She can do wholesome very well. Zoal, Face Dancer is beautiful. Shame she became such an overcompensating tryhard

She can do wholesome very well. Zoal, Face Dancer is beautiful. Shame she became such an overcompensating tryhard.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/FJ5XUw4qHZo?t=6m50s
stereogum.com/1710871/grimes-shares-13-lessons-on-being-a-boss/news/
nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/grimes-glastonbury-set-proved-bowie-and-prince-s-maverick-spirit-lives-on-771377
theguardian.com/music/2012/apr/28/grimes-visions-montreal
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Halfaxa is her only good album, this one is just not as good, although it is admittedly better than her other 2

No matter how hard I try to like it, I find Halfaxa stressful in a bad way.

Most of Grimes songs are stressful, but energizing too. Halfaxa just feels like depression to me.

Except for Dream Fortress, which is actually one of her better songs.

I like that song

>Shame she became such an overcompensating tryhard.
Tryharding is only a bad thing when you tend not to succeed. Grimes tends to succeed.

At what exactly? Who can do the most experimental high fashion photo shoots?

>At what exactly?
Music. Look at where she started versus where she is now in terms of the price she had to pay along the way. By any factor you can name she is success personified.

Ok buddy.

Geidi Primes is clearly her best and everything else since has been inferior. I don't know why /grimes general/ can't see that

>Music.
And not just music either. Virtually everything this woman has attempted to accomplish in her life she has succeeded at (Extensive modeling career despite not being typical model material: Check; Monetizing a career in the performing arts as a small business effectively: Check; Building/sailing a pontoon houseboat on the Mississippi river in order to take advantage of a maritime law loophole which effectively allows you to live rent-free: Check; the list goes on...)

If I owned a business and was looking for someone to shepherd it to success as C.E.O. Claire Elise Boucher would absolutely be at the top of my list of candidates if she ever gets bored of making art all the time.

>putting effort into things is bad
>"Mom, can you get my lard-ass some more hot pockets?"-OP
You're a fucking retard who needs to be beat

By who? You?
Try me.

But what about your career?

I can feel the anger emanating from that period and shortend syntax
PACKS A PUNCH
and yes lemme fuck your ass

Try me.

From my experience posting/lurking on /mu, this place caters to a particular crowd of music listeners who tend to have issues with music (or art in general) that has a strong direct message to it (e.g. pop music.) Artists like Animal Collective or very early Grimes -
essentially any major artist's sound circa from BEFORE they found a strong focus to their artistic message* - tend to get revered by people here while later eras of the same artist get reviled. I suspect it has a lot to do with the age range of most posters. Post-adolescent types tend to be still very jaded against classical figures of authority, and music/art that pushes strong focused ideas at you is essentially the same thing. Why listen to a record like Art Angels where the musical ideas are right up in your face - demanding your approval or disapproval - when you can listen to a record like Geidi Primes, whose naive indecisiveness allows you to put off making any harsh judgments about just how much you ACTUALLY like it?

This isn't a harsh criticism desu. People go through natural phases (including of taste) as they live their lives. And just because you move on to a more heightened level of taste doesn't mean you lose appreciation for the things on which it is built (I'm talking different levels of taste in terms of things building off of each other - not in terms of one being better than another.) I love Geidi Primes to a similar degree that I love Art Angels. Just for very different reasons, since they each appeal to very different levels of taste for me.

* Another way to describe the sort of music I'm talking about? Comfy music - which imo describes Geidi Primes perfectly.

I could have swarn i left something here

bump

Halafaxa is way less variable and experimental than Geidi. Geidi Primes is her best album

>she became such an overcompensating tryhard.
Can you elaborate on this?

>it's 2017
>some people still don't realize art angels is her absolute best

>Shame she became such an overcompensating tryhard.
That's a good thing. Her music and production improved with each album. You can't seriously expect her to remain at the Geidi Primes level of singing, songwriting and production. This album is just a one off, so treasure it.

Still her best album.

good on them, since it's not

it got way more try hard (more layers of rubbish) and the only time it improved sonically was when the patriarchy was helping her.

hay guise musical genius claire here

youtu.be/FJ5XUw4qHZo?t=6m50s

Did you know that if you just hit all the black key on the keyboard you can kind of sound like you know what you're doing ?

Anyways I've gotta go do another fashion shoot, later losers.

- Claire

You have to be in the right state of mind to enjoy Halfaxa. When it will click it will really click.

This.

>Anyone who’s seen Grimes perform live can tell you she’s a boss, figuratively. But as Claire Boucher recently explained for Tavi Gevinson’s new literature collection ROOKIE YEARBOOK THREE, she’s also a boss, literally. In the name of getting her music out there, she already owns two companies and just started a third one with her brother. Grimes’ essay includes 13 tips on how to be an entrepreneur. Elle reprinted the article today, and you can read the list below.
>Something I didn’t realize when I started making music was that any entrepreneurial endeavor involves hiring people, creating a company, and becoming a businessperson. So, while you may know me as a musician, in practice I am also a boss. I’m the CEO of two companies, Grimes Creative Corp and Fairy Tour Corp, and I just started Roco-Prime Productions with my brother. This is simultaneously very cool and very stressful. I’m definitely not the best or most experienced boss. I’m also a young, female boss, which can present a very particular set of practical and emotional challenges. Here, I’ve compiled a list of things that have been useful to me while I’ve been figuring out how to be in charge, in the hope that some of them might help any of you who are doing what I’m doing (aka learning as you go).
More here stereogum.com/1710871/grimes-shares-13-lessons-on-being-a-boss/news/

All your entire post is a pile of rubbish. I can't even take it seriously. BTW you're that user who believes that Bloodpop ghostproduced all her music. You're truly delusional.

user, are you mad because Claire got big results with (apparently) little efforts? She played the black keys but she made a great melody. This is all that matters. The results matter more than the means.

>patriarchy
t. beta cuck

>All your entire post is a pile of rubbish
lol

I edited the post a little before posting it and I forgot that "All". Big deal.

>forgetting the first, capitalized word of your sentence
lolok

big results ? ...what? ..great melody? It's not even the same as the one on the album, it's a lazy shortcut. She's doing a lars ulrich.

I'm not sure what you're on about, that entire video from that time stamp was just embarrassing.

She's fucking horrible live without her backing band or blood pop helping her.

It happens. This stone age board still doesn't have an edit function.

(you)

>still hating claire
Yes, that's a great melody.
>It's not even the same as the one on the album, it's a lazy shortcut.
Do you realize that was a live performance? She improvised it.
>I'm not sure what you're on about, that entire video from that time stamp was just embarrassing.
The 32k people who upvoted that video disagree with your contrarian opinion.
>She's fucking horrible live without her backing band or blood pop helping her.
She's not. Sometimes she has bad days when her shows are quite mediocre but most of the time she's a solid performer. She's one of the best performers in the world. e.g. nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/grimes-glastonbury-set-proved-bowie-and-prince-s-maverick-spirit-lives-on-771377

>disagree with your contrarian opinion
Do you gain anything from endlessly calling people contrarian due to not having a good argument or are you just trying to prove to everyone that you go with the grain like a good boy?

I just don't like your contrarian opinions. You're going against the grain.

What's wrong with going against the grain? It must be nice agreeing with popular opinion all the time

Because in this very specific case (Grimes) to deny her great music and achievements is plain contrarian. I'm not even Grimes.

>is plain contrarian
And what's wrong with that? I'm not sure that you know what contrarian means.

>She's one of the best performers in the world
Lol no. She's one of the lowest rated live performers on this board. Seen her in countless worst performer lists.

>first concert
>Boris
Lucky, I've been into music for like a year so I haven't gotten to see them yet

>She's one of the lowest rated live performers on this board.
Based on what? On a one off performance (Coachella)? Let's be real, most people here didn't even see her live irl. Most of those who saw her live irl talked nicely about her performances.

you didn't get any replies so i must say you have a very interesting point, Sup Forums really should just be used for recs if you have no friends that are into music
another unrelated thing that bothers me is how quick people are to joke about anything art related, anything that comes from the heart

>people tend to like early AnCo
>MPP is clearly the most popular AnCo album here
wew

Halifax a was written right after one of her friends died. She locked herself into a room and emerged with halfaxa

>Did you know that if you just hit all the black key on the keyboard
You get the F# Major Pentatonic scale? The same type of scale most every guitar solo ever recorded is based on? Why yes - yes I did. Because I've studied music theory. Have you?

>people tend to like early AnCo
>reading comprehension
Specifically NOT what I said, for a reason. Imo AnCo is a bit of a special case because their music has never really progressed in the specific way I'm talking about over the span of their career. Seems to me that's kind of the point of their sound. It's a collective of musicians who sound (perhaps ironically) purposefully uncollected.

You've got your Grimes trivia confused, user. Halfaxa was written over the summer of 2010 while Grimes was purportedly in a good mood (the mood of her music self-admittedly tends to be the exact opposite of her mood irl when making it.)

>She locked herself into a room and emerged with halfaxa
That was Visions.
>Grimes: nine days without food, sleep or company gave me Visions
theguardian.com/music/2012/apr/28/grimes-visions-montreal