What does Sup Forums think of Nolan ?

What does Sup Forums think of Nolan ?

essential redditcore

Biggest director since the silent era

very strange hairline

He's not the second coming cinema like his fanboys say, but he's still one of the best American directors working today. His movies aren't that deep, they're just smarter and better then the American blockbuster and there's nothing wrong with that. A lot of people here just hate him because he's popular and critically accustomed

Kinomaker but not as good as Snyder or Tarantino

Snyder is a poor mans Nolan

>one of the best American directors working today

our guy, the greatest director of all time, the king of Sup Forums

B R A V 0 N O L A N
R
A
V
N
O
L
A
N

I'm not sure what's so bad about thinking that, I never said he's the best

he's not American, my friend.

Overrated Hack

I've should've rephrased it, I meant of the best directors in America

B R A V O
R
A
V
O

Not bad at directing sinec he doesn't use a lot of CGI in order to make his scenes believable, but he's weak on script and lack a lot of magination and creativity. it took him almost 10years to write the script if Inception, after each movie he made before he came back to Inception's script and tried hard to improve it but he was stuck in a limbo.
Untill Satoshi God released Paprika and saved his ass, the dude didn't give any credits he's a such a cokcy hack.

>thinks reddit started baneposting

COOL STORY BRO!

Memes aside, he knows how to make a good blockbuster. His films are both action packed and emotional, and since it's clear that the majority of the population doesn't really like deep or artistic stuff, he just makes them super convoluted so the audience feels smart when the movie explains itself at the end.

He also picks subjects that are obviously guaranteed successes, or picks ones that have already been done and then dumbs them down.
>"Lynch did dream logic? Just make it all super sick and add guns and shooting"
>"Kubrick did one about space, life and human nature itself, and humanity evolving to the next plane of existence? No shut up it's love and mystery nonsense and you're too stupid to understand but trust me it's really cool"

I don't hate him, but I'm not a fan. His movies are like cheap magic tricks. He just flashes a bunch of things in front of your face to confuse you and make you try to figure it out, but if you back out and look at it from a distance, you realize it's just a trick. An intricate one, but a trick nonetheless.

Kon was truly one of the greatest.

pretty spot on 2bh. Good analogy RE magic trick.

To Lynch and Kubrick, I'd add that Nolan's Batman movies borrowed from the tone/premises of Michael Mann's.

This. He elevated blockbusters to something more than the traditional formula. He improved the dynamics and showed millions of people who only take cinema casually several new ways to enjoy a film.
He's the modern day Hitchcock and he will bring many people closer to the truer nature of cinema art.

THE HEAD

IT BURNS

I was actually thinking this exact same thing a few months ago. How appropriate that he made a movie about magic tricks utilizes the same tactic of presenting a simple, illogical premise in a confusing but cool way to make it seem too complicated for the average person to understand. He wants to fool people, and most of the time he gets just that.

which utilizes*

bump

I'm actually underwhelmed that he is doing a ww2 movie next.

Interstellar was sort of disappointing.

Snyder is a awful director.

The Dark Knight is his best film. Even with its flaws, it's a solid watch. And the only superhero flick with anything to say. It's the only film of its genre where the hero and the villain aren't really the main characters, are the villain is defeated by the common empathy of the 'innocent civilians'. Kudos to Nolan for that. Can't really do much with the essential superhero tropes beyond that.

Everything else he's done is okay, but doesn't stand out as much.