Reminder that this is, hands-down, the best cinematographic depiction of a nuclear attack:

Reminder that this is, hands-down, the best cinematographic depiction of a nuclear attack:

youtube.com/watch?v=pX9hL93HPMI

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MrHoMSRZOS4
youtube.com/watch?v=RqyBzXYZPoM
nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/
youtu.be/NFkryh6hC-k
youtube.com/watch?v=nL4ckHJ4dZA
youtu.be/lBZsYceH4nM
youtube.com/watch?v=O6gPPj8B_nU
youtube.com/watch?v=cHcunREYzNY
youtube.com/watch?v=yEje927dygM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Sure, if you slowed the effects of such a thermonuclear detonation down about 15,000x normal speed. In actual reality an explosion of that magnitude would have vaporized everything in about 4 nanoseconds with a 30-35 mile radius off the point of the detonation.

They slowed everything down to make it nitty and gritty but as far as realistic, fuck no, it ain't happening. The flash and vaporization would have happened before even one frame at 24 fps would have passed the lense.

So you can see why they had to slow it the fuck down. Right?

Right?

Shut up nerd.

As an addition, one of only major booboos they made in T2 was the fact that DOGS KNOW WHEN A TERMINATOR IS AROUND and yet when "Uncle Bob" got out of the station wagon when they arrived an Enrique's pace in the desert, the German sheppards there (several of them with other mixed breeds of dogs) NEVER FUCKING BARKED AT UNCLE BOB, NOT FUCKING ONCE.

Kinda of a big booboo there, James. Great movie, a great deal of work telling that tale but, not quite perfect.

Fuck

35 mile radius? Next time you try to act smart at least do a quick Google search to make sure you're not off by a factor of 10. You won't look like such an idiot.

youtube.com/watch?v=MrHoMSRZOS4

If you pay close attention the clip, everything DOES get vaporized as the heat wave spreads out - that would normally take a few nanoseconds to happen but again to get the most visceral effect for the audience in the movie everything had to be slowed down rather dramatically.

Also, since it's giving the impression that it's Los Angeles being hit there that means the detonation takes place in a "bowl" meaning a valley situation. It's apparent it's an above ground blast as the bright light from the detonation happens well above ground for the tell tale double-flash.

35 mile radius in the Los Angeles valley providing basically instant destruction and vaporization of effectively everything with a multi-hundred megaton weapon (something in the US and Russian arsenals in the late 1980s and early 1990s) could easily do that much damage in those conditions.

>people not understanding what actual thermonuclear weapons are capable of
>still watching "Trinity"
>not realizing how weak those weapons were compared to what's available in our active arsenal sitting on planes in hangars at every major USAFB 24/7 ready to roll out in minutes

We've got some massive firepower at our disposal, children.

uncle bob wasnt a terminator, he was a protector.

If you experience a sudden bright flash get down on the floor. That way you won't get the window in your face. There are obviously distances at which, if you survive the shock wave, you're out of immediate danger. Surviving at such a distance are mostly decided by luck.

Then you have to decide if your best shot at avoiding radiation damages are staying inside or travel perpendicular to the wind. A safe bet is the former.

Thank you for the PSA but "Duck and Cover" was never an actual solution to surviving a nuclear blast, especially not one within about 30 miles of you unless you're already 100 floors underground.

Sorry for not telling those close enough to the explosion to get killed instantly what to do in case of a bomb.

>not Threads and the depiction of the post-apocalyptic hellhole that follows a nuclear explosion or war

>right

No

It's reasonably realistic.

It depicts the electromagnetic front hitting first, and everything bursting into flames. Then followed by the atmospheric shockwave blasting everything to pieces.

There's little nit picking details, like when the second shockwave hits the bus and palmtrees, they're not already on fire, even though everybody at the play ground is. And some of the debris looks like a grip threw a box of styrofoam chunks on a large fan. Again, that's just nitpicking and is probably due to the limits of practical effects.

What wasn't depicted was the third shockwave, when the atmosphere rushes back in to fill the vacuum caused by the explosion. Also Sarah Connor just standing their as she catches on fire, then her flesh rips off and her skellington is still there is pretty stupid. Though all these points can just be dimissed as aspects of her dream.

I give it an A-. Well done.

youtube.com/watch?v=RqyBzXYZPoM

Duck and Cover was a practical issue for surviving a nuclear explosion. 30 miles is far to generous. Three miles it would probably be pointless. 30 miles and you're well outside of instant vaporization and flying debris would be a serious concern. In fact, most of the deaths in a nuclear explosion won't be from the detonation itself but the flying debris and subsequent fires set.

>he doesn't know what MIRVs are

Yeah, no, you're off by orders of magnitude.

nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/

>a multi-hundred megaton weapon (something in the US and Russian arsenals in the late 1980s and early 1990s)
The largest nuclear weapon ever detonated was 50Mt

He didn't say most realistic.

He said best.

You illiterate faggot.

Also there aren't more powerful nukes now than there were back in the 60s since testing has been banned.

youtu.be/NFkryh6hC-k

>if you slowed it down

The time scale depicted in the clip is correct. Sudden flash of the first shockwave propogating at the speed of light. The second shockwave is a the speed of sound.

I wish people wouldn't try to talk about science if they don't know what they're doing.

youtube.com/watch?v=nL4ckHJ4dZA

When are we going to get a GOOD gritty terminator movie about the future war.

>James Cameron will never be this great again

Also this
youtu.be/lBZsYceH4nM

Don't they use computer models? When you start getting bigger yields than the Tsar Bomba, it's likely a good idea not to detonate them.

Barefoot Gen is actually written by someone who survived one of the nukes. He then went on to create the Manga series which got extremely popular. Those are the events he remembers as a child.

bretty gud

there were no multi hundred megaton weapons

the largest ever tested was 50mt

the largest ever deployed was significantly less than that

still huge tho, even 1mt is equivalent to fifty hiroshima sized bombs

That shit still ain't reaching 35 miles.

>depiction
i prefer the real deal thank you very much

They train dogs for that moron.

>old woman peepeeing in the street

xD

There are random, untrained dogs that bark at the terminator.

>real deal
>shitty cgi

Wow wtf I hate Terminator 2 now

Get a life...

You gotta admit those are some pretty good miniatures though

ha tricked.

Here's some actual ones.

youtube.com/watch?v=O6gPPj8B_nU

and my favorite

Kino as fuck

>cinematographic

Asshole, you're making me cry.

I can assure you nobody died because of those.

Nuclear explosions have this weird captivation about them.

Who the fuck said anything about deaths? I'm crying because of the beauty of it. I'm crying because I'm looking at the face of god.

>the third shockwave, when the atmosphere rushes back in to fill the vacuum caused by the explosion

expand on that

Lemme add a good one to your collection

I want someone to fire a nuke just so we have some modern footage of one going off.

well spookt

imagine being able to harness such energy to power things.

WOWOWOOOOOAAAAH

>that ghost in the top cloud

Ground zero VR experience of nuclear detonations when

That would be absolutely amazing.

>nuke goes off
>everything is white
>it stays that way for the rest of the experience because you were looking in the direction of the nuke when it went off.

one of my fav docs

Thread theme

youtube.com/watch?v=cHcunREYzNY

I remember our teacher showing us this when we were 12. We were not ready.

>the face of god
Oh, the irony.

>look at direction of nuke
>protective goggles mode on
>turn it off
>cover your "eyes" with your hand
>nuke detonates
>see through your hand

>the face of god.
xD

>the face of god
xD

You telling me, if there were actually such things are deities, that this isn't exactly what a person would look like, from being exposed to their light?

Atomic bombs > Stone
Got it.

this one is disgusting

>That ship going straight up

How I learned to Stop Worrying and Worship the Bomb

all these explosions look like Metroids

How did he survive a nuke to the face? Did it just clip his lips? Did his nuke shield have a hole in it?

He's wolverine

brexitcucks always want to talk about threads like its some masterpiece

>"The lethal possibilities of atomic warfare in the future are frightening. My own feeling was that in being the first to use it, we had adopted an ethical standard common to the barbarians of the Dark Ages. I was not taught to make war in that fashion, and wars cannot be won by destroying women and children."

Battleship Nagato in the lower right (RIP)

>and wars cannot be won by destroying women and children."
Well...

Same guy said this.

>"It is my opinion that the use of this barbarous weapon at Hiroshima and Nagasaki was of no material assistance in our war against Japan. The Japanese were already defeated and ready to surrender because of the effective sea blockade and the successful bombing with conventional weapons.

Guess who he was?

Fleet Admiral William Daniel Leahy.

Pic related is

castle bravo

youtube.com/watch?v=yEje927dygM

Could a new atom bomb destroy the whole world today? With technology advancing and such

Will we see a nuclear war in our lifetime?

I really disagree with him. Japan wasn't going to give up unless we dropped the bombs or we captured the emperor. It would have been way more devastating for both sides in the end. I mean, all the purple hearts given out today are left overs that were made in preparation for an invasion of Japan.

Besides, the conventional bombings had the capacity to be just as bad as nukes. I mean look at Dresden or the fire bombing on Tokyo.

Nukes are bad but by using them, we saved more lives on both sides.

I doubt it. We might see a nuke or two go off on a population though. Look to the Middle East for that.

With enough plutonium maybe, but why bother? At the pace technology is progressing RKKV's will soon make nukes obsolete.

with what we have already we could wipe life off the face of the planet multiple times over and thats not counting other coutries

>I really disagree with him
You want to know what the difference between him and you are? He lead the navy to victory against Japan, you're shit posting from retrospect online.

>Nukes are bad but by using them, we saved more lives on both sides.

Kek, that's the rhetoric you've been fed. Literally has nothing to do with the nukes, but the context they were dropped in. Japan could not war - they had been firebombed to shit house, they had no supply lines, people who actually spearheaded the war believed they were able to finish it without the nukes or a land invasion.

But then again, the government had just spent 2 billion on developing this new weapon we MIGHT not be able to use.

>had the capacity to be just as bad as nukes.

Yes, but they DID firebomb them, firebombing removed their ability to war, that's part of the whole problem. WHen you firebomb a nation to shithouse and they can no longer war, why do you then nuke them?

Nukes are not bad, they just have to be used in the right way, something America has learnt. Well, America did, you didn't.

The scientists that helped created the technology strongly proposed choosing a deserted (or soon to be deserted) island someplace in the Pacific where one of the devices could be detonated with full view of Japanese military and government forces witnessing it happen.

Truman had to think long and hard about the choice of doing the test in that manner for two primary reasons:

The first would be that the test could fail to convince them (they'd probably say we'd wired up the entire island since they had no idea one single device not that much larger than a refrigerator or small car could do that kind of destruction) and we'd waste a nuke which was precious in those few days they had to decide - more would come later of course but I'm talking about within 14 days of the actual Hiroshima drop.

The second was that if he gave the order to do the drop they didn't know precisely how many people would die or be injured and whether or not THAT device would be wasted because it wouldn't provoke the Japanese to surrender forcing the US to use the second device.

As history shows quite clearly, the Japanese simply didn't give up after Hiroshima so Truman was forced to order the second bomb to Nagasaki - at that point, after losing so much in such a small amount of time, the leaders of Japan's government knew they didn't have any choice anymore and their people wouldn't stand for the continuation of war against America.

Complicated situation, not something I would trade places with Truman over but for me if I was in his shoes I'd have chosen to demo the weapon first and see what happened then tell them if they didn't back down and surrender the next one would take out a much higher value target than the two that were eventually chosen, say even Tokyo.

I wonder how that would have worked out.

Tokyo wasn't a target for the nukes because it got firebombed to shit. Like nothing was still standing there by the time they dropped the nukes.

Probably not with a nuclear weapon, our entire worlds arsenal couldn't even do it.

Maybe one day we can gather enough antimatter.

>generals openly oppose it
>many call it an experiment
>advisors and other important figures in the war propose other ideas on how to end the war without usage of a land invasion or nukes
>it's okay because Truman thought long and hard about it.
Okay?

>"...when we didn't need to do it, and we knew we didn't need to do it, and they knew that we knew we didn't need to do it, we used them as an experiment for two atomic bombs."

this is a really good thread you guys

keep it up