one of these

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jYC14Tqicx4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Gypsy Woman
>worst track
Are you fucking retarded?

>Sweet Thing and Slim Slow Slider lowest rated
Those are the two best tracks on the album.

Template

fug, totally forgot about track 4 between 3 and 4
would have been a 7

You're right about all the songs you give 10s to but Statue Got Me High, See the Constellation, Turn Around, and Hypnotist of Ladies all deserve to be higher.

live version is 45000 times better

This was after the initial listen I think, I definitely enjoy this album a lot more after several listens, especially those songs, like a light 9 now

>not giving Turn Blue a 10

Nah more like 46000 desu

Why do you hate the last two tracks?

ITT: Plebs

not the poster, but i thought the overload didnt fit the mood of the album and i didnt really enjoy it as a single track either, i love listening wind though

They're boring. Listening Wind sounds like a cheesy 80's B-movie soundtrack. The Overload is a slow, monotonous, repetitive Joy Division rip off

boring rock pleb

sweet thing is too short
slim slow slider is too short and teases me with a free jazz ending without actually launching into free jazz which I would have loved

>first track worst
wut

>too short
that's such a stupid reason to criticize a track. Sweet Thing is perfect in every way and doesn't overstay its welcome.

Madame George and Astral Weeks are the best tracks *by far* OP is right on all of the tracks except Ballerina which should be slightly lower down

>boring rock pleb
lol ok

it's a great reason to criticise it. Sweet Thing is not perfect, it lacks what the longer ballads has, that is, chewing on the lines until they become almost mantra-like. It's such a boring song in comparison to a soulful ballad like Madame George, Sweet Thing is a catchy pop song with a bit of jazz influence in comparison to Madame George, don't kid yourself

you'll understand when you're older

you don't understand that what makes Astral Weeks great is that Van treats his voice fully like an instrument, it's basically like how Coltrane used his saxophone. Sweet Thing is simply not using that amazing talent to its fullest. Would Coltrane's rendition "My Favourite Things" be so amazing if he did not improvise and change it up in such interesting ways, something that could only be achieved by the sheer length of the what 12 minute track?

That's why the brevity of Sweet Thing is important. We have only a few "interpretations" of the lyrics, the length is not enough to set a mood, and certainly not enough to make a big impression. I like when he sings "Sweet Thing" and I like the instrumentation, that's why I give it an 8. But honestly I feel like even that's somewhat of a stretch.

You're doing the same thing as calling some top 40 pop song "perfect" because technically there's nothing out of place. Sure, Madame George, Astral Weeks, Cyprus Avenue, and Ballerina, The Way Young Lovers do actually have some slip ups in the instrumentation which slightly detract, but that's just a drop in the ocean compared to the intensity of the mood. 'Astral Weeks' is like rising up in a hot air balloon to the heavens, 'Madame George' much like saying goodbye on a train, very fitting for the ending. These tracks are unsurpassed in the mood they set. Sweet Thing is just too short to have that opportunity

Enjoy your pop music

Okay I see what you're saying, I was just fucking around really, I agree that Madame George and Astral Weeks (and also Cyprus Avenue) are the best tracks (TB Sheets might be my all time fav Van tho). But, given what you just said, why do you think Sing a Song for You is better than Gypsy Woman?

desu I think I should have put Sing a song for you on an 8 as well. Gypsy Woman is definitely not as good as, for example, Strange Feeling, as I feel like large portions of it are pointless and don't really fit the rest of the album. It's about as good because of its placement on the album, fits the rest of the feel, it's kind of like a lullaby I think. Gypsy Woman comes right after Dream Letter and Room 104, which is a devastating couple of tracks, and even the 2 minute build up for the guitar doesn't do enough to make Gypsy Woman stand out enough as a track. I'm still dwelling on those 2 and Gypsy Woman simply hasn't gripped me by the time it launches into its peak. As a stand alone track it's still very good, which is why I gave it an eight, and I like the afro-influenced beats, but I guess I'm just more into the jazzy and folky tracks like Strange Feeling, Buzzin' Fly, Room 104. If Gypsy Woman had a little more build up and a bit better placement on the album it would have been a 9. I think if it had come *after* Sing a song for you, it would have been a kick ass closer.

fixed that for ya

I see what you're saying, but it's just that in terms of using voice as an instrument, Gypsy Woman is the best showcase of that on Happy Sad. For me Sing a Song is just a little slight, almost like an afterthought after the hellfire that is Gypsy Woman. I agree flipping the two in the tracklist makes more sense.

>Sister Ray - 9
>The Gift - 10
TAKE IT BACK

I agree that Gypsy Woman is a great example of him using his voice as an instrument, possibly the best track on there apart from maybe Room 104

The Gift is hilarious, so I have to give it a 10. I love Cale's delivery, the nihilistic story, the double entendre (rough hands gripped his package) and the minimalist but noisy backings. Sister Ray is awesome but I have to concede that it feels just a little long for its own good as cool as it is, if it were say, 4 or 5 minutes shorter it would be perfect. The Gift remains one of my favourite TVU tracks

>Personal space invader
>10/10
Hell no, the second half of that track is pure cringe

Forgot to add scores lol

I have never taken heroin, but I imagine it feels like this album makes me feel

how is strap on that jammy pac only a 6?

forgot score again baka

Yeah that one should probably be higher, it's grown on me a lot.

you guys probably slipped on this one, but i think its his best release yet

4th track is 5th intro

idk why the title was gone fuq

I immediately regret not giving the very last track a 10.

I forgot about this album, will listen to it right now. It's truly great.

accurate
no

Beautiful album

I would have done Ys, but every track is a 10, which is no fun.

yup yup yup it's my go-to depression album for when I'm saaaaaaaaad and need a cheer up

>I would have done Ys, but every track is a 10, which is no fun.
I agree with this, but would have given In California and Baby Birch a 10. Jackrabbits and Autumn are way too low. I used to dislike Autumn, but it has grown on me after listening to the album a lot and now it's one of my favorites, especially lyrically.

Also, I started loving Ribbon Bows after listening to this version: youtube.com/watch?v=jYC14Tqicx4

secretly hiding patrician songs

pretty sure you forgot a song in there

Probably Supper's Ready, because there's no way someone wouldn't give it a 10.

Supper's Ready 9/10 WTF

Master song is a 10.

>sweet thing (one of the best songs on the album and best songs ever written)
>8
>beside you (the worst song on the album)
>9