Space Jazz / Music for the spirit - Jazz & Avante Grande general

Recently I went to see Sun Ra's Arkestra live and it was a journey to say the least. Its encouraged me to dig further into Jazz...

I listen to Jazz but I feel my knowledge is not the greatest beyond most of the well known/cult classics (see pic) and I would love to find more artists who explore the idea of avant grande, free and spirit jazz.

Please advise and discuss, feel free to drop those gems!

Muchos gracias

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AL0YTt5x1-U
youtube.com/watch?v=pSMaSL1NjvI
youtube.com/watch?v=l7Hm0keXTeY
youtube.com/watch?v=DyWAvhgoVhI
youtube.com/watch?v=edlsD3blZ_4
youtube.com/watch?v=gBR8APMqXeQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The purists are about to tear this thread a new one.

I have been recently diving head first into jazz, been listening to anything tagged "post-bop". After learning the time line of jazz it makes sense that post-bop includes some of the most acclaimed albums ever. Sitting between free jazz and the more accessible hard bop, I guess the post bop mentality is what I have been looking for.

I know these albums are definitely not "gems" to the jazz experts, but regardless of that I have been greatly enjoying:
Komeda Quintet - Astigmatic
George Russell & His Orchestra - Jazz in The Space Age
Wayne Shorter - Speak No Evil
Eric Dolphy - Out There

For more spiritual styled jazz I would recommend checking out M'lumbo. They blend together avant-and spiritual jazz with sound collage stuff, I would consider them a gem.
>M'lumbo sample:
youtube.com/watch?v=AL0YTt5x1-U

But don't purists consider Sun Ra and Pharoah Sanders the height and spiritual and space jazz?

No purists call all things Spiritual "rockist".

*cringes*

But Sun Ra, Pharoah Sanders or Alice Coltrane were definitely not making fusion.
I thought "spiritual jazz", yes the name is unfortunate, was a documented and accepted movement.

I approve of this general

Posting Sanders' best album. THAT TIMBRE

If you want to jump in to the headiest shit ever made try either trane live in japan or stellar regions

>purists
>existing
>"Oh, so that's how I'm supposed to think of it, thanks wiki
FUCK

Working my way through the recs and very much enjoyed so far, also thank you for the intel on post bop... will continue my searching via these suggested artists!

>I have nothing of value to say, I just cringe at everything

purists are scum

there is no purpose in music continuing without changing/evolving

THIS

is this space jazz

no its cellar jazz

Red, Black & Green was the track that popped my cherry for enjoying harsh timbres

Lmao this some shit a nerdy ass white boy would say. It's not about spirituality, it's about black power and empowerment. This music is not for you , ,fuckin cave chimp

Yeah nice topic starter shit tard - Can easily argue that people find self empowerment through spirituality, be that via music or religion

Plus as quoted here it was gen the name for the movement

Don't know why you're acting like you know who music is and is not for as Music is not material. Music is Spiritual.

youtube.com/watch?v=l7Hm0keXTeY

youtube.com/watch?v=DyWAvhgoVhI

...and John Coltrane - OM
Archie Shepp - Magic of Ju-Ju
+ everything Muhal Richard Abrams

i wonder where you heard of that one from :^)...

this too. definitely my favorite alice playing after trane died. plays a lot of the same language from something like live at the village vanguard again but on organ.

tfw haven't listened to this yet

nothing wrong with getting deep with spiritual jazz styles

what you need to know is that shit like Sander's Karma was trying to remove the African roots of jazz from all the European sophistication, so people who feel like music getting more complicated is the main value will not like it - shit got simpler and more direct

check these cats out for some more ecstatic blowing in Pharoah's footsteps:
Noah Howard - The Black Ark
youtube.com/watch?v=edlsD3blZ_4
Frank Lowe - Black Beings
youtube.com/watch?v=gBR8APMqXeQ

Underrated Trane album coming through.

do it.
i love that album but i wouldnt call it underrated. thats the one people usually mention for late trane other then ascension.

I put a song from this on a blindfold once. It was pretty poorly received.
Purists can't into spiritual.

This. I rave about this in /jazz/ semi-regularly. One I really couldn't into when I first heard it and now it's one of my favorite records.

>no Kamasi
Cool.