So, is Uni actually worth it?

So, is Uni actually worth it?

My parents are making me go to uni in the UK (Leicester) but personally I think it's a waste of time and money.

yes

Yes, just keep in mind that at the end of the day, you'll need a job that pays decently so direct your studies to something productive like science, medicine, law, finance, etc.

I'm meant to be doing English Lit haha.

Then you're fucked.

So let's say I recently finished high school and have some money saved up from the job I had while in highschool. What should I do?

I don't like the idea of having to go to a college that makes me pay for them while at the same time tell me how evil white men are.

I also don't like the idea of doing classes that have nothing to do with my degree, simply because the college says I have to. What's the point of that?

It is worth it if you go there to learn. If you enjoy talking to very educated people, being confronted with interesting problem regularly and growing as a person, university can be a great opportunity for you.

If you go only for future material gain, it will feel tiresome and boring, like something to overcome.

So yeah, if you enjoy English Lit. go for it. Don't focus on making money. It is very hard to not make a living if you are a decently adjusted, non-retarded human being in a first world country anyway.

Tbf I've seen English Lit degree holders working in accountancy companies, professional services companies and law firms. I don't think it's as shit as people make it out to be, so long as you go to a good university.

Work a trade or major in something that's not bullshit.

As I said, if you're not retarded, you won't starve. A degree is mostly just there to show that you can study.

Study something you want to study. I made the "mistake" of studying physics when I am more interested in philosophy and literature and ended up being rather miserable during my bachelors. I put mistake in quotes, because I still learned a lot of interesting stuff, that will forever influence my understanding of the physical world.

>It is very hard to not make a living if you are a decently adjusted, non-retarded human being in a first world country anyway.

t. Baby Boomer

I am 24. Hardly a baby boomer. I am simply not socially stunted and not stupid.

its good if you're not a native speaker, can work in an embassy/multinational company or something if you get a minor in PR or some other shit like that

assuming you go back to china once you're done, of course

I'm white and truthfully I'm not even thinking that far ahead. I'm more of a 'here and now' kinda person.

Don't do it. Just don't. Your skills have little demand. Study English on the side, get a business or STEM degree. I suggest computer science or software engineering, those are not going away any time soon.

Then it really is a waste of time unless you go on to graduate studies and stay in academia, and you have a passion for the subject. Then again maybe in chingapore you could become a translator.

Don't Brits have free college?

You may find a job somewhere as you said, but you're going to be in positions where you're at the bottom rung. The only exception to this is law (assuming you get a law degree after the English degree), but as a lawyer I can tell you that history/poli sci/philosophy is better direct preparation for law school, while in the market you're best off getting a STEM degree or business degree before the law degree.

>It is very hard to not make a living if you are a decently adjusted, non-retarded human being in a first world country anyway.

loooooooooooooooooooooool

>We want someone with at least 3 years experience for a junior entry level position

Such an abundance of jerbs these days, m8.

Is it possible for you to go for a STEM degree? Maybe mix-match courses in a way that also gets you some language bachelor on the side or something?

You do realize companies describe their IDEAL candidates right? You can still apply and be accepted to those jobs.

I don't think they do anymore, but I don't even know if he's a Brit, he's posting from Hong Kong. If he's not a British citizen it would probably cost him even if it was free.

>I suggest computer science or software engineering

They sound like a sausage fests lol

I don't know Chinese, so the translator thing isn't feasible.

No, but it is much cheaper than the US

>They sound like a sausage fests lol
Is that a problem?

>They sound like a sausage fests lol

You could go for chemistry, I hear there's more chicks there if that's what matters to you.