Are bassists the most irrelevant members of a band?

Are bassists the most irrelevant members of a band?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LFIbz6D3vhw
youtube.com/watch?v=j8Is60qNfKA
youtube.com/watch?v=g0RCbndWlCI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Cut the bass out of any song, see how irrelevant it is then

why does geddy's shirt say rash

Because Rush is the penguin of doom of prog rock.

Because he's got a rash

His balls probably itches

That was the original name of the band.

Guitarist*

Nah, that's Cardiacs. Rush is the intellectual redneck of prog rock.

Most of the time yes, but for some reason you posted one of the few bands (others including Primus and RHCP) where its the other way around. Although Neil is more prolific than Geddy, but not by much, both outshine Alex who is still a fantastic musician.

Bitchrant blogpost over, I love Rush.

Not most irrelevant, but less relevant.

I beg to differ, kemosabe.

No. Metallica proves it

He did that to make fun of alex for having a huge amp, and to make fun of bands that had a wall of marshalls just for show that weren't even plugged in. If they were spork, they'd have more "funny" songs like I Think I'm Going Bald.

>drummer is the most irrelevant member of the band
guess the band

Geddy actually switched to having his bass input linked directly to front of house speakers, which improved balance and timing, and filled all the empty space that used to hold speakers with random shit.
And don't talk shit about the washing machines, they're cool first of all, and they held t shirts that he would throw to the crowd during shows.

stop forcing this shitty meme it's not funny

Rush are one of the most underrated bands on this board

You don't know a lot about music do you

>Geddy Lee
>Lemmy
>Bootsy Collins
>Mike Watt
>Flea
>Phil Lesh
>John Entwhistle
>Paul McCartney

Yeah. Bassists are irrelevant and serve no purpose other than to keep a bottom end.

the easiest way to make an okay song great is to figure out a good bassline for it

Bass is the backbone of any band

Only when they are there...

No

It's a shop. In the original image, it says Rush

You answered your own question by posting Geddy

It was from a cover band that played their music. He bought their shirt out of irony

geddy and team have a sense of humor

Sup Forums should have a rush board

Because the T fell off.
Jokes.

THE FACT THAT

What about the voice of geddy lee

How did it get so high?

XAAAAAAA
NAAAAAAA
DUUUUUUU

All this. Bass is the foundation, you gotta have a solid foundation

>Bass is the foundation
I've heard drums are the foundation? Which is it?

I wonder if he speaks like an ordinary guy

>Who is Mick Karn
>Who is John Deacon
>Who is Tony Levin

>*plays the root of every chord*

Woooooow, so skilled

>bass is the foundation

thats the chords dude

The song's harmony is the foundation

It depends on the genre. Bass-heavy genres are awesome and depending on the play style and cab/amp/EQ/rack the bass can be a fucking cool sounding instrument.

But most pop music bassists are lazy as fuck and don't play anything fun. But even there they're not irrelevant because, if you knew anything about sound, you'd know that bass frequencies give most of the energy to a song.

nice b8 m8

exactly

Depends, some bands are fine without it but most bands aren't, Iron Maiden are a good example of music that needs bass

youtube.com/watch?v=LFIbz6D3vhw

It just sounds fucking weird without bass

Imma raise you Jaco Pastorius.

It depends on how the song is written and how the producer mixes the whole thing. Some bands neglect the bassist and some don't.

youtube.com/watch?v=j8Is60qNfKA

>Calling Bass irrelevant

Drums are the steel framing, bass is the bricks, guitar is everything else that makes it look pretty.

Your band is fucking terrible dude

dude... fuck you

Watch what you say

>intellectual redneck of prog rock.
No that label goes to Tool

Tool is the nu-male college student of prog rock

I'd say it depends on the band, for example I can't imagine SAD without the amazing Shavo Odadjian, that being said, there are a lot of bands who's bassists are replaceable unlike some other members.

Another example might be Robert Trujillo: I personally don't find him as talented or relevant to Metallica's sound but his carisma has exceded his bassists abilities IMO. Not a bad thing, good for him I guess.

The enhanced bass versions floating around on YouTube are a massive improvement. How the most the most successful metal band of all time never gets their mixing right is beyond me.

>his bass line doesn't ascend by step

DELET DIS

>implying guitar isn't the most irrelevant
youtube.com/watch?v=g0RCbndWlCI

Fuckin' A, man. I got a rash man.

I play bass, in my band when I stop playing, the sound is weedy, for rock you do need bass.

Yes they are. Any half decent guitarplayer can pick up bass. The bass as an instrument is pretty much irreplaceable, but the retard playing it is.

Also: It's very rare that bassists actually contribute to the bands output in an artistic way.

Nope

It depends on the genre