Is it possible to review music without any personal bias?

Is it possible to review music without any personal bias?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/kh0YIe5aY-A
youtube.com/watch?v=cyeibtN7sOY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I unironically agree with this to some extent.

Melon:
>compromises his views and tries to satisfy his 16 year old fanbase
>tweets like 200 times every day, mostly about memes

orange italiano:
>says whatever he wants to, without caring what anyone thinks
>tweets rarely, mostly about philosophy, politics and other important things

oregon shooter or whatever:
>dumb
>popular online
>likes fuckboy albums

le italian pedophile:
>dumb
>popular online
>likes fuckboy albums
:thinking:

>t. structuralist

>without any personal bias
>your argument has personal bias
what

yeah sure, have a machine assign random scores arbitrarily
what's the point tho

>if he posts an image, he automatically agrees with everything in it

>still getting triggered by melon in 2017

Kind of surreal to think that Scaruffi himself gave the most influential rap album of the 2010s a higher score than the melon himself. I wouldn't call his analysis good, especially since he just uses buzzwords and abstract descriptions as Fantano does, just in a different fashion.

i agree

Except Melon is an actual musician, but Scruffy isn't

it's because Scaruffi understands the lusty negro attitudes

The fact that so many books still name the Beatles as “the greatest or most significant or most influential” rock band ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Rock critics are still blinded by commercial success. The Beatles sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Rock critics are often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that the Beatles did anything worthy of being saved.

>the critic is the real artist

trips checked

youtu.be/kh0YIe5aY-A

Can someone here review our song please? It's the best song we've ever written and I'm 32 years old, so I need a break soon!

Positive feedback only please!

-padding needed

How is this a comparision melony is a meme

>has written over 4 books
so like 5 ?

>that last bullet on Fantano's side
You sure you're not a defener, OP?

Melon Man:
>rates everything on a scale of poppy bullshit to punk-ass DIY grassroots Marxist hip hop praxis
>litters his shit with memes to prove he's on the bleeding edge of edgy culture

Light 6, needs to be more open about his ridiculous punk convictions.

Pedo Patrician:
>rates everything on a scale of "too many people like this" to "this is perfectly unlistenable"
>literally nothing is a 10 just to prove that nothing is weird enough for him

5.5/10 the consummate contrarian

Xgau

>very important to him that the reader knows how smart he is, every review is esoterically-worded to the point of being impenetrable
>at the end of the day he just rates things based on how unpretentiously RAWK (but secretly verysmart) a record is--he only gives high scores to smart dudes who are acting stupid

*scissors icon* most of the time he's exactly the kind of tryhard he makes fun of

I guess the melon is the best, but that's not saying much.

Neither Kanye nor MBDTF is the most influential stop circle jerking Yeezy. Lex Luger's approach to trap production is by far the most influential thing in hip hop this decade.

Also do NOT forget Anthony's reckless behavior in the following:
youtube.com/watch?v=cyeibtN7sOY

It is, because art is a social construct and artist is just an individual, you tool.

>artist is just an individual
So is the critic

You aren't making any sense

critic by broad term as a social group or representative of social group.

artist by broad term as a social group or representative of social group.

Spudtano is a living meme who exploits vapid hipsters injecting equally vapid opinions into their empty skulls

Scruffy has some hot opinions and takes himself far too seriously but I can kinda respect him for his honesty

Christgau is just a colossal cunt

first three points are agreeable, last two not so much but an interesting viewpoint nonetheless

Horrible, talentless

nobody actually believes that the best music came out in the 60s right

music hadn't even begun, it was still a primordial soup

Why not?

Isn't that what the Beatles replaced with cute white boy smiles?

Any time someone takes Cuntgau seriously, I am happy to remind them that he rated almost every Nicki Minaj album as highly as & Nico (all got at least an A-)

person who makes something by request is laborer, not an artist.

>person who makes something by request is laborer,
Like a critic?

Music started in 1910, dumbass

67-73 was the most fruitful and progressive period in musical history. Great music is being released in greater volumes today, but there has never been as much musical pioneering and experimentation as in those years. Back when a top-5 record label would gladly spend more money than ever before on some kid who wanted to make a ragtime-style concept album.

So Leonardo da Vinci wasn't an artist? Or Mozart? Or Shakespeare? Dumbass.

personal bias is literally the point of reviews

they made it as an individuals and not some social amalgamations.

fuck this thread

melon
>likes weezer
>likes pop punk
>likes meme hip hop
>he thinks animals is the best pink floyd album despite it being the most boring calculated piece of shit they've ever released
>has a literal meme channel dedicated to making unfunny ironic ebin meme reviews for extra cash
>uses the same done to death vocabulary in his reviews; sonic, shimmering, tension

This definitely sheds some light into his rating style.

social amalgamations are just a number of individuals

This is actually right.

There are so many variables that determine how a piece of art is experienced, like how a note's relation to another note gives the notes their color. Your upbringing, your personality, your culture, your current emotion, how the music was presented, the album artwork, the headphones/speakers you're listening to the music through, what song you were listening to before, even what you ate or whether or not you took a shit recently can all have some impact on how you perceive the music. It's impossible to talk about music 100% objectively because not only different people can interpret the same piece totally differently, but you can have two different experiences listening to the same album on two different days.

>be low-grade music consumer
>need to feel informed about opinion
>search for least objectional reviewer
>confirmation bias sets in
>look ignorant as fuck anyway
>time wasted
>ego soothed about stale af music collection
I guess it all turns out ok in the end ay op?

old italia man is annoying

Woah

Imagine being this delusional

Uninspired garbage

Scaruffi is literally just a pretentious fuck who says whatever edgy nonsense comes into his mind. At least Anthony has some musical knowledge and can actually play an instrument.

1999 calls

Why does everyone on this site need to be told what to think by someone else?

Is society losing its critical thinking abilities and it's capacity for independent thought?

it seems more like we never had it on any large scale anyway

if anything we have more emphasis on and appreciation of critical thought than ever before, it's just super-concentrated in small circles of academia and the ripples radiate out and wash over the masses, by the time it reaches the bottom feeders the impact is all but lost

almost nobody on this board has it in them to be a critic and have their voice heard, so they have to congregate around a leader's voice

>Is a scientist
You really don't know what a scientist is.

What's wrong with paying attention to critics? Sometimes they review less known or unknown albums and bands and that's great. And I've learned quite a bit about history of rock reading through Scaruffi's enormous site since he's a historian.

>he's a historian.
kek

I bet you believed his Beatles essay

I agree with this in the sense that no critic can be taken seriously unless they reflect your own biases or ideas.

This is really, really dumb. I hope you idiots finally stop taking him seriously.

>The critic is the real artist

>Sometimes they review less known or unknown albums and bands and that's great

>having to have someone tell you about lesser known artists
>not just instinctively knowing about him

You'll never be a tru patrician

You forgot to add "pedophile" under Scaruffi.

>too many people like this

The Rolling Stones, the Doors, and Bruce Springsteen are some of his favourite artists. Stop falling for the "le contrarian man" meme.

>>literally nothing is a 10 just to prove that nothing is weird enough for him

10 is reserved for his all time favourite rock album and it's a 3 way tie between TMR, Rock Bottom, and Faust's debut.

You have a Spidey-Sense for unknown artists? I can't imagine that's very useful.

>almost nobody on this board has it in them to be a critic and have their voice heard, so they have to congregate around a leader's voice

That's just sounds so horribly, horribly lazy. It's really not asking for much at the end of the day -- to listen to a piece of music, determine whether you like it, and then to be able to understand and articulate why. Maybe it's just easy for me to say because I've been around a little longer and listened to more stuff, I don't know.

I don't think that it's bad to read reviews or to get hints on perspective artists per se..........it's just that I would never dismiss a piece of work based solely on the opinion of another person. All critics have their darlings and their punching bags - no exceptions. Christgau, Scaruffi - even ones that I used to like like Les Bangs......they're all just opinionated music nerds no different than you or I. It's just that they're a little older/more experienced and at another level of OCD.

Anthony Fantano has a very punchable face.

Why would someone even waste their time reviewing Nikki Minaj albums?