DX7 drone Album

I just finished repairing my first DX7 (done a lot of other synths before) and boy it have DEEP BASS! I mean the 12bits resolution is quirky enough to get a beautiful grainy sound! The MK2 and following models weren't sounding as good IMO.

Does Sup Forums know of any album/artist which solely use the DX7 for other style has classic 80's music and funk? Damn this beast has a big drone or even trap music potential! I'm surprised not to found more of artists using it nowadays (other than the occasional sample or two on a song)

Other urls found in this thread:

jaripitkanen.bandcamp.com/album/planeetta-avaruudessa
visiblecloaks.bandcamp.com/album/reassemblage
youtube.com/watch?v=HD55i5BJdk4
youtube.com/watch?v=KVilgNifLcM
youtube.com/watch?v=m1cRGVaJF7Y
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

OP here, sorry for the syntax issues, it's 01pm here and I'm kinda drunk and, hell, not even a native english speaker

-have+has
-has+than

brian eno liked the DX7.

supposedly kavinsky used only the DX7 for his first couple releases, but he's early 80s revival.

why is everyone obsessed with this beyond shitty synth?

the thing about FM synthesis is that it's entirely digital, meaning your computer can easily make the same sounds. Just get Dexed, it's better in every single way. Or FM8 if you want to burn money

>your computer can easily make the same sounds
>not understanding amping or miking/room miking
>not understanding the warmth of physical fm synthesis

I never knew an user could be so retarded

You could probably check out some of the Sega Genesis MegaDrive game soundtracks (Streets of Rage 2 is the "cool kids" choice that is brought up every time VGMs are mentioned) that use a rudimentary FM chip similar to the DX7 and the Lagrange Point Famicom soundtrack too that had an FM chip.

Haven't the DX7 been going up in demand and prices these days?

You can still amp and mic with an audio interface.

>forgot my bump

here's oberheim matrix-12 drone album
jaripitkanen.bandcamp.com/album/planeetta-avaruudessa

Visible Cloak's new record is pretty FM-ey. Completely gorgeous, tho there's plenty of acoustic instrumentation in it too.

visiblecloaks.bandcamp.com/album/reassemblage

pretty much, if it's not analog fm it's shit.

lmao no one is out here micing DX7s. the warmth comes from the old AD/DA converters but even that can be replicated with plugins

>but even that can be replicated with plugins
How so?

Waveshaping. Lots of waveshaping.

What? Enjoy your lack of polyphony, velocity sensitive multi-stage envelopes, feedback or ability to have more than 2 operators.

I don't think "warmth" is the right term. The DAC only contributes fuzzy distortion.

saturation/distortion, eqing and reverb

FM8 can sit in a mix just like a DX7 would depending on the type of music you're making

this is coming from someone who doesnt use FM8 or a DX7 but the same holds true for most VST synths

DX-7: The Album

youtube.com/watch?v=HD55i5BJdk4

This was the second synth I ever bought. For the time, I loved it (because it was cheap). I think it's pointless to own and use one these days, unless you're a collector/gearslut. If you really like the sound, more power to you. It IS kind of a fun keyboard to own. It was used on a lot of records during the 80s.
youtube.com/watch?v=KVilgNifLcM

Didn't he use Moog synths too for that record?

Actually, I tried using FM8 briefly, but I don't have enough skills right now to harness that kind of stuff. I just stick to the regular modular synthetizers (the Arturia plugs are realy cool).

What are some good VST for saturation?

>Didn't he use Moog synths too for that record?
Minimoog, Emax, Prophet VS, Xpander. No DX7 anywhere. Front 242 used the DX7 all over everything though.

Where should I start with Front 242?

uhh I dunno. I'm not really a fan of that style. EBM is kind of silly. I think Geography is okay but none of the songs really go anywhere.

This is the DX7 heavy stuff though: youtube.com/watch?v=m1cRGVaJF7Y

OP here, thank you all, Sup Forums doesn't disapoint. I'm checking all your links and will check the future ones!

Coming from DOS gaming I dig the FM sound and as much as I like the emulation for what it has to offer I'm an hardware guy at heart. Nevertheless this baby is big and heavy so I might trade in for a TX7 provided the sound is as much pleasing in my hears.
My eyes are also on the TX816, but finding one in EU at reasonable prices is night impossible currently

The TX7 isn't any different aside from the shitty user interface. The TF1 cards in the TX816 are the same too. I think the TG77 is the best choice overall, though.