Is it really weird to go to the movies alone?

Is it really weird to go to the movies alone?

No. It can be nice actually.

It's not just weird
in my state it's illegal

Me too. No singles policy.

he's surrounded by ghosts

i usually keep my eye out for the guy who goes alone and do a quick visual analysis. usually its older males, usually they'll strike up a conversation with the couple or group of people theyre seated next to.

harmless enough.

>go to cinema with friends
>meet 5min before the movie starts
>talk 15min during the commercials
>be quiet for 2 hours
>talk a bit about the movie on the way to your cars

what a social experience!

>go to cinema alone
>buy ticket online
>come to cinema 15min after start, because you already planned the commercial time
>be quiet for 2 hours
>think about the movie on your way home
>shittalk on Sup Forums about it

Normally, no.
However going alone, dressed like that, with hair like that, an expression like that, sitting with legs crossed like that, and giving a thumbs-up, is really fucking weird.
Also, taking up two arm rests, even if the other seat is empty, is bad form.

Just get into art house cinema, you will see literally everyone by themselves because they have no friends that are into those films.

>go to movies
>theater is empty
>suddenly hear a voice
>"well big guy looks like its just you and me"
>*blocks your seat*

what do?

4u

>in my state it's illegal
>i usually keep my eye out for the guy who goes alone and do a quick visual analysis. usually its older males, usually they'll strike up a conversation with the couple or group of people theyre seated next to.

WHAT

THE

FUCK

I like reserving the whole hall and having only a waitress in my cinema. Sometimes discuss movies with barista afterwards.

bitch get your dirty boots off my seat

Can't see how it would be weird unless you're really insecure.

depends when and what movie. a matinee of a kino, sure go alone. a romcom at 8pm? nah you a loser.

move or be moved

>Also, taking up two arm rests, even if the other seat is empty, is bad form.
Fuck off. It's the one upside of strangers never sitting next to one another in today's asocial world.

i go to movies alone when i have a girlfriend as well. it's a different experience.

>be me
>go to movies with friends
>hell yeah bro.jpg
>get our tickets and popcorn, find our seats
>chill while we wait for previews to begin
>place is getting somewhat full, but there's still a decent amount of seats for people to sit in
>suddenly this middle aged bald dude walks up to our seats and sits right next to us
>says nothing
>friends and I just look at each other, wtf
>dude sits there, turns to us, awkwardly holding gaze with us a couple times, doesn't say anything. We just look at him, wondering what
>this goes on for a few minutes, previews still haven't started, me and my friends are thinking what the fuck
>dude looks at us again for literally a minute that feels forever
>after like 3-4 minutes, suddenly gets up and walks out the aisle and down the staircase and out the screening room
>ourfw

You do an ocular patdown?

You were going to be murdered but he lost his courage.

I only doing that when my falcon is being dry cleaned

there's nothing inherently wrong with it, just know that security will be watching your every move

going to the cinema alone is a bit suspicious and they consider you more of a potential threat than groups of family/friends

wow america sounds like such a great place

i see the new turtlenecks only policy has really been working out

Honestly, nobody cares if you go alone. I go to movies alone at least once a week and nobody bats an eye.
Just make sure you shower at home beforehand.

>tfw going to the movies with gf and have her pick one of the loners in the theater shower to invite over for a post-kino threesome

I actually mock people who go alone, I'm a dickbag but it's just so fucking weird

It's only as weird as being a virgin past the age of 25

No. It's a dark room where you are expected to keep quiet for 2 hours. It doesn't matter if you have friends with you or not. For those 2 hours you are focused on the film and aren't exactly having epic bants with your m8s.

Autistic m8

>paying for media

It is weird, yeah, but you can get over that. Just tip well and you should be fine.

>inb4 'i don't tip'
then don't go out if you can't afford it

It's autistic to think there's anything wrong with going to the movies alone.

If I want to see a flick that none of my friends are interested in then I'll go alone.

If you need someone to hold your hand every second of your life, then I feel sorry for you.

Americans are pathetic. You don't tip at the fucking movies.

>Tip
>at the cinema
Why?

It probably is perfectly fine, but the 2% chance of me running into someone I know will never let me even consider the idea of going alone.

I know it's an irrational fear and that nothing would happen, but I already know that I would be constantly scanning the whole theater looking who is around me not focusing on the movie at all, feel like an illegal immigrant in a foreign country

So waiting for the brrip torrent it is.

Hello there newfag tourists, how do you like your time spent here

so the poo crab doesn't sing at you

It's customary in my country.

Common courtesy, pride in the working man. #JustAmericanThings

the only time i would watch a movie with a friend/friends is when i know for sure it will be horrible but am still curious, like for example Suicide Squad or Warcraft.

The going price for a regular cinema ticket is AUD$20. There is no film worth that price for a single sitting. I was, lets say 'compelled' to go to the cinema last year for the new Star wars movie and admittedly I had high hopes. My first outing to the cinema in the best part of a decade.

I'm not sure if it was just the terrible film that caused the terrible experience but it only re-enforced my never-pay-to-watch-a-movie policy. There's really no need in this, the current year.

Don't you guys have ultra high salaries anyways?

>buy ticket
>cinema alone
are people this autistic?

I almost always go to theater alone and don't see the problem. And I prefer going solo, I was never judged by other for it or something, especially not the workers. All of you who have a problem going solo to the theater are insecure pussies.

Man up ffs.

Dude memes aside, it is autistic and weird to go alone.

to the theater*

Why? I see a movie with my friends here and there, but I prefer to go solo.

No. But worrying about it enough to make a thread on Sup Forums definitely is.

this

not always. I'm probably going to see shin gojira alone since none of my friends like godzilla.

Why? The last like 10 movies I've seen I probably would have enjoyed more if I went alone, girls I take on dates always talk during the movie, my grandparents laugh at weird times, friends I go with also always talk throughout it. Seeing a movie alone is super comfy because you can just cop some snacks and chill for like an hour and a half. Nothing weird about going alone really.

Yes for blockbusters, no for art films in small venues.

>Excuse me ma'am but we run a respectable and family friendly theater here and your choice of wardrobe is very poor in taste here. Please cover yourself and remove your feet from the seats or we will have to ask you to leave.

>he

I should try this, I live 8min walk from a movie theatre

It is a Cineplex with VIP cinemas (basically they will bring your order to your seat until the movie begins) and liquor licensed

My local multiplex has ticket machines like this so I don't have to interact with humons
Feels good m8

We need all cinemas to do this asap. I can't wait till this happens to pretty much every store in the next 10-15 years. Retail cucks are going to be fucked though since less jobs for them.

>give yourself schizophrenia
>get tulpa waifu
>get medical statement from doctor
>claim your waifu tulpa is with you when you go to the movies
>show statement to singles policy police
>get to watch movie alone

That's how I did it. Works every time.

thank you Robert. That smelly woman almost ruined my cinema experience

YOU TELL EM ROBERT

I've gone to the movies alone twice. Once was because we were selling our house and I had to go somewhere, so I saw a movie alone to kill time.
The second time was recently, where I saw an anime movie alone because I knew none of my friends would be interested.
Both times were fine, no one cared, obviously.

what movies?

Sit on her legs, obviously

Lincoln when selling the house, Kizumonogatari the second time.

I used to make fun of them too. But then i realised that is constantly miss out on movies because people arent always available to watch. I found out that tickets are half price before noon any day so i started going alone at that time to save money and i love it. No one sees movies that early so usually its just me and an old couple in the theater. Even big blockbusters that just released on friday i can show up saturday morning right when it starts at 1015 and have a great seat right in the back middle. No need to show up early, no need to wait in line, no need to be cramped. Its great i see at least 2 movies every week now. But usually more.

big boy like you would break her fragile legs if you sat on them

No. Every critic does.

>Not using the mandatory theatre showers

I took my 4 year old brother on XMEN Apocalypse.

I got weird looks from the cashier.

It's fine under certain circumstances, like you're alone on a business trip. But when you're at home, why wouldn't you ask some friends or a date to go with you?! To me that just seems weird and kind of sad

Well I go to movies alone all the time.

It's strange that we live in a society where the idea of going to the movies alone is somewhat of a taboo or 'odd'.
What exactly is so strange about it?
People assume they are lonely, social pariahs.
Why else wouldn't they be going with others?
The truth is everyone is going alone, even if they are accompanied.

>why wouldn't you ask some friends or a date to go with you?!

Why though? None of your friends got time?

Either that or they don't want to go to cinema. Once I took my sister and brother but otherwise I was alone all the time. It's not that bad though.

deep

but you do have a point, if people just started going alone then everyone would do it. Especially considering it can make you miss seeing a movie just because none of your acquaintances have anything in common with you.

I always single out the solo viewers. You guys worry me, I don't want you to shoot up me and my date.

>I was never judged by other for it or something
going alone is fine in my eyes, but don't think for a second you aren't being judged

Dumb rule considering when there's trouble in the cinema it's always coming from groups of people, never a single person.

>Dumb rule
about as dumb as mandatory showers

Mandatory showers? Where? I don't get the comparison.

No, my wife often goes to the cinema alone.

Is tipping a thing in AUS&NZ?

At the movie theatre? It's just as ubiquitous a rule as the no singles policy.

He's right tho, I can't tell you how much times was I hit on the head with crab legs during the previews, it's everytime some obese family with the king size buttered crab legs combo, they just throw it around like animals I can't stand it.

If a single person is eating them then most likely they will just enjoy them by themself like any other decent movie goer.

I've never heard of this no singles policy. I'm still not quite sure what you're exactly referring to when you talk of mandatory showers let alone know what you're trying to get at. Are you talking about showers being mandatory after PE in school?

>I've never heard of this no singles policy
one of the posts you replied to literally had the phrase "no singles policy" in it

Do you go to one of those no-falcon theatres? I can't imagine why else you'd be so unaccustomed to proper theatre etiquette

I was less thinking of that and more thinking about a group of teenagers who sit at the back, talk loudly then fool around when the credits start to roll. People on their own don't have back up to act foolhardy in front of so can't afford to be like that.
Searched this rule up and all I'm seeing is forums speculating whether it's real. It's fake as hell.

>friends
>date
lol

This thread doesn't count as hearing of a no singles policy. I'm talking about never having heard it irl. Are you fucking with me? This is a troll, right?

>be me
>walking around the nieghbourhood alone last evening a bit after dark, as I do
>see young couple sneakily exit the local primary school grounds all flustered and panting.
>usually keep a roll of loose coins in my hand to give my punches extra weight if I need to throw em
>guy spooked by my cheerful coin shuckling as we cross paths
>grabs his girl away and tells me to "Have a good night mate!"
>replied "it won't be as good as yours was!"

No user I'm not fucking with you, multiple people in the thread have said it. You yourself said it was a dumb rule as if you were already familiar with it.

>Americans eat crab legs in the cinema
Disgusting culture

No, I said it was a dumb rule from what I've heard said about it in this very thread. Also from what little I've found of it discussed in forums which debate whether it's a real rule or not. It's pretty clear it's not an actual rule.

>It's pretty clear it's not an actual rule.
then go give it a try right now user. I dare you.

I live in the UK and from the sound of it if this rule does exist it's a US one. But it doesn't.

You must be underage or from a third world country if you never heard about it.

You can get away with it by carrying an extra female jacket in your arm like you are waiting for her to get from the bathroom, just act normal about it and don't do it multiple times at the same cinema because the staff knows all the tricks believe me.

Next time read the fine print and be careful

Your mom doesn't count as a date.

user you're being trolled. Quite effectively as well.