people who don't like prog rock
and people who pretend to

t. doesn't know music theory or play an instrument

Required listening:
>Gentle Giant - Octopus
>Yes - Fragile
>Genesis - Selling England By The Pound

Recommendations from myself:
>Area - 1978 Gli dei se ne vanno, gli arrabbiati restano!
>All of Gentle Giant except Giant for a Day, Missing Piece, and Interview (actually still listen to those, they're just much worse)
>Consider the Source - Are You Watching Closely
>Opeth - Heritage
>Jesus Christ Superstar

>Is a fucking retard

>Thinks it's about intelligence

I do occasionally feel this way, but I don't like that I do.

should I listen to Cardiacs?

Heard National Health's first record and it was pretty average. I intend to continue with their discography. What do you guys think of them?

>>Thinks it's about intelligence
i mean i didn't like prog or jazz until i started getting more educated in theory. i guess that's just anecdotal, but it makes sense to me.

think about how 99% of normies who know nothing about music only listen to hip hop. and hip-hop is the least musically technical genre of music there is

I don't like them either. Of Queues and Cures is an improvement but still pretty underwhelming. There are many more interesting Canterbury artists out there, though they're not as close to jazz as National Health is

I see. Thanks.

I always thought Gentle Giant's s/t was way better than Octopus

Can someone rank the best albums by moody blues? I just listened days of future passed and I want to hear more brilliant music like that

children's children's children is pretty good

I can't rank, but I love me some
>Nights in white satin
God damn, that shit is beautiful.

nothing's stopping you

I think the Power and the Glory is better than Octopus, personally.
The opener, Proclamation, is just amazing.

>best albums by moody blues?

I really like On the Threshhold of a Dream- great album

youtube.com/watch?v=8u1zH11yqFQ

I think this is an underrated (or forgotten) progressive metal album...great concept album...and absolutely God-Tier shredding from Nuno.

youtube.com/watch?v=MjZHeD4bC4Y

>neckbeard wank music that lacks the complexity of art music and lacks the energy of rock music
No thanks.

I've listened to a lot of prog but for some reason always ignored this album. At the fourth song now and absolutely loving it. Thanks for reminding me this album exists.

t. christgay

>JCS
This to be quite honest. Really underrated on this board, perhaps due to the whole religious settings

I wanted to buy Rush's 2112 on Amazon, but since they were add-on items, I had to buy Rush, Fly by Night, and Hemispheres as well.

Did I do gud?

>No thanks.

To what are you referring?

Friendly reminder that Gryphon and Camel are not worth listening to.

Yes

The Collapso is awesome though.

Their self titled reminds me a lot of In The Court to be honest.
The Boys in the Band from Octopus is their best track anyways.

good chart, but I feel like calling some of those "prog" is kinda stretching it

never heard that before. its pretty sick.

>Gryphon and Camel are not worth listening to
>But Opeth, Tool and Dream Theater are
Prog metal is not worth listening to.

If your definition of prog metal is Opeth, Tool, and Dream Theater, then you aren't worth talking to.

>no King Crimson
really nigga?

This one is better imo. Most of the essentials are on there, as well as some more obscure stuff like Hermann Szobel and Picchio dal Pozzo.

>the better charts leaves off Voivod

You can fuck right off.

What makes music progressive exactly? Is it just advanced story telling and music that fits the emotion of the story as opposed to being random sounds to dance to?

name single 80s prog album thats better than picr

wtf is "math rock"...muchless "extreme math rock"?

I know, but that's because I'm having troubles making a line that defines prog rock.

Well, they certainly are more worthy than Camel and Gryphon.

>If your definition of prog metal is Opeth, Tool, and Dream Theater, then you aren't worth talking to.
>posts Queensryche
oh, the irony

I'm the one who made that chart as well... The updated version is better.
Also, Szobel is in the updated chart too.

That's because it leaves off metal completely.

I don't know, math rock lost it's original meaning some time ago.

Discipline is not prog rock.

"Prog rock" is not the same as "progressive" rock.

>Discipline is not prog rock.

It needs more Tull

*blocks your path*

It's not. It's New Wave with bits of Experimental Rock and New Age.

You should expect nothing but mediocrity from an elitist tripfag.

what are the best prog albums of the decade? (besides pic related)

I really liked the first two songs, then the rest of it became one big migraine headache.

It's a prog rock chart, not a prog rock + prog metal chart. There's also no Opeth or Dream Theater for example.
Math Rock is using weird time signatures. Not really uncommon in 70s prog but didn't become a genre on its own until the 90s. Extreme math rock isn't a real genre, sounds pretty lame to me

Someone in this thread may be able to help, I'm looking for a band I heard on dubtrack FM that was Italian prog rock, I think from either the early 80's or late 70's that had heavy use of piano, and had a female singer that did operatic vocals. I know this is very vague, so my bad for that but it sounded so amazing.

What's your five most favorite and least favorite prog rock bands? Mine are:

Most favorite:
>Begnagrad
>Amoebic Ensemble
>Nazca
>Picchio dal Pozzo
>Höyry-kone

Least favorite:
>Genesis
>Yes
>The Mars Volta
>Rush
>Pink Floyd

I think 'extreme math rock' means math/noise/punk (maybe with metal influences, like mathcore) like Hella for example

>tfw found this vinyl at a record store for 6 bucks

Didn't know you made the charts. Thanks for that because I discovered like 10 good prog albums thanks to the chart
I'd just go with the RYM definition of prog btw. Calling David Bowie and This Heat prog is a bit of a stretch if you ask me.
Yeah it's definitely new wave and not prog

I'll have to second this.

I'm not wrong though.

My favorites (instead of bests), ordered from best to worst:
World's End Girlfriend - Seven Idiots (2010)
Gorillaz - DoYaThing (2012)
Battles - Gloss Drop (2011)
The Bulletproof Tiger - You Wanna Kiss About It? (2011)
Rhùn - Fanfare du chaos (2013)
Zs - New Slaves (2010)
Wakusei Abnormal - 何でも無い凶器 (2013)
Closure in Moscow - Pink Lemonade (2014)
Perhaps - Volume One (2012)
Normal Love - Survival Tricks (2012)

>Math Rock is using weird time signatures.
Except that's wrong.

Great taste if true.

It meant brutal prog before I was aware of the term brutal prog.

You can get Discipline in Vinyl for like a single dollar lol

>Calling David Bowie and This Heat prog is a bit of a stretch if you ask me.
Yet calling Can and Neu isn't? Those two are not that far away from those other two if you think about it. I mean, This Heat is just a harsher version of Neu.

What's your opinion on this cool prog song
youtube.com/watch?v=bBMOHtCtq3k

I'm digging this

Art is cool too

Ia Dredg considered prog by you oh mighty sages of music?
Portugal the Man?
Minus the Bear?

I don't know, they all suck, so...

Eh, it's okay. Not prog though.

>Not prog
ok

Flute solos are not prog, user.

Any more post-hardcore influenced prog? Not necessarily leaning into things like mathcore (biggest example I can think of is The Fall Of Troy's Doppelganger off the top of my head), definitely something that's very much in the prog with heavy post-hardcore influences side of things. Kinda like The Mars Volta but not, if that makes any sense.

I don't think intellectualization of music can or should affect one's ability to appreciate music.

I like hip-hop, too.

Not really a prog record.

This

I simply lose interest every time in Octopus when Knots starts playing. The only song I actually like from that album is Raconteur, Troubadour.

Meanwhile, The Power and The Glory sounds amazing with the exception of Cogs in Cogs

>I don't think intellectualization of music can or should affect one's ability to appreciate music.
but how can you appreciate complexity and technicality when you have no idea what they're doing? to most people prog rock just sounds like a mess, but to people who understand theory, they can see the precise order in it.

i'm not saying everyone has to know theory to appreciate complex music, but i definitely believe that it helps

I should add to Require Listening:
>Rush - 2112
>Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick
>Camel - Mirage

To get a better image of what prog is really about.

Sadly, meh. I don't know what's wrong with me.

Absolutely patrician taste, my friend.

I should listen to all those albums you listed so that I can understand better why you're so dumb. Actually, Genesis, Yes, and Rush are either hit/miss with their albums or generally not very proggy.

Listen, I fucking love all of Gentle Giant. Asking my favorite album is an insane request. I said Octopus was required listening because it's great, a great example of prog, and has many of Gentle Giant's most popular songs. Notice that I personally recommend that one listen to ALL of their albums as well.

Absolutely fucking incredible work of art, that. The writing, the story, the virtuosity of the singers. Incredible.

Camel is fucking amazing. Red Queen to Gryphon Three has actually grown on me tremendously.

>art music
This is pretty pretentious, dude. Honestly, making this big generalizations about and genre other than maybe some rap or country invalidates your opinions on music. It's honestly extremely shortsighted, close-minded, and indicates tastes that are poor because they are more influenced by peoples' perception of you than by the music itself.

I feel weird. I love that you love Gentle Giant but am repulsed by the idea that somebody's least favorite song off Octopus could be Knots.

I really couldn't give less of a fuck about music theory, but hell yeah I love prog rock.

seei didn't mean to imply you have to know theory to like prog. i just meant that the people who hate prog should learn theory before they try to shit on it.

My favourite part of prog is how packed the music is, i.e. you get more than just guitar bass and drums. The inclusion of horns and orchestras really adds depth. That and it sounds fantastic in vinyl.

Is this the most underrated prog rock album of the 70s?

>This is pretty pretentious, dude. Honestly, making this big generalizations about and genre other than maybe some rap or country invalidates your opinions on music. It's honestly extremely shortsighted, close-minded, and indicates tastes that are poor because they are more influenced by peoples' perception of you than by the music itself

>Rush - 2112
>Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick
>Camel - Mirage
>To get a better image of what prog is really about.
Holy shit pleb.

>Tull
>Absolutely patrician taste, my friend.
wtf is wrong with you?

>Camel is fucking amazing.
They are not, they are generic prog rock at best.

Not in the slightest, but I like it.

Do you have a chart focused on the Canterbury scene?

Nope, there is no need for it.

You make it sound like prog is just music for people who are too stupid for classical

Not an argument

Not him but I got this. My favorite Canterbury albums, with the most essential albums on the top row, one album per artist. I never liked bands like Egg, Khan, Picchio dal Pazzo and Keith Tippet, but they're still worth a listen

i'm the guy you were originally responding to. don't listen to that other guy. he's just getting off on condescension

>no Legend by Henry Cow
baka

I just went with the albums RYM has a Canterbury primary on. But yeah, Henry Cow is an essential listen too

Favorite Yes Album?
(pic not related- it's close to the edge for me t b h)

>implying Unrest isn't their best
baka

The Northettes, best Canterbury singers. Wish there was more, Amanda on Tenemos Roads sounds fantastic.

>implying Unrest is canterbury
>implying In Praise of Learning is not their best
baka baka

>buying Hemispheres without A Farewell to Kings
You're missing out.

my man

I fucking love Seven Idiots from the bottom of my heart. Do you know any albums at least kinda similar to it? Weg's other stuff is great, but different from SI

Not really, it's a pretty unique album.
Even then, some albums that have some similarities are
IOSYS - Whoa! Hyper Denpa-chan
Sheena Ringo - Kalk Samen Kuri no Hana
Todd Rungren - A Wizard, A True Star
Kou Machida - Wild and Crazy Guys

>gryphon and camel are not worth listening to
Fuck you

youtube.com/watch?v=4r3YlEft368

This guy's voice makes me feel things.

They are not worth listening to, but neither are Tool and Dream Theater.

Enjoy listening to generic garbage

tfw moved to portland so I finally get to see rishloo live

I definitely believe that it does not help. Theory is a good way of describing music, but it's wholly unrelated to the experience of music. Music doesn't have to be explained for it to evoke musical satisfaction. Being impressed isn't the same as being musically satisfied, and all knowledge of theory can do for you is help you become impressed.

Probably other way around. Prog has no limitations on instrumentation. Classical certainly does.

How much is it going to suck?

>Probably other way around

How so? Prog is definitely more simplistic, less subtle and easier to comprehend.

>Classical certainly does.

That's not true at all.

Funeral - Bastard - Death of Music is god tier trio

>prog thread with over 10 posts
>oh nice
>with Avant-Math God
>mfw

youtube.com/watch?v=uPGiqLvcOEk

I don't know why this record got such a "meh" reception from Driver's base, the way he works with timbre and composition here just massages the shit out of your brain.

I'm jealous, man. Not of the Portland part, but seeing those guy play would give me a chub. I'd like for them to tour, but not if it puts strain on making more material.

Any other modern prog bands you guys are especially proud of?

Best modern prog bands

1 Porcupine Tree
2 Oceansize
3 Leprous
4 Riverside
5 The Mars Volta
6 Gazpacho
7 Tool
8 Big Big Train
9 Sylvan
10 Spock's Beard

>Porcupine Tree