Ok so I just had a crazy idea...

Ok so I just had a crazy idea. If its so difficult to travel long distances through space while still having human interaction, why don't we just turn the entire planet into a spaceship.

Stay with me.

This would obviously take centuries to be ready for let alone prepare for it. But lets say we have technology that can kick us out of the suns orbit, and propel us through space via a planet?

Now the big question is, how do we sustain life on the planet? I say we prepare a grid off interconnected batteries that absorb the energy of our sun and those that we may come in contact with. Those batteries would act as an energy source to create artificial lighting for plant growth and what not.

That would be impressive enough for humanity to pull off.

I'd be better just to build an opened Dyson sphere on our sun, turn the sun into a spaceship then just get dragged along with it.

Or perhaps, a Halo?

But who would win the sun or 1 trilllion lions?

My dick always wins.

We'd keep all of the resources in our solar system and get to keep our free source of fusion power.

Check out
"Shkadov Thrusters"

Halos come with material stress and having to readjust constantly issues. I figure Halos would be a type 2s way of saying "look at this cool thing I can create"

Lions just make the Sun stronger!

but I guess it also shortens its lifespan...

wouldn't the Dyson sphere collapse on itself due to the gravity, at least with a halo you can spin the weight around the sun.

>why don't we just turn the entire planet into a spaceship.

The planet already is a spaceship, you fucking retard.

The easiest way would be to create a sort of Dyson swarm of trillions of stations orbiting the Sun. A halo would have the same weaknesses as a sphere, although it would be a bit easier to correct.

Go read about Pierson's Puppeteers.

easy man, why are you so angry? My thought was that we should maybe be able to fly it where we want.

a halo would work significantly better, because all the momentum travels on the same plane. In a sphere, the further in you go, the slower it moves and thus creating a significant amount of force inwards.

Checkout planetship on steam

that is my unprofessional assumption I may be completely wrong.

an engine or multiple engines to move the whole planet,all at once,or harnessing gravity, mass
,propulsion on a scale we barely rate a chicks height,

out into far space no sun,we lose the protection of the large planets from stadium sized rocks,radiation,

huh, thank you, added to wishlist. Seems like a quirky game that presents a completely new perspective to gaming.

Geometry isn't my strong suit, so you might be right? Not sure.

I am pretty sure that both would be a poor choice for a fledgling space empire to build.

Yeah, it's a bit light on content but still fun.

Assuming we make earth a "spaceship" is to assume we would move away from the sun more than likely the moon as well as it has a stronger gravitational pull on it by the sun than by the earth. Moving Earth away from either would destabilize our planet. Tides would radically shift, tectonic plates would shift differently causing massive amount of destruction to literally everything on our planet.

Risk humanity for space travel? Yeah come back when you aren't high.

What if we tried to use the energy in the core of the planet to somehow propel us in a certain direction. We could build a volcanic like structure.

This is a dumb thread about a dumb idea and you should feel dumb.

I am really high though.

Being stoned is the best time to think about space

OP here. My man...

well, not if we correct for those issues somehow. Something in the future may allow us to do so.

In addition the those monolithic fucking problems.. You want essentially a super-solar grid to absorb sunlight but as soon as we get as far as Neptune, there will be next to no light reaching us at all. Past our solar system assuming we don't pull any of the billions of asteroids surrounding our solar system crashing into us there will be no light even if we're somehow traveling the speed of light.. For a very long time. The batteries would need to sustain power for years before we would reach another star capable of powering our solar systems. If we aren't traveling the speed of light, just going as fast as our fastest current rocket.. You're talking thousands of years.

I'm thinking that anything we do with the core will have worse effects than what we're trying to achieve.

Always good to meet a fellow stoner space bro

Are you familiar with the Youtube channel LEMMiNO?

He does amazing videos and he has a long series on Space and Random space facts. Quality information equivalent to channels like Vsauce, and Veritasium

>Quality information equivalent to channels like Vsauce
>quality
>Vsauce

Thinking about space and astrophysics should make you feel a little dumb. If it doesn't then you simply don't know enough about it.

Vsauce is Quality information. No doubt about it. He just appeals to a younger audience compared to other channels.

>knowing more about a subject makes you feel more dumb.

Yeah, I enjoy his videos, they feel a bit light though.

Check out Issac Arthur, he goes really in-depth about all sorts of neat things. You kind of need a base understanding of the topic though or he can lose you real fast.

This was a really stupid thought OP.

this is very inciting.

Thanks for your honest opinion.

You're welcome, idiot.

Holy jesus dude. This is the channel I have been looking for. Im watching the one on Quantum computing and he actually really knows his shit comparative to what I know.

It's really cool stuff. I love his megastructure and Fermi paradox series.

why don't you just put your house on wheels and drive it up north to go camping?

It would share apart, lose access to power and everything in the tanks would freeze when you get far enough north.

I love your question.

Bad analogy. RVs, trailer homes.

My house is not yet designed to be able to do that. Maybe 1000 years from now houses will be modular and portable.

It would be pretty similar to living in an RV in the middle of the Arctic circle, except that it's constantly hailing rocks.

A planetship would require a vast alternate fuel source to even start to be viable

........................................................................... I want to kill myself when people dont read the entire post. I presented possible solutions for fuel sources and sustainability.

Your "possible solution" is to built a giant grid using solar energy, despite that fact that we would be moving away from the Sun. Are you legitimately retarded?

My solution, among others that you have still failed to read, was that we would obviously have to move a pretty quickly through space to find another light source, during the time in between, we survive off of stored energy.

I mentioned that something like this was not even remotely possibly within the next few centuries but technology does change faster than we know what its capable of.

But you do realize that there are paradigm shifts in life that present unrivaled solutions to problems we didn't even know existed.

So before you come into a thread shit talking people who simply want to have a relatively civil conversation understand that what you think you know is not what may really be.

You sound like a 13 year old stoner who has watched battlestar galactica for the first time. Why don't you send an email to NASA with this idea of yours? They work hard and could use a good laugh.

And you sound like a miserable fuck that doesn't enjoy his life.

Just because I'm smart enough to recognize a dumb idea doesn't make me miserable. Nice job trying to deflect to me because your ideas are stupid.

>technoLOGy

Where do you get your drugs? Can I have his number? I'm very serious

Medical weed, the finest dank I ever smoked.

I left the thread for like 10min...

I'm the second poster~

Modern batteries would never work, you'd need like "quantum, extra-dimensional energy transistors" or some other futuristic chain of fancy words like that. Batteries are generally never viable solutions and can seem kinda silly when suggested.

It's not not possible, just "on the way" power sources like fusion make it a hell of a lot more realistic and easier to talk about

Black swans are not really worth talking about

I love the fact that I can go to a store to buy weed now, what a wonderful time to be alive

Ok I let me lay out a pretense. With our modern resources and tools, nothing is even capable of doing so. I never assumed that the batteries we have today are capable of doing that. But Battery is a word for storage and in the future, storage will be better in one way or another.

Maybe with a better understanding of the quantum? again, this gets into black swan territory and hits on the fact that we don't know the limits of technology.

With our current technology, we could brute force a Dyson swarm. The key word here is brute force, it wouldn't be elegant or time efficient, but we could do it. Turning us into a planet ship wouldn't even be Bruteforce-able at the moment, there's just too much shit to worry about.

Now once we figure out anti-gravity or wormholes this becomes way more viable but again, this hits on the first point I made.

we should turn africa into a giant jet

Funfact:

In the german sci-fi novel series "Perry Rhodan", the longest ongoing book series in the world (started 1962), the eponymous hero gets send to the planet 'Barkon'. A gravitational catastrophe slung the barkon system out of the milky way a million years ago. The barkonids ('Barkoniden') spent hundreds of years turning their whole planet into a giant spaceship to return to their mother galaxy. The hero manages to fix a problem in the engine, which otherwise would have released all the energy intended for the travel in one giant bang. The barkonids nearly succeed in their plan to travel the 150.000 lightyears.

Huh very interesting, I will probably forget this by tomorrow.

Neat

Do you even know what the word quantum means lol?

>a better understanding of the Quantum

you mean a better understanding of counting numbers?

we could use use Brazil and Australia as wings.

Well, I meant 'quantum dynamics', but what I typed also works... Any sort of quantum physics really

oh im sure.

Do you? If so you'd realize how a better understanding of our universes fundamental laws would help us in spaceflight

I'm not sure what you're getting at here? I'd love to banish your ignorance given you're wise enough to show it.

This is retarded as fuck. So these batteries are going to heat the planet? Or did you not know that the sun provides both heat and light?

>Why are watches at $ 0?

what would you do with the people who dont want to be propeld through space?

I'm sure scientists will never know...

Well the remaining population will need lotsa food to survive in between stars~

How would it stop?

Magic, the same way the rest of OPs retarded shot will work.

The same way it started I'd imagine

We turn the USA into a giant jet

Kill them all and recycle them for fuel.

Your an idiot OP if we move far away enough from the zone we will freeze to death

Sun* not zone

Invader Zim already did this

We know for a fact that there is telluric planets wandering in space, some people say life can be sustained underground if the whole surface is hermetic. But it is very unlikely

What if like...we turned the planet into a spaceship

can someone explain what he meant by this quote (if its even real).

It would be life similar to whats around our geothermal vents in the ocean. They'd do quite fine during OPs interstellar trip

get your head outta your ass

Read the singularity by Ray Kurzweil. Intergalactic travel will be accomplished in the 5th epoch after biological a.i. Is phased unto non biological a.i. And begin to transform all matter of the universe into one sentient being. But we will not need to rocket propell earth anywhere.. That's fucking nonsense.

Poop

Emotional machines by like 2024 or something right?

Couldn't they have used another term besides singularity? I bet those that study black holes hate him.

Farewell fellow spacebros