Overrated shit?

Overrated shit?

Other urls found in this thread:

blabbermouth.net/news/corey-taylor-on-rick-rubin-he-is-overrated-overpaid-and-i-will-never-work-with-him-again/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Rubin_production_discography
youtube.com/watch?v=9TlBTPITo1I
rollingstone.com/music/news/graham-nash-says-csn-sessions-with-rick-rubin-were-contentious-20120726
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Dude he's mysterious and cryptic and weird like a modern Buddha lmao

*makes 50 shitty RHCP albums*

*ruins audio quality forever*

Install Gentoo

you're confusing the way he's presented with people's actual perception of him. most people think he's a joke

produced the only two good Johnny Cash songs
search your heart you know it to be true

I told Johnny Cash to cover a NIN song and he actually did it! The absolute madman!
hahahahahahahaha

>*ruins audio quality forever*
[citation needed]

Californication, Death Magnetic, and that Sabbath comeback album.

What's wrong with those albums?

muh loudness wars

Loudness war and compression you fucking poorfag

How is he responsible for that? he didn't master the albums you idiots

no santa is pretty great

Yes he was, he was part of the team and how the fuck every album that is compressed to hell has him as the producer?

>Yes he was

He did some great stuff in the 80s but he's been coasting on his reputation for 20 years.

He produced those albums you fucking idiot. I get that you're being cute with who has the mastering credit but he is the one responsible for the audio quality as the producer. There has never even been a debate if Rubin is responsible for the rise in compression and the "loudness war."

Rick Rubin has this fucking obsession with Black In Black, he thinks it's the perfect rawk album and he's tried to make everything he produces sound like it.

>He produced those albums you fucking idiot
Nice backpedaling
>he is the one responsible for the audio quality as the producer.
OK, and what's wrong with it, aside form the mastering (since he didn't master it, this is not a valid critique)?
>There has never even been a debate if Rubin is responsible for the rise in compression and the "loudness war."
These people ITT thought he did Care to revise your statement?

I've heard the same thing. He's incredibly hands off. He's not a musician, he's not even an engineer. I think he's one of the most overrated producers.

I've never liked the production on any of his albums...he's been basically just a "stadium rock" producer since the Def Jam years.

blabbermouth.net/news/corey-taylor-on-rick-rubin-he-is-overrated-overpaid-and-i-will-never-work-with-him-again/

I know it's Corey Taylor, but this is some funny shit.

There are quite a few artists who have complained of Rubin not showing up at all, having the day's work sent to him via messenger and then sending back notes. (Didn't the dude from Slipknot have similar complaints?) He gets asked to produce b/c his name on a record generates attention and sales, especially if the artist's career needs a jolt.

Ok sure. Because Johnny Cash and the Mars Volta are known for chasing hits and records sales. I am sure Omar and Cedric have hired Skrillex and Diplo to produce their next effort, since that's what "generates record sales and gives their career a jolt."

In all fairness, Johnny Cash had been completely irrelevant for 25 years when he did the American series.

Rick Rubin started the whole awful trend of compressing rock albums as much as humanly possible, because he started out producing hip-hop where you always cranked the gain up. Unfortunately, this same approach did not work with rock and should never have been applied to it.

>Rick Rubin started the whole awful trend of compressing rock albums as much as humanly possible,
Oh did he produce the first Oasis albums?

No he didn't, fuck off with your disinformation

No but Oasis came out after he'd popularized compression and people started copying him.

>after he'd popularized compression
Oh did he produce Revolver by The Beatles?

No he didn't, fuck off with your disinformation

haha rekt

Is Dave Grohl stealth posting in in this thread responding to everybody that dares criticize Rubin?

Why would he? Rick Rubin never worked with Foo Fighters

I think Rubin posts here, there's always someone going berserk after anything negative is said about Rubin.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Rubin_production_discography

He produced some great sounding albums in the 80s and 90s. It wasn't until the end of the 90s that it started sounding bad, but that was because of the mastering process, not the actual engineering.
Maybe if you had criticisms that weren't based on idiocy and garbage logic, no one would question it.

>wow Rick Rubin what a shit prod-

youtube.com/watch?v=9TlBTPITo1I

t. rick rubin

g2b Corey

rubin was an OK hip hop producer, not the best, not the worst
average
and he didn't bring anything new to hip hop, apart from rock and roll cliches
he literally copied the beat from an existing hip hop record at one point, maybe more than once idk

>going berserk
Heh

I think that Sup Forums should appreciate the creative edge he brought to Yeezus, right? Who else is with me.

>and he didn't bring anything new to hip hop, apart from rock and roll cliches

I mean, his favorite album of all time is Back in Black. What the fuck did you expect?

>and he didn't bring anything new to hip hop
What albums are you referring to here?

t. Rick Rubin

all of them

i didn't expect anything, had no idea who the fuck rick rubin was

this

>all of them
Name one specifically that you are talking about

i'm talking about all of them
you want me to just list them all

tell you what i'll make it easier and just mention the one where he was the least unoriginal
Radio

>The album was primarily produced by Rick Rubin, who provided a sparse and minimal production style. Radio also features a sound that is punctuated by DJ scratching, mostly brief samples, and emphasis of the downbeat. LL Cool J's b-boy lyricism conveys themes of inner city culture, teenage promiscuity, and braggadocio raps.

Sounds original to me. What's the problem?

what's original about that?

rollingstone.com/music/news/graham-nash-says-csn-sessions-with-rick-rubin-were-contentious-20120726

Lyl.

>The album was primarily produced by Rick Rubin, who provided a sparse and minimal production style. Radio also features a sound that is punctuated by DJ scratching, mostly brief samples, and emphasis of the downbeat. LL Cool J's b-boy lyricism conveys themes of inner city culture, teenage promiscuity, and braggadocio raps.

are you one of these white rock writers who discovered hip hop when run dmc broke?

Are you one of those 17 year olds who is only familiar with Rick Rubin through Yeezus?

ok so you already know those themes were all already present in the genre
which means you're either baiting or a blind defener

I guess he had kind of a cool metalhead vibe to him when he was young.

>all already present in the genre
Name 60 albums that sounded exactly like it

because 50 would be too easy, right

Mastering argument aside, Rubin is just a boring producer. "Back to basics" sound in his case just means laziness and flat mixing. Stadium Arcadium is the biggest offender here, 100 songs that all sound the same.

If you want to hear what a good no-nonsense producer sounds like, listen to anything by Nick "Basher" Lowe, including his own albums, Elvis Costello's first 5 or 6, the Damned, and the Rumour.

>a producer should will his sound unto his clients
"no"

How about just bringing any ideas to the table at all, other than "Whoa, cover this song that's totally unlike your style?"

>How about just bringing any ideas to the table at all
See

interesting opinion
why shouldn't they do that?
imagine the joshua tree if eno had let bono make it sound like joy division *shudder*

>why shouldn't they do that?
A producer's job is to capture the best sounding representation of the artist.

oh shit really
someone better tell king tubby

Does he ever take off that white tee?

You forgot:

*produces Licensed to Ill*
*produces Raising Hell*
*produces Radio*
*helps introduce Hip-Hop to a global audience*
*tells Chuck D he should be an MC and start his own project back when he was very insecure about it, being one of the people indirectly responsible for the formation of Public Enemy*
*helps Slayer hone their sound and style and produces Reign In Blood, one of the greatest and most influential Metal albums of all time*
*produces Blood Sugar Sex Magik*
*produces De-Loused In The Comatorium*
*revilatizes Johnny Cash's career after decades of irrelevance*
*saves Kanye's ass when he was a week away from having to turn Yeezus in but had no idea how to finish his own songs*

Personally I'd also include discovering System of a Down and giving them a chance but I know people will just go >dude Nu-Metal LMAO.
I agree that his legend and reputation have become bigger than his actual work and the Loudness War shit does suck, but the hate he gets is totally overblown IMO. He's been involved in tons of genuinely great albums/moments in music and that should be acknowledged.

i dont think the foo fighters have ever worked with rubin, user

>*helps introduce Hip-Hop to a global audience*
you mean american audience

Actually, I think mainstream audience would be more fitting.

a lot of people in europe became aware of aerosmith because they worked with run dmc
seriously

he did some okay shit in the past but he's been dogshit for a lot longer now

isn't it the other way around?

no that's the point
aerosmith is like the most american thing i can think of, in the 80s no one in eu listened to that kind of metal apart from total fucking weirdos

Really trying hard to prove you wrong, but I don't think I can