Why were Gen Xers and early millennials so much more angsty than earlier generations when it came to music?

Why were Gen Xers and early millennials so much more angsty than earlier generations when it came to music?

Other urls found in this thread:

vimeo.com/3554226
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latchkey_kid
youtube.com/watch?v=1wDyUU1-oek
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

a tough brute will get the wife

expressing emotion wasn't seen as feminine anymore i guess

constantly had to deal with psychological projection from baby boomers who saw the worst aspects of themselves in us as adolescents and couldn't stand it

where were you while we were getting high?

fucking dickhead poofy students listening to blur innit

ASPARAGUS FAMOSA!

We were a free generation, still enslaved.

vimeo.com/3554226

mark romanek is a fucking genius

Because they were raised by hippie beatnik boomers who made them think they were 'special and unique' when they really aren't.

This. There may have never been a generation in all of human history more buried up their own asshole.

god you faggots are gay

wow.
thats a pretty gay thing to say.

Who did the 90s better?

Statham > Grunge

rave was already dead in the 90s

Baby Boomers divorce at rates previously unseen in American (and probably World) history. See pic.

Gen-Xers were also the first generation to be raised in household where both parents worked, which prompted the "latchkey kid" phenomenon.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latchkey_kid

Combine that with chronic boredom and copious amounts of aggressive hard rock and heavy metal (all the "angsty" 90's musicians grew up on Black Sabbath, Kiss, Priest, Iron Maiden, etc) and you get angst.

Probably the best movie ever made about Gen-Xers. Good soundtrack, too.

youtube.com/watch?v=1wDyUU1-oek

Gen Xers were a generation where you'd often have far more dysfunctional families than any other before. It was even called "the latchkey generation" at one point. With this higher freedom, their emotional development is very independent from others in a sense. They grew up in a world where there was a desillusion towards government, many economic crashes and later in the peak liberalism of the 80s.

They were very rarely raised by helicopter parents, unlike the great majority of Millenials. The trade off for such an independence came in the form of having to deal with a boatload of emotion pretty much by yourself and with maybe some of your peers. Music is a great outlet. People like to have their emotions expressed by that. Think Radiohead, Nirvana, hell, most of the 90s rock scene would count, and so would the hip hop of that era, especially for a different demographic.

It's a very troubled generation in its history. It's already showing waves of that in the 80s - look at The Breakfast Club and other John Hughes movies. Art, especially music, was their outlet.

Interestingly enough, however filled with angst their songs were, they have shown to be so far the most stable, economically successful and emotionally satisfied generation so far and employing vastly different parenting methods (which are arguably more effective) to the baby boomers who preceeded them. I reckon they were onto something.

I know it's a bait pic but there was plenty of American trip-hop, and for what it's worth fucking Bush are English

>They were very rarely raised by helicopter parents

Yep. Not sure where the one poster got the idea that Boomer parents of Gen-Xers imparted "special snowflake" status onto their kids. They were too busy working and trying to keep up during the 80's rat-race.

But, yes, Boomers did eventually turn into helicopter parents, but it was a method more used toward their Millennial kids than their Gen-X kids.

I don't blame them, either. Boomer parents saw first hand who were succeeding in 80's Corporate America (college grads, socially sophisticated people with connections [thus the reason for all the extracurriculars], etc) and were just trying to give their children an advantage and maybe make up for not being there for their older Gen-X children..

Gen X is pretty much the one that would never would have become special snowflakes, honestly.

NOW THAT YOU'RE MINE, WE'LL FIND A WAY OF CHASING THE SUN

Did we strike a nerve? It's okay, it's not your fault, you can open up.

White guilt

And when they discovered this they instead met the world with a ironic and sardonic attitude. So the authors, musicians and artists millennials listened to sold us that nothing matters and that everything is ironic.

I'd say X'ers have fucked up millennials more than boomers have. Which is why I hate gen x'ers.

lol
nice 'science'

Gen X here

We were off our tits on E, no angst at all

god you people are dumb

Absent parents and all the bullshit surrounding them.