We find best noir detective movies, /tv

help me to get from pleb to patrician
pic for start

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detour_(1945_film)
lanoire.wikia.com/wiki/Gold_Film_Reels
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Le Samouraï
>Casablanca
>L.A. Confidential
All of those are simple, accessible and fun.
And loose the Pleb/Patrician meme, the sooner people on Sup Forums stop using it the better this board will be.

thanks, user. added to my list. got anything else?

Your welcome buddy, I love the Noir gendre myself, and the best general advice from me is going from new to 70s, 60s and 50s and from American to French. Also most of the stuff with Alain Delonand and Jean-Paul Belmondo is great.
And last but not least, read some novels if you can get into that.

something like richard stark's parker? is it good?

Dont know havent read it, but if you want something in comic book format first few issues of Fables are great.
And fro some reason Usagi Yojimbo feels like a little bit noir too.

this is fun too

I haven't seen many but I loved the Lady from Shanghai. I was surprised by Welles' acting abilities

Chinatown is a pretty good neo-noir film.

Maltese Falcon.
The Big Heat.
The Naked City.
Touch of Evil.
Murder, My Sweet.
The Big Sleep.
Out of the Past.
Mildred Pierce.
Double Indemnity.

Thank you all, guys

Pic related is in my opinion the best film noir.

Not strictly a detective movie as closest things to detectives are reporter and military officer.

Pretty much everything is simply perfect. God tier photograhy, music and casting.

the third man ofc
blade runner ofc

Pic related is also brilliant film noir that isn't detective story. Also it's copyright has expired, so it's free in the internet... as in wikipedia page... bit crappy picture quality, but who cares.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detour_(1945_film)

>I haven't seen many but I loved the Lady from Shanghai. I was surprised by Welles' acting abilities

IMHO Orson Welles is better actor than anything else and he was also damn fine writer and director. That fucking cuckoo clock speech in The Third Man is insanely good.

>You know what the fellow said – in Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace – and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock.

Bit cliche to say it but if you haven't played LA Noire... you should pick it up from steamsale or something. Brilliant game, even if controls are worse than in GTA's and it has FPS locked in PC version to pretty low rate to keep animations working.

The movie easter egg list has only good movies in it and it's a decent list of film noirs to watch.

lanoire.wikia.com/wiki/Gold_Film_Reels

What the hell is wrong with this place? 6 gorillion threads about capeshit, but film noir threads tend to be dead from the start. People here claim to be interested in cinema.

you mean kinéma ?

The acting in this is SO fucking hammy. Billy Wilder movies always seem to have cartoonish performances, and not in a way I find terribly endearing outside of slapstick comedy.

Hammy acting? It was just how they did it back then. Not exactly unique to Billy Wilder.

Didn't read the rest of this thread, but pretty sure it's shitfest.

Just read the rest of the thread and I'm sorry it's actually good. My bad.

The thing in Film Noir is the fact that they could do really simple stories back then. Similar to westerns, almost any story could be made as detective story. In modern movies story elements get cluttered under fancy camera tricks, product placement and stupid techno babble.

Film Noir was also about subverting Hays code to extent film makers could get away with it. As result movies are classy, but there is some sort of undercurrent in 'em.

Dude Welles was a legendary actor I don't know why you even thought otherwise

Orson Welles was basically godmode director and actor at 26 years old

and here I am posting on Sup Forums

wev

>The thing in Film Noir is the fact that they could do really simple stories back then
Have you senn The Big Sleep, mate?

>Have you senn The Big Sleep, mate?

Yes, but on general level film noir turns the unessential to story elements into fairly simple things. Gun is a gun, no further elaboration needed, no tech wanking that could be present in modern thrillers.

Simple story elements, complicated messes of story.

TL;DR Film noir isn't CSI:Whatever city.

The Big Knife
Sweet Smell of Success
The Prowler
Crime Wave
He Walked by Night
Night and the City

Well I'm only starting to get into cinema and I've only ever heard of him as a legendary director, never as a great actor. To be honest I didn't even know he starred in movies before this year. So I was kinda surprised to see that he was not simply passable but outright great

Does anyone remember a certain noir movie where the main character, a detective, is sent to a Chinatown with an Asian colleague to find out about some murder. In the end, the Asian betrays him and the main character finds out there's a huge illegal gambling operation in the Chinatown.
This shit has been bugging me for a good year now.

If that's what you meant I agree, but that has to be one of the most complicated plots I have ever seen (besides Lynch)

fuck you thats not pleb tier

>noir

your pic is not noir, it's neo-noir and a homage to noir films.

I watched Brick the other day. A very unique neo-noir.

He's a self admitted pleb looking for a helping hand, way to be a smug fag though and offer nothing.

Probably not strictly within the realm of what you're looking for, but a good film to see nonetheless.

can you guys recommend me some more "pulpy" noir like sin city

i don't care if it's movies, comics or novels but i want something more gritty and edgy than the regular noir story

i like how in sin city basically every woman is a whore and every guy a fucked up piece of shit but i haven't found anything other than sin city that is like that

Sin City was kind of that pulpy noir takeb to the extreme, so it might be difficult for you to find anything edgier than that. A History Of Violence (the graphic novel) kind of gives the same feel, though.

Yojimbo feels like a noir because it's an adaptation of the noir classic Red Harvest by Dashiell Hammett

thanks man
i've also started reading hundred bullets and it's pretty good so far

but man there must be a noir novel out there that is just as edgy as sin city is

i mean there are literally hundreds of detective novels being written every year right?

Hundred Bullets was actually going to be my next suggestion if you'd already read AHOV. And there probably are more out there, I just don't read many novels and I don't follow comics the same way I used to. Do you like supernatural shit at all? If you do then you might want to look into Mignola's Lobster Johnson and any of the assorted Lovecraftian detective comics that have come out over the years, a lot of those have that pulpy feel to them.

>noir novel
Mickey Spillane nigga

Jim Thompson's crime novels are pretty pulpy but not as exaggerated as Sin City.

blade runner

this. probably has my favorite atmosphere and look, though when he goes into the suburbs it looks like the 1970s, not the 20s

thanks senpai

Oh and holy fuck I can't believe nobody here has suggested Devil In A Blue Dress yet.

I would also suggest James Ellroy's crime fiction novels.