Now the dust has settled, which one was scarier?

Now the dust has settled, which one was scarier?

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/11139179/r
youtube.com/watch?v=JjIXwkX1e48
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Both shit.

Objectively end yourself

Not gonna lie, the defibrillator scene in The Thing still fucks me up to this day. Nothing in Alien ever really got me like that.

Alien overall. Just as a movie itself. If pathogen fear is more troublesome to you than the fear of violation then I suppose The Thing would have more impact, but Alien as a production is practically flawless. It made the vast openness of space feel airtight and the claustrophobic aspect of the movie can hardly be stated enough.

So I'll say Alien.

The Thing
Visually the Thing is fucking creepy. But also the concept is way scarier. Anyone could be a thing, and it can separate itself from the larger body so you'd never know if you totally killed it.

Also the defibrillator scene is probably one of the best in horror and scifi.

strawpoll.me/11139179/r

Memeien BTFO.

Better would be a more interesting question.

People who say Alien would beat The Thing are fucking morons. MUH ACID BLOOD FCK YES. But all The Thing has to do is literally just take a human shape, grab a bigass gun and blast the fucking bug. Not to mention it'd probably shape itself as some super big and scary space monster it assimilated somewhere far away in darkest corners of the vast universe.

And the fact that the Thing could just drop a bunch of skittering hand spiders out of itself to go hide somewhere before the fight so as long as one survives, the whole Thing survives.

seems close to me, famslice

James Cameron ruined any scary element of xenomorphs/ the franchise as a whole. That being said The Thing was inherently scarier

Was this cut out in some markets, of for TV, don't member it.

now that the dust has settled, 36-37 years later...

OP you absolute tard.

It's like pottery.

None of them are scary.

Carpenter movies never scared me, they always felt to me like horror parodies than proper horror. So Alien.

2 different types of horror IMO.

The Thing is suspenseful but it relies a lot on body horror which most people are generally creeped out by.

Alien is all suspense and mystery without much body horror at all (maybe the birth scene but not really).

I think they are both awesome films, in my top 10 films of all time to be honest but I can appreciate the effort of making a cheap rubber suit scary.

Alien for sure!

This is still unsettling as fuck to this day.

I was going to say I can't find the xenomorph scary at this point, but I guess Alien Isolation worked alright to somewhat rejuvenate the sense of dread associated with it... At least for the first five hours of the game.

The Thing is more gross/gore, Alien is more atmospheric. Depends what kind of horror you prefer. I prefer the latter.

The SFX in The Thing still feel quite repulsive even by todays standards. Whereas I'm afraid the effects in Alien just don't quite hold up. (The set designs are still incredible though) I don't get frightened by horror movies though so I'm not the best one to judge that

Objectively: The Thing. Its objective and danger is a lot worse than the xenomorph, which was merely a Giger influenced insect.

Aesthetically the xenomorph is scarier looking. If the original alien was canon only, and the xeno could turn people into eggs, then it would be more competitive to The Thing.

But the Thing's ability to mimic and assimilate anything is what makes it the superior villain.

youtube.com/watch?v=JjIXwkX1e48
never seen this?

Just think today how it would be cheesy CG.

That fuckign scream...

Thing, definitely.

I know people talk about the Thing primarily from its gross body horror aspects, but that's not really what makes it fearsome. What makes the Thing a scarier setup is the paranoia aspect regarding your ability to trust anyone else, lest they might secretly be a Thing. That sort of permeating tension that comes from not being able to trust anyone is much more palpable than what the xenomorph brings, especially considering - if anything - the presence of the xenomorph (paradoxically) alleviated tension by uniting the crew against a common foe.

Which film is better is a whole different question, but the Thing is definitely scarier.

I believe it's a different question but the answer is the same. The Thing is a phenomenal film.

This isn't a "who would win" battle, almost nothing could realistically beat the Thing. We're strictly arguing which is the better/scarier film.

My vote goes for Alien

The Thing is scarier because you have no idea who could be infected/replaced. In the movie only 4 people got replaced and one of them pretty badly, yet you have no idea who besides Kurt Russel is an infectee.

>I know I'm not infected, and I know not all of you are infected otherwise I would be dead right now. But some of you are not who you really are and want to stay that way.

the one that sheds some light on the bonus situation

If the question is "which one scares me the most now", it has to be the thing
Not because Alien isn't well made or that it shouldn't evoke fear, but it's such an influential movie that most of the fear is gone and replaced with noticing what parts inspired what
also the alien is far too arousing for me to actually be scared by it
the thing is still influential, just less so than alien, and the creature design and effects hold up much better since they're not embedded in pop culture so much that they've lost a lot of the fear factor
oh, and Alien is far better shot, I could take pretty much any frame and use it as a wallpaper

Thnx...
2:09 "you gotta be fucking kidding."
KEK

I find both of them too comfy to be scared by them.

IT'S NOT BENNINGS

Neither are scary, unless you are underage / sheltered.