Why are atheist so sure there is know god?

Why are atheist so sure there is know god?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2-d4otHE-YI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Eat arrow, fascist!

No it doesn't user

God is, or God is not. Reason cannot decide between the two alternatives.

A Game is being played... where heads or tails will turn up.

You must wager (it is not optional).

Let us weigh the gain and the loss in wagering that God is. Let us estimate these two chances. If you gain, you gain all; if you lose, you lose nothing.

Wager, then, without hesitation that He is. (...) There is here an infinity of an infinitely happy life to gain, a chance of gain against a finite number of chances of loss, and what you stake is finite. And so our proposition is of infinite force, when there is the finite to stake in a game where there are equal risks of gain and of loss, and the infinite to gain.

But some cannot believe. They should then 'at least learn your inability to believe...' and 'Endeavour then to convince' themselves.

Pascal's wager

in other words, regardless of whether or not there is a god, we all want to believe. but some people genuinely cannot. what pascal wanted to argue is that we stand to gain everything from belief in a higher power (doesnt have to be christian, just a "maker") and lose nothing if we are wrong

Ok, so why is this wrong? First, it is based on a false dichotomy fallacy. Which god? People often forget, due to the self-absorbed nature of humanity, that there is more to the world than just what they believe in. Let’s not forget that there are any number of gods that are believed in equally strongly by their respective theists.

Second, if we factor in the existence of multiple gods, we must also factor in the potential punishment of following the wrong god. The first commandment makes it pretty clear that at least some gods don’t like it when you choose the wrong one. Additionally, the game is no longer a wager between two options. You have multiple options, with each option – except atheism – promising reward and punishment.

By now, we’ve pretty much destroyed step one of Pascal’s Wager. If you’re keeping up, you’ll release we’ve destroyed step two as well (it is no longer a 50/50 chance – heads or tails is no longer valid). But wait, there’s more! It was never an even chance to begin with. Recall two other logical principles I’ve mentioned, Occam’s Razor and Rationalism. A deity is the ultimate extreme of unlikeliness based on Occam’s Razor (because a god is inexplicable and has no beginning), and based on this, we can use rationalism to conclude that it is not reasonable to consider god as a “truth”. Remembering that rationalism deals with a priori knowledge and probability of likelihood, this is not to say that a god doesn’t exist, it’s just saying that the chances of a god existing are lower. That leaves us with atheism having a statistical edge (no solid numbers, it could be a lot or a little based on your personal beliefs, but atheism definitely has an advantage in terms of statistical accuracy, whether large or little). So not only is it not “heads or tails” any more, it’s far from it.

No matter how much shit changes around here, there is always and forever going to be gore, traps, fur and people whining about politics and religion.

They really want to believe they have figured something out that the majority of the population hasn't, so they insist on being contrarian. Also they don't realize that believing in god is the optimal choice due to the placebo effect having real effects.

This is the most reddit tier awful logic I have ever read on this website, and I have been here for 8 years. Congratulations.

Are we living in a simulated reality?

philosophy 101
chapter:2 pascal's wager
chapter:3 refuting pascal's wager

Why are you portrayed as a crying little girl?

"Why are atheist so sure there is know[sic] god?"

We have faith that there is no god.

no

Now, considering that you are wagering for reward, we must ask ourselves, will this behaviour be met with reward? That is to say, if you choose to follow a religion in the hopes of winning some divine lottery, even if that religion was correct, will that god reward you considering your motive? Probably not. Again, statistical speculation based on scripture; it is often said that man cannot ever understand the mind of god, so there is a chance that god will reward you for betting on him, but given that such an action would conflict with the concepts of morality and ethics taught by religion, it would be a pretty self destructive process.

We’re at the end now – and given the logical reasons put forth above, we have reshaped the playing field of this game:

A god or many gods or no gods may exist.
A game is being played … where there are at least 20 options (based on a list of the major religious groups in this world), and the atheism option has at least a slightly better probability of being correct (exact amount debatable).
According to reason, you can defend any of the at least 20 propositions.
You must wager. (It’s not optional).
Let us weigh the gain and the loss in wagering in a certain god or lack of god. In wagering for the existence of one of at least 20 gods, you may gain some reward from one god (in the unlikely event that god rewards you for your motive being to bet on him)

Im not opposed to the possibility there is a god I just choose not to care about religion much.

How are you so sure that there is no santa?

that's called agnostic you fucking retard

Pretty sure there is no Santa or Big Foot either

>implying it is dangerous to upset certain gods by not believing in them
>safest choice is to not believe in any gods

nice logic

So you mean the mental disorder that makes you extremely logical takes you to th emost logical conclusion?

NO WAY user.

if you are correct, and will receive punishment from at least 20 gods if you are incorrect. Further, you have a lower chance of being correct than if you pick the atheism proposition.
Wager then based on your risk aversion (financial principle that basically means how much risk you are willing to take on an investment). However, risk aversion assumes rational investors that tradeoff risk for return. A rational investor will not pick a higher risk option (punishment from 20 gods with a lower chance of being correct is pretty risky) if the return does not offset taking on such risk (reward from 1 god; it depends what you think the reward will be then, and whether or not you will even receive this reward). Hence, betting on anything besides atheism (the safe bet), would be considered irrational both from a financial perspective, a statistician’s perspective and a logician’s perspective.

>spend your one life on a wager that the version of the god that exists in your time is the only answer
>spend your life like you have only one and live it to the fullest

gee johnny

You think those are mutually exclusive? You act like believing in god takes more effort than being an atheist when that is not at all a requirement.

Lol you sound like people from my econ 101 class. Eager to use fresh vocab but no substantial knowledge to actually apply it. You're assuming that the loss here comes into effect by picking the wrong god to believe in. So instead of taking a risky gamble, you choose to be an atheist and give yourself a 100% chance of loss. The fact that you can't see this is hilarious.

Econ 101?

>100% chance of loss
Fake news

this post gives me life

Risk aversion is a popular topic in many entry level classes.

How can they be athiests if they know God?

I didn't win the lottery so I have 100% loss I also didn't fuck ivanka trump in the ass today so I have 100% loss too

No. Those are awful analogies. The risk/reward associated with believing in a god is inherently different to risk/reward when investing money. If you disagree then I'm sorry but you are hopeless. I'm sure you can figure it out though.

pascals wager can not be refuted and there is no false dichotomy here..

there is or there isnt a higher power. not a god, but a higher power that created everything.

the dichotomy is set up by the conception of a higher power in and of itself

whether its 0 or 20 gods, is beside the point FFS

>cannot
Is one word

Those analogies are both hypothetical so is a god. Until you can prove one exists

and periods go at the end of sentences you fuck

im drunk eatging a philly cheesesteak more messy than your mother give me a break

Nah you're just trolling now. No one is this terrible at logic. Goodnight, hope you find something better to do with you time.

it's been several months of this

can OP say how many pics he has of that character?

LOL you're the redditor arent you

There might be. He's a total ass-clown though, so fuck him.

Because all of the other gods that you belive are false gods...we just add one more to the list

Same reason theists are sure there is a God.

Faith.

Maybe your mom

Months? More like years

Ockhams Rasiermesser

Lol everything is thought by your mind

"i can conceive of god. because of this, he might exist"

different pascal, same principle

We're not Shure, we just don't want to believe in something we have no evidence for

no*

Same reason I know Santa Claus and the tooth fairy are not real.

Everything from math to physics stands on assumptions we have no evidence for. Do you not believe in anything then?

Y r Athisms so Shire where isn't know Gerd?

because toot toot mcscoot ma boot.

What about Bigfoot?

Boot boot hill airys emails

religion is just humans desperate romanticism of creation and afterlife. we are not special to deserve afterlife. were just meatbags that got really fucking far

>Eager to use fresh vocab but no substantial knowledge to actually apply it.

yeah I hate it when people do that

>the loss here comes into effect by picking the wrong god to believe in. So instead of taking a risky gamble, you choose to be an atheist and give yourself a 100% chance of loss.

then what is a lack of faith?

If atheism is the belief in no god is abstinence a sexual position?

Pascal's wager

>fucking jibberish

yeabut, what if they aren't they sure that there isn't not none of any gods enough? Don't want to be not sure that there isn't not none of any gods too much. How isn't it could be if not then aren't and?

Pascal's vager turns into Pascal's roulette if you take all Gods who will grant you torture if you don't believe in them.

Turns into Pascal's lottery if you think of every single God people ever believed in.

"You cannot petition the lord with prayer."
-btfo by a filthy drunk bad poet

goddammit, I actually tried reading that

You asshole, what am I supposed to do with all those words?

I prefer Pascals Horserace, where all gods compete for maximum plausibility, and the most likely to actually exist in a realm outside some stupid humans imagination is the winner.

So far I haven't won any money, for all the time I've spent at the track.

Where does flying spaghetti monster fit in? I checked and quite sure he's not the same as Christian God.

Whats the origin of this pic

Of course he is real dumbfuck, there is tons of evidence.

He eats christian gods for dinner.
Luckily for christians, they have so many gods, they will be alright for quite some time.

I dont know what's worse; The fact that people still make this fucking thread, or that people still fall for it after all this damn time, day in and day out

I dont really care about these bait threads as I'll believe what i want but i have a question
Who is this girl on these I search it and i get 'Crying'

Race is over when you die bub.

I thought they only had floodbringer, zombie jesus and Casper.

Hell no! Those aren't the rules; the race is over when I say it's over. Now get back on your fucking horse Aten, and I don't want to hear one more fucking word unless it's about how you actually exist in this reality.

Why does every plant use the Fibonacci sequence in some way?
It's gotta be a coincidence

Atheists are so gay

ITT: Dumb niggers who think they know everything about the universe and claim they can prove there is or isn't a god

Idk mang, I checked a cactus, no spiral just a spiky dick.

As a fellow agnostic, I'm here to troll both sides of the argument.

They also have the god of evil, and all the lesser gods the angels, cherubs & cherubims, succubi & saints, etc etc etc, that have all the same powers as all gods, except for having created this physical realm.

>Why are atheist so sure there is know god?

Why can't theists properly spell words? How to magnets work? Know one knows!

Not even agnostic tbh, I believe there is a god. I just know I can't prove it or disprove it. I don't know shit about shit, and so I can't say "oh yeah I'm the smartest motherfucker in the room I can prove flying spaghetti monster does/doesnt exist hurr durr.

or, and I know this sounds crazy, but it could be, that physical traits are derived from this fucking branch of sciencey shit that you may hear of one day called genetics.

lol nah, it's probably all a great liberal conspiracy put there by satan to distract you from the truth, that the entire universe revolves around your awesome and perfect species.

Bible doesn't mention any other God though.
Maybe Moloch but not sure if it's an actual God or just name of a false God people were worshipping.

That's agnosticism. Agnostic theism to be more precise.

Then you're not even intelligent enough to support your own beliefs?

Do you go around believing in entire sets of alternate realities without understanding why in other areas of your life?

Isn't agnosticism simply not knowing whether there is or isn't a god?

God is supposed to be omnipotent and omniscience
Evil in world but does nothing
If he doesn't see it he's not omniscience
If he can't do anything about it he's not omnipotent
If he could but chooses not to is that god you'd chose to follow?

Can you support you belief why there is or isn't a god with hard, actual facts?

*your

fucking autocorrect

Agnostic Front

You fucking atheists are funny. You think there's a special place outside of hell for you by saying you "don't know". Guess what, neither do atheists. There are only believers (from deits, to theists, to pantheists), and those who do not fully believe. Whether you don't know but are 99% sure there isn't a god, or you don't know but are 1% sure there isn't a god, you are not a believer, and are atheistic, and need to repent and heal your loss of faith or suffer the wrath.

That's what your stance is. You said " I believe in God". Not " I know God exists because Bible or because muh watchmakermaker", or " I know God isn't real because muh logic or because science"
You believe in God and claim you cannot prove he exists.

youtube.com/watch?v=2-d4otHE-YI

Relax bud
Pope already said there's room for atheists in heaven whether they want to believe or not.
Chill that brimstone out

Can I support what belief? I have no beliefs, that's why I didn't respond to my own post about my beliefs you fucking twat, I responded to yours, about your beliefs.

You don't even know how to have the discussion about how to know what to think about the things you think. I mean jesus...