Why is shred guitar hated?

Because learning how to shred takes a lot of skill and plush how long many guitar shredders probably took to learn their guitar. But seems 4 chord guitar players seem to get all the girls.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AIlvK_fcKeg
youtube.com/watch?v=T1Va1F1dQWo
youtube.com/watch?v=3SsBtfuSDxw
youtube.com/watch?v=0lR1tt24mo4
youtube.com/watch?v=JtjOe5e9VFA
youtu.be/Irc5j1gkihY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Batio got zero pussy I guarantee you that

>get all the girls
this mindset sums up the meaning of shred guitar at it's foundation

self-indulgent bullshit

Because the whole genre is a pissing contest

Has it ever crossed your mind that not everyone wants to write songs about perfumes, partying hard and underwear? Compositional skills can be learned too and memorable material can be written too, right? Not to mention that people like him helped turn guitar playing and music they're associated with into an Olympic discipline basically.

>this isn't the greatest guitarist and performer of ALL TIME
youtube.com/watch?v=AIlvK_fcKeg

Because music isn't a competition and only metalheads think otherwise cause they barely understand music.

Nu-Males are intimidated by displays of skill unless they're done by black men. By encouraging a lack of effort they create an egalitarian "safe space" where anyone can be an indie or "experimental" noise musician.

>imagine actually think this

Because there's no point in playing fidley-didley all the fucking time.
In that sense, guitar players are probably the worst musicians, and this is coming from someone that plays guitar for 10 years now.
Name one good album that a shredder made, I dare you, cunt.
>inb4 Erotic Cakes, because Guthrie is not a "le shreddurh", he's actually good

A shredder is like a guy with a modded WRX who goes to WRX meetups and has his WRX as his profile picture and all he cares about is is his WRX. A four-chords-and-the-truth guy has a beat up 2003 Camry and all he talks about is music.

He's right, tho. Why do you think the genre's who pushed against this were numale /cuck/core like punk/grunge?

as a guitarist, shredding is the easiest fucking thing to do. Anyone who's been playing seriously for a few years can shred

The most difficult thing to do is to take simple riffs and make them catchy with clever songwriting tricks, like Page and Iommi used to do. That's why they're considered great guitarists, not because of shredding.

because metal is the ultimate 'not seeing the forest for the trees' style
a lot of pointless detail, while losing the plot at making great rock music

Maybe you should buy a "multi-effects pedal"

In a White Leftists mind this is wankery.

youtube.com/watch?v=T1Va1F1dQWo

but this is "Genius"

youtube.com/watch?v=3SsBtfuSDxw

wake the fuck up

The 'complexity' of heavy metal shred guitar is an absolute farce.
They simply play standard chord arpeggios, diatonic, pentatonic, and chromatic scales quickly, while there is little to no other substance to the music other than a pseudo-baroque ideology of cramming as many notes into a measure as possible.
Not to mention the meedly meedly tapping autism technique.
People with intense knowledge of playing the guitar decide only to play formulaic trash instead of something interesting. The only virtuosos worth listening to are classical and jazz ones.
The problem with shredding is also a problem inherent with electric guitar since it plays complex harmonies poorly and limits the amount of variety one can put into a composition on said instrument.
The associated instruments in a heavy metal band (bass guitar, rhythm electric, guitar drum kit) are played poorly in comparison to the lead melody.
It ends up being a VERY poor imitation of classical music, considerably worse than even progressive rock or new age groups.

Yeah. Shredding is impressive from a technical standpoint. I enjoy watching videos of people shredding. I respect the practice musicians have put into mastering scales and theory.
Fuck listening to that shit for enjoyment, though.

only one making any sense itt

ITT: talentless "indie" musicians

You fuckers are the same people who say shit like "THE WOMENS NBA IS OK EVEN IF THEY CAN'T DUNK"

ITT: People get offended by serious musicians love for pushing the boundaries of an instrument and music.

I mean really you don't have to like this music. Its really for a small niche even though it became popular in the 80's. Right after van halen all these young 15-20 year olds started popping out delivering sheer abrasive riffage and licks. In fact many of these shredders that pushed the envelope of guitar players are extremely humble guys and very knowledgeable of music, like Paul gilbert, Marty Friedman, Jason becker, Michael angelo, etc. It was all for pushing boundaries while being able to deliver them in a way that can be musical and yes it can be a lot for some but you can not deny the impact many of the shred guitarists did for not just heavy metal and other genres but for guitar playing in general.

>The most difficult thing to do is to take simple riffs and make them catchy with clever songwriting tricks, like Page and Iommi used to do. That's why they're considered great guitarists, not because of shredding.
No, that would make them great song writers.

Shred is fine if you actually innovate. That's why Hendrix and Van Halen are household names and got a ton of pussy. 99.9% of shredders are just copy-cat egotards and will go in the dustbin of musical history (without any pussy).

Yngwie went down hill after the first album. He deserves to be a guitar hall of famer because of that album and the influence of it, but he just did the same shit for 40 years after it.

I only give a fuck about his first 3 albums as there are clealry great songwritting in them even though his 4th album really shot him into even farther into the spot light.

>[shredders] players are extremely humble guys and very knowledgeable of music, like Paul gilbert
He was even humble and smart when he was young guy. I met him backstage in 1992 and we talked for a good hour. This was at a huge concert. All the other musicians were partying. He just wanted to talk about music, movies, and books he liked. Same with me. Meanwhile, Billy Sheehan was stumbling drunk. Paul Gilbert is one of the nicest, unassuming musicians I've ever met.

Pretty rad that you met the guy I'd kill to meet him. It shatters a lot of expectations from outside people who just assume that all these fast players are prentious pricks who are doing it for pussy only.

>doing it for pussy only
It was awesome. And this was when he was around 20 years old. He was completely the opposite of you might expect a young guy in rock music, playing in front of 10,000 people, to be like.

*I honestly got the impression that he felt out of place in an environment where everyone was getting wasted and fucking groupies. They opened for the Scorpions, so there were lot's of drugs and hair sluts around.

>shredding musicians are ba

youtube.com/watch?v=0lR1tt24mo4
youtube.com/watch?v=JtjOe5e9VFA

It's a combination of many factors like songwriting, technical know-how of knowing how to craft tones and sound in the studio, and playing with rhythm and feel among other things. All of this falls under the umbrella of "being a good guitarist" in my mind. There's more to being a great guitarist than just moving your fingers really fast, that's probably the least important thing.

This in spades. The melodies and the song writing are always the first victims too.

>Gilbert is one of the nicest, unassuming musicians I've ever met.

I went to one of his gigs in Belfast (N Ireland) about 5 years ago. He came out of the venue front door about an hour after the gig and I spotted him from the adjoining pub and went out. He stood in the freezing pissing rain at the roadside for about 20mins talking to group of 5 of us. Had absolutely no problem getting soaked and shooting the shit with a beer in hand. Top fucking lad.

lol

what kind of shit forum is this where people sincerely think things like this?

listen to Allan Holdsworth you dimwit

At least better than most of the music out there today. Metal is better than the shit by Jay Z,Wiz Khalifa and such

lol

Sounds great and true to form, my man. Seems like he hasn't changed a bit in the personality department. :)

youtu.be/Irc5j1gkihY
The instrumentation and compositional skill displayed in this track is godly, and would put ANY grunge or indie band to shame.

musical options aren't limited to choosing metal or rap, dad

Angel Vivaldi - Away With Words

What now?

because noodling doesn't even sound good

I like Buckethead

only nu-males dislike 80's hairmetal tbqh

>only nu-males dislike 80's hairmetal tbqh
No, any person interested in music dislikes corporate bands without any substance.

>But seems 4 chord guitar players seem to get all the girls.
Shred guitar isnt exactly something you can do over at the quad.

Shredders like Paul Gilbert, Tosin Abasi, Lynch, Satriani or Friedman are talented and get pussy because they innovate and know how to make high speed and low speed melodies with good taste and musical theory

Shredders like malmsteem, Alexi Laiho are just wanking (even if malsteem pushed the boundaries and actually helped people understand better alternate picking techniques).

Malmsteem innovated and is incredibly talented, but he stagnated HARD

Because it's overused, boring and cliche. Simple as that.

nobody thinks hairmetal was gods gift to music, you fucking dork. it's fun, it's catchy, it's sexy, it's pop.

Yeah that's what I wanted to say. It's the same fucking thing for 20 years. He needs to calm the fuck down with his dimished arpeggios and start experimenting other scales or even influences

I guess someone out there has to have the lowest standards in the world.

>Because it's overused, boring and cliche. Simple as that.
Astronomically less overused, boring and cliche than 4 chord songs.

4 chords determine the song.
Shredding does not. It on it's own is hardly musical or enjoyable, it's a gimmick.

Music > 'technical' skill
Anyone can learn how to Shred
Actually having the talent to create a memorable song on the other hand..

4chord guitar player makes the same melody and get the girls because the vast majority of people doesn't understand music, they just want a shit chord progression in order to dance or focus on voices. Also marketing can force pleb to buy any kind of music artist without talent for a reason.

As for people passionate or who actually focus on instruments synergy and tones I can ensure you that shredders that don't only use pentatonic and scale sweep picking arpeggios are respected

if you have "standards" on how and what to enjoy when listening to music, maybe you're just not that into music.

>it's pop
So, why are you over romanticizing it then?

You are absolutley right but the moment players begin to play fast everyone begins to bitch "omg its too fast!1!1" or "wheres the feel1!!1". Really you don't have to think critically about this if none of the shred shit was even special or a great way of expressing various musical aspects and skill then why the fuck would have anyone have bothered?. Why would have van halen bother to play fast? It offers a whole knew realm of expression. I'm not saying guitar is all about speed and flashiness but man what great way to push the music even further.

Sup Forums is trash and driven on only by posters being in constant pissing contests over who's music is better. You'd be better off going to literally any other board if you want a serious music discussion. I've seen more productive threads about music on /k/ than here desu

Writing > shreding skill
Just look at Abbath he's mediocre guitarist, but makes god tier riffs.

I suppose you've never listened to flamenco or jazz guitar players.

Are you seriously suggesting that leftists have some sort of innate tendency to think that Yngwie is a wanker? I've found that sentiment coming from all sorts of people. Not that I believe it... Yngwie is largely misunderstood. But I doubt any of this breaks down along political lines to a significant extent.