What is Sup Forums opinion on Frank Zappa?

What is Sup Forums opinion on Frank Zappa?

Is he overrated or a genius?

Will we ever see an artist like Frank in our lifetime?

Imo I think he was a bit of an asshole but confident in his art and opinions.

I admire his conservative and slightly progressive leaning ideology.

I also like that he fought for freedom of speech and fought against censorship from the government.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qwIrXOtZyvQ
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Zappa
youtube.com/watch?v=QcerKvzcyvQ&index=6&list=RDEMzLj7r-UoUfcHL-Z9KbYCuw
youtu.be/NuDLlgRuI6Y
youtube.com/watch?v=smZA9Jv3qH0&list=RDEMzLj7r-UoUfcHL-Z9KbYCuw&index=7
youtube.com/watch?v=cIDuE4U_fZg
youtube.com/watch?v=a3C4AVbqyY8
youtu.be/-Jh6wnmRbvQ
youtube.com/watch?v=IDE9MC3jnl0&list=PL65E2BFB88DC87EB6
youtu.be/cy4KU0bWrbc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

frank is s nigga

I called a radio station up to tell them never to play that Frank Zappa song again.

I don't get it.

0/10 would not download.

i like his last name

well without him we soulnt have Alice cooper, so theres that

Frank Zappa was an incredible genius, who spent his genius on trollsy music and absurd humour. As a musician, he was and is unparalleled.

totally legit

youtube.com/watch?v=qwIrXOtZyvQ

His music is fucking boring as shit. Plus, it has no edge, no balls.

very well said

Frank was the definition of a professional. He was so prolific and he ran his operation so tightly his band rehearsed all day until they nailed every god damn note. Also to be as subversive as he was back then is a pretty big deal. He was absolutely no joke and probably one of the best musicians humanity has ever had. I mean that seriously. Before he died he was just getting into computers and stuff so it would have been cool to see all the shit he would have done. Too bad he couldn't have found his butt cancer soon enough.

You're either trolling or retarded.

You might think his music is boring, but for the time when it was released it was unique and very different.

Also Frank Zappa influenced a degree of post modern art and music in Central Europe during the cold war. The first president of Czechslovkia was a huge a fan of Frank Zappa and wanted to make Frank as an ambassador to the new country after the wall fell.

>to be as subversive as he was back then
how? vietnam?

literally who?

Well the shit he'd say on his albums was totally controversial and he took on Tipper Gore and the FCC Google it. He's super articulate in stating his case. Without guys like Zappa and Jello Biafra taking on censorship we may have a different music scene today.

Call any vegetable, and the chances are good, that a vegetable will respond to you.

OP here fuck Jello, I respect the Kennedys but he shorted my dad on payment for Art.

His lyrics were very "monkey cheese like totes rando" - which seems very quaint and try-hard today.

thx

> It is my understanding that, in law, First Amendment issues are decided with a preference for the least restrictive alternative. In this context, the PMRC's demands are the equivalent of treating dandruff by decapitation.
good image

great guitar player and songwriter, a bit like Jimi Hendrix but more experimental

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Zappa

Is your dad Winston Smith?

No, but he was an artist/painter active in California scene in the 70s/80s.

>Frank Zappa- Why Does It Hurt When I Pee?
cancer?

Test

low energy meme

though he has a way with words

Is that fuckin Morrowind?

he looks like ross in rachels prom

TV dinners by the pool,
I'm so glad I stayed in school.

The idiot bastard son.
His father's a Nazi in Congress today,
his mother's a hooker somewhere in L.A.

What is the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
and some say your toes
but I think it's your mind.

And that's just from memory. It's easy to have opinions about things you don't understand, isn't it?

He also made the first digital movie, 200 Motels.

is this supposed to be an example of good lyrics? lmao. read a book. read some great poetry. this is shit writing.

>dad a chemist and mathematician for Defense
>maybe poisoned by mustard gas

Frank, the eldest of four children, was raised in an Italian-American household where Italian was often spoken by his grandparents.[10][11] The family moved often because his father, a chemist and mathematician, worked in the defense industry. After a time in Florida in the 1940s, the family returned to Maryland, where Zappa's father worked at the Edgewood Arsenal chemical warfare facility of the Aberdeen Proving Ground. Due to their home's proximity to the arsenal, which stored mustard gas, gas masks were kept in the home in case of an accident.[12] This had a profound effect on Zappa, and references to germs, germ warfare and the defense industry occur throughout his work.[13]

lel

I want a Nasty little Jewish princess
>Shalalala
With a garlic aroma that can level to coma

Check YouTube. It should have some of his presentations before Congressional committees. It does have his appearance on the Steve Allen Show, so tongue-in-cheek you'd think he swallowed it.

youtube.com/watch?v=QcerKvzcyvQ&index=6&list=RDEMzLj7r-UoUfcHL-Z9KbYCuw

Suzy Creamcheese!
Ooh, baby.

Considering Zap is an unconvicted pedophile, I only think he is a POS

His lyrics aren't the strong suit of his music but they were still fuckin great. Listen to this and tell this guy wasn't a musical genius.

youtu.be/NuDLlgRuI6Y

Best album

No, it's a game I'm working on. Trying to make a decent webm of gameplay.

>What is Sup Forums opinion on Frank Zappa?

Original and a genius.

Dweezil has been touring playing Frank's songs and he sounds amazing. Po'Jama People, live!

>His lyrics aren't the strong suit
In point of fact, his lyrics are more approachable than a lot of his musical experiments, as when East Bay Grease meets Edgard Varèse.
People stopped setting Petrarch to music five centuries ago. Lyrics are much more iambic these days. About the only poetic lyricist anymore is Robert Hunter.

did he die?

Google is your friend.

love his music

I prefer one like this. youtube.com/watch?v=smZA9Jv3qH0&list=RDEMzLj7r-UoUfcHL-Z9KbYCuw&index=7

In the video you posted, link to didtheyreallydie.com

What the fuck are you on about? Other than that snafu in the 1960s with that stag recording, I don't think he was ever in hot water with the fuzz.

He resented having to put vocals over music in the first place. That's half the reason his lyrics are so weird. He was trolling

What the fuck am -I- on about? Found the fake zappa fan here...

[citation needed]

Who the fuck is this idiot?

samefagging all over the place

I love all his stuff man, everything from hot rats to letter. His lyrics are some of the few that'll I'll sing aloud at random times, even though I haven't heard the tune in ages. Montana actually pops in my head a lot. It's still absurd and he was more about speaking through his notes than vocally imo. He even ends up talking rather than singing in so many of his songs.

Surprised these fags even know this guy.

*slow claps*

*steps out of the shadows*

Heh... not bad, kid. Not bad at all. Your meme, I mean. It's not bad. A good first attempt. It's plenty dank... I can tell it's got some thought behind it... lots of quotable material...

But memeing isn't all sunshine and rainbows, kid. You're skilled... that much I can tell. But do you have what it takes to be a Memester? To join those esteemed meme ranks? To call yourself a member of the Ruseman's Corps? Memeing takes talent, that much is true. But more than that it takes heart. The world-class Memesters - I mean the big guys, like Johnny Hammersticks and Billy Kuahana - they're out there day and night, burning the midnight meme-oil, working tirelessly to craft that next big meme.

And you know what, kid? 99 times out of a hundred, that new meme fails. Someone dismisses it as bait, or says it's "tryhard," or ignores it as they copy/paste the latest shitpost copypasta dreamt up by those sorry excuses for cut-rate memers over at reddit. The Meme Game is rough, kid, and I don't just mean the one you just lost :^). It's a rough business, and for every artisan meme you craft in your meme bakery, some cocksucker at 9gag has a picture of a duck or some shit that a million different Johnny No-Names will attach a milion different captions to. Chin up, kid. Don't get all mopey on me. You've got skill. You've got talent. You just need to show your drive.

See you on the boards...

He had moments of genius. His kids are actually more talented than he was. But frank was definitely a musical genius. Just don't let him speak.

I believe we will see an artist like frank zappa in our lifetime. His name was Frank Zappa, and he was an artist in my lifetime.

You keep talking about him in the current tense. You are aware he's dead, right?

>ends up talking rather than singing
not unlike late works of serge gainsbourg...
youtube.com/watch?v=cIDuE4U_fZg

hahahaha im a troll but not the same dude learn how to Sup Forums newfag

I can take about an hour on the tower of power, as long as I get a little golden shower..

youtube.com/watch?v=a3C4AVbqyY8

OP, I re read my post I know he has passed, I didnt use any grammar that alluded he was alive.

Also the reason I started this post is my middle name is Zappa my parents named me after him, I was born exactly a year he died, well he passed Dec 4th 1993 but I was born Dec 5 1994.

Showed up to say exactly this. I dunno about the latest lineup, I saw about a dozen shows with the Bozzio-Vai-Nappy and Ray White lineups. The band is fantastic and Dweezil has both his dad's technique and his sound *down*.

Frank Zappa was out of his fucking mind. Pissing on robots???

youtu.be/-Jh6wnmRbvQ

bump

That looks fun, what happened to the soul and art in music?

>the absolute madman

this sounds like a gay in-joke and if this is indicative of the music or the community that's built around it, I'm sure I would loathe it.

this album seems easier to get into youtube.com/watch?v=IDE9MC3jnl0&list=PL65E2BFB88DC87EB6

fuck, supposed to be a playlist of the album.

I think Frank was a comedic and musical genius

youtu.be/cy4KU0bWrbc

"i hear the sound of marching feet...
Down sunset boulevard to crescent heights
...and there...at pandora's box...
We are confronted with...a vast
Quantity of...plastic people..."
Take a day and walk around
Watch the nazi's run your town
Then go home and check yourself, You think we're singing
'bout someone else

Probably one his catchiest lyrical tracks, but I enjoy it.

are you from 2004?

the fuck is with those outdated everythings

"Strictly Commercial" might be easier for people to get into.

Either that or "Sheik Yerbouti" (as an earlier user said) or "Joe's Garage."