/classical/

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart edition

>General Folder #1. Renaissance up to 20th century/modern classical. Also contains a folder of live recordings/recitals by some outstanding performers.
mega.co.nz/#F!mMYGhBgY!Ee_a6DJvLJRGej-9GBqi0A
>General Folder #2. Mostly Romantic up to 20th century/modern, but also includes recordings of music by Bach, Mozart and others
mega.co.nz/#F!lIh3GRpY!piUs-QdhZACFt2hGtX39Rw
>General Folder #3. Mostly 20th century/modern with other assorted bits and pieces
mega.co.nz/#F!Y8pXlJ7L!RzSeyGemu6QdvYzlfKs67w
>General Folder #4. Renaissance up to early/mid-20th century. Also contains a folder of Scarlatti sonate and another live recording/recital folder.
mega.co.nz/#F!kMpkFSzL!diCUavpSn9B-pr-MfKnKdA
>General Folder #5. Renaissance up to late 19th century
mega.co.nz/#F!ekBFiCLD!spgz8Ij5G0SRH2JjXpnjLg
>General Folder #6. Very eclectic mix
mega.co.nz/#F!O8pj1ZiL!mAfQOneAAMlDlrgkqvzfEg
>General Folder #7. Too lazy to write up a description for this, but it has a little of everything
mega.nz/#F!pWR0zABY!xCwF1rEfXiyEy5HuhTDP0Q
>General Folder #8. The user who made this loves the yellow piss of DG on his face. Also there's some other stuff in here.
mega.nz/#F!DlRSjQaS!SzxR-CUyK4AYPknI1LYgdg
>Renaissance Folder #1. Mass settings
mega.co.nz/#F!ygImCRjS!1C9L77tCcZGQRF6UVXa-dA
>Renaissance Folder #2. Motets and madrigals (plus Leiden choirbooks)
mega.co.nz/#F!il5yBShJ!WPT0v8GwCAFdOaTYOLDA1g
>Debussy. There is an accompanying chart, available on request.
mega.co.nz/#F!DdJWUBBK!BeGdGaiAqdLy9SBZjCHjCw
>Opera Folder. Contains recorded video productions of about 10 well-known operas, with a bias towards late Romantic
mega.co.nz/#F!4EVlnJrB!PRjPFC0vB2UT1vrBHAlHlw
>Random assortment of books on music theory and composition, music history etc.
mega.nz/#F!HsAVXT5C!AoFKwCXr4PJnrNg5KzDJjw

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_zMv6Y5wvS8
youtube.com/watch?v=JcqrGLvs95M&list=PLD30417EED8560721
youtube.com/watch?v=vhiw01FLwN8&list=PLehchsbPp5Z40j2peUaLhR3sF14KO0ula&index=15
youtube.com/watch?v=Y7JVmrNwdh0
youtube.com/watch?v=a36xdMffuCE
youtube.com/watch?v=6QHYPh0h1Bs
youtube.com/watch?v=g0O04YbIWHg
youtube.com/watch?v=ESmpugzQF0I
youtube.com/watch?v=Uka8ykFDw2U
youtube.com/watch?v=-HujjNQPv2U
youtube.com/watch?v=RJNNJTRD1GQ
youtube.com/watch?v=VMw0EjLFPXw
youtube.com/watch?v=Dj7DPGEyAa0
youtube.com/watch?v=wzaQixVGoQg
youtube.com/watch?v=4aGULSe364E
youtube.com/watch?v=FZc5fvA3JQQ
youtube.com/watch?v=O2gDFJWhXp8
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedrich_Erhard_Niedt
youtube.com/watch?v=qtiHVx7UVak
youtube.com/watch?v=7Y2YCz5ZQLM
youtube.com/watch?v=ioK1mrZcqf8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

youtube.com/watch?v=_zMv6Y5wvS8

plooomysunday is kill

What do I do if I want to listen to Wagner but I don't care for opera/music drama autism?

Who is the Harold Bloom as Shakespeare critic to Mozart?

Listen to some of his overtures.

Listen to instrumental versions. Often they just replace the vocal line with an instrument and it sounds just as good.

Is there a good conductor that recorded a lot of that kind of stuff?

How do I understand counterpoint?

>Prelude to Tristan und Isolde + Liebestod
>Flying Dutchman overture
>Procession to the Cathedral from Lohengrin
>Siegfried Idyll
>Ride of the Valkyries
>other memes from The Ring Cycle that others can fill you in on

Szell has Wagner Without Words

Just let it wash over you senpai. Been there. We're not all built to be musical.

Watch this guy:
youtube.com/watch?v=JcqrGLvs95M&list=PLD30417EED8560721

Or read Fux's Gradus ad parnassum

what moment did you realize Bach wrote more bangers than any club DJ

youtube.com/watch?v=vhiw01FLwN8&list=PLehchsbPp5Z40j2peUaLhR3sF14KO0ula&index=15

>that corrente in Bach's 6th keyboard partita

any other whistleable tone rows?

youtube.com/watch?v=Y7JVmrNwdh0

fucking street signs!

Was Joseph Keilberth a good conductor?

the first time I heard this
youtube.com/watch?v=a36xdMffuCE

youtube.com/watch?v=6QHYPh0h1Bs

again?

yeah, he was good. he has some Telefunken/Bruckner recordings you might enjoy.

can't really blame him for getting mixed results with Bayreuth, though. that orchestra was a fucking mess for just about everyone throughout the 50s-60s.

*makes shostakovich good*

Who put the ITAOTS 33 1/3 in the music theory folder?

>books on music theory and composition
which book is best for starting?

Read The Complete Musician by Laitz

Thoughts on Kurt Weill? Favorite pieces?

As much as I like shostakovich your not wrong tho

The Seven Deadly Sins, The Threepenny Opera, The Silver Lake

youtube.com/watch?v=g0O04YbIWHg
youtube.com/watch?v=ESmpugzQF0I
youtube.com/watch?v=Uka8ykFDw2U
youtube.com/watch?v=-HujjNQPv2U
youtube.com/watch?v=RJNNJTRD1GQ
youtube.com/watch?v=VMw0EjLFPXw

>Complete Piano Music

Find a flaw

uh, yeah. complete piano music. is there a problem with that? nice murakami pic btw.

>awkwardly glissandos into desired key

No, just being pretentious and shitposting

youtube.com/watch?v=Dj7DPGEyAa0

user he was 7 whe he composed this, also you aren't showing the next page of this polonaisew it has pretty good ideas for a 7yo boy

wait really? Now I feel bad

>destroys most romantic conventions in a single piece

youtube.com/watch?v=wzaQixVGoQg

I unironically like this piece. Its an interesting novelty. Certainly humorous but then again so is Milhaud or Mahler at times and at others Shostakovich.

tt

Thank you immunity dog

How to into classical? I've always enjoyed it and found it intriguing but there's so much. I have no idea where to start.

I need more upbeat, folky stuff like this.

youtube.com/watch?v=4aGULSe364E

youtube.com/watch?v=FZc5fvA3JQQ

peer gynt suite

youtube.com/watch?v=O2gDFJWhXp8

what recordings do you prefer?

Tilson Thomas for 7 Deadly Sins, Ensemble Modern for Threepenny, Stenz for Silver Lake

the distinction between harmony and counterpoint is a pedagogical convention not supported by actual musical practice.
t. thomas benjamin

baroque treatise writers who were respected by JS Bach were of the same opinion
>Regarding counterpoint, Niedt calls it the musical equivalent of "spelling," and suggests that counterpoint arises from the realization of figured bass. Niedt insists that "mere counterpoint contains no beauty" and that one can "discern no complete meaning or context" from it. As opposed to pedagogues who developed rules for composing counterpoint on its own terms (such as Johann Fux), Niedt attempts instead to extend his figured bass instruction to encompass the subject of counterpoint.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedrich_Erhard_Niedt

What are the best recordings of Bartok's string quartets?

juilliard's are my favorite, both mono and stereo (the '63 set)

lots of good sets, though. you don't really have to be too picky.

>*makes shostakovich a cuck*
Fix'd

>I unironically like this piece

Thanks you very much immunity dog

whats the matter brah, the intent is similar to 3rd movement in beethoven's 6th
>Merry gathering of country folk

youtube.com/watch?v=qtiHVx7UVak
Gotta video of me playing some mozart on clasical guitar.

can anyone recommend me some good violin pieces?

>comparing Mozart's musical joke to beethoven third movement of his sixth symphony
DUDE

wow, symphony, srs bsns

the 3rd movement of #6 is another musical joke with richer insturmentation

Sup Forums should stop fetishizing symphonies, it isn't some magic nonplusultra genre hovering above everything else.
this also gives us final solution to bruckner- and mahlerposting.

>the distinction between harmony and counterpoint is a pedagogical convention not supported by actual musical practice.

why the fuck would benjamin say something so fucking stupid like holy shit

the idea that counterpoint is moot due to the harmonic content is itself a dated view. it is impossible to say that counterpoint does NOT influence how the music sounds i.e. counterpoint can be and IS experienced at all times. now we call it voice leading, but if harmonic content was paramount, and made counterpoint needless, the concepts explored by debussy and other romantics would have no meaning or currency, which as we all know is false.

Viola is just a retarde violin

Anything by Camille Saint Saens

>the idea that counterpoint is moot
T.B. didnt mean that. the full quote from introduction to first edition of his tonal counterpoint textbook:
>in most polyphonic music one can say only that there are both vertical and horizontal controls present, as well as many other kinds of controlling elements.

[Triggered]

Viola is the lamest member of the string family. Who actually wants to listen to viola concertos?

>all those whole notes, half notes on beat 1 and 3, bars full of quater and eighth notes, no accidentals.
Why was Mozart such a pleb?

Is Mahler just a meme or is he actually good?

He's really really fucking good

haha you're so funny Xd.

why

Master orchestrator, great melodic and polyphonic writing. Great form, gesture, range of emotions and dynamics. Pretty much everything that makes a composer great

>great
why
>everything that makes a composer great
for example?
how come he only wrote symphonies?

But user, symphonies are the best musical structure

>why
Why is anything great? because a large amount of people who are educated on the subject say it is.
>how come he only wrote symphonies?
he didn't

compared to the great composers he did

>because a large amount of people who are educated on the subject say it is

pfffhahahahahahaha

god this place sucks

>Why is anything great? because a large amount of people who are educated on the subject say it is.
mahlerfags in a nutshell

The original recordings with Lotte Lenya (she's my favorite operatic singer). Happy End is pretty good as well. The film versions of Dreigroschenoper are pretty good.

youtube.com/watch?v=7Y2YCz5ZQLM

Do you really want me to sit down and show you what makes great melodic, harmonic and polyphonic writing great? what makes great use of form great? what makes great gestures great?
Just trust us if you don't know how to work these things out yourself by looking at the score and listening to the music.

The same reasoning is used to show any composer is great - because people who know what they're talking about say they are. They might be kind enough to explain in detail why, but often they will simply say "Bach is great - you should study his scores" "Mozart is great" and expect you to concur without having to explain what makes a good melody good.

nobody asked you to develop every single issue that you brought up yourself. just explain and illustrate a single line of reasoning.

Yeah but you basically said "I like him because smart people told me to" which is very disingenuous.

also
>Just trust us if you don't know how to work these things out yourself by looking at the score and listening to the music.

where did you get that automatic technical highground? just talk to equals here until proven otherwise.

>i like mahler because i'm more educated than you
holy fuck

If you want to know why, just fucking check google and videos about him, are you that retarded ?

>the inverted subject inverted in 2nd clarinet
is that all?
not going to watch another boring deryck cooke analysis. fuck mahlerfags and that whole meme

what's your favorite WTC recording /classical/?

for me it's this or Andras Schiff's ECM set.

koroliov... schiff impression is too "soft" for me but i would need to relisten

Feinberg or Hantaï

I'm redownloading the Schiff to reacquaint myself but it just felt very at ease, and had good flow.

whereas what I like in Aldwell is the lack of pretension with his tempos, and his style/interpretation. he really lets the pieces sing

I actually haven't heard Koroliov's interpretation though, only his Art of Fugue

grimes is the modern day mozart, most people here agree

Can we agree that the Romantic era was almost completely worthless?
>chopin, who could only write for piano and could barely write anything over 3 minutes that sounded good
>schumann, who could only write for piano or voice and whole appeal is the manic depressive shittiness of it
>mendelssohn, who made music by Haydn and Mozart but not nearly as well
if not for Weber and Wagner we might as well dump the 19th century to the trash

>"you know if Bach lived today he'd make heavy metal music lol"

How do you reply to these cringe worthy metalheads who keep repeating the same shit all the time?

You're a fucking disgrace to mankind

> "heavy metal music"

Could somebody point me in the direction of a production of Le Nozze in which Cherubino engages in "/ss/" with the female cast members

you just ignore them dude, they're in a bubble

>forgets Berlioz, Brahms, Schubert, Tchaikovsky, and so on, and so on, and so on

>doesn't trascend the phisical pleasure

??

>Bach on piano

youtube.com/watch?v=ioK1mrZcqf8

>Berlioz
very influential and important but wrote bad music
>Brahms
bad
>Schubert
not romantic
>Tchaikovsky
lol