What does Sup Forums think about tool?

What does Sup Forums think about tool?

pseudo intellectual nu-metal. complete garbage.

pseudo intellectual nu-metal. pretty good.

pseudo intellectual nu-metal. fairly average

shitty buttmetal for people around 15

pseudo intellectual nu-metal. really good

it's yes for prepubescent edgelord faggots

that's not a tool its an album cover wtf

WHY DON'T YOU KIDS LIKE THE TOOL

pseudo intellectual nu-metal for people who like to force numbers into music. Faggot shit

Their really good, but have quite a bad rap on Sup Forums because this thread literally shows up most days.

>t. tool fan

Good music, Keenan is an asshat, terrible fanbase

ahem

why don't you kids like the tool?

>their
>rap

intellectual metal. incredible

Terrible one hit wonder band with obsessive aspie fan. Hyped up by mall goths. Barely popular at all. No one outside of Hot Topics cared.

>intellectual

Their music is alright, really not as experimental as their fans think tho

these are the acceptable posts so far. everyone else failed the newfag test

Tool was the most innovative band to emerge from grunge's second generation. Undertow (1993) announced their sinister, threatening and (in a subtle way) explosive blend of Led Zeppelin, grunge, heavy-metal and progressive-rock. The lengthy and brainy suites of Aenima (1996) displayed a shimmering elegance that was almost a contradiction in terms, but that was precisely the point: Tool's art was one of subtle contrasts and subdued antinomies, one in which existential rage and titanic will competed all the time. It was also a diary of primal angst, and the lyrical level truly paralleled the instrumental level. Lateralus (2001) expanded on that two-level approach, with tracks that, musically, were multi-part concertos or mini-operas, and, lyrically, were Freudian sessions that elicited all possible interior demons.

i like it. wether they're good or bad it's irrelevant to me because i like the music

When you're listening to Tool, just remember that they're not like other bands. Their music is incredibly artistic, almost to the point where you have to be paying complete attention to them to even remotely understand them. I remember listening to a song on Lateralus (though I can't remember what it was), where I thought a song was absolute bollocks during the listen. Then, I closed my eyes for a second, and all of a sudden the song had an entirely new meaning. It was insane the way Tool could just become something so different when you take a look into the music.

Another thing you should note about Tool is that it's easy to get a headache listening to them. Not because they're a bad band, but because of how many ideas their music is riddled with and how complex they are. Soon enough your head will fill to the brim and the rest will just sound like noise to you. Just turn it off and give it a listen the next day.

If you don't like the music, you'll definitely at least enjoy reading through the lyrics, and picking apart the song itself and all of the artistic values that go into making it the complexity that it is.

>falseflagging this hard

Their album covers make me uncomfortable.

Their music is Magical.

It took me a long time to get into and understand what all the admiration was about, but after I've finally broken into it...it's like their music is on an entirely different level. I started out on Opiate, I listened to it once, didn't get much out of it. Then I saw Escape From LA, and the director John Carpenter uses the song "Sweat" to perfect effect in the beginning of the film, and it just haunted me. I listened to Opiate again and it's like every time I listened to it, it eerily got better and better and became one of my favorite albums in a very short period of time.

Next I listened to Lateralus. Once again, didn't think much of it. Seemed like Tool was just experimental and overrated. Then listened to it again the next day... and it's like something unlocked in my mind overnight. The album was brilliant, amazing, and beautiful. It continued to get bigger and more incredible the more I listened to it. I've probably listened to it 50 times since then.

Yesterday, listened to Aenima. Remember feeling disappointed that it was no Lateralus. Listened again today, and it's brilliant, haunting, and marvelous. Tool does something I've never heard before; It's like they're playing with the very properties of music to set up something you can't understand at first, then blow your mind with a musical idea that couldn't have been understood or expressed in just a few playthroughs. Their music engages you on a spiritual level and shows you things you didn't know existed. If you don't like Tool, it's not because they're "overrated" or not as good as you've heard, it's because you haven't been enlightened. The best way to listen to them is to accept that the music is excellent and you're in good hands musically. If you try to judge it like you do most music, it will prevent you from understanding.

try not to cut yourself on that super edgy personality of yours

Long time fan, their world is so unique. Saw them live the other day, shit was incredible!

It might be a meme with the Sup Forumstards, but Lateralus is 10/10 and always will be.

you just need to pry open your third eye, kiddo

I like it, but it's nothing special.

Anyone who holds it as "artistic" is lying out of their ass, though.

Why is it not?
And what would be an example of "artistic" band?

My favorite band.
Powerful and precise technical drumming, really cool use of sounds for guitars, and maynard's voice is strong too. He sings about his mother a bit too much for me.
Can't wait for the new album.

Lyrics are cookie-cutter angst shit about sticking it up to the "man" and society at large.
Their sound is good but due to the schlock of generic alt-metal coming out around the same time and after, it retroactively diluted a good chunk of their "artistic value".

Seems more like an exaggeration of their sound based off of nostalgia rather than anything else.

I don't really label bands as "artistic" since that'd feel both rhetorical and redundant. Of course they're artistic, isn't that the point of a band to begin with? To express their art in a musical format?

Love them when I was like 16... had been into like aphex twin and radiohead before that, so kind of a weird step back in my mind now, but w/e. The guitars are still pretty cool, and maynard has a good voice even if the lyrics frequently suck.

I dig them, but probably cause my dad is a major Toolhead so I grew up listening to them.

>ywn be this young

>Implying anything after Undertow is good

Clever music for stupid people. See also: Primus, Mr. Bungle/Faith No More, and Rush.

That said, I actually like all those bands. They're just not that great and the fandoms are hideous.

Well fuck you too, your highness

perhaps the most lifeless music ever created. no glimpse of genuine human emotion or interesting ideas

>your highness
What? I admitted I was classless enough to enjoy that garbage, too.

Sup Forums always finds a way to hit new lows......

this seems pretty reasonable

One of the best bands of all time. Every album a 10.

their band name is very accurate

Maynard's voice is god tier. Unlike anything else out there. He only has one song about his mom.

>shitting on prog melvins
Disgusting taste all around christ

It's pussy metal. Metal for pussies. Undertow has a few good tracks on it. The best part about them is their visual aesthetic.

Who's to say it isn't about dicks?

It's music about dicks made for pussies. They really go hand in hand dont they

Their a bunch of tools

I guarantee the majority of people who hate Tool have never listened to Lateralus completely focused from start to finish.

They think because they've heard Stinkfist and Vicarious they know everything about the band's music.

Tool is pretty good.
The fans, however, live up to the band's name.