I need to start a new anti-stress/anxiety medication and my doc is giving me some lee way since there are so many types

I need to start a new anti-stress/anxiety medication and my doc is giving me some lee way since there are so many types.

What should I go on as a mid-20s man whose stress has destroyed his immune system and left him bed-ridden for a month?

Any meds I should try to stay away from?

>inb4 meditation, yoga
I was doing that everyday prior to this and plan to continue doing it after starting the meds

Stay away from anti psychotics. Try remeron

how are the withdrawals?
any side effects?

also why stay away from antipsychotics?

bump

bump

bump xd

Have you tried benzos (klonopin, xanax, etc)? Propranolol?

thanks fam

no, aren't those a bit hard?

Not really - klonopin is nice as it reduces anxiety and has muscle relaxing properties. Propranolol helps with physical symptoms of anxiety/panic attacks. A lot of stage performers use propranolol to help negate physical symptoms of anxiety/panic.

This
They are only hard if you don't need them. For you, they will make your anxiety tolerable and your thoughts stop rushing.

>Sauce: 10mg valium a day for anxiety

what's your experience with them?

>rushing thoughts
how do you know if it's ADHD or just stress?

If you stress or you are anxious, you concentrate on the same thing too much. You replay conversations you've had with people over and over to pick your flaws. Shit like that.

Huh. Would anxiety/stress meds improve my memory? I feel like when I take college tests my mind can't recall shit and the harder I try the farther out of my reach the memory becomes.

Also can doctors prescribe all the meds a psychologist would be able to prescribe?

Klonopin .5mg - 2mg twice daily, and propranolol 10-20mg 3x daily prn (as needed). Was on these from 17y/o up until 4 months ago (7-8 years), decided to stop since I need to get on pain medication for severe back pain [didn't want to mix, and pain meds help with my anxiety, albeit I could still get a script for antianxiety meds alongside pain meds, jusr chose not to].

They are quite helpful, way more helpful than SSRIs and antipsych meds they tried putting me on (SSRIs messed me up emotionally, and antipsych meds sent me to the hospital twice [dystonia or EPS, cant remember which]).

There are anxiety forums for people discussing dealing with anxiety/panic attacks, medication recommendations, diet tips, etc. You should google "anxiety forums" - it might help you. Also wikipedia, webmd, and drugs com list medications, interactions, side effects, etc. Don't scare yourself with side effects too much, you can talk to your dr about the side effects concern. I never experienced any side effects on klonopin nor on propranolol.

Good luck, hope it works out.

Actually...

Anxiety meds lead to short term memory loss. You can remember super important shit, be cool as a cucumber, and ace tests. You just have to fight the memory loss. The tradeoff is that you aren't so anxious.

Depends where you are and who your doctor is.

Agreed.
It is quite possible that extended and/or long term use of benzos can lead to certain forms of [short term] memory loss. Wouldn't hurt to take days off (say not going out anywhere, staying inside, etc - like weekends), or use less on some days where anxiety isn't as bad. Be sure to have a healthy diet, excersize, fish oil/vitamins, don't abuse/overuse benzos, don't mix with alcohol.

I'm not sure if beta blockers (propranolol, etc), cause memory loss?

thanks very much m8

just the hard stuff like xanex? was on effexor for about 3 years now. Came off a few months ago

is propranolol the kind of thing you can skip days taking or is it something you have to take like an SSRI, everyday?

Any benzo

From my experience, you can skip taking propranolol, there is no "build up phase" like ssris/maois/antipsychs. Propranolol is generally always prescribed as a PRN (use/take as needed), so I'm assuming that can include skipping doses if you feel like the situation doesn't call for it. There was a period in time where I didn't feel I needed all 3 doses each day, and sometimes on the weekends (home body), so I had quite a quantity of them saved up - which helped when I had to switch psychiatrists, or couldn't pay for my scripts some months.

Obviously you should read up on propranolol online, from wikipedia/webmd to user experiences on anxiety forums, as well as consulting your dr about it.

did you notice any improvement in thinking clarity? or was it primarily emotional improvements?

Improvement due to the fact I could be at school, work, social events without entering the spiral of anxiety > paranoia > panic attack feelings - since I wasn't able to focus (tests, class work, busy work/social events) with anxiety/stress.

start drinking
heavily
that oughta take the edge off

my liver is shot as of right now due to my failing immune system otherwise I would take up drinkin and smokin

perhaps the lack of focus stems from my illness then. Anyway, thanks friend

No problem, hope it works out for you dude, anxiety/panic attacks/stress/depression is awful, and I can't even imagine your situation - best of luck.

well that sucks
smoke some weed then

My obsessively religious mother is being nice and taking care of me. She thought catnip was weed she's so paranoid of drugs

sounds like you're having quite a ball
i'm beginning to understand what might have caused the condition you're currently in