Did TNG eventually overtake TOS as the nucleus or heart of the Star Trek franchise...

Did TNG eventually overtake TOS as the nucleus or heart of the Star Trek franchise? It seems that the subsequent spin-offs (particularly the finale of Enterprise) were more eager to write love-letters and fan service to do with TNG than the days of Kirk and Spock.

Yeah, kind of. I think it also replaced the general perception of Star Trek. Some of the more fantastical elements of the original show would probably be pretty baffling to modern audiences.

I hate how retards can't handle a show from the 60s so they skip straight to The Numale Generation.

TNG has pretty much been what people think of when they say "Star Trek" for a long time, but the new movies have done a lot to change that.

We'll see with the new show where Star Trek ends up.

Yes TNG out did TOS, but then DS9 dropped em right back until they changed the title song.

In what way exactly? I mean, most people I'd say are still more familiar with the original crew, and were before the new movies.

TNG was based off the old movies, which was what Star Trek became after the cartoon...

TNG had BBS and Internet fandom, 60s (shit) Trek only had real-world gatherings and snail mail mailing lists and zines. It's no contest. TNG had access to all the nerds.

This. TOS was more of a fun adventure while TNG is forced drama and lame jokes

When people think of Star Trek, they think of a show that's thoughtful and smart (and maybe a little boring). Not to say that TOS didn't have its moments where it was smart and thoughtful, but it was really more "fun times in space" with maybe some slapped on social messages.

Also true: TNG is an evolution from the original movies.

Yes, the clue is in the title. The Next Generation was the replacement, and it did it well.

If you ask people to describe the tone and plot of Star Trek as a whole you'll realize that they're describing TNG.

Well TNG is actually watchable

Wrong.

the only people who care about the original are old men or trying hard to get into epin nerd culture

Same goes for any pre-JJ Trek

For you

I've never seen Star Trek before today, besides maybe a few seconds on UPN 44 when it came on after The Simpsons.
I'm starting with the original series. Right now their ship is getting towed by Balok's smaller ship.
it's not bad, but the music is too loud while their dialogue is too low or muffled.
what was with that weird chess board in the beginning of the episode?

Plus it's a good show. Corny and dated, but undeniably good.

Wrong.

>it's not bad, but the music is too loud while their dialogue is too low or muffled.
I think that was a problem with the remasters

>what was with that weird chess board in the beginning of the episode?
3D chess, as popularised by Donald Trump

>started with tng/ds9/voy/enterprise/tng movies in 2009/2010
>re watch them all multiple times over the years
>watch all the TOS crew movies in 2013
>finally watched TOS over the past few months

Trek just can't seem to be fun most of the time. Only time I laughed out loud at trek is the scene where Nelix walked into Tuvok's quarters at the end of the shift and flopped down on the couch and starts matter-of-factely telling Tuvok about his day like it's their routine and the look on Tuvok's face when it's legit.

Is Star Trek superior to Dr. Who?

TNG > Voyager> ds9 >> TOS >>> Enterprise

Prove me wrong.

You're wrong.

>it's a Sisko starts a revolution episode

They're both terrible. Doctor Who at least sort of had the excuse of being a kids/family show until Moffat tried to turn it into high drama, but Star Trek has always been aimed at adults and it's fucking trash.

"yes"

>ywn pine this hard for (You)s

Why even live?

TOS special effects and production design are really dated and the fight scenes are cheesy.

What kills me is that the opening theme is too loud in every god damn series.

I'm being completely honest, though.

I like being able to enjoy it. It's not quite "so bad it's good" but I do like the bad fight scenes. Kirk waiting for his moment for his wide swings and weird throws

Like all star trek pre-JJ desu f.am