RIVERDALE

So... This is actually happening.

>As a new school year begins, the town of Riverdale is still reeling from the recent, tragic death of golden boy Jason Blossom. The summer's events have made local teen Archie Andrews (KJ Apa) realize that he wants to pursue a career in music and not follow in his father Fred's (Luke Perry) footsteps in the construction business, and he sets up to strike a partnership with snooty classmate Josie McCoy (Ashleigh Murray), the frontwoman of the popular band Josie & The Pussycats. Also weighing on his mind is his fractured friendship with sullen heartthrob Jughead Jones (Cole Sprouse) and his forbidden liaison with music teacher Geraldine Grundy (Sarah Habel).

>Meanwhile, girl-next-door Betty Cooper (Lili Reinhart) is anxious to see her crush Archie after being away all summer, but she's not quite ready to reveal her true feelings to him. When a new student, Veronica Lodge (Camilla Mendes), arrives in town from New York, there's an undeniable spark between her and Archie, even though Veronica doesn't want to risk her new friendship with Betty by making a play for him.

>Cheryl Blossom (Madeline Petsch), Riverdale's Queen Bee and Jason's twin sister, is happy to stir up trouble amongst Archie, Betty, and Veronica, but she is keeping secrets of her own. Specifically about her brother's mysterious death, secrets that Archie might be connected with.

>Riverdale may look like a small, quiet town, but there is darkness hidden underneath the shadows, and as Archie and his friends venture further into its mysteries, its secrets are slowly brought to life, with unexpected consequences.

Other urls found in this thread:

vimeo.com/173436029
wired.com/2016/07/riverdale-pilot-comic-con/
newsarama.com/30389-best-shots-review-riverdale-pilot.html
io9.gizmodo.com/riverdale-turns-archie-comics-into-a-teenage-noir-soap-1784012457?utm_campaign=socialflow_io9_twitter&utm_source=io9_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

This is being described as "Twin Peaks"-esque, btw.

Why has Archie comics decided to ditch their family image and go maximum edge with it?

The archie comics have actually had some pretty good interesting shit as of late and i think they're their own publisher so i'm gonna give them the benefit of the doubt and give this a shot

if we've learned anything from DC movies, it's that edge is the first and only successful selling point

>blossoms have a large role
>Josie with a large role
>worst sprouse as jughead
>ronnie as a 'new girl'
>f-

fuck me i can't even type this out without shaking my head

>forbidden liason with Grundy

I'll have to watch this out of sheer curiosity if anything. I can't even fathom what I'm reading

There was one guy in charge of Archie for decades, keeping it wholesome, and I'm pretty sure he died recently.

That's also why there's a horror comic series, Afterlife with Archie, where Sabrina creates a zombie apocalypse in Riverdale. Actually pretty good stuff.

It's being presented as satire and actually getting decent reviews, it might actually be fun.

fuck this is sounding better and better

If they constantly reference shit from the older comics (the one-off stories and shit, not the gay marriage or 'what if' shit about who archie marries) and use a lot of the recurring characters right... This could be something special

I have seen nothing to suggest it's satire. In fact, the CW is usually the channel pumping out the garbage teen shows to be targeted for satire.

This will be a complete train wreck of cliches and countless unlikeable and terrible people who can't act for shit.

And where are these reviews you speak of?

I'm optimistic. As stated the comics have been interesting, the approach to the series sounds the same. Plus Madchen as Mrs. Cooper.

The CW produces decent, comfy shows. Yes yes, true patricians may turn up their nose, but Flash and iZombie are very good. Crazy XGF and Legends are ok as well.

iZombie is pretty self aware

>So...

But even if I were to concede that they have a few good shows, the fact remains that most of their shows are melodramatic trash. This sounds exactly like the kind of setting that will let them runaway with all the terrible trash they usually inject into their shows.

How can anyone actually be looking forward to this?

vimeo.com/173436029

>and his forbidden liaison with music teacher Geraldine Grundy

So they're not for you. Ok, fair enough. What's your endgame here?

It's not really Archie. There will be lots of complaints because it's not really Archie. It's taking the title Archie for marketing and using it as an excuse to make Twin Peaks crossed with Pretty Little Liars.

>I have seen nothing to suggest it's satire.

The showrunner himself said it. It's an over-the-top kind of grimdark that is played seriously within the show, but ridiculous from the audience's perspective.

Sabrina reimagined as a CW drama is such a perfect fit that I'm surprised it hasn't happened already

>It's not really Archie. There will be lots of complaints because it's not really Archie.

There's been tons of different interpretations of this fictional universe, just like every comics IP.

It's going to be shit and I feel bad for anyone who expects differently.

Ain't no nigger with Blossom for a last name ever amounted to anything. Golden Boy my ass. He wasn't no big guy.

well keep it to yourself because nobody gives a shit that you've given up on life

Duly noted, user.

>In fact, the CW is usually the channel pumping out the garbage teen shows to be targeted for satire.

How long haven't you watched a CW show? They made a complete break from teen soap operas to genre shows. They're basically the superhero/sci-fi/supernatural network now, and their stuff is pretty good.

>The showrunner himself said it

No he hasn't. Show me a source that show's me I'm wrong. People just claim it's satire because they know it's ridiculous to take this shit seriously, which it will.

Sure, but comics do all sorts of crazy shit as one-offs and spin-offs etc. The fact is that people will expect one thing and get another. That's part of the problem with reimagining established source material

Holy shit that line about a reckoning had me in stitches. Who is the target audience for this?

>There will be lots of complaints because it's not really Archie
>The fact is that people will expect one thing and get another.

Glad the people have you looking out for them. iZombie is hardly like the comic and it works just fine.

>Not watching a show that's obviously going to be shit
>equates to giving up on life

Oh yeah, I'm in a living hell alright.

You should keep trolling this thread with your negativity. These hopeful, optimistic faggots need to learn.

No-one gives a shit about the no-name comic book that nobody read, it was effectively a new IP. Archie was long-running and iconic.

>someone says it might be good as they heard it was supposed to be a kind of satire

Option A:
>Okay if that's the case it might be neat

Option B:
>Nope i never heard that i need a source and video footage and you're all fucking IDIOTS for thinking this will be good in the slightest to any one of the seven billion people on this planet

guess which one you picked, and guess which one shows signs of depression, narcissism, and general negativity

Not quite a goalpost land speed record, but you're getting there

>Light-hearted, silly comic
>Make it an edgy tv series
May watch it if it's good.

Ok, well, you should contact CW and air your grievances before this goes any further, you know, for the "people."

>Sure, but comics do all sorts of crazy shit as one-offs and spin-offs etc. The fact is that people will expect one thing and get another. That's part of the problem with reimagining established source material
I agree. Though to be fair, this is called "Riverdale" not straight up "Archie". It's the CWified Archie. Honestly, I think it's kinda dumb, but I don't mind it as bad as Man Of Murder.

>general negativity

I'm sorry, did you want me to direct you to a safe space? It's going to be bad.

>And where are these reviews you speak of?

wired.com/2016/07/riverdale-pilot-comic-con/

newsarama.com/30389-best-shots-review-riverdale-pilot.html

io9.gizmodo.com/riverdale-turns-archie-comics-into-a-teenage-noir-soap-1784012457?utm_campaign=socialflow_io9_twitter&utm_source=io9_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

This

Sup Forums is known for it's epic edge and negativity, unironically enjoying things is passé as fuck, if you cant hack it fuck off!

Lot of folk in this thread telling you otherwise, pal. I don't mind negative opinions. I just get miffed when people try to force them on me when I have opposing positive opinions.

I know it's 'Sup Forums-hip' to hate on shit and pretend optimism is a plague, but try to keep it at an acceptable level, son.

I don't give a damn, just explaining the problem with attaching a brand for marketing and then doing crazy shit with it. Remember Hot Yoing Black Ironside? Ran for three episodes iirc

I actually think a version played straighter could have done well for the network, don't know about this version.

Sabrina would have been perfect for The CW. Sexy teenage witch, make it more actiony and you could have a modern Buffy.

>Lot of folk in this thread telling you otherwise, pal
It's like, two people. And there's only 13 IP in the thread. It's on the CW. It's by Greg Berlanti. It's going for the tween Pretty Little Liars audience. How can anyone pretend this is going to be good? They took the trailer down but it just looked like a bunch of cliched unimaginative shit.

You're so fucking wrapped up in pessimism and bleakness that you can't even fathom how others could see promise in something. I am sorry, user.

I'm legitimate asking what makes you think this could be good. It wasn't rhetorical.

WHY DO YOU LIKE THINGS I DONT (EVEN THOUGH I HAVENT EVEN SEEN IT) REEEEEE

>EVEN THOUGH I HAVENT EVEN SEEN IT
user it's a safe bet it'll be shit

Jesus, I'm being serious. I'm asking why you're interested in the show. I already told you why I'm not. Why are you resorting to insane strawman arguments?

>characters intact
>crazy shit like romance between jug and grundy
>potentially all satirical but played straight
>etc.

Saying "what makes this look good" and "How can anyone pretend this is going to be good" are so fucking different of questions it's unreal, by the way

Some people like these shows dude! It's not science you autistic dweeb.

To be fair, The CW hasn't premiered a legit bad series in years (Beauty and the Beast), and it can be hard to cut trailers of weird shows. And Twin Peaks crossed with Pretty Little Liars is potentially interesting/fun if executed well. Desperate Housewives was huge not THAT long ago and is in the same ballpark.

>Saying "what makes this look good" and "How can anyone pretend this is going to be good" are so fucking different of questions it's unreal, by the way

This so much. Don't fucking pretend like you're being some reasonable gentlemanly scholar about this. You're phrasing things in a very confrontational way and then recoiling in shock when people respond defensively.

Woman tactics.

>characters intact
You mean like Miss Grundy being played by a young twenty something and has sex with Archie? Do you even know who Miss Grundy is? Google her if you don't, then tell me they've kept the characters intact.

>potentially all satirical but played straight
What does that mean? If it was satire it might be enjoyable.

>Saying "what makes this look good" and "How can anyone pretend this is going to be good" are so fucking different of questions it's unreal, by the way
Don't be a pussy, user. It's the internet. Learn to not take things personally.

Calm down, girl. Doesn't sound like you're being to gentlemanly either. I'm am not wildly biased again the show for any reason, but nothing I've seen makes me think this show will be enjoyable.

>i like it
>i don't
>okay
>you shouldn't
>why
>because. why would you like it?
>these reasons
>YOUR REASONS ARE WRONG

by characters intact i mean it's not archie and jughead and a dozen donut steels, it's all the characters by name and general position in the dynamic. I'm not explaining what "satirical played straight" means, you can do your own fucking research. And I'm not taking it personally, you're being a fucking cunt and it bothers me more and more every day to see the population of this website replaced with people like you.

>nothing I've seen makes me think this show will be enjoyable.

Some of us feel differently. Our reasons and yours don't match up. Why are you being such a fucking sperg about this? How can someone be disinterested yet be totally dead set on making sure everyone else is as well?

Archie is a property that, while I have fond memories reading the digests and all of that stuff, I could care less if they change it around and do something new with it. most people dont even like Archie, so hearing them doing things akin to Dawson's Creek meets Twin Peaks adds some interesting situations for characters known for being corny and safe.
though its obvious the Archie brand is just there to give the show more notoriety than if it was its own thing. Nothing wrong with at I guess, in this case its Archie.

CW is one of the few networks that makes real fucking TV.
HBOfags can go fuck themselves.

>it's all the characters by name and general position in the dynamic
It's just a highschool setting. There's nothing unique about the dynamic. If you're interested in the show it's probably not because you want to see how the network adapts the series. They're almost night and day it seems.

>I'm not explaining what "satirical played straight" means, you can do your own fucking research
There's no such thing as "satirical played straight". It's either serious or it's satire. This will be played completely straight and will be a trainwreck of awfulness. At least it might be fun to hatewatch.

>And I'm not taking it personally, you're being a fucking cunt
Maybe you should calm down son.

>it bothers me more and more every day to see the population of this website replaced with people like you.
Would you prefer I Banepost?

Bout to read the newest Afterlife w/ Archie actually. Cannot fathom how slow it comes out (considering FF posts commissions and sketches he does all day long) but its still a decent book

Whatever, chalk up a victory or whatever it is you expect to get out of this, I don't care. I'm watching it and discussing it in a thread would have been nice but I guess that's too much to ask in 2016

Sorry to have bothered you

>Would you prefer I Banepost?

Yes. That's occasionally funny. This is a desperate display you're putting out here today.

i prefer trumanposting desu

Allow me to interrupt the circlejerk to post the character bios, which are hilarious in their own right.

ARCHIE ANDREWS (KJ Apa)

>Archie is a a high school sophomore who is still boyishly handsome but got pumped after working construction for his dad during the summer. He is an intense, conflicted teen grappling with heavy issues and juggling the unexpected interest of several girls while discovering his passion for writing and performing music against his father and his football coach’s better wishes. He also harbors more than one dark, terrible secret.

In one of the comics half the population of riverdale were hunted down by a predator and made into trophies.

Pretty standard promotional language, not really humorous let alone hilarious.

>darkness hidden underneath the shadows

Jesus, what liberal arts drop out wrote this?

BETTY COOPER (Lili Reinhart)

>Betty is a sweet, smart, eager-to-please and wholesome sophomore with self-esteem issues and affinity for Adderall. She has a crush on her longtime best friend, Archie, and, tired of being the "perfect" everything, turns to her new friend, Veronica, for life advice, to the consternation of her domineering mother. Betty hails from a dysfunctional family and has a coveted spot on the cheerleading squad — though with certain conditions.

kek

Where my epic STEMbros at

VERONICA LODGE (Camilla Mendes)

>A silver-tongued stunner, Veronica has just returned to Riverdale from New York with her divorcee mother, following an embezzlement scandal which resulted in her father going to prison. Extremely intelligent, self-confident and immediately popular, Veronica is a sophomore and is eager to reinvent herself — from Mean Girl to caring friend. In the process, she sets her sights on Archie, threatening to damage her newfound friendship with Betty.

I think most people on here really like the idea of a Twin Peaks inspired Archie show. Its a novel concept to check out. whether it works as a show on its own has yet to be seen by me (havent seen a trailer, the pics I dont care for but still going to give it a go). But thats the same with most people on here, and theyre going to be optimistic about the concept until they can actually see it being executed.

I get your reasons for not being into it, so im not going to be a bitch about it. But Archie is at a point where the characters are at their most interesting when theyre taken out of the typical Riverdale setting and their traits and personality are played with abit, thats just how the property keeps fresh anymore.

also, I hear Sabrina is some hardcore Salem style witch in the show, that sounds cool

JUGHEAD JONES (Cole Sprouse)

>Jughead is a caffeine-addicted sophomore and a sullen heartthrob with a philosophical bent. The lanky lad is Archie’s former best friend, seeing as the two still are smarting from a rift that took place between them. Angry, Jughead refuses to take the olive branch being proffered by Archie, the hurt goes that deep.

KEVIN KELLER (Casey Cott)

>Betty's openly homosexual, quick-witted best friend, Kevin struggles to mend fences with his conservative ex-military father, who refuses to accept his son's lifestyle, and is looking for love in all the wrong places.

Calling it now Betty and Ronie are gonna end up together.

MOOSE MASON (Cody Kearsley)

>The star player of Riverdale High's football team, Moose becomes fast friends with Archie when he decides to join the team. What he lacks in brains he makes up for in muscle, and he has a particular soft spot for older women.

They kiss in the pilot episode.

Also either Jughead or Moose will be gay with Kevin Keller.

REGGIE MANTLE (Ross Butler)

>The town prankster, Reggie is a wealthy and sarcastic sophomore who fashions himself as the big man on campus,and feels threatened when Archie begins stealing the spotlight.

CHERYL BLOSSOM (Madelaine Petsch)

>This fiery redhead is rich, entitled and never accountable. A manipulative mean girl who kills with kindness, she recently lost her twin brother Jason Blossom, with whom she shared a particularly close and intimate relationship, in a mysterious boating accident.

Seriously. I'm not here to ruin your day or your life. You wanted my opinions you got them. Don't take it so personally.

Nothin' personal, kid.

JOSIE McCOY (Ashleigh Murray)

>Josie is a gorgeous, snooty and ambitious sophomore, and the lead singer for popular band Josie and the Pussycats, as well as the mayor's daughter. As such, she has zero interest in recording any songs written by fellow teen Archie, but that won't stop him from trying to sway her.

MELODY VALENTINE (Asha Bromfield)

>A cheerful and naive drummer for Josie and the Pussycats.

VALERIE BROWN (Irie Hayleau)

>An ambitious, career-obsessed songwriter, bassist, and backup vocalist for Josie & The Pussycats.

DILTON DOILEY (Daniel Yang)

>Dilton is the smartest kid in town, and as such, know more about its shadier going-ons than it appears.

ETHEL MUGGS (Shannon Purser)

>"Big Ethel" is a textbook wallflower and a favored target of Reggie Mantle. When Betty and Veronica join forces to dispense some payback, Ethel is eager to join in on the plot.

TINA PATEL (Olivia Ryan Stern)

>Cheryl's vicious best friend and second-in-command, Tina will stop at nothing to become the resident queen bee of Riverdale High.

Barb is cute!

GINGER LOPEZ (Caitlin Mitchell Markovitch)

>One of Cheryl's cronies, Ginger comes off as ditzy and airheaded, but might know more about the shady secrets of Riverdale than it appears.

>be black
>see this shit
>start to think Sup Forums has a fucking point

It's so fucking stupid, what was wrong with the original formula, hell you could have had josie the caucasian, Melody the asian and Valerie still black BUT OHHHHHHHHHHHH NO! GOTTA OVERFILL THAT FUCKING QUOTA SO EVERYBODY IN THE BAND IS NOW BLACK!

I HOPE FUCKING CHUCK IS A TRANS TO MAKE UP FOR THIS SHIT!

They're going to have to outdo themselves on the marketing to get people to buy into this and for it not to seem painfully stupid.

gb2 stormfag

>They're going to have to outdo themselves on the marketing

Yeah, you keep saying that

>There will be lots of complaints because it's not really Archie. It's taking the title Archie for marketing

>I don't give a damn, just explaining the problem with attaching a brand for marketing

>don't have an argument? Scream Sup Forums!

Fuck you, i'm tired of this shit and you should be too.

I read through the first half of the posts here and gave up. Old man here, fwiw.

Read Archie comics for years in the late 70s and into the 80s. Thoroughly forgettable but fun comics. I always preferred >it's a Jughead episode, but what I really preferred was the inoffensive notion of Riverdale and the characters who inhabited it.

I haven't seen any of this, won't watch any of this, and I know I'm not the audience, but here's my question and no-Sup Forums: Why can't "they" make up their own shit? Why do things that used to be relatively sane and pure have to be distorted, perverted and slandered?

I know why, but the larger point is that sarcasm and irony are the hideaways of the non-creative and the ugly, and that's what this is. Archie,, Betty, Veronica, Reggie, Jughead, Moose etc are very simple archetypes - the desire to manipulate and pervert those archetypes aren't so much sad as dangerous.

So then... Dilton "Doi-Lee?"

Oldmanrant cont....

It's absurd to attach Twin Peaks to this unless David Lynch is attached - the metaphor of the ugliness-beneath-the-beauty is infused in Twin Peaks, an original creation. Trying to hijack that and attach it to Archie Comics is a bad idea.

>Twin Peaks crossed with Pretty Little Liars

This sounds like it could be great fun desu.

It's a mockery of Destiny's Child.

Expect one of them to steal the spotlight and go solo.

>Mr. Lodge wont be in the series

The fuck?