/band/ general

Discuss your current band or what kind of band you want to make or your current situation music wise.

Motivate and help other anons that are struggling with their bands/forming a band.

Give tips on how to make a band successful, how to promote material, good places to play, etc.

If you have a design for an album (front and/or back cover), feel free to post it and have others give their opinions/advice on it.

If you're trying to start a band, feel free to post your area code and what state you live in as well as what kind of music you want to make so you can meet up with other anons near by. If you go to a college, feel free to post that too.

Working on getting a death metal band together. Got my drummer and guitarist, I'm the vocalist. Problem is that my guitarist is a piece of emo shit. Chaps 21 and still writes edgy poetry. Wants us to be a nu-male level "'metal band" with songs about love and loss. But he's the best guitarist I know, and can shred like crazy.

Howdy! I'm in a regionally successful fuzzpop group. Started as a two piece with our singer and myself, and a drum machine, we added a bassist. We're out of Birmingham, AL.

About to put out another EP, 4-tracks, and a live split in the winter.

If anyone needs any advice, I'd be happy to help.

beat him up, make him come to practice, only let him write music, no lyrics. You write the lyrics. He can take it or leave it. He'll likely take it.

sounds like a non issue to me
who fucking reads death metal lyrics anyway, 90% of bands write the same shit

562 California

I've been going through craigslist in the hopes that I find people to form a band with. I emailed this one guy and he asked me about some bands I liked. I sent him some links, but man the way he described the music really put me off, like he had such a limited range of musical knowledge and the way he typed it out made me think he didn't really know what he was talking about.

What's a good way to find people to form a band with?

My dream is to make an album that revolutionizes the guitar in the same way that Loveless did through an autistic level of attention to detail. Unfortunately, I've only been learning bass for half a year and guitar for a month, although I have an image in my head. 727 Florida btw.

I'm currently in a band called Shape Shifter - 4 piece alt-rock outfit from Flint, MI and we're about to play our second show on the 23rd.
Finding people to play with isn't easy. You need a pretty solid mixture of interpersonal chemistry, playing ability, and interest in playing a certain genre. If you're still young enough to do this, join your high school band. Your chances of finding other competent musicians will sky rocket. Or will at least be marginally better.

My former band was a 3 piece (2004-2006) and then reformed as a 4 piece (2009-2015).

guitar/vocals (from 2009-2015)
bass/vocals (me)
lead guitar
drums/vocals

I was the primary songwriter (split about 80/20 with the lead guitarist) until our other guitarist/singer joined in '09 (became about 40/40/20).

Our sound was basic power pop (ala Cheap Trick/Big Star) with a lot of harmonies, but with a dark twist (a lot of lyrics about death and suicide).

We tried too hard to be like the Beatles without ever covering them. It was a lot of fun playing live and recording, but towards the end we all developed opposing personalities and decided unanimously to split up and remain on good terms.

I'm recording solo stuff now since I know how to play guitar, bass, keys, and drums. It's actually much harder than having a full band.

630/IL btw

If you need a bassist or guitarist. I don't really want to move a drum set around everywhere and piano/keys are not my strong suit.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you write songs? What was your process?

how the fuck do I form a band
I know a pianist/guitarist/synthist(?) and a trumpet player
I also play guitar
none of us can sing

Here's a couple albums I very much enjoy.

I am looking to form a diy/independant rock band consisting of people that are open minded towards the different styles of music out there and are willing to contribute their own ideas to the band. My hope is that all the band members will be willing to contribute their own ideas and all the other band members will help to make those ideas a reality. So sometimes I'll be the band leader and all the other members will play the parts I've composed, and then other times the other members will be the leader and we do what they've wrote.

For myself, I already have several songs that are finished and ready to be played and recorded. I play a Conn C melody. If you live near Downey, CA, I'd love to meet you in person.

Do you really need a singer? Besides, even if none of you can sing, you don't need to be a good singer to be a great vocalist.

I totally get you dude. That's what I hope to do for a band I want to form, except maybe not in the vein of Loveless so much, more just general rock music.

I would hum a lot at work and school (when no one was around as to not appear autistic). I'd come up with melodies in my head during the day and grab my guitar when I got home and figued them out. Lyrics usually came last and I don't have much of a secret to writing lyrics, they just came to me.

bump

I don't mean I want it to sound like Loveless, I just mean that I want to make an autistically-focused-on-detail album

ah alright. In that case, yeah, I see eye to eye with you.

bump

Interesting. Thanks

just do chanty gang vocals, and listen to rx bandits
not to say that the guitar wouldnt be cool, but if you were to go that same route with bass then its pretty uncharted territory

I'm forming a Sludge band with Punk and Thrash influence but I can't find a drummer worth a damn any tips? I don't wanna use a drum machine but may have to

Band name?

exactly what I'm also trying to do, left it out of my post since I thought it sounded stupid

Our bassist/vocalist/primary songwriter is moving to Oklahoma later this year so we're going to have to try and get stuff recorded andsee if we can still make stuff online. I'm probably gonna talk to our drummer and see if he'd be down for starting a duo side project so we don't loose out on all the chemistry we've gotten from playing together for almost 7 years.
Is there a college near by with a music department? You might be able to find somebody there.

I think it's pretty silly to not like him just cause the subjects he's writing about

No I live in a college town so you would think there's a music scene but there isn't one so I'm trying to start one

What about some neighboring towns? I know a couple bands that drive across a state once a month to practice so you don't really need to be next door to each other, even though that would be ideal.

>tfw my band broke up because the vocalist and drummer were fucking each other and broke up

anyone in the bay area want to start a band with me?

That would be pretty difficult plus I already have a bassist/vocalist we just want to find a guy to drum for demos and then get someone but if it doesn't work out I'll just play drums on the demos and use a drum machine live

has anyone here a session recorder if so was is a good experience and do you need a certain knowledge of music theory to be one?

How's the underground scene?

Been thinking about starting up a band when I finish my move to Texas. Have some ideas for songs and some feels stories but I really want to have the melody there before I put pen to paper. Thinking of a kind of prog mixed with a bit of heavy metal. Just looking for the standard guitar bass drums.

>drummer friend and i were supposed to play today
>was still sleeping when he supposedly got to my driveway
>apparemtly he sat there for a while, didnt actually call me, just sent a few texts

>this is like the third time ive flaked on him
>told him to find a new guitarist/bassist since im not very good anyway

he had a meltdown lol

None of my friends play instruments. I only play the guitar and sing. My guitar playing isn't the greatest but it isn't the worst. I have a hard time coming up with guitar parts that are original and don't sound hollow. I don't really know what to do. I'd love to start a band but the music scene where I live seems to be pretty dead (SW Michigan).

We're forming and i've been working on brushing up on my drums, guitar, and piano skills while doing vocals. Unfortunately the pianist (knowing 8 months in advance) didn't practice at all.

bump

I have ideas for about 15 different albums. I have written some songs for all of them, but none of them are finished. Everytime I decide to seriously work on one concept a new one pops into my mind. Right now I'm trying to decide wether I should finish my acoustic black metal (I know, pretentious AF) project or my MIDI prog album ( yes, also pretentious AF).

How am i able to talk to you some more? Im interested in seeing some of your thoughts about music projects

Whenever a concept pops into your mind write it down in a little notebook, but don't follow it up. Get to work on finishing one song, hen another, from the same album or ep or whatever.

I've really only been practicing my piano and bass (besides being that one guy in the studio that fucks about with pedals and helps carrying stuff for a few friends), mostly bass. I kinda wanna mix bossa nova and prog rock, love both styles. Left last band to focus on studies and try to go to the US to live there.