What happened to internet culture?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=L_fCqg92qks
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girugamesh
thisisseriousbusiness.ytmnd.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=rvYZRskNV3w
youtube.com/watch?v=Ar4WzQ7KHak
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Normies invaded the internet like muzzies invaded Europe.

Both were ruined.

Much like British cuisine there has never been much culture.

social media became more prominent than forums and irc
autists started working in CS and IT
normies came in with social media
shift in sources of OC from niche flash sites
nothing of value was lost

Fuck I hate ancient memes, even back then. Keyboard cat, trolololo guy, rage faces... all of them were fucking annoying

It peaked with YTMND and has been all down hill since then

normies happened

I don't hate them, but memes were always fucking stupid. Internet elitists are deluded.

THIS... IS...

The Internet always has been and always will be a wretched hive of scum and villainy.

if you know what this shit is, you are my brother and you will be safe on the day of the rope

>Implying simple roast meat and Yorkshire puddings weren't greater contributions to the culinary world than all of France.
You know when you get a slab of meat and just cook it? That's British cuisine.

This. The birth of social media caused a great change in Internet culture. Also, 'geek' culture in general started to become populated with norms. You could see it with world of Warcraft; the game used to be filled with edgy pol type autists then as 'nerd' stuff got more popular the whole culture of the game changed; more liberals and more women.

>darude sandstorm

Social media. Normies.
And remember that thirdworlders are going to use Internet soon.

They already do. Go over to Nairaland.

whats the redhead on the right?

>implying those weren't the good ol' days

C-C-C COMBO BREAKER

Don't talk shit about my maymay

The girl who never changes facial expressions.

Every child draws a stickman and stacks a couple of LEGO bricks, but some grow up to make Rembrandts and the Sistine Chapel.

The earliest memes were our childhood desu~
Most of us only got as far as Ceiling Cat, but some of us have matured into the Greatness that is Kek, Aussie shitposting, Indian streetshitting, and the occasional fucking leaf trying to beat both of them.

That's the beauty of it. The memes will only get better. We'll have our Sistine Chapel.

Saturated with normie users since the difficulty curve of accessing it leveled out.

I think one of the reasons for the change in Internet culture (and in particular the rise of online SJWs) is the rapid increase in number of women on the Internet. Back when Sup Forums was first founded in 2003 the famous rule 'there are no girls on the Internet' was still true. Online chat rooms were filled with white male nerds, weirdos and perverts and not a lot else. Women eventually entered the Internet and were disturbed by the culture we had created. Hence the rise of the SJW; it's a female response to the culture of what was once a male space.

Rage faces marked the decline of memes.

Ugh, gross. Bet you also advocate boiling it. Better to turn it into a pate in my opinion.

>modern meme

Captain. Jean Luc Picard. Of the USS. Enterprise.

Basically what everyone else here is saying, normies. The internet grew up, from 2007 onwards all the tools for normies to take advantage of were in place - facebook, twitter, tumblr, the first smart phones etc. Internet made eezy peezy and ready on the go.

Also meant the rapid spread of SJW cancer.

Also does anybody else cringe when they still see normies posting doge memes and laughing about it like it's the funniest thing ever?

I'm not even sure.

efg was the forced cancer to rule them all

2004-2007 really was insufferable

Dat boi is one of the only memes that is actually funny nowadays. Everyone in this thread is so young they think that the Burger King and "It's a trap" are ancient memes.

summer glau?
youtube.com/watch?v=L_fCqg92qks

>Picard and the Tommygun, no kid?
>Nigger who stole a bike
>I Can Haz Cheezburgers Cat, AKA shit
>Admiral Trapbar
>What is love, starring Jim Carrey
>Lazytown

>only now spotting the license plate
Heh, at least I remember the memes.

Can someone please explain this meme to is it a normies or an inside joke because I keep fucking seeing it everywhere.

>missing Brian Peppers

Poor guy lived a life of suffering and just wanted some ass

It went to hell when women started to use internet.

what do you consider an ancient meme?
its a new one that came along really fast. the first time I saw it was on facebook actually

What good old days? Almost literally nothing changed at all. Star Wars is still popular and people on the Internet are still pieces of shit.

Internet culture was, in part, the product of a still very wealthy post-9/11 society. We laughed at all that inane shit because we thought we were financially secure, and so the only thing we had to do in a place as anarchic as the Internet was have fun. The 2008 crash ended that prosperity and the OWS protests in 2011 only made that increasingly obvious. The memes are darker and edgier now, taking on more of a specific and aggressive political bent, because we live in a grubbier and less self-satisfied society than we used to, filled with tensions over dividing an increasingly shrinking financial pie.

Nothing changed. Just look at your own fucking pic. "Internet culture" is still infantile cringeworthy uncreative pseudo-humor perpetuated by long-haired feminized manchildren.

Where is Girugamesh

Crippled spiderman was the best ytmnd

Yea, I cringe. But I hate it because in high school THIS WAS ALL I HAD. I was a late bloomer. Now I just play dumb when normie friends bring up memes, but my soul dies a little every time.

What's an old meme to you?

Goatse and dancing baby were pretty old. There was also a phase when photoshop was just released where people would do incredibly shitty shops and comment 'This looks shopped. I can tell by the pixels'.
Anything that required a better internet connection than a 56k dialup is newfag territory.

holy shit this edit is based
my sides

>The band became an internet meme after a 2009 Sakura-Con commercial, wherein several people discussing their love of Japan-related material are interrupted by a man who shouts "Girugamesh!"[19]
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girugamesh
>collage is from 2004

I remember 2006 and when youtube was the big thing, videos like the singing chinks and choc. rain went viral and it was really enjoyable. But when people started vlogging everything started going to shit + facebook, etc.

Dude. Dancing baby... I remember waiting 30 mins to watch old a few seconds of that.

All I know is I miss my secret club

2009 is when I got onto this site, can't even get called a newfag anymore.

I was a king on YTMND.

Is that Varg with the guy from Full House?

>Goatse and dancing baby were pretty old.

EDbabby detected
Next thing you're going to rehearse how the ETERNAL SEPTEMBER happened

And I've seen a few shoops in my time

This, the culture of memes has evolved tremendously. On boards such as these they evolve and spread rapidly. Give me one meme that can even compete with Bane posting in terms of usage, parodies, and even real life anomalies.

How about the sexy pictures that would take 5 minutes to load before you realize it was a troll picture that only loaded half way on purpose?

>No way... too messy
thisisseriousbusiness.ytmnd.com/

Best dubs
And the worst for me was waiting a half fucking day to download a song.
>I tried to convince my mom to get a T3 connection

Or the flash videos that took longer to load than their length.

>What happened to internet culture?
Reddit.

Reddit used our creativity as fuel for their egotistical circlejerks.

Reddit attracted feminism and normies to the internet.

Reddit is the Reason why the quality of content on the entire internet as a whole has gone down.

Nice trips btw.

True. Also being able to access the Internet through tablets and smartphones rather than computers and laptops changed things. I'm not quite sure how to articulate it, but accessing everything through an 'app' doesn't feel the same, gives you less freedom when browsing etc. A lot of the monetisation of the internet came in around that time. Has also made it a lot easier for normies to access the Internet.

The unironic era was always shit

oldschool Sup Forums "culture" is now for normies. you just don't see that shit here anymore. Sup Forums now has le frogs and merchants.

It was great until 2008, then smarth phones arrived with normies, then geek culture got co-opted by idiots, old school forums message boards went missing and social media happened stronger than ever and we got fucked.

>tfw

Reddit is a symptom not the cause.
The downfall of the internet really got going with MySpace. Reddit wasn't around for another couple of years.
Now webcomics and furries were the true start of the downfall. Some of these webcomics have been churning out liberal propaganda since the 90's and the furries have been around since before the internet existed with their crazy Hirs and Xirs. You newfags only hear about this nowadays but back in my day it was already around and giving cancer to the internet.

>oldschool Sup Forums "culture" is now for normies.
I dont see any normie referencing "post sinks"

also, i think Sup Forums of about 5 to 8 years ago had far less autists and mentally ill people than today. most of them have moved on to other normie places like reddit and 9gag. we're left with people who are completely hopeless like the mummyposter.

oldfag detected.

WHEN I WAS

youtube.com/watch?v=rvYZRskNV3w

A true classic in Internet memeology

More like the era of kek

Man I had an account on ytmnd.

The Internet is too easy. When it took some work to post something there was a little more substance. Not much. But a little

Praise be to him

we just got older, comrade

>efg
god damn son
>tfw you realize you spent a decade shitposting

This place is filthy! Let's clean it up. :)

This post brought to you by Dial Soap

You have to remember that Sup Forums was a lot different back then. The memes themselves weren't that funny but threads were way more chaotic without the captcha.

Right there with you merchant

This shit still circulates facebook/modern myspace bro

>t threads were way more chaotic without the captcha.
I think you mean better, the timeout spammer was fine and fixed things.

kike racebaiting increased rapidly with israeli funding, censorship and distractionary efforts ...deny, decieve, distract and delete... same as gchq instructs on the intercepts leaked "how to ruin reputations and discredit dissenters"

its all a system of self hate...guilt and shame are misdirected and projected on shiksa goyim gentiles... there are thousands of ways to emotionally manipulate all people and hyperaggressive big nosed zionazi kikes are taught this early... the intercept has some great gchq documents showing exactly how many of the loaded language propaganda techniques work to gaslight and "game" almost any situation... you are dealing with brainwashed people and those not ignorant of the game keep marching in lock step out of fear JUST LIKE THE NAZIS because this is the "business plot" version 2.0... this is the hearts and minds edition... but dont think the bolsheviks ever came to anyones rescue before... Beara and his crow faced ethnocratic oligarchy kept the imperial gold bars in big schnoz hands and always will... all extremes are promoted kike owned extremes, and all manufactured options are controlled oppositions designed to cull the human herd for the traits of obedience and schnozpremacy

>memes themselves weren't that funny
people asking for photoshop requests are always funny though

we had some great memes and lulz before Sup Forums anyway. ytmnd , newgrounds , forums like sa, foh and ect. Those were the golden days.

>Arrive in 2007
>OldFags fighting NewFags
>Oldfags slowly die off and the NewFags become the Old
>Even moot escaped to Mexico
>Normies now roam the internet like Prarie dogs on the pasture
>The Old are sought after and slaughtered for their meme's
>Even politicians are now trying to meme it up
The world has changed for the worst the very much worst

>tumblr memes

Which is why I miss my secret club

>Actually liking government produced MKUltra memes

The best