I made a ton of $ in the late 2000s betting the over

The NFL specifically focused on calling more defensive holding on DBs the year the Seahawks won the Super Bowl. It was a direct response to Richard Sherman and the way that secondary played defense.

*the year after the seahawks won the super bowl

That's funny, because I watched the Pats get fucked on the worst DPI call I have ever see in Denver during the 2005 divsional round

The salary cap has prevented dynasties

When they realized that "oh hey, giving a team a free 50 yards makes fixing games easier"

But every single season qb record has been destroyed 10x over, by guys like stafford even. Marino's records were legendary. Now they just look pretty good

So bad the league actually issued a statement on it

2003 AFCCG Colts cried after their passing game got btfo

Bill Polian is a huge faggot

this is bullshit there has always been a lack of qb talent

PI should be a 10yd penalty no matter where the PI happens on the field.

That way it eliminates meme QBs like Rodgers and Brees who exploits the rule trying to get a 40+yd gain by just chucking it up in double coverage hoping a PI is called

Ok, now defense exploits the shit out of that by tackling a player 40 yards downfield if they get beat by a step because hey, it's only a 10 yard penalty.

So?

Then DBs would just maul the receiver on deep passes with almost no consequences.

this

remember folks its a product. He wants the game to be enjoyable and fun as possible. Defensive low scoring games hurts his pockets. His real pro-safety stuff is just retarded though. Kicking off from the 35? fucking stupid

It's a 15 yard penalty in college and I can't recall that ever happening.

Its sad desu. Makes fags like aaron rodgers look good. Rodgers is a memechucked and guys like montana and marino were far more technically superior

It doesn't. A 15 yard cap on DPI would be great.

I'd also like to suggest that in the last two minutes, a penalty can stop reverse the clock to what it was at the snap. Up to which team didn't commit the penalty of course

Rodgers is shit, quickest way to find a casual is that they think Rodgers is great.

i must be a huge casual then

>most players and coaches are casuals

The NFL went to shit around 2000.