Rateyourmusic 5/5's

post your personal 5/5's as listed on your rateyourmusic account and rate and rec and discuss each other's favorites

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/collection/dknight/r5.0
rateyourmusic.com/artist/caramell
youtube.com/watch?v=vXcXq17Jn_Y
rateyourmusic.com/collection/decemberwyatt/r5.0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>rateyourmusic account

I can't get along with Death Grips. It's so disgusting...

I don't see the humor in this.

Yeah I guess that's fair, I found them quite accessible though.

yeah run away with me is probably her best song

>I don't see the humor in this.
Name one (1) reason why having a RYM account isn't useless

run away with me and that song she did with danny l harle are 2 of the best pop songs of the decade for sure, glad to see some fleetwood mac love here too

isn't you posting in this thread to tell me that it's useless just as pointless. I use RYM for a multitude of reasons, threads like these are just one of the reasons.

I just listened to Acabou Chorare like a week ago and it's so fucking good, had no idea what I was getting myself into but I ended up loving it.

Plastic Surgery>Fresh Fruit any day my mans

yeah

+At The Drive-In, Fishmans
-LCD Soundsystem, Daft Punk
+Can, Boredoms, Dead Kennedys, Talking Heads, Wire
-Beastie Boys, Sonic Youth, They Might Be Giants
all pretty good desu

Any reason Quebec is your favorite Ween album? Also I should really check out Clube da Esquina

but user, I can't get 400 albums to fit in one image

I just like the songs there better than their other albums I guess
Pure Guava is a very close second though

most consistent and moving songs

this was posted on a facebook group

also definitely check out Clube Da Esquina if you like folk, it's absolutely fantastic

link it, then

excuse my mobile posting

listen to more sonic youth

the millennium - begin
brother

>-beastie boys
wew

Paul's Boutique is gooder than a bitch

I accidentally deleted all of my 5-star albums today while endeavoring to remove their tags. I'll probably admit Ys into this list after a few more listens.

Do you like Swans by any chance?

>popular music
>perfect
Damn, wtf is wrong with you people? You guys really to expand yourselves in the realm of music.

I am not degenerate enough to have a RYM account, but these would be my 5/5s if I had one. Popular music probs wouldn't even go above a 2.5/5.

Interesting choice of Godspeed album. Excited for their new record.

rateyourmusic.com/collection/dknight/r5.0

thats an xd

hue brothers unite against bolsonaro

>rating music based on anything other than personal preference
this is some toxic elitism right here

>classicalpleb believes that music is meaningful as an aesthetic pursuit
Wew, every time. I'll give you credit for T&I; but beyond that, your list consists of nothing but drivel. Folk and Opera are the premiers forms through which artistry can be expressed through music. As a rule, purely instrumental music is devoid of artistic merit for the most part; it is the kindred spirit of television, though certainly a bit more high brow--although, of course, the best television is far more profound than any non-operatic classical music.

All 0/10

Baby's first classical

>determining artisticness of music through non-musical qualities instead of musical ones
Disgusting. You're the most fake kind of music fan.
That's because one shouldn't be so selfish as to think they matter more than what's everlasting.
>thinks how "entry level" something is matters over the actual qualities of the work
Hahahahahahah. Nice exemplification of RYM users/people that only do popular music since only they have such shallow ways to determine anything at all.

How else does one circle jerk with a bunch of autists about "muh taste?"

>babby can't handle the truth
Your """"""art"""""" is worthless.

Art is worthless

Only brainlets need everything spelled out for them in words as they are unable to transcend.

Instrumental music is nothing more than poetry, written in a language containing words that don't actually allude to any higher ideas. You're not constructing anything unique; you're assembling a sequence of emotions to be spoon-fed to the audience. Music is fundamentally anti-intellectual and inartistic. The only method by which it gains artistic merit is through the incorporation of a true language. It is precisely this transcendence of language that removes music from the realm of meaningful human production. Music listeners are drug addicts; they're begging to be manipulated.

I like Nick Drakes earlier albums but Pink Moon is also great.

All "art" is "manipulation". "Transmission" of "higher" "ideas" is not the "primary" "purpose" of "art", it is the "purpose" of "philosophy".

4/10
5.2/10
4/10
6/10
talking....
ohhh

Why did you post the same chart 7 times

>Klaus Shulze
>Tangerine Dream
>Global Communication

Very impressive, I'm pretty sure I've stumbled on your account before and looked through your 5s randomly a couple times.

>City of Caterpillar

MY BOY

Nope, music is far more abstract than just muh emotions, and the fact that you tried to tie it down to your inferior human concepts just shows how pathetic your mind is plus how far above human concepts music is. Lmao what a brainlet response from you. Muh emotion, that's like some shit kids with downs say as they ask for Justin beiber for their Make A Wish.

shit taste desu

>not choosing Unknown Pleasures over Closer

I like UP but Closer have those gloomy synths that I love ;_;

I dont have alot of 5s

The transmission of higher ideas--those being human abstractions or other contrivances from which we may derive emotion, as opposed to base reconstructions thereof--is the primary purpose of art. Instrumental music subjects the listener to decontextualized emotion, from which the listener may not derive anything valuable; they may only react to the feeling to which they are exposed, be that validation, disgust, joy, et cetera. No art besides music subjugates its observers. Philosophy is the pursuit of truth. Language is the tool utilized in this pursuit, and in the transmission of said truths from one to another. Emotion taken without purpose is not valuable or artistic; but the application of moral judgment to a human construct, the use of emotions and the act of responding to these--this is the appreciation of art. It stands to reason that by analyzing the manner through which art is appreciated, we may then determine what are is and is not. "Art", then, that removes this aspect of appreciation, and instead chooses merely to expose the observer to a response, an emotion--this is not art.

what's the name of the first one

rateyourmusic.com/artist/caramell

2008 single

But it's not about emotion. I already said it. You're too much of a brainlet if you need to attach music to physical, human concepts when it's far above that.

>The transmission of higher ideas--those being human abstractions or other contrivances from which we may derive emotion, as opposed to base reconstructions thereof--is the primary purpose of art.

Only a turbopleb would say something like this.

Music derives its power from tonal association. It is the most direct and simple art form that has thus far been created.
You don't know what art is.
You're a genuine brainlet. It's truly hilarious to see someone assert that music is beyond human concepts when lesser animals have displayed appreciation for melody and rhythm, as well as the capacity to differentiate and associate various tones. What makes something art is not simply the presence of emotion, but--as I said--the higher degree of deliberation that characterizes the process of its creation, and the appreciative process wherein we apply emotions to render a judgment upon said constructions. Music, as I said in a previous post, is the poetic expression of a more primitive form of language. It is only through the incorporation of elements of a greater language that music may become art--or, if you're feeling lenient, the only method through which music, as a lower artistic discipline, may become "good art".

you might now it as Caramelldansen
youtube.com/watch?v=vXcXq17Jn_Y

>It's truly hilarious to see someone assert that music is beyond human concepts when lesser animals have displayed appreciation for melody and rhythm, as well as the capacity to differentiate and associate various tones.
That doesn't mean it's not above human/general living thing concepts like muh emotion and muh creation process. It doesn't need to limit itself the way language does, either. I really think music is too abstract for a brainlet like you. Stick to easy to understand, more limited forms of art like literature and film.

mixture of good and bad
decent
i
some overrated bullshit but some great stuff
you're a strange and complex man
word
i too am of the persuasion that pop music can be high art
keep doing your thing man
appreciates the importance of both catharsis and bodily expression
man who isn't afraid to breathe
Rundo
favorite song on abba gold?
wants the world to burn in a dark hole, marinated with only the bleakest and blackest of emotions
pothead

>i
nice

st

Daily reminder that Tolstoy was a pleb who didn't get the Bard

Finally, some good and honest taste. Favorite Beethoven sonata?

>muh creation process
>muh emotion
This is embarrassing. You have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about, and you've got a serious misconception firmly entrenched within yourself. Hopefully you're intelligent enough to quickly dispel it. I retract the insult in my previous post; you need all of the self-esteem that you can muster. Instrumental music is tightly constrained, and it's not in any sense abstract. It is the direct artistic medium, the medium for which thought is not a necessary component of non-superficial appreciation; even at the highest level of musical composition, with thought, you may only appreciate the physical, banal aspect of the "art"; apropos of artistic value, you will take from the piece no more than would an uneducated dilettante, because there is nothing abstract within that medium; the sum of the parts is the whole. The use of language is abstraction. In combining these otherwise meaningless noises, you create meaning; and in judging this abstraction, this unique concept that has been constructed by poet or by the author, the observer may derive a number of poetic and moral notions of their own. The difference between musical and poetic composition lies within the fact that words allude to ideas, and can be used to construct something meaningful. Musical sounds eschew meaning altogether. The process through which one appreciates music yields no valuable moral notions, only an understanding of the composition of the piece--which does not refer to anything, and thus is self-evidently meaningless.

>you may only appreciate the physical
>music is physical
>still sticking to human concepts of "meaning" and "morality"
Hahahahahah you're such a joke. Like I said, stick to more easily graspable art. Music goes way too far above your head.

what do you think of my new shoes

>cLOUDDEAD
>over 1 star
W H I T E
H
I
T
E

You do a fuckton of drugs, probably. Good taste. Forever Changes is GOAT.
Man, I need to listen to Texas-Jerusalem Crossroads and ESPECIALLY Deathconsciousness. Great taste though.

Though I would fain depart, yet I mayest encounter one better than ye, with whom I wouldst converseth. Ye, I say, art beyond redemption; for ye possesseth not mine IQ; and possesseth not ye an IQ with which ye mightest grasp the essence of mine speech

avatarposting is against the rules

sal is that you
did you finally buy those shoes you wanted

bump

Please convince me to listen to fishmans. I've had it recommended to me several times before.

I have no 5's. Perfect albums don't exist.

I got some new records

fuck hopefully this looks better

I'm pretty sure everyone understands that no perfect album can realistically exist, the 5s they give are like symbolically "perfect".

How else do you easily keep track of the music you've listened to while also easily finding more? It's not as good as last.fm used to be but that died a long time ago and the world moved on.

It's better than last fm ever was

I discovered Tusk last week while watching The Americans. I love it.

For recs, last.fm was way more useful, the recs from rym don't even take into account what you listen to...also, last.fm did a much better job at reflecting what you listen to most

RYM can't reflect things like, hey, "I'm listening to Mr. Saxobeat on repeat for two hours but it's her only song I know so I've never rated an album"

Like last.fm reflected all the music you listen to and RYM just reflects the albums (which doesn't even give an accurate view since you can hate an album but really love one song on it)

I use rym to catalogue the albums I've listened to, and to discover new music using the charts function and browsing other users lists. I've found more great albums using rym than I ever did using last.fm.

Oh, I'm not saying it hasn't been useful and found me interesting albums but it's much less useful at its core, you have to work to find the good stuff, last.fm would just naturally direct you to it...with last.fm I would go through all 6+ pages of my recs regularly and check out the artists and often found ones I liked that way

With RYM, I have to do the work, I have to pick a year or a country or a genre in the charts (which is less fun than last.fm right off the bat because it means I have to go into it with an agenda rather than just be thrown things I might like)...and then I have to wade through tons of shit that's all the same to find the good stuff on the later pages

And of course, it's limited to formats that get rated, last.fm had a much bigger database because all it requires is someone to listen to something, RYM requires them to rate it

Anyone can listen to something but most people who just come rate something aren't going to make ratings of any value, they'll just hit the Rolling Stone Top 50 and give them all 4.5's and 5's

Some of the biggest global artists of all time will have like 50 ratings combined on RYM but 100,000+ listeners on last.fm, not every great artist releases albums either so on last.fm they got represented properly but not on RYM

Last.fm got me into stuff like Harry Partch, The Mekons or Scratch Acid

RYM got me into stuff like אהוד בנאי, Ayкцыoн or 友川かずき (but the key here is that it doesn't give you then a place to go from there, whereas if I could use them in tandem as I used to, I would then get useful last.fm recs about artists similar to these, RYM treats music as a novelty with all the obscure gems being the only thing that gets lots of ratings but everything else similar to it being ignored so that there is no perspective)

Last.fm is nice for recs for albums that are similar to bands that I already like-- I've gotten so many nice Stoner/Doom Metal recommendations from Last.fm that I would have never found on RYM by myself (since a lot of the bands have like

Lay All Your Love On Me

>tfw all my last.fm recs are artists I know :(

Last.fm recs suck now, that's why I stopped using the site, it used to be like 100+ artists at any one time and it'd update any time you listened to a new artist or whatever...but when it updated and I left the site, it was because the recs were all just totally random and most of it was stuff you already heard or just songs and albums from artists you heard instead of new artists

I probably should use the wishlist but I'm afraid to because I know it wouldn't take for it to be like twice as big as the albums I have rated (which is like 4500) and that would just become overwhelming

I like to feel like I'm free (to a point, I do have a semi-ordered queue I keep track of) to just listen to any rec I get if it seems interesting and fits my current mood

Last.fm was perfect for noticing my listening trends that even I wasn't aware of to make sure I always had a varied set of recs for any genre I might be in the mood for exploring at the time

I think the lp version of F#A# pales in comparison to the longer CD version.

>I listen to albums once

are you saying it because of the dates? I've been listening to those albums for years, I just rate them when I'm in the mood

The Beatles - The White Album - 68
Pink Floyd - The Wall - 79
Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation - 88
Ruins - Hyderomastgroningem - 95

How many times can you have listened to Dopesmoker in its entirety?

what did you mean by this

:^)

rateyourmusic.com/collection/decemberwyatt/r5.0

I just thought the release years seemed relevant. Curve and all. An Rym is nothing without a good curve.

pretty good