/cc/ - Criterion Collection

What movie from the criterion collection have you seen recently or plan on seeing soon?

What movies do you think should be added to the collection?

What is your favorite piece of physical media from the criterion collection? As in, which DVD they produced, including the supplementary material that comes along with it, such as the booklet and bonus feature disc, is your favorite? For example, Seven Samurai's criterion DVD release is my favorite I have because of all the bonus material, like the booklet full of essays and the bonus disc which is even longer than the movie itself.

The work of Wong Kar-Wai.

It took me an eternity to get around to watching his stuff because I had false preconceptions but holy shit, he's absolute kinography.

Nip post war. It's all goat

I have had In the Mood for Love on my watchlist for ages. I hear nothing but good things about it.

I watched Repulsion by Polanski today and was totally blown away. 10/10 better than Rosemary's Baby.

>tfw no old Korine has been made criterion or even reissued on dvd/bluray yet

Have you seen Woman in the Dunes? I'm not that big of a fan of asian cinema, but I randomly watched that on hulu's cc one day when I still had hulu, and it was surprisingly very good, but a little too long.

its a masterpiece. utterly gorgeous in every moment, perfectly paced, simply told but amazingly acted in a somewhat subdued manner. its not melodramatic like many other cinematic love stories

literally watch it tonight user

>better than Rosemary's Baby

Rosemary is one of the movies that got me into films so I hate admitting this.

The Rock

Michael Bay is a genius!

I got the CC version of If... and was a little disappointed by what it has to offer. The booklet obviously has a lot of interesting things to say, being written by an assortment of essayists and critics, but its so bland compared to what I've seen from cc before. Disc 2 barely has things connected to the movie. Really shouldn't have expected much from a barely talked about movie. On the flip side, I've gotten the cc version of RoboCop and absolutely love it. First off, its the unrated director's cut, which is the only way RoboCop should be watched. But the booklet for it is great, full of illustrations and great essays. I'm guessing cc knew RoboCop was gonna sell more.

I think I'm just a pleb. I watched a lot of criterion movies and didn't care for too many of them. But that was a long time ago, maybe I should revisit. I distinctly remember not enjoying Bergman or Kieslowski.

are you me

Start off with Eraserhead.

Love Eraserhead. All Lynch really.

>tfw you own the Criterion Chungking Express

Is Criterion really special or just pretentious bullshit?

Sweet Smell of Success was pretty excellent

Im going to watch Fat Girl , watched seventh seal few days ago and I thought it was neat.
I was thinking of watching the decalogue , I was wondering how was the pacing .Because im still a pleb but my focus has improved greatly.
I would appreciate some film recommendations , some films I have enjoyed on the past have been
>early Malick
>12 angry men
>all of Kubrick
>rear window
>universal horror monsters
>daisies
Thanks beforehand Sup Forums bros

Unlike Arrow, Criterion shit is not limited, right?

Repulsion is incredible. I wouldn't say it's better than Rosemary but it's more stylish and fun to watch.

Clearly it's pretentious bullshit, some of the films even have subtitles, are black and white, or are silent.

Criterion are really special in their reproduction of older films and adding lots of extra features to them. Other then that, they don't create the films.

>Boyhood and Beyond the Valley of the Dolls are being added to the Criterion Collection
for what reason
>What movies do you think should be added to the collection?
Akira, Ernest & Celestine, Total Recall, Inglorious Basterds, West Side Story, Falling Angels, City of God, Back to the Future, Menace 2 Society, The Land Before Time, End of Evangelion

no, i just finished kurosawa and am working through ozu right now

I meant is their selection pretentious bullshit.

OP, got Carnival of Souls and House from Criterion and both were well worth the money. Getting Beyond the Valley of the Dolls this month.

Yes user, the thousands of the most influential films ever made are all pretentious bullshit.

How many times have you gone to see Suicide Squad?

>Boyhood, Rushmore, Bottle Rocket, Hausu, Flesh for Frankenstein, Quadrophenia, Frances Ha, Blue is the Warmest Color, Valerie and Her Week of Wonder, and Michael Bay's The Rock are amongst the most influential films ever made

I take it you don't enjoy the films of spike jonze

If those are the ones you consider "pretentious" then you're taste in film is worst then I thought.

Decalogue is coming soon

What's your point faggot, Criterion gotta pay the bills too

The Criterion Collection is pretentious and their selections are biased.
Being a part of the Criterion Collection doesn't actually mean anything, but people act like it does.

>Pretentious
Why don't you learn a new word before you crack off your next post

I want Criterion release of Citizen Kane.

I am wondering what is daisies?
Also, for recs, there is only 1 you actually need to see: Love Exposure

Blow-up desperately needs blu-ray release

>Being a part of the Criterion Collection doesn't actually mean anything, but people act like it does.

???

they release movies, it's not the national film registry. i don't think anyone has any illusions about fucking Armageddon because it has a CC release

No film as ever put me in such a transcendent state.

Criterion should put out NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD since it's the most important Horror film in history.

They aren't big on horror. I wish they would release more horror flicks, there are lots of artsy ones.

Armageddon

Michael Bay is a genius!

Not really, have you not noticed the Michael Bay shitposting in this thread? Because they've distributed Michael Bay movies if that's more your taste.

Bay is a legitimate good director.

It's funny how Criterionkids always get baited into 'we are not pretentious' by shitting on Bay (proving the point in fact that they're pretentious)

Good releases though! Old remaster, yay!

The best.

Im so happy that Punch-Drunk Love is finally getting a bluray release. Even happier that its a criterion bluray release

Just watched: Tess
Next: Solaris
After: Brazil

Should be added: Russian Ark

I unironically think it's his best and one of the best romantic films of all time

Getting into Bergman films and just watched this yesterday. It was a great film, anyone know some other good Bergman films

I agree. Its my favorite movie of all time and i never thought it would get a criterion.

>their selections are biased.
why are they biased?

>Akira, Ernest & Celestine, Total Recall, Inglorious Basterds, West Side Story, Falling Angels, City of God, Back to the Future, Menace 2 Society, The Land Before Time, End of Evangelion
this HAS to be bait

>their selections are biased.
laughing irl right now

Where were you when Criterion finally decide to release a true masterpiece?

Did you watch the theatrical or television version?

As for other Bergman movies, try The Seventh Seal or Persona. Both are pretty different from one another.

Stalker and the Before Trilogy. Best be out by Christmas

The television version and I'll look into those films

It's being released in blu ray this month

It has been out for a few weeks already, bro. Where do you think I'm getting these images from?

10/10

After Hours
Sydney
Raise the Red Lantern
Happiness

Forgot about that. Holy fuck the image looks so clear.

Check out this info by a few blokes on some forum, release may be coming, still unsure:

"Artificial Eye is primarily a distribution company. There is simply no way Mosfilm would ever license any Tarkovsky film to them, not when they've (only recently) begun to treat Tarkovsky and Einstein's films as important works of Russian culture that must be preserved. That Criterion were ever allowed to do Ivan's Childhood is an anomaly.

Anyway, very happy with all the effort Mosfilm has clearly put into these Tarkovsky restorations, regardless of what some uninformed people on the Internet may think."

"To summarise: The Artificial Eye Blu-ray doesn't look any better than the Japanese one - same master, with an additional gamma error. None of the new Mosfilm restorations have been licensed to Artificial Eye.

Criterion, however, is currently streaming a version of this film on their new Filmstruck beta that looks better than any other edition. It's quite possible that Criterion has licensed the new restoration from Mosfilm, meaning a Criterion blu-ray is very possible.

A Mosfilm blu-ray is inevitable too."

Pic related, Criterion filmstruck beta.

Planning on getting Badlands soon. Stranger than Paradise needs a blu ray release already

I watched half of Persona last night, got interrupted so I couldn't finish it but I honestly wasn't too enamored with what I saw. Does it change significantly in the second half? Call me a pleb but honestly not much seemed to happen in the first half.

Yeah, I know about the filmstruck restoration. It's already finished, just not released on physical media yet

Also, as soon as it's out of beta I'll gladly pay for filmstruck

>Not much happened
Please, even if you know you're a pleb don't say shit like this

It gets crazier at the second half, at least in terms of how Bergman edits it. The first half is to warm you up and learn about the characters and observe how they interact with each other. The whole point of the movie, in my opinion, is to show the extend of the insanity of the relationship between two leads.

The pacing was slow; the plot developed relatively little in the 45 minutes I watched.

Thanks. This sounds interesting. Will finish it tonight.

My favorite is something I stumbled across on Encore movie channel once, believe it or not. "Au Revoir, les Enfants." Great coming of age story of friends in WWII. Found out it was in the collection, and was really excited to watch it again.

Also, The 400 Blows, of fucking course.

Then, in alphabetical order,

- Bicycle Thieves
- Boyhood (did yall know this took 12 YEARS to make?)
- The Darjeeling Limited
- Dr. Strangelove
- Fantastic Mr. Fox
- The Graduate
- A Hard Day's Night
- Harlan County USA
- Inside Llewyn Davis
- CBD's King of Kings
- The Last Temptation of Christ
- Lord of the Flies
- The Most Dangerous Game
- Pan's Labyrinth
- The Passion of Joan of Arc
- Rosemary's Baby
- Silence of the Lambs
- Yojimbo
- Y tu Mama Tambien

Great films. Great collection. Too bad each film on Bluray is like $40 a piece.

>what is daisies
It's a Czech new wave feminist film from 1966 about 2 girls who get sick of social norms and standards for women (and normal people in general) so they start doing whatever they like. It's very gorgeous looking with tons of colors, screen filters and insane surrealist editing.

I've seen it on many people's favorite lists and I can understand why, but honestly I can't get over how annoying and bitchy they are. I'm also one of those people who absolutely hates ASMR-like stuff, and the movie has a lot of loud mouth noises, whispers and so on so it just made my skin crawl. I know that's the whole point, but making a movie frustrating to watch on purpose doesn't mean I should force myself to enjoy it. I have similar feelings towards Valerie's Week of Wonders.
I say check em out, maybe you'll like them. They're both very important films so you should at least appreciate them for what they are, even if you don't like them.

>mfw when you live in a country with shit currency exchange rate and no access to Criterion

Seventh seal is alright but its my least favourite Bergman along with
Through a Glass Darkly. I would recommend Autumn Sonata, Persona, Wild Strawberries. I havent seen any other Bergman.
As for criterion collection i would be glad if they added Bela Tarr films.

East European films rarely get released on Criterion, they don't make enough money compared to Armageddon and shit.

>All these crap vanilla Criterioncore taste
This is no better than IMDBdrone

I understand why criterion is hated on Sup Forums:

1. their bantz. Every blue moon they add something ridiculous to the collection like Armageddon - which pisses off tryhard particians by demolishing their front of "seriousness" and artistic integrity

2. Having artsy covers and being severly overpriced makes criterion dvds the perfect hipster product and hipsters their main clientel - which pisses off Sup Forums for obvious reasons

Personally I don't care all that much about the brand but I admire their dedication for movies which clearly exists and sets them apart from other distributers: I watched the hidden fortress criterion for instance and not only was the remastered visual stunning but the commentary track very insightfull and entertaining.

>overpriced
But most of the times the Criterion version of a film is the best quality one, and often it's the only edition of the movie to be distributed in mass by a mainstream company. Not to mention how the only blu-ray versions of some films are made by them.

I think their prices are usually fair, considering how much effort they put into it. Also despite the appearances, they're actually a pretty small company, and for a small company to only deal with niche products at a cheap price is certain death. That's why they sometimes release mainstream films too.

>Inglorious Basterds
stopped reding there

why would you add this kill yourself goddamn

They are overrated because they only release films that are guaranteed to make lots of money and shun everything that was not made in either West Europe/Japan/USA.

This kino just arrived

oh my god that movie (au revoir) was so heartbreaking, i caught it on TV some time ago as well. why'd you have to fucking turn around, kid. apparently it was somewhat based on the experiences of the director as a child. truly unthinkable

But the Apu Trilogy was one of the biggest deals in recent CC release history.

It was one of the greatest endings ever, shit gets really crazy in the second half.

Just bought this and Suzuki's other big film, Branded to Kill. They're coming in today. I'd like to see Fighting Elegy get the Blu-ray treatment, and I wished that Branded to Kill came with Pistol Opera but ah well.

Suzuki's style of movie making is among some of my favorites, and as such I'd like to see more films in the same vein as his get added to the collection. Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai, and the reprinting of Jon Woo films especially.

The best Criterion extra is Picnic at Hanging Rock's dual format that comes with a goddamn paperback novel.

>What movies do you think should be added to the collection?

Where's Jack? (1969)
The One That Got Away (1957)

>Where's Jack? (1969)
>The One That Got Away (1957)

seconding these.
where's jack is so fucking good.

I just watched Chimes at Midnight last night to find out it had a Criterion release recently. It's worth a rewatch though.

the bfi collection has loads of ealing comedy remasters (which are fantastic) but hardly any ww2 films and other genres.

why do you think so

nice

I wish I had the money for it.
I really want to pick up few titles.

They release every movie Wes Anderson makes.

Where can I download Criterion films

tfw you own both itfml and chungking

I think he has some partnership with them and helps finance the company.

>look up the price for Chungking Express on eBay
>it's $450

Should I sell my copy?