Just watched Fear and loathing, I know it's popular here...

Just watched Fear and loathing, I know it's popular here. I've seen a lot of movies but never one I disliked so much that's so popular. I watched it because a job I'm applying to asked for quotes from the author Hunter S Tompson and this movie is his only work I've heard of. Genuinely curious, apart from drug fetishising is there anything interesting about this movie I missed?

The movie fucking sucks. I thought it was weird as well that everyone supposedly LOVES IT.. but when I watched it, I thought it was boring and all over the place. I love HST to death. But the movie fucking sucked.

nothing interesting about the lies of a dead old man. He was a garbage writer and he himself knew it. I got a high distinction for trashing this asshole

Btw, what kind of job asked for HST quotes and in what context lol? Journalism?

>I watched it because a job I'm applying to asked for quotes from the author Hunter S Tompson

wat

What gives you the impression that he himself knew that he was a bad writer?

1: it all happened. that was the recordings and notes of HST and his lawyer while covering a real race and real District attorneys conference.

2 HST is easily one of the best authors of the 20'th.

3 Johnny Dep NAILS IT. he was good friends with HST for years, had all of his mannerisms and voice down perfectly.

Terry Gilliam. Nuff said.

need more?

Can you recommend me something of HST that doesn't suck?

Not even joking, I'm guessing its a question put in there to check if people can pass the retard test and actually read the job ad. But it made me curious and if knowing some HST shit gets me the job ill do it.

rum diary was OK.

i couldn't finish fear and loathing on the campaign trail '72 because i don't care about 70s american politics that much

But why don't you like it though? are you straight edge or something?

What was the question?

his famous quote "it was like falling down an elevator shaft and landing in a pool full of mermaids" was in reference to his inability to actually write an article so he instead covered everything that allegedly took place around the event. He also said at another point that if he could write in his style and get away with it then why should he try to write like the people at forbes

>apart from drug fetishising is there anything interesting about this movie I missed?

HST's acknowledgment that the hippies kind of sold themselves out in favor of decadence in the 70s

Just watched trailer for Rum diary haha yeah that looks funnier.

>There is nothing more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge

Also I hope you find the confidence to appreciate indulgence some day.

What is your favourite HST quote and why?

Not Straight edge. I brew my own beer and i've tried some drugs but just never did much for me.

That's valid, after all writing is about people reading your work. I get the feeling that people who do drugs get a lot more out of the style and story than others.

In ether? Maybe.
I do enjoy beer though.

First of all it's not popular, so far I haven't met anyone in real life that has seen this movie except myself and two other friends that I personally showed them the movie.

Ive seen the movie many times and I will watch it many more because I just like it. I dont see anything special myself but it's the kind of adventure I want to have if I will ever go to las vegas.

And before anyone calls me a memester I found this movie before I ever seen the memes about it on the web.

Fucking Memester

Fucking Memester

i like it a lot because it almost perfectly depicted what teenage life was like growing up here in Vegas, but in a condensed, 2 hour form.
easier to relate to if you actually grew up here.
a lot of parts in the movie are funny to me also. it has a charm to it and i feel like they acted appropriately; we were around a lot of addicts.

you know he exposed the hells angels right?

>asked for quotes from the author
>doesnt read the book
what a lame brain amirite?

rum diary is alright, he was mostly just drunk the whole time so at least its not incomprehensible

Oh and try out curse of lono. It's kind of similar to fear and loathing but in hawaii and frankly surreal enough to be enjoyable whereas fear and loathing is just two dicks doing drugs in the desert

Bad movie indeed, but you have to appreciate how accurate HST was portrayed by Johnny depp

a high distinction? tf is that a merit badge in some mormon school?

I've never read anything of his frankly, but I'm sure the book and the movie are completely different. Plus he's credited for the genre of gonzo journalism so he made his mark in some way. More than you can say for most writers.

Hunter S. Thompson was as one dimensional as they come. He realized this so he blew his brains out. He knew he was no literary great and that the only people that celebrated him were hippies and other dipshits. In short he was a hack.

>Not even joking, I'm guessing its a question put in there to check if people can pass the retard test and actually read the job ad.

So, instead of going and getting a book, so you can find an accurate quote, you look at an adaption of the book into a film?

Good luck with passing that "retard test" part.

May I suggest Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72, or The Rum Diary, and quote the ISBN and page no. to show that you went out and read the book, instead of just a film?

>“Live steady. Don't fuck around. Give anything weird a wide berth--including people. It's not worth it. I learned this the hard way, through brutal overindulgence.”

Garbage writer still had more money then you ever will

You can tell by looking in the man's eyes in pictures. He was surrounded by people he despised and he knew he sucked at writing so he sudoku'd.

He offed himself cause he experienced everything he wanted to and didn't want to live to be so old he couldn't take care of himself. Far from a hack just a drug addled celebrity just like that cuck river Phoenix

Eh, it was an interesting romp and I thought Gilliam's take on LSD was spot on, but are we all forgetting Bill fucking murray's role as hunter in "where the buffalo roam"? I thought that was a much better film adaption of any of Thompson's works.

not to derail the thread either, but as far as drugs go i got some mandrax from a friend and god damn, ludes are fucking awsome.

yeah i did, and it told me a lot about the author and his style. IE not something I'd enjoy. No I won't read his books. Instead I'll do some skim research and tell the truth that I tried it and didn't like it.

yeah, not to mention his subject material doesn't really hold water in 2017, back during Nixon's administration yeah, but not so much now, he isn't like a Hemingway where you can enjoy the story as such. Dont get me wrong, I love what he did and the whole "gonzo" thing is great, he works just don't hold that much credence nowadays.

>Nuff said
go back

i still think Murray had it down better

this... lsd, amf and alot of shit.. best story ever!

I don't know, the only thing that really tripped me out about Fear and Loathing, was that all he was trying to do was get to that race to write about it.

Watch how you word it. HST is one of this centuries greatest authors of both fiction and non fiction, and panning him to anyone might get you fired rather quickly.

I remember an article in Rolling Stone Magazine back in the 70's that he wrote discussing polo, and how the sport's jockeys were all illegal drug addicted pedophile immigrants smuggled into the country for the game. He finished the paragraph with "Yes, polo is truly one of god's greatest sports."

Oh, and I think that job you're applying for is a scam.

I've seen this movie exactly twice. The first time I was stoned out of my mind, and I remember it being completely surreal and mind-blowing. The second time I was completely sober and I thought it was the dumbest movie I'd ever seen. Take from that what you will.

Hunter S. Thompson is basically a burnout writer who became a cultural icon more because of his lifestyle than because of anything he wrote or did. Stoners and pretentious artist types like him, that's about it.

For some reason, I enjoyed Natural Born Killers, more than Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas. I never really understood the obsession with Fear and Loathing. Is it because they do drugs? The commentary on Las Vegas?

Uhuh, from the outside it just looks like a bunch of drug fanbois love his work because it's all about drugs. People can read all kinds of shit into people's work to validate it if they like.

No it's not. It's for a small business that has since spread globally and now come into my home town. I've been a customer and want to get involved in the industry now.

I'm already employed and plenty qualified so I don't see me not liking the author in their "ad test" to be a deal breaker.

It's all good man. Seems legit. I enjoyed Biodome, more than Fear and Loathing. Photosynenthesis...Sounds like the job is too much for us Biodomers...I guess you're going to have to stop thinking so locally, and start thinking globally!

I both read the book and saw the movie, and yeah the movie sucks. It's pretty spot on until about half way into the book, after that it feels like they ran out of time or budget or something and had to compress the other half into 20 minutes of screenplay. They left out huge chunks of the story and just ffw to the end, leaving it up to the viewer to imagine what had happened.

Thats literally what I did, I watched half the movie then skipped chunks because I had enough.

OP here thanks for the discussion guys I'm going to bed it's midnight here and I've still got a less interesting job to go to tomorrow.