DISCUSS

Was there any band after Nirvana that completely dominated and changed the culture?

Other urls found in this thread:

billboard.com/artist/277326/radiohead/chart
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Green Day? Not sure, after all Nirvana was the last universally acclaimed rock band.

nope

idk if you could say "dominated" the culture, but the strokes certainly had a heavy impact on what alternative/indie rock is today

Green Day doesn't even come close

>the strokes
my god can you hipster retards stop pretending these overhyped rejects did anything but one extremely overhyped album.

i mean, think they're shit all you want, but tons of indie bands and bedroom musicians cite them as an influence

Twenty One Pilots

Oldfag here. Nirvana didn't really dominate or change the culture. We thought of them as lightweights/poseurs.

They benefited greatly after the fact from a quasi-romantic 'suicide'.

Nope. Last real rock stars. Not a bad place to end it, really.

No.

>We thought of them as lightweights/poseurs.
Sure you did, kiddo.

Radiohead

Radiohead hasn't had a proper hit single, and no Creep which peaked in the 70's in the US does not count.

Grunge wasn't as big as you think it was.
It didn't change much and it certainly didn't dominate.

Kanye West

Nirvana existed at a time when new music came from the radio
their music is simple and repetitive and annoying after a while.
Radiohead would have done it if it was back then
Avenged sevenfold would have done it if it was back then

but record companies are pairing up with niggs and these bands run off entirely their own steam with little radio play

Marilyn Manson, 1996-1999

i always hear this, but what did they really do

Family Values tour they created alone sparked nu metals decade reign and gave even fringe applicants a stage. Incubus wouldn't have ever took off as well as every band ever to do that tour.

adding onto this, they hevily built on the sounds of lo-fi teenage angst.

Interpol?
idk
If you mean drastically change culture that doesn't mean much cause every kid around the world fucking dabs to that coon tune

Migos

Seriously

This is going to sound like a troll, but Gucci Mane is legitimately the most influential artist of the past 25 years.

damn, gotta admit he monopolized the media attention
glad the guy is a smart ass, didn't found anyone to take the baton

Justin Bieber not even joking.

yung lean

Kanye kind of did.
He just did stupid shit that is so stupid that it has to be on purpose for attention, and married the biggest attention whore on earth.

me

Amy Winehouse, maybe?
>releases a couple of fine albums
>rake in big bucks, excellent press and prizes
>addicted to booze and other drugs
>die an undignified death while the whole world believes she was an uncomprehended genius on her own

>tons of indie bands and bedroom musicians cite them as an influence
yes, BANDS found them influential, but if you go out onto the streets and ask someone if they know who the Strokes are, they'll likely have no fucking clue, but if you ask about Nirvana they'll get it, because Kurt Cobain is ingrained in culture. And we're talking about the impact on culture/society, not other musicians

bumpy

Your point still stands, but creep made it to the 30s on billboard
billboard.com/artist/277326/radiohead/chart

Eminem, not a band though.

Oasis, but only in the UK

this. holy shit they're like an invasive species. I don't really like them, but I feel like people don't appreciate how much better their new music is.

All pop music of today is "changing culture." Nirvana was pop music of the 90s, Justin Beiber is pop music of the 10's.