Revolver

Was this the first album in history where more than half of the songs are about drugs?

i'm not convinced half the songs are about drugs or even obviously directly inspired by drugs

yellow submarine, she said she said, doctor robert, i want to tell you, got to get you into my life and tomorrow never knows? maybe love you to also counts so that's either half or fewer

I'm Only Sleeping is about marijuana

Eleanor Rigby is actually about Paul snorting coke up his cock in a graveyard.

Reminder that this album was the Beatles' creative peak, and subsequent albums are merely re-treading old ground and refining it.

reminder that this is a meme opinion perpetuated by people who don't know what they're taking about

>The first draft of Lennon's lyrics for "I'm Only Sleeping", written on the back of a letter from 1966, suggests that he was writing about the joys of staying in bed rather than any drug euphoria sometimes read into the lyrics.[4] While not on tour, Lennon would usually spend his time sleeping, reading, writing or watching television, often under the influence of drugs, and would have to be woken by McCartney for their songwriting sessions.[5] In a London Evening Standard article published on 4 March 1966, Maureen Cleave, a friend of Lennon's, wrote: "He can sleep almost indefinitely, is probably the laziest person in England. 'Physically lazy,' he said. 'I don't mind writing or reading or watching or speaking, but sex is the only physical thing I can be bothered with any more.'"[6]
Sounds like it was literally about him only sleeping. McCartney has since come out and admitted which songs of theirs were about drugs, so I don't think he'd be lying.

And if you count alcohol as a drug there were tons of country and blues records that beat it to the punch.

>meme pepper
Rubber Soul with circus instruments.

>magical memery tour
Meme Pepper 2: Revolver without guitars.

>the white meme
Literally "back to basics"

>let it meme
See above.

>meme road
Meme Pepper 3: Now with better production.

of course alcohol is a drug, i suppose the distinction is this record was inspired by drugs that were not part of the mainstream or deemed socially acceptable, i would have said illegal but iirc acid wasn't illegal until like '67

you didn't put very much effort into this post man

I don't believe that The Beatles' discography is that amazing. It's full of brilliant and classic songs, but I think other groups have superior albums.

Just like the Beatles after 1966.

I still can't agree with that. Even though acid and pot are obviously an influence on many of the tracks people remember more than half the songs aren't about them in particular.

And, y'know, even though they may not technically be albums there were plenty of alcohol themed songs released during the 20s and early 30s.

Subsequent albums were still fantastic but yeah, Revolver is easily their peak. 65-66 in general was. Help!, Rubber Soul and Revolver, plus Paperback Writer, Rain, Day Tripper, We Can Work It Out.

Their middle section is their peak because it is the bridge between their superb early pop songwriting and their later experimental (often over indulgent) psychedelia. It's the best of both Beatle worlds. No band will ever have a 2 year recording spell as good again.

sgt peppers is pretty much the end of their psychedelic stuff, outside of a full tracks the following albums weren't particularly experimental in that regard, if anything they opted to generally avoided pursuing the trends w/psyche rock after sgt peppers came out, and imo sgt peppers wasn't over indulgent at all

Pretty much every blues song is about drugs or shooting muh baby so probably not

White Album may have been "back to basics" for the most part but it was still very experimental in parts; Helter Skelter, Happiness Is A Warm Gun, Revolution 9. There is a lot of self indulgence on that album. Magical Mystery Tour came out after Pepper and is their most psych album. As did songs such as Its All Too Much. Abbey Road used experimental recording techniques and saw the band use proggy (verging on psych) production.

Nah, because this came out first

I know She Said was about an acid trip John had with Peter Fonda, and Got To Get You Into My Life was Paul's sneaky way of admitting that he liked to smoke pot, but I don't know what other songs on this album are about Drugs. (O.K. Dr. Robert was about certain "Doctors" on 5th Avenue who would have "Therapy sessions" where patients were administered LSD but that's about it.)

Actually, LSD was outlawed in 1966, but it's true that 3/4s of The Beatles took it before it became illegal. (Paul didn't try it until after it was made illegal)

Tomorrow Never Knows, nigga.

The best Beatles album is All Things Must Pass.

It must be weird being this wrong.

this is the worst post I've ever seen

>He can sleep almost indefinitely
So can I, guess I'm as cool as 66' Lennon

That might've been inspired by drugs but it's not about drugs.

It's actually passages from The Tibetian Book of The Dead.