Is hip-hop in its current state the most commercial it's ever been...

Is hip-hop in its current state the most commercial it's ever been? We're drifting away from boom-bap rap with straight bars, and moving into sing songy, Lil Uzi/Travis Scott territory. Anyone think that's why hip-hop is now the biggest genre in America? Because it's becoming more easily digested, and marketed.

Is hip-hop bigger now than it was in the 90s, and is it because niggas are out here singing and shit as opposed to just spitting bars the whole song.

Other urls found in this thread:

laweekly.com/music/sullivan-king-combines-metal-guitar-and-edm-beats-into-his-own-insane-sound-6579940
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>We're drifting away from boom-bap rap with straight bars, and moving into sing songy, Lil Uzi/Travis Scott territory
How old are you some of you people? There was singing-esque stuff that was something between hip hop and rnb in the 2000s as well. Not to mention there's no hip hop artists right now that's selling as well as the late 90s/2000s guys. It was infinitely more commercial in the 2000s

Genres are diverging. We have the intellectual, more classic style hip hop like kendrick and j cole. Meanwhile others are going back to some of the more pop, dance oriented, and androgynous hip hop of the 70s and 80s.

>late 90s/2000s guys. It was infinitely more commercial in the 2000s
nah i don't think that's right. you got numbers for that nigaa?

>being this underage you don't remember Nelly, Ja Rule, Usher.

this was a split off from rap to r&b though. now it's come back to hip hop as a whole

Gangsta rap was the most commercial it's ever been.

It's still harmonizing about sad shit, hence the name rhythm and blues.

>intellectual

>kendrick
intellectual

BONE THAT ONE 100%

rap has reached its peak, its end game was a retard mumbling under autotune. That was the death of the rapper. The death of lyricism. So, why do we even need rappers anymore? I think eventually EDM will overtake rap. Which will become stale. If rap is faster that rock, edm is faster than rap.

I think EDM will get some sort of booster shot in the near future that will give it more depth than being just party or festival music. It will also be the last human made music before it gets replaced by AI.
But that is more of my scifi prediction

I would say when i was growing up there was more variety in mainstream music, rock was still relevant, metal, punk, rap, pop, r&b, country.
You had everything.

I think its been whittled down to just pop and rap, and it feels so stale.
Rap is at its mainstream peak and it has nowhere to go but down.

On another note i always felt if you wanted to bring rock back you would have to re invent the guitar, upgrade it, disrupt it. Make a new type of guitar.
It is an ELECTRIC guitar, so why cant you fuck with it, make it play different sounds.

Oh my god I wanna impregnate her so bad.

People act like Nelly wasn't one of the biggest stars on the planet for a time

>On another note i always felt if you wanted to bring rock back you would have to re invent the guitar, upgrade it, disrupt it. Make a new type of guitar.
>It is an ELECTRIC guitar, so why cant you fuck with it, make it play different sounds.
are you drunk? shoegaze exists.

I think he means treating the guitar like a synth.

Also the future of pop is the gorrliaz model.

A fake cartoon pop star, music put together by an ai or team of writers, music studios making merch from the cartoons, maybe even actual cartoons, live hologram performances

Its going to be like a weird fusion of gorrlliaz and vocoloid.

Pop music will become pretty much fully automated.

This is my dystopian prediction.

this is already happening though, maybe not in the main stream but like i have something i can plug in my computer i do that with

I mean like this guy.

laweekly.com/music/sullivan-king-combines-metal-guitar-and-edm-beats-into-his-own-insane-sound-6579940

>His innovative sound required him to invent new ways of playing. With the help of modern technology, he’s able to write, arrange and perform every instrument found in a traditional four-piece band. Live, he does it all with just a guitar, a microphone and a pair of CDJs. He stands at the collision of two competing worlds. If DJs are today’s rock stars, then Sullivan King is forging his own rock galaxy.

Rock needs to do two things.
It needs to totally re invent the actual concept of a guitar and what a rock star is, and it needs a cool fashion sense for modern times

Yeah,but no one big is doing it.

who is this semen demon

Music evolves with technology, so if you want rock to be refreshed and evolve, with a new sound that doesnt copy others.
Reinvent the actual guitar

>Yeah,but no one big is doing it.
buddy.

>that pic
LOOOOOOORD get that cringe shit outta here

For EDM to evolve it needs to become more than party music, it needs to become listening music.
This will expanded past the festival circuit and into the homes of millions. And expand the market.
It will also gain edm critical acclaim

the point of the rapper was lyricism, and rap has deevolved into stupendously retarded dread head niggers mumbling gibberish under autotune. or even half singing. So, anyone can do that. And singing isnt rapping. There is no point in the rapper anymore. The rapper is disposable. This is why i sense a coming shift. Rap will die at the hands of a supercharged and pretentious EDM which will evolve into a new weird IDM

Yes. Meanwhile rock and metal bands are still larping the 60's, 70's and 80's
>when will they ever learn

>We have the intellectual