How do I unfuck this?

How do I unfuck this?

CTRL Z

Your topology is fucked. Avoid triangles because they make things more complicated for subdiv modeling. Work in quad stripes, don't worry if it doesn't look smooth enough yet. It will, once you subdiv it.

IT only goes back so far. This happens in the tutorial and the guy just rolls with it. Is there anyway to fix it? Or should it be redone?

Disable the mirror modificator and show a wireframe.

You can still fix it. Just need to merge a few vertices to remove some unnecessary faces.

Good to know, I would love to be able to but don't know how.

Mmh, it's probably hard to fix it in just a few clicks. I'll have a quick look at MakeHuman's topo.

So this is what a low-poly butt from MakeHuman looks like.

If you want to get rid of unwanted polys, just delete them (X -> Face), then select two vertices that should be merged into one, Alt+M -> Center. That way you can close up holes.

Alt+M for merging is really useful. Also try Ctrl+X for dissolving edges and points that you don't need.

By the way, if you just want to play around with a quick character model, try ManuelBastioniLab. It's a free addon for character creation in Blender and it has a shitton of options, including making anime girls.

Thank you user, it feels like you need to learn tricks to even use blender.

Thanks user, I was building that off a reference image cause I was following a tutorial. Until the dude in the video made that cluster of squares.

Plugin looks sweet. Thanks for help!

HOLY FUCK disolve is just what you need Fucking thank you.

My pleasure. I'm actually a 3D teacher for Cinema 4D and Blender, but Sup Forums is horrible for teaching. YouTube tuts are nice for a start. Yes, Blender is fucking complex, but it's worth the hassle.

Actually, Sup Forums is horrible for anything. If you're looking for sincere feedback, /3/ might be the better board. Or even Facebook groups.

>using blender

just make a fake student account and get maya

For real? It's nice to hear that because I had reservations from hearing maya and zbrush were the only tools worth learning.

Thanks again

Thanks for the tips, I tried 3d and saw the last post a week old.

What do the ToS say??

just look into it

KEK
Maya is a horrible piece of shit for anything except crowd simulation. Blender is in fact superior to Maya when it comes to raw modeling and sculpting. Sure, ZBrush is better for sculpting than Blender (or anything else), but it also has a horrible UI.
Also, Blender is completely free, even for commercial work. Blender is already a fucking impressive piece of software and it becomes unbeatable if you consider the price.
I've been using 3dsmax, Maya, C4D and Blender for more than 20 years. Blender is my favorite for everything, hands down.

maya is the standard for most media. you know that right? if youve really been using it for 20 years you'd know blender is pretty much worthless if you plan to get a job. for recreational work, its great.

It's the same with Maya as with any other piece of popular software. At some point it was indispensable and everybody had to learn it, but the truth is, it stopped being the "best" or even the standard for everything quite a while ago. Same with 3dsmax. People who claim "Software XY is a must if you want a job" don't have enough experience with media creation. I use multiple tools for every job and know how to transfer the data between apps. Noone who's serious about their shit only uses one single app.

By the way, Blender has been used for almost all 3D-VFX in "Man in the High Castle". A few years back, some high-ranking Pixar guy said in an interview that Blender does almost everything that Pixar needs for creating a movie.

TL;DR - if you know your shit and have tons of experience, you know that there's no single magic app for everything. Blender isn't, either.

Wasn't expecting some good advice in this thread.

Also, it's not true that Maya is used for "most media". Actually, the preferred 3D package varies from country to country. In Germany for example, Cinema 4D is the most popular one, while Maya is pretty US-centric. Every serious 3D guy that I know uses Blender as secondary (or even primary) tool.

>no single magic app for everything

thats not what i was getting at, at all. you'd be crazy to sculpt in maya.
i have no real issue with maya. and its what, mostly, everyone uses these days. for game creation anyway. so why not learn the industry standard?

Because Maya sucks for some basic things (like modeling), much like Illustrator sucks for basic spline manipulation (Inkscape is much more comfortable in that regard).
I know my way around Maya, but as with 3dsmax, it's a piece of shareholder software. It's not actually built around the needs of the artist. From time to time, Autodesk goes and buys a piece of third-party software and just slaps it onto 3dsmax and Maya without any real workflow integration. Autodesk tools are the Frankensteins of 3D software.

Yeah I pretty much exclusively use blender because I'm too lazy to learn any others. I might try out zbrush some day soon

modeling isnt a basic thing. having a piece of software dedicated to that, like zbrush, is the way to go. maya is an essential stepping stone to a finished asset. whether it be in marmoset or any engine.

It's always good to have alternatives. It IS true however, that you should know how to use either Maya or 3dsmax if you want to get into certain industries, because their pre-existing workflow can't deal with other 3D packages well. That's why I see many 3D artists using Blender as secondary tool, in addition to whatever they have to use for work.

...didn't i already say to try maya earlier?

Careful. Sculpting and modeling are different enough to have completely different workflows and best-suitable applications. ZBrush is great for organic stuff, but not for retopo/game assets. Yes, ZRemesher helps, but you need to finish the job in another piece of software, mostly.

I've never considered Maya to be essential for finished assets. Sculpting, retopo, painting, baking, PBR shading and exporting can all be done with other tools just as well.

Yep, you did and it's generally not a bad idea when looking for a job. However, my argument was that the job requirement might be the only real reason why you should learn it.

Alright, gotta go. Bye!

Erm...maya crowd sim...strongest feature?

you literally talk out of your ass when youre wrong. have a good life

People have different opinions. I have more than 20 years of experience as 3D artist and teacher as a foundation of my opinion. Have a good life, too.

yeah im sure you got a big dick too.

I agree that maya isn't the be all and end all but if you are looking to get into animation then it would be pretty dumb not to learn how to use it. You are right about the one app does all as well. I switch between Maya, Houdini, headus, Zbrush, substance and photoshop daily. I just wish they would update maya properly and fix some of the nagging issues it has carried over for years.

If you knew anything about maya you would know that crowd simulation isn't even a bundled feature...you would need to purchase a third party plug in like golem

Weld, or delete the polygons an extrude/bridge

dissolve saved my ass

USE A KNIFE TO REMAKE PROPER FACES THEN DISSOLVE THEM.