Reminder that vinyl sounds better than digital

Reminder that vinyl sounds better than digital.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nKtrmPi322g
laweekly.com/music/why-cds-may-actually-sound-better-than-vinyl-5352162
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Thanks user!

Dubs confirm.
Also, fucking cassettes sound better than digital with the right equipment.

Why, though?

Pues yo personalmente escucho mi musica digitalmente :v

:v

Why do they sound better than digital? They have a warmer, more dynamic sound.

>spending way more just so your audio quality (which is irrelevant to the quality unless it's really bad, which wouldn't be fixed by vinyl) is better
sad

:v

Lo siento, user, pero vinyl es mejor.

*to the quality of the album (in terms of how good it is)

>not want to hear your music with the best, most authentic sound possible
Pleb.

It depends on the source material, but if it was originally recorded to be on vinyl, or tape, then it will sound better, because it's as originally intended to be listened.
There are remasters, and those are alright, but there's nothing like the original sound.
Yes, it's a kind of hedonic, autistic pleasure. Most people wouldn't understand, but when most normies listen to music on my audio setup on vinyl they flip their shit out because it does sound different.
Better? Subjective, but it's different.

I like the warmer sound of Cassettes, I also like 24bit Flac on my HiFi Walkman.

This. I ripped one of my black metal tapes to YouTube, and it sounds good, but even that doesn't match the sound of the cassette in my tape deck. It's just not the same.

>willing to shell out big bucks for a barely noticeable audio quality difference that shouldn't affect your rating of an album
that's just stupid

Solo los abuelos con la verga arrugada excuachan vinyl

I agree with them having a "warmer" sound; but, what do you mean by "dynamic"?

>barely noticeable
Maybe to a pleb.

clearly you haven't heard music on good systems

Ah, I see what you mean. It does makes sense it would sound better in the medium it was designed for.

Así es mi junior, siga escuchando esos livestreams de géneros meme en youtube.

It doesn't matter as long as the album's objective qualities are still there and able to be absorbed. I understand if it's like 50 kbps digital but the difference is not enough to waste money on.

youtube.com/watch?v=nKtrmPi322g
is that you user ?

Don't get triggered because anons call you a pleb, you're right that it doesn't really change the experience immensely, ultimately, the recording is still the same. And digital does sound good anyway. But read what this user said, he's right:

There's more high and low end, as opposed to everything being midrange and LOUD for the sake of being LOUD, especially on older records. You can make out the individual instruments more than you can with digital recordings, and everything doesn't sound as compressed and gainy.

Yes :^)

>triggered
wew

I understand that the experience is better (even if slightly) and I agree with that user that it is an autistic pleasure (which I would be willing to enjoy), I'm arguing for the fact that it's a waste of money if it doesn't change the experience all that much. I'll probably try it once I have more money.

i want this tape really bad
do you know where i could get one of these ?

Quality theater sound systems and atmospheres don't impact how I critique films, I'm still shelling out cash at my theater because I enjoy those expensive ass sound systems.

>don't impact how I critique films
good on you

Thanks, user.

Just one thing:

What's all the crackley stuff?

I put a link in the description. I got mine in Discogs a few years ago for around $20. There's one for sale right now, but I wouldn't pay $80 for it. I would put it in your wantlist, and hope another one pops up for a reasonable price. Honestly any version of this album on cassette should sound pretty good, since they were all released before 2003, when the album was remastered.

ok thanks user

The sound of heaven.

There's one for $38 with $5 shipping on eBay right now. That seems to be the cheapest one out there. Apparently that version is going for a bit of money now. I've been looking for a nice old pressing of Under A Funeral Moon, or any of the first 3 Bathory albums, but old pressings of black metal records/tapes can be really expensive.

What's the most you guys paid for a tape?
I shelled out 200 shekels plus shipping for malice mizer's 1st demo.

human brains are relativistic
you can train your ear to like one or the other better with relative ease/simplicity
this thread is wank

I'm considering paying over $150 for a copy of Mayhem's "Deathcrush" signed by Euronymous. I hate myself.

Try considering to pay 230$ for Ty Segall's 6 cassette box

are you sure that it's original ?

Wasn't part of the reason compression was introduced was to fight the needle noise on analog equipment? It sounds to me like you are talking about production style rather than the medium. Compression is the reason you can make out instruments well in the first place.

The warm sound is basically just mild distortion and you can emulate this pretty easily.

It is known that the human ear cannot really detect sound changes that are short-lived enough. Therefore, as far as I know, I cannot think of any argument as to why digital even might be worse than analog.

Compression was around long before CDs. It was around before 8-tracks.

Who wants to bet you buy modern albums on vinyl that are digitally mastered?

Fuck you Conner Williams.

my vinyls always get scratched/warrped and crackle/pop/skip/repeat. then they sound worse than digital. and i dont have a way to back up my vinyls except buy another one. vinyls seem like a jewish trick to me.

I'm a DJ which is currently replacing all my digital stuff with vinyls. It's just a completely different experience. I can record my stuff in rekordbox and also use DVS to play mp3 on a vinyl so I have the best of both worlds.

>my vinyls always get scratched/warrped
This is why I don't let my kids touch my vinyls.

That's not how a CD released in 1991 looks like, what is the source of this picture?

>increase 200-250hz in the equalizer and reduce 4000hz by ~2-3db, increase mid frequencies by 2db
>lower the volume of the track until the waveform looks tiny
>add some limiter so your virgin ears don't get penetrated by the drums
Wow it is nice to have the Vinyl Experience™ for free, this is valid for pretty much every vinyl release nowadays since everyone just changes the digital tracks.

Reminder that vinyl after the 80s is NOT how the artist intended it, mastering on vinyl requires extensive modification of the audio so it can be played correctly on the hardware, vinyl sometimes is better if they bothered to decompress the audio for that release, but don't expect your early 90's albums to be better or enjoy having big album art.

*but don't expect your early 90's albums to be better unless you enjoy having big album art

Fuck I need to sleep

I agree when sometimes I want a gentler, flatter sound but there's inherent flaws in vinyl.

>decompress the audio
all this shit knowledge

>vinyls
Did you guys get English classes in the Amazon or something?

>decompress vinyl
lmao wat

>Want to hear your music in a worse quality
Pleb.

I meant that vinyl is ok if they don't just take the track from the CD and use that, since the tracks are just changed a little so they can be played on the hardware and that's probably were all the "dynamics" of most modern vinyl releases come from.

Sorry m8 but most of the stuff I have is vinyl release only so I have no idea what you're talking about.

>The warm sound is basically just mild distortion and you can emulate this pretty easily.
exactly

less dynamic you moron

Remember that live sounds better than recordings.

Especially with classical.

you mean only with classical

Digital sounds better than vinyl. Audio engineers say so.

laweekly.com/music/why-cds-may-actually-sound-better-than-vinyl-5352162

>As long as you can measure the difference, the CD will be better than the vinyl, absolutely," says Kees A. Schouhamer Immink, a former Philips engineer in the Netherlands, who was a member of the Sony/Philips task force that created the compact disc standards. "But if you say the whole experience — just like smoking cigars with friends — [is better], well, do it. Enjoy smoking cigars with friends, and drink beer and brandy and enjoy listening to an old-fashioned record player. But don't say the sound is better.

>"You may say it sounds better to you. That's OK. That's a subjective matter."

>In 1968, a 23-year-oldaudio engineer named Bob Ludwig at New York's A&R Recording was asked to create a test pressing of The Band's debut,Music From Big Pink, so that the producers could hear what it would sound like on LP. During the process, he especially tried to preserve as much as possible of the deep low end of the band's sound, which he believed was critical to its music.

>But when he heard the final LP that was released, he was stunned. "All the low, extreme low bass that I knew was there, was chopped right off."

>Years later, when Ludwig was hired to provide the final edit (known as mastering) for a greatest-hits package for The Band, he got the album's master tapes back from Capitol Records. On the box was a note from the cutting engineer who'd made the original vinyl master, saying the album's extreme low end had to be cut out.

>Of vinyl's inherent deficiencies, reproducing bass is one of its most glaring. The other is that the last track on each side of a record sounds worse than the first, due to the fact that the player's stylus covers fewer inches of grooves per second as it gets closer to the center.

>"The vinyl disc is a steadily collapsing medium," says Ludwig,

>The vinyl disc is a steadily collapsing medium
we on some astrophysics shit now

JAJAJAJAJJAJAJAJAJAJJAJ GAUILA MUCHA PRADJADANADAS JAJAJJAJAJAJA

Digital is the technically superior medium. It's a shame retarded audio engineers destroy digital albums for no reason by massively increasing the volume and removing all dynamic range.

Because I'm old and my hearing is shot above 16 kHz anyways.....

Digital is actually usually better mastered for current listening technology, e.g. headphones. Anyone old enough to remember vinyl (or who had parents who played vinyl a lot as a kid) recognizes the warmer sound as being better, but really it's not quite as accurate. It all comes down to personal preference. For one when I love an album I work a vinyl copy into my budget right away.

i hooked up my record player to an analog mixer that goes straight out to a pair of 5" monitors, and HOLY HELL does it sound awesome, not even "better" but just different in a GOOD way
it's really too bad that vinyl isn't as portable as other formats, that's it's only downfall i m o

Anyone else annoyed by both formats? With vinyl, in my experience, no matter how good my setup, there's always a bit of background noise and kind of crackling, and lack of detail. With digital, it sounds much more clear, but kind of cold and lifeless, and almost painful to listen to. I prefer digital because I hate having to find specific pressings that sound good, and keeping my records in good condition.