>Send it to him
>Sometimes can't find FLAC, so download 320kb mp3 and convert to FLAC
>"Thanks user, I can really hear the difference"
>Been doing this for months
>He buys me lunch sometimes to pay for it
>Tell him he doesn't have to
>"But you get me all these lossless albums user, I gotta pay you back somehow"
>"Aw, thanks pal"
>Frequent topic of conversation is how much better hi-fi audio is, what our equipment is, how vinyl is a meme, etc.
>He doesn't suspect a thing

Other urls found in this thread:

abx.digitalfeed.net/lame.320.html.
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

nerdiest post i ever read

>sitting around talking about hi-fi audio?
LOL

You're a dick.
Fall into a parking meter and break your front teeth.

user i think we found your audiophile friend

t. user's friend

will you buy me lunch

I mean, is it really a dick move if it exposes a weird bias and technically is also making the guy happy?

What is his equipment that he can't differentiate a 198kb from lossless
also hopefully these transcodes don't make their way around beyond your friend

fake news no one this autistic has friends

I guarantee, you can reduce early classical/jazz recording to 112kb MP3 & he won't be able to tell

the original records had a tiny dynamic range

>human being doesn't know how to torrent

Is your friend in his fifties or something?

>What is his equipment that he can't differentiate a 198kb from lossless

Audiophiles are pretentious cunts that listens to equipment rather than the music, when I first started getting into music, I went to a lot of showcase/meetup of these people and the only music they listen to are those 'crystal clear'/'highly-produced' stuffs. They never expand their taste outside these music and lets say example letting them listen to ITAOTS, they will dismiss it as bad, not because of how we analyze the texture or context of the music but rather due to it being lo-fi. They also like to brag how much they have spent on their speakers and whatnot, I was there to audition speakers anyway, never had I met so much snobbish people in one place, maybe luxury cars meet-up will top that experience.

>also hopefully these transcodes don't make their way around beyond your friend

You can use adobe or audacity spectogram to detect the bitrates of each songs you know.

if he actually were an audiophile he would check the waveforms and make sure it's a good transcode

>Audiophiles are pretentious cunts that listens to equipment rather than the music
There are snobs in every hobby or profession, audio is huge on this because equipment is expensive, so old white farts are the biggest demographic in the hobby.

Just had to say the W word didnt you?

You cannot hear the difference. Your friend is a fucking pretentious pleb.

There is nothing wrong with exposing hacks like this.

t. never did an ABX test

If he actually were an audiophile he wouldn't have the need to check with anything other than his ears.

snobs?

Am I wrong?

>If he actually were an audiophile he wouldn't have the need to check with anything other than his ears.
I don't enough time to ABX every single file I download, it's easier to check the spectral quickly.

I'm the redacted guy btw

If you were an actual audiophile you wouldn't have the need to do an ABX to tell if something is FLAC or not.

You don't really believe that do you? Cause I can differentiate 320 and flac, I'm 18 and hear up to 19khz.

Women?

>I can totally tell the difference
>I'm 18
>I can tell

>so old white farts

Old white farts, middle-aged white farts, old asian farts and middle-aged asian farts are the main demographic actually, never seen a nigger in the meet-ups I'll been.

Do you know how I can tell you haven't done an ABX test?
Just a few days ago I saw someone claiming they could tell the difference between flac and MP3 320 yet they couldn't even tell flac from v5.
I would place my bets you won't be able to tell the difference either.

>obsessed with FLAC v lossy
>doesn't know how to use torrents

I call bullshit. This all sounds far too convenient to be true.

8/10.

Less concerts, less fucking up your hearing.

Yeah, that's my point

I actually did test myself here abx.digitalfeed.net/lame.320.html.

It's a true ABX, not like Tidal's shitty version which makes WAV files take twice as long to load. I've been into audio since I was 12, maybe my hearing developed well enough, I also use plugs at concerts. Like I said, I can tell the difference, I scored 80% correct on the test, if I had my own song choices, I could probably do at least 95%.

I wouldn't lie to you about it. And I'm perfectly fine with 320kbps.

see

What point? You only said one demographic, they're four in total.

Huh, that's pretty impressive then.
You should still make your own ABX test with your own songs though.
And yeah, Tidal's ABX test really sucks. Their 320 mp3 uses a shitty outdated codec closer to a non outdated 128 mp3

My point was that snobbery comes from the people involved in certain hobbies.

I was impressed when I did it, but not surprised. I've always had great hearing and for some reason I've been aware about taking care of it since I was younger.

If I had foobar I'd do it right away, but I don't know how else I can do a reliable ABX with my own files.

>I'm 18
>I respect my hearing
>I can tell the difference
>I'm 18

>Yeah I've always had good hearing
>I'm 18
>I've been training since I was 12
>I can tell the difference
>I'm 18

You would be surprised. I met a guy on Garry's Mod around 6 years ago, and throughout the years he could hardly make it through an install wizard. He's gotten better with time, but the man sees a paragraph of text and his brain just screeches to a halt.
He still refuses to learn how to torrent. It's equal parts not wanting to break the law and being intimidated by the very concept of seeding and checking for peers and such. He asked me if he needed a VPN to torrent once, but when I told him he would need to pay for one, he lost all interest again.
He wants to torrent TV shows and movies, though. I don't think he's interested in any music that isn't in a vidya or film soundtrack.

Good job OP. Next time try converting to 128 kbps using HE-AAC. It's still not noticeable because of the amazing code that HE-AAC is. It's fucking amazing.

They do look very cool though

virgin detected

Yeah on planet dork maybe
Will do

>198kb
Do you mean 192kbps?

Nope
198 specifically.
Something about using a non-standard bitrate really amuses me. Like when he's going on about how shitty 320kb sounds and how 192 is unlistenable, it's funny cause almost his entire library he's gotten from me is encoded in that non-standard bitrate just a smidge higher than unlistenable. It's glorious.

Vinyl is cozy there's something cathartic about letting a vinyl spin on the turn table.

>Something about using a non-standard bitrate really amuses me

fucking lol, quality post user

>I'm 18
>I can't tell the difference
>I want to though

then there's the album art as well, which is why i only pick up albums with good album art

We'll I agree with the first half not so much the second.

Nothing wrong with vinyl, user. I would love to collect myself, but I don't have the money or the space. I love watching it spin on the table, and I like the generally warmer tones.
My pal is determined to be the "smartest" audiophile though, and part of that is his rejection of vinyl entirely. To him, anyone who likes vinyl is an elitist who thinks that vinyl is the objectively superior format. He's concluded that buying expensive equipment and only listening to music in FLAC is the way to go, and anything less is contemptible.
We have a good dynamic going on. He buys high-end speakers, and I buy mid-to-high end headphones and DAPs. His library is an assortment of real FLAC that he buys & fake FLAC that I send him, and my library is almost entirely 320kb mp3s and 256kb aacs.

Ha.

>Nothing wrong with vinyl, user. I would love to collect myself, but I don't have the money or the space.

If you ever get the money and the space skip that shit and start a book collection instead.

Kindle.
Unlike vinyl, there is nothing about physical books that I prefer over digital, save for things like textbooks and other large-format books not working on the small screens that ebooks tend to have. Maybe it's because I work in a bookstore.
I collect trade paperbacks for comics, though.

Fair enough. I disagree entirely and think vinyl a lesser pursuit by comparison but have no interest debating you over your personal preferences.

It's all good.
I get that buying a book is probably a better investment than buying a vinyl. A vinyl is just an album in a funny format that comes with a bit of a pain-in-the-ass ritual, but a book is a big repository of information. The latter is bound to give you more utility than the former.
I agree that collecting vinyl is a lesser pursuit in both an intellectual and a general sense.

what do you really have to "learn" to torrent?

>be top contributor on What.CD (when it was alive)
>rip my rare CDs
>on Audacity, slow down speed on each track by 0.02x
>upload it
>people keep praising me
They will never know

I don't know, man, I picked it up pretty easily.
I tried teaching him at one point, but The Pirate Bay's layout was too much for him. He also just could not wrap his head around seeding.
I think if I showed him SoulSeek, he wouldn't have any problems, but then my little ruse would be over.
My God.
You're the kind of trickster I think I am, but never was.
All hail. That's some hilarious shit. I wonder how much of your music I've listened to.

You fucking monster.

>what are log and cue verifications?
Nice try, but I call bullshit.