/daily/ - "these bitch" edition

I promise this one will bump

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>listenalong schedules, OP pics, etc.
daily-mu.blogspot.com/p/welcome.html

Previously, on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/release/ep/justin-walter/when-we-were-young/
discogs.com/Company-91-Company-91-Volume-3/release/913499
marcromboy.bandcamp.com/album/voyage-de-la-plan-te
panabrite.bandcamp.com/album/the-baroque-atrium
simatthews.bandcamp.com/album/aurora
billboard.com/charts/hot-100
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/the_albert_mangelsdorff_quintet/now_jazz_ramwong/
rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/lennie_tristano_warne_marsh/intuition/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/art_blakeys_jazz_messengers/a_night_in_tunisia/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Today, on /daily/: join my fucking tournament

I would if I had any fucking idea what's going on in that picture

i've listened to less of the essentials than i thought, what's most worthwhile?

oh i forgot, Gang of Four - To Hell With Poverty

(You) give me a recc in the form of a SONGEE or EP of similar length to a single
the cacophony at the top is a poorly organized loser's bracket I may or may not use if I want to make it more convoluted and do double elimination
danke

/gaily/ boys are probably going to say Eureka
I would say all 3 of the King Crimson albums

denzel curry - zeltron 6 billion

yeah i've been meaning to listen to Eureka for ages. are the other King Crimson albums much different? i didn't enjoy ITCOTCK much at all

Larks' Tongues is half improv stuff and half hard rock/metal, more experimental I guess. Red is pretty much proto prog metal with an improv interlude (and one of the best songs of all time with Starless).
Discipline is math rock/new wave with a completely different lineup besides Bruford and Fripp, like Talking Heads style new wave but more technical.

So apparently there's a new GYBE album that's coming out this year.

Red is worth a shot.

Oh yeah Rock Bottom too, since it's perfect :^)

Tim Hecker - Ravedeath, 1972 (2011)
>ambient, drone

"The Piano Drop" is one of the most stunning pieces of ambient music I've ever heard. Hecker has always had a penchant for really innovative, enveloping sound design (every album of his falls perfectly under the "headphone album" descriptor), but that track takes the cake, it's an absolutely stunning, radically inventive piece. The rest of the album is really solid, especially the closing "In the Air" trilogy, yet the opener always stands as the best, most engrossing track. Rather normal ambient takes up the rest of the album's runtime, and while it's very good, considering who's performing it, it makes me clamor for something riskier.

3.0-

Vektor - Outer Isolation (2011)
>technical thrash metal

Here's all the evidence I need that Vektor is the most consistent band of the past decade. Not quite as raw as Black Future, not as progressive as Terminal Redux, it's kind of the red-headed stepchild in the context of Vektor's discography, but it takes that awkward position with grace. The riffs are always killer, and the vocals are exceptionally good here, some of the screams are bone-rattling in the absolute best way. It has a level of saminess that isn't present on Black Future or Terminal Redux, and it's just generally their least inventive, but a really good album in its own right.

3.0-

RJD2 - Deadringer (2002)
>instrumental hip hop

Cool beats, cool sampling, doesn't really do much of anything. Every track blends together, and I suppose that's to match the cohesive nature of a beat tape/DJ mix, but RJD2's already chill, nonobtrusive sound really tends to drag in this format. There are some really cool tracks here ("Ghostwriter" in particular, making great use of an Elliott Smith song), but as an album it drags like crazy.

(1/2)

OK listen to this song:
Man Man- zebra

Wait I changed my mind!!!
Destroyer- Archer on the beach ft. Tim Hecker

(2/2)

The Red Crayola with The Familiar Ugly - The Parable of Arable Land (1967)
>experimental rock, psychedelic rock, free improvisation

The "Free Form Freak-Out" tracks are all really cool, inventive slabs of improvisation, the psych tracks do absolutely nothing. Production-wise, this is generally very thin, which serves better to more instrumentally dense tracks compared to tracks where you pay attention to the guitar line or the drums, and the psych tracks just generally aren't anything special to begin with. Worth a listen really for the freak outs, which are both incredibly enjoyable and incredibly prophetic.

>genres: instrumental rock, avant-garde metal
alright i'm intrigued

>makes me clamor for something riskier.

you will probably like Virgins if you haven't heard it already. I always felt like Ravedeath was kind of safe, as you articulated. Never as good as Harmony in Ultraviolet. But Virgins I feel like is much more raw and aggressive, keeping the enveloping soundscapes but injecting a lot of emotion

I haven't listened to virgins in a /long/ time, I should check it out again. thanks!

since you didnt write the name of the song i can change my recc again right??? :^[]

rateyourmusic.com/release/ep/justin-walter/when-we-were-young/

Part of me is shocked that you gave the Blueprint a 2 but I totally should've guessed. "Heart of the City" is one of my all time favorite beats though man, shit is killer. Which reminds me, I should try a "favorite beats" list or something.

Also that Vektor album really blew me away and I was noooot expecting it! I really need to hear Terminal Redux now cause I heard it's even better.

>Robert Wyatt was on Music For Airports
Interesting
Ok. What restrictions etc

discogs.com/Company-91-Company-91-Volume-3/release/913499

The guitarist duo on this one is pretty bizarre. Anyone heard this?

robby was everywhere
that man is more mobile in a wheelchair than anybody with legs

Lol
True though. Very true

Batfinks - Vuxy (Remix)
sorry

psst i require a recc from you
90-120 minutes long

oh! snap

cool fun edition

badbadnotgood edition

>what's most worthwhile?
a png file
and the jazz section

i have a png saved, i will not go sharing it willy nilly though

my favs there are
cardiacs
jimbo o'rourke
all the anco stuff
they might be giants
henry cow
eno
kate bush
van dyke parks
fleetwood mac

i'd listen to all of those -- a lot of times!

>generic taste
kill yourself

The other headlines: Breadhead forgets I just entered his tournament

Post non-generic taste

It's the fucking Sup Forumscore essentials what did you expect

heart of the city is pretty dope, even I can't deny that. and dude, you have to check out terminal redux, you'd love it.

did i incite hostile user takeover im so sorry

I listened to it. A lot of style. Didn't care for it.

The Desperate Bicycles - Smokescreen / Handlebars

You and your fucking digits compromised out shire, man.

Are you one of the RYM shitposters?

Lmao y'all circlejer onto basement dwellers

Wherein comet dishonors your recs with his bad onions:

Boredoms: first track is a great post rock sprawl, equally reminding me of Long Season and La Novia with nice spacelady vocalizationing. Second one not quite dynamic enough for its length, would be nice at 7 or 8 min, stilll pleasant tho

Mothers: having already heard WOIIFTM, this feels samey even if it came first. I guess my threshold for being Wow'd by this is 1 album. Still lots of good stuff that I'm sure will grow on me with more listens.

Smile: album proper is nice but a bit of an incohesive mess I'm afraid, but the bonus materials are fascinating and very enjoyable, the kind of thing I'd like for all my favorite albums. A peek inside. Album proper didn't live up to the hype (could it possibly?) by even trying to correct for that, a little flat.

Alina: classical is so drastically not in my wheelhouse that I maybe should have asked for a different rec. this was very elegant and beautiful but not something I actively enjoy or would revisit. My failing, not its.

Kanye: skits 0.5, a few songs 1.0, other songs 4.5. Very mixed bag but some here (we don't care, family business) hit me good and will be spun all summer.

Fishmans: it's good

Terminus wins! 25 album drone, or... (next post)

>Terminus wins! 25 album drone, or...
or:
Pick five movements/subgenres/etc and give me a 3-5 album crash course in each (pick this option, dude)

Also offering EthyBoy a 10 album drone for having the best rec from the tourney

All right, let me get back to you in a little. I'll have some Comet-approved picks.

fuck fish
death to shinji

Rude. Also conference of the birds is a mess.

Sixes

the kpop/daily/ anti-Sup Forums alliance begins now

im trying to listen to more music from this year bc i have been slacking, so

respond to this w/ an album from 2017 to listen to and i will respond w/ a rec from an album in that same genre from any year

Rise Against - Wolves

Angles 9 - Disappeared Behind the Sun (thanks Accel for making me put this one in my backlog chart it's p good)

Btw I'd like recs from 2017 too.

Forest Swords - Compassion
/daily/'s been lukewarm on it but I disagree

camedor - en ut / alba
I don't need a rec tho, still doing the /daily/core but if you want to then do it

>genre
Alternative/Indie Rock
>rec
Girls Pissing On Girls Pissing - Eeling

>genres
Jazz
>rec
Tigran Hamasyan - Shadow Theater

>genre
Experimental
>rec
Allegheny White Fish - Allegheny White Fish Tapes

i'll just throw one at ya in case anyone else is browsin & needs a rec

>genre
experimental electronic
>rec
Anohni - Hopelessness

thanks for the recs guys :) :)

Heya /daily/!

Had a wonderful McDate with this one cool chick and there's new NIN so I'm pretty hyped.

Not gonna listen to anything today but Boris and Japanese Breakfast albums tomorrow!

thanks

If you want more prog electronic, I'd recommend this. Tech House producer works with an orchestra
marcromboy.bandcamp.com/album/voyage-de-la-plan-te

This was also a good listen, but the entire album isn't playable on bandcamp. I can upload it if you want it
panabrite.bandcamp.com/album/the-baroque-atrium

Some really recent but immersive space ambience too:
simatthews.bandcamp.com/album/aurora

Japanese Breakfast's newest was alright, I keep relistening to Till Death

You're welcome Hampman!

kill poptimism. kill it dead

>73907852
why

pop sucks

Everything you listen to is pop

obviously not what im talking about and not what poptimism is about

What's worse with """"the other pop"""" compare to what you listen to?

its not good and it is bad and i dont like it

You must be really musically literate and someone one ought to listen to when he says that something is good or bad.

agreed 100% i am the msuic exppert here

do you like pop?

you talkin bout this pop right
billboard.com/charts/hot-100

p much

Nothing wrong with pop.

Is this the real hampus, acting as though mass produced top 40 stuff is just the same as other 'pop' is poor, i expect higher quality shitposting

then you can pop deez nuts haha

Pop is pop.

You're really stretching this thin.

so then u wont mind if i stretch deez nuts across ur face

>new NIN
>new GY!BE
Second half of 2017 is shaping up to be p great eh

Don't particularly care about GY!BE but the year seems to be really good so far with a lot of cool shit to come!

Anyone listened to this yet?

didn't even know it was released! downloading rn. do you like it?

noice, downloading right now. The new Cornelius is supposed to be out around this month right?

I loved their last one so high expectations for me. The first half of the year failed to capture me but I listened to too little music from this year so far.

won again im too good

ok sure if i can think of 5 movements/subgenres etc but do keep in mind im not exactly an expert so if i pick 5 it's mostly gonna be based on my personal taste + what i feel is representative of whichever category i choose and that's all subjective etc

not bad

>McDate
thats so capitalist

by "this shit", do you mean "this thing" or "this shit (cuz it's bad)"?

Literally just a few minutes in, but my expectations are low. I'm a bit bored of Boris unfortunately.

thanks

I didn't write "shit"...

hello my jazz backlog is shrinking
rec some doot doot?

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/the_albert_mangelsdorff_quintet/now_jazz_ramwong/

Really like the way your music player looks, clean. I guess I'll try Boris too

This picture is confusing me

rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/lennie_tristano_warne_marsh/intuition/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/art_blakeys_jazz_messengers/a_night_in_tunisia/

Thanks, it took a while to learn the Foobar formatting to get it to look like I wanted. Still not entirely happy, though.

haha yeah

>This picture is confusing me
looks like one of those /r/programminghumor memes. terrible choice of memes I have to say s.

is this meme more to your liking

Hey don't talk shit about laranjo memes

literally something out of a brazilian fb meme page

amazing.

you don't like your country's memes?

I'm very proud of some of my country's memes.
jamon memes are shit though B^)

on first track and I just wanna say that Terminus won.

>disclaimer
Yeah no prob just give

idk all memes are crap really
the actual reason i have foreign memes saved is because they're in other languages not because they're good

I just saw that record yesterday, while going through electronic music bandcamp labels. Didn't expect you to be into this kind of stuff, frick