Would princes and generals ever actually fight on the first lines?

Would princes and generals ever actually fight on the first lines?

Although they have the advantage of the best armor and swords and the best martial training and best horses, it'd be so easy to die

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_III_of_England
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_II_of_Great_Britain
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prima_donna
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Roman_emperors_killed_in_battle
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Godwinson
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Rand al'Thor did when he was captured by Aes Sedai and a battle broke out around him during his transport in a treasure chest.

Coming to TV in 2018

Depends what you mean by first lines.

If you mean like pic related yeah.

Some might participate in calvary charges on the flanks of enemies. There were warrior kings, but of course you're referring to later medieval period.

Yes, there would be high nobility and generals sometimes doing actual fighting, and depending on the culture, it'd be forced on them. They also would have a large retinue of highly skilled soldiers fighting around them who's sole purpose was to keep them alive and appear opposing.

only an idiot would actually fight with his troops, unless he had no other choice like in a Custer's Last Stand scenario

Now leading them into battle to inspire loyalty and boost morale without being on the front lines like Alexander the Great, that's different.

King Richard the Lionheart
King Harold
Hannibal
William the Conqueror
Napoleon (Sorta)
Benedict Arnold
Leonidas
Alexander the Great and his father
Odysseus, Menelaus, Agamemnon (Dubious depending on if you trust Homer or not)

it used to be very common until the end of the age of chivalry after gunpowder became prominent but even then it wasn't uncommon for particularly charismatic generals (Benedict Arnold & Napoleon) to actively participate in the battle alongside their men

Rand was also the fucking strongest channeler in the world surrounded by an army of similar channelers fighting normal Aiel.

Rand himself evaporates a massive force of Trollocs because he's basically a god

Athelstan, Edward I and some others. I forgot names.

Shut the fuck up

Short answer: yes. Richard III was the last English king to die in battle, in 1485. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_III_of_England

George II was the last British king to lead troops into battle, in 1743.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_II_of_Great_Britain

Alexander the Great did, too. It was quite a big morale booster to have your leader fighting alongside you. But you run the risk of losing the morale boost, should your leader die and his troops see his corpse.

Yi Sun Shin, the Korean admiral, used his last words to order his men to keep the war drums beating and not to tell his men of his death (he died in the middle of a battle against the Japanese, which Korea won).

There's a story that El Cid's corpse was tied to a horse to lead an army into battle, but it may not be true.

I don't know if that counts but Roman Emperor Heraclius 1-on-1ed a Persian Sassanid general and overpowered him durijgbthe last Roman-Persian war.

"Participation" is a pretty vague. Leading men on the field and fighting side-by-side with them are two very different things.

Ramesses II fought in the battle of kadesh in 1274 BC

did you mean to post this in /his/?

Edward I was in a crusade in the Holy land when a Muslim assassin sneaked into his room whilst he was asleep with his wife and stabbed him with a blade coated in poison. His wife (Elanor) sucked the poison out of his stab wound.

>his basileus doesn't lead the picked cavalry on the right flank

Absolutely barbar!

Weren't both Patton and Rommel known for being on, or very close to, the front lines?

Out of that list, Leonidas, Benedict Arnold, Alexander the Great, and Richard definitely were in the thick of it according to the histories written about them, taken with a grain of salt

All Hellenistic kings fought in the thick of it. Polybius who was a Greek considered the Macedonians to be the most warlike people even though he was incredibly biased towards the Romans. Pyrrhus led his men in battle, siege assaults and once during an ambush in Italy he was wounded and carried away when an italian attacker talked shit, so Pyrrhus told his bodyguards to fuck off before charging back into combat and cutting the offending italian in half causing the ambushers to route.

close to the cameras you mean. Those where the most pre-maddonnas of their respective side.

They'd usually have a hardcore group of elite bodyguard bros with them on the field

>tfw we still haven't gotten a movie and/or HBO series about Heraclius

The man banged his neice for christ's sake! It's ratings gold!

Historically they did, SOMETIMES, because in those days in order to command and lead a leader needed to literally be RIGHT THERE. The best they could do to command at a distance was to use drums and trumpets, which could broadcast formation commands to an army, or they could send messengers back and forth their commanders.

I don't think that's a fair criticism of Rommel.

Prima donna, user.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prima_donna

George Washington rallied his troops by riding his horse back in forth right in front of the army while the British were shooting at him

I love making posts on Sup Forums that belong on other boards because I'm too scared to post on the appropriate board because I can't defend my opinions there but this place is like a little backwater pond I can just shit in and my low-level expertise is enough to let me dominate any discussion

unless you are one of those "chosen one" guys who cant die, you'd be retarded if you didn't lead from the rear.

>pre-maddonnas
wa la

Napoleon did cavalry charges

crazy guy

Y'all fuckers are missing out on the biggest badass of them all

Napoleon commanded within the ranks and so did Alexander. Without comms it gives you an advantage. They say Alexander lead his Calvary charges and such but who knows for real.

>88
Nice

But anyway he was. He loved the attention. Was a good tactician but apparently couldn't grasp the concept of logistics or grand strategy.

Wait, why is "88" "nice"?

Are you referencing Heil Hitler??

You think that's "nice"????

Can you please explain why you said 88 was "nice"???????

That's a scene from "Dances with wolves" you liar.

Dreaded 88
8.8cm FlaK. Greatest ant-tank gun of the war. Intended for anti-aircraft role, Rommel used it in an anti-tank role with great success.

Kek.

Oh, okay.

Whew!

I thought you were a Nazi sympathizer or something hey wait

none of them did you fucking retards

Pretty sure a couple of Roman emperors died in battle

You wouldn't mind naming them, then.

Kek when were these generals ever in the vanguard?

Haha no no oh gosh...

Hitler admired the japs and muslims, I actually hate them too in addition to spics, slavs and jews.

>American education
It all depends on the King.
Him fighting on the front lines is very risky but it boosts morale.
Francois Ier for example was 1m95 (he was a big guy for the era) and was well known to go wreck his enemies himself.

>Although they have the advantage of the best armor and swords and the best martial training and best horses, it'd be so easy to die
The best armor of the 16th century meant you were basically wearing a metal body condom, even the joints were armored. If you could afford the shit you were basically impervious to anything short of a knife through the visor.

Well that or a really big pointed hammer, a crossbow bolt at an indirect angle, boiling tar being poured on you and roasting you alive...

They say Alexander's body was kinda fucked up from battle wounds. Like an old blue collar worker who's done manual labor his whole life.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Roman_emperors_killed_in_battle

Can we get this thread to bump limit despite not being about television or film?

Ideally over the course of two days. Strategies?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Godwinson

The guy who tried to stop the norman invasion of England died at the battle of hastings, likely killed by Duke William (a.k.a. William the Conquerer) and some buddies.

This kind of stuff happened quite a bit well into the pre-modern era. For example in the Battle of Waterloo, Wellington (the british commander) was holed up in a front line infantry square for hours and his command staff was getting shot to pieces until Prussian relief forced the French to retreat.

>shop the sword to be huge
>forget to take out the edge of the cloak which makes it clear its a shop
kek

Is that was Ice is supposed to look like or something?

it would be terrible for people to figure out that the image had been edited

Leonidas was on the front at the Battle of Thermopylae and died early on in the final confrontation while on the front lines

Benedict Arnold gained fame for his charge into an enemy position on horseback which turned the tide of the battle

Richard the Lionheart is famous primarily for his courage and ferocity in battle and many sources point to him being in the thick of combat

I think alexander was in the vanguard in a few battles but i cant say for sure

Wow you sure put OP in his place bro!
Oh hang on. He didn't make a delaration, he asked a question.
Fucking dummy lol

It's impossible for nu-males like you to understand the mind of the warrior, dying in glorious battle is something you should dream about.

viking kings sure as fuck did

some of the european princes have been to afghanistan, the scandinavian princes attend the military academies and take an active role in their military, but i doubt they are on the front lines, although those don't really exist anymore

the king of belgium allegedly "fought" alongside his army in ww1

You're forgetting that big ass battles were rare events. Most of the "fighting" in wars was waiting around during a siege for the first one to start starving. In the case of actual big battles, the nobility would most likely be on horseback, away from the meat grinder and had a close guard.

>Hitler admired the japs and muslims
to be fair, Hitler was way ahead of the curve in recognizing modern Christianity is a faith tailored for cuckoldry.

I am OP and I made both of those posts you fucking headcase.

Prussia immediately came to mind when reading this OP.

From Fredrick the Great's wiki article:
>Contrary to what his father had feared, Frederick proved himself very courageous in battle (with the exception of his first battlefield experience, Mollwitz). He frequently led his military forces personally and had six horses shot from under him during battle.

Also, I remember Von Blucher (I think) leading an insane cavalry charge against Napoleon at the Battle of Ligny and almost dying.

The Swedes were the most hardcore of them all during the 1600's, I tell you

It's what berzerk fags think it should look like. It was a huge claymore, not le meme too big too ugly to be a sword joke of a weapon.

He grasped logistics, if you ever read his memoirs it's mostly him bitching about how fucked they are in Africa in the long term and that the Italian navy is fucking useless

>*Clang*

Alex pretty much always commanded the cavalry either in the center or the right wing (Hephestion and Parmenio on left and right)

He was shot with a 6 foot bolt in egypt I believe, had his helm split in half by an axe, and was surrounded by indians when he was the first one over the walls in some siege

He was pretty much of the mindset that he couldn't expect his men to do anything that he wouldn't first do himself.

I hope they make it rain blood

how many Aiel can 200 Ashaman slice up in 5 mins or less?

He's Hugh Mungus

per word of Jordan, Rand shares similar maximum power level with Ishamael and Rahvin. However Rahvin mostly cares about having orgies with hot women and Ishamael meanwhile has ascended higher levels of lunacy, having deep existential problems with reality.
Rand with Choedan Kal however is strongest.

at Maradon he only had a basic angreal.

Its just funny that they left it, Im not saying Im revealing some conspiracy

Haha. You were right there with him, right Mr. Jesse Jackson?? Get the fuck outta here.

No, the way it is shown in the show is pretty accurate. It's a sword made for beheading, not for a combat. However it's not literally a buster sword.

You're right, nobody wrote down his life or studied his accomplishments for thousands of years after his death

He should have spent more time shitposting on athenian boyfucking forvms