/daily/

Liturgy Edition

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>listenalong schedules, OP pics, etc.
daily-mu.blogspot.com/p/welcome.html

Previously, on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=i3_WI5En4mQ
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/songs__ohia/axxess_and_ace/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/the_tallis_scholars-peter_phillips/spem-in-alium/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/amon-duul-ii/yeti/
rateyourmusic.com/release/ep/sudan-archives/sudan-archives/
rateyourmusic.com/release/ep/deerhoof/green_cosmos/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/steffen_basho_junghans/in_the_morning_twilight/
twitter.com/theneedledrop/status/888603367135748096
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

1500th rating review, please leave constructive comments only!! Harassment and racism will not be tolerated!!! :))) ʕ·ᴥ· ʔ

>C418 - Minecraft - Volume Alpha
>Ambient, Impressionism, Microcosm, Cubism, Blockism, Anime Soundtrack

Undeniably a memorable and personal soundtrack for thousands of young adults and children.

This issue of the soundtrack is imbued with many small details that aren't present in the game. Swelling strings coalesce in Living Mice and Subwoofer Lullaby, futuristic underpinings flow in Moog City and Cat, and. Thirteen continues to be an eerie and memorable standout, for being one of the only darker tracks. Childlike wonder permeates Haggstrom and Cat, and sentimentality-turned-playfulness appears within songs like Mice on Venus.

There are stumbles, such as the hokey sounds of Death that use actual in-game sound effects. The last two tracks come off as hastily constructed demos, ditching the clean minimal natures for jokes. Many new interludes fail to leave an effect-- but companion tracks such as Dog and Wet Hands are able to deliver much more on the original melodies. Comparisons to Nils Frahm and earlier M83 are easy, with an overindulgence in melancholia and sunny atmospheres, gentle piano solos plus synth touches (most notably Sweden and Danny).

This could be pruned to be a nice compact piece, really. But the important tracks on here have already done their part in introducing the public to home-grown Ambient.

7-/10

bump

>a Bill Maher-style Liberal/Progressive

youtube.com/watch?v=i3_WI5En4mQ
lul

tourney tiebreakers:
Accel vs. Tuco
this was close but I think I'll have to give it to Tuco. The vocal and piano performance on 'I Won't Complain' was great but I didn't enjoy it quite as much as the built to spill song overall.
Mark vs. Darklands
Mark wins by a fair margin.

need recs from:
Accel
Borzoi
Benji
blapp (may or may not actually be participating, someone might have to take his place)
Darklands
FlyingIceWizard
Jimmy Jazz
Letov
Nat
Nyarlathotep
Tuco
max of about an hour long

o shit that's right letov already recccced that live tim buckley

Tyler, the Creator - Flower Boy (2017)
>west coast hip hop, expreimental hip hop

Outside of "Yonkers", I've always really hated Tyler, so this is a really pleasant surprise. This is by no means perfect, it's incredibly scattershot, and I can't say I'm huge on the almost plastic funk sound that takes up most of this album, but Tyler has improved tremendously on all fronts. His rapping is smoother and less childish, for lack of a better word; his lyrics are infinitely more mature; and his production is immaculate, cementing his status as one of the best producers in the game. The introspective nature of the album is a huge plus as well, it's a side of Tyler that hasn't been shown before and it allows him to present himself as an infinitely more interesting artist than he was just two years ago with the awful Cherry Bomb. Like I said, not really that huge on the sound that takes up most of this album (except when it's done really well, like on "See You Again" and "911 / Mr. Lonely"), but it's an incredibly mature statement from an artist I didn't think would have something like this in him.

2.5+

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/songs__ohia/axxess_and_ace/

>Cherry Bomb
>awful
nah

new Avey Tare is apparently not that awful.

i beg to differ but i should probably give it a re-listen

its supposedly got campfire songs vibes and that's got me hyyyyped

not gonna lie this soundtrack is still sicc even if I don't really play Minecraft anymore
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/the_tallis_scholars-peter_phillips/spem-in-alium/

that's a very good thing.

late af

shiddd glad you liked it though
Really liking that losers bracket setup, I might just steal that idea

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/amon-duul-ii/yeti/

there didn't even need to be a soundtrack for a game like Minecraft, but the guy really nailed it

are you implying it would most likely be awful?

Esbjörn Svensson Trio - Viaticum (2005)
>jazz fusion

Very much a 21st-century jazz album, sparse and brooding but far too indebted to more trendy styles of post-rock and ambient. These influences tend to make this amount to little more than 70-odd minutes of nothing, but it's 70-odd minutes of nothing with some cool textural work and some great performances. Svensson is exceptional here, very subtle but often injecting incredible life into the otherwise rather stangant album, with lots of piano runs indebted to the poppy, pleasant nature of cool jazz. Instrumentalists of this caliber could produce something much better, but this is pretty solid.

2.5+

Digable Planets - Blowout Comb (1994)
>jazz rap, east coast hip hop, conscious hip hop

The MC's are much livelier and more potent on Reachin', the instrumentals, however, are significantly improved. Reachin' is well-produced, but it's just simple poppy jazz rap at its core. This, on the other hand, is the best produced jazz rap album I've ever heard. It takes legitimate, non-gimmicky influence from jazz that works incredibly well, and most importantly, the drums bang like a mother ("Black Ego", goddamn). The MC's really are not on the top of their games, though, and some songs don't quite hit the mark. Regardless, one of the best jazz rap albums out there.

3.0+

Manuel Göttsching - E2-E4 (1984)
>progressive electronic

Around three tracks and half an hour into this album, I started to think that the first track was pretty damn cool. I honestly had no idea that so much time had passed and that I was no longer on the first track of the album, everything here flows so beautifully. Göttsching's use of repetition is never boring, this is an enthralling piece of music all the way through, and an incredibly anachronistic one at that, arguably serving as an early example of techno with it's pulsating rhythms. The guitar is out-of-place, and the middle kind of drags, neither do much to take away from this album.

3.0+

Good morning /daily/!

Having a very rich breakfast before watching Twin Peaks and recording some wanks.

Good day so far.

ethyboy vs letov

>Murmuüre - Murmuüre
After hearing Astetica and now this I should probably look more into black metal.
9-/11

>Tatsuro Yamashita - 僕の中の少年
The overly cheesy lyrics and forced happiness end up being a bit unbearable for me
5/11

ethyboy proceeds

inb4 transilvanyan hunger pan

Menomena - I am the Fun Blame Monster

3 Spots left

rateyourmusic.com/release/ep/sudan-archives/sudan-archives/

you missed my post! at the end of last thread
rateyourmusic.com/release/ep/deerhoof/green_cosmos/

final fantasy - spectrum, 14th century

all done

ah u pulled thru for me thx comrade

Music for this feel?

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - We Real Cool

scooter no time for chill

I just listened to despacito...
Was it released this year?
Feels like I've heard it years ago.
The rhythm and "basic melody" sounds so familiar...

>memeball team wins an irrelevant friendly 4-0
>gf sleeping over tonight
>stuffed with caviar and shitty ramen
>don't need to wake up early tomorrow
>new Oxbow
>mfw

also bump

>The rhythm and "basic melody" sounds so familiar...
the magic of reggaeton....

hello fuckers
terrible typing
it's actually grown on me quite a bit since first listen, it's in my top 15 if not top 10 of the year now

this desu

Gonna finish this up today. I forget what I haven't updated you on.

Impressions was fine, I've heard plenty better. Elvin Jones is the star. They just take the "India" from the Village Vanguard sessions anyway.

I generally like Panda Bear and it's interesting to see how he's grown because you can still tell he has a knack for odd and moody melodies, but his debut doesn't have any fully-formed songs. The arrangements are lacking and he didn't seem to spend much time working on cohesive melodies to my ears.

Colour Haze still sucks a little bit. Everyone that likes some of these 21st century psych rock groups I like thinks these guys can jam, and the sound is cool, but this is like if Tool pretended to jam. Not psych. Only ever worth anything when the songs are stretched out completely.

I'll do E2-E4 too.

>Manuel Göttsching - E2-E4 (1984)

I generally think it's not fair to criticize music for sounding outdated--especially if it's early electronic music. There just weren't nearly as many tones one could use in their palette compared to today, and the tone of E2-E4 sounds closer to an early Nintendo game than electronic music today. But what it makes up for in its tonal limitation is a quite rich and subtle employment of layers. There is more or less one constant loop that lays the foundation for the album upon which Manuel Göttsching adds countless percussive layers throughout and later electric guitar to highlight certain notes and emphasis to the shifting beats. It's an effect similar to some of Philip Glass' compositions in how it creates this repetitive effect without ever repeating itself.
6.5/10

ay yo, if you gonna have half points, why not just use a scale out of 20

Nah not feeling it. Doesn't pack the punch of 10

If no restrictions:
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/steffen_basho_junghans/in_the_morning_twilight/

One last French chart for this month…

>Louis Philippe • Appointment With Venus [1986] Chamber Pop
Good opening (the only track sung in French): it let me hoping for a full Baroque Pop album (eg. XTC "Apple Venus"). But it's just a colletion of gentle twee songs with subtle (piano/acoustic guitar/violin) arrangements and almost no percussions: it's lovely but it's a snooze! This isn't colorful enough (mid-tempos only, mostly in minor mode) to really entertain me for 40 minutes.

>Cecil Leuter • Altitude 3000 [1985] Library Music
Dreamy futuristic soundscapes made on vintage synthetizers (Moogs?) by CL (a.k.a. Roger Roger). Repetitive lovely loops with a cinematic edge.

>Ghédalia Tazartès • Une éclipse totale de soleil [1984] Experimental
I survived to Basil Kirchin's "Worlds Within Worlds" so the A-side bored me.
The B-face is way better with more varied moods: destructured Can-like track slowly fused into a menacing Metal Drone; voice samples (from religious sources?) and a buzzing organ melt together, etc.
The Bonus track "Il regalo della befana - Part III" is great too. Two moods are interlaced: Tribal Ambient/Can outtake-tier, and Punk samples (from the Sex Pistols) distorted to the point to reach a pleasant chaotic Metal maëlstrom.

>Renaud • Morgane de toi… [1983] Chanson
Again, the dated production dilutes good lyrics ("Deuxième génération", "Déserteur", "Loulou"), and Renaud is odten self-caricatural ("Pochtron", "Près des auto-tamponneuses") or way too syrupy ("Morgane de toi", "En cloque"). One decent song ("Ma chanson leur a pas plu") doesn't save this insufferable, tasteless mess.

>Hubert-Félix Thiéfaine • Soleil cherche futur [1982] Chanson Rock
The bad: the voice is buried under Ska/Rock instrumentals.
The good: some striking images thanks to poetic lyrics.

Ulver - Bergtatt

no restrictions, added

twitter.com/theneedledrop/status/888603367135748096

didnt this dude post in bandcamp threads? lmao

Yeah I recognize that album art. Imma listen to it

Are you not putting scores on this chart

it's good but kinda like some dude rapping over the "chill beats to study to" videos
which isnt really a bad thing

whomst doing the listenalong this weekend?

>Nero's Day at Disenyland - From Rotting Fantasylands
>Breakcore, Happy Hardcore
It's got that same weirdly collagic and quirky confidence that batfinks has, which lamb aptly put as "Post-Zolo". I feel the same way about it as Stema Tarnyt; while the melodies stay consistent and the gross excretions of color are still here, but I'm impartial to it as a whole. It's got the sound of nightmare circus, but I don't like circuses.
Could grow on me, but I kinda doubt it.

5+/10

>Secular Works - Extra Life
>Experimental Math Rock
Actually really cool, haven't heard an album with such a flexible beat in a while. Some tracks forgo time signatures all together, and I get whipped around like a miniature roller coaster.

7+/10

>Various Artists - Cхoвaйcя
>Avant-Folk, Chamber Folk
The electric organ(?) that shows up semi-often is music is beginning to wear on me, but the expressive, almost medieval orchestras on here sure aren't. Kazma-Kazma's one track on here is surprisingly well-formed compared to the previous album I heard from them, and the soundtrack features from S. Ohrimenko following it are nice. There's more experimentation in regards to modern instrumentation as well.

Can also see why you like Иннa Блaжчyк, would listen to an album with her.

7/10

>Tim Buckley - Lorca
Enjoyable? Much of this album feels like it's building to something that it never arrives at, which isn't a sin but is a bit perplexing. I feel like there's a secret resolution not included in the album, like I could listen to this 20 times and not feel familiar with it. And maybe that's fine. What's here is kind of spooky, not unpleasant, a little sinister. Definitely the most mysterious bum tickling I've heard so far. As I'm listening I want to simultaneously re-listen. wtf

Wikipedia sez "According to Larry Beckett, his songwriting partner from Tim Buckley and Goodbye and Hello, he was purposely trying to alienate fans at this point." I'll buy it, but it isn't working. If anything I'd call it much more interesting than G&H or HS, so I'm re-engaged. Joke on you, Tim.

I don't feel I've untangled this one hardly at all yet. Rewards repeated listens, for sure. I'll give it a 4.0++ for now, great both to listen to and to anticipate further listens to.

>no discernable opinion
>4.0++
what the fuck is this bullshit

I mean he did say it was bum-tickling I think that works

>I'll give it a 4.0++ for now
Are just doing this because it's Tim Buckley?

Dude go outside or something

i'll be the first to admit i'm not a good writer
not just because, i do really enjoy the music, in addition to being fascinated/perplexed by it.
I use +/- as "i want more like this" or "i don't want any more like this", if that helps clarify the score

Ugh what rn
Maybe I'm not even in the mood to listen attentively to music

what does the purple line mean

number of listens so far without settling on a score

and/or it's got a score but is currently in the four lowest and thus at risk for getting cut

>secular works - extra life
oh boy im gonna love this

>The Conet Project - Recordings of Shortwave Numbers Stations
When I was younger I'd sometimes spend hours at night looking up and listening to videos with titles along the lines of "top 10 creepiest recordings", and other stuff like that.. the eerieness of recordings like these have always attracted me. I remember first coming upon a page with cockpit recordings of crashing airplanes, and being incredibly interested by it. Every recording on here is comparable with the spookiest recordings I remember hearing during my childhood, except instead of finding a good one every once in a while, it's a culmination of one after another for nearly 5 hours, that when put together as a single release, really create a unique, lingering atmosphere and aesthetic that's hard to find elsewhere.
4/5
>J.I.D - The Never Story
3.5/5
>Martin Siewert & Martin Brandlmayr - Too Beautiful to Burn
3.5/5
>Emerald Web - Whispered Visions
3/5
>Sinfonieorchester des Hessischen Rundfunks / Chor des Bayerischen Rundfunks / Sinfonieorchester des Südwestfunks / Michael Gielen / Wolfgang Schubert / Ernest Bour / Liliana Poli / Barbra Ericson / Antoinette Vischer - Requiem; Lontano; Continuum
3/5
>$uicideboy$ - Radical $uicide
3/5
>Team Dresch - Personal Best
3/5
great soundtrack

update: i dont really love it

when are you doing Ascension desu
fuck I can't tell if I want to listen to Conet Project or not

seems to heccin' spooky to me and is p damn long

idk, at some point. doing atdi rn which is some nice pop music

>Batfinks - Stema Tarnyt
Doesn't feel like an end product but more like left-out tracks, some parts result interesting but that's just for a very small portion of the whole thing.
5-

>Lift to Experience - The Texas-Jerusalem Crossroads
This is tight, I'm aware it gets monotonous (woah really? how rare for a post-rock album) but at the same time every song in here feels necesary, the music makes you forget you're listening to a christian album (before the vocals start again).
7.5+

The Fiery Furnaces - Blueberry Boat
[2004]

Dense, layered pop songs. Complex enough to be worthy of having the "progressive" tag, and catchy enough to be still considered pop. The production and synths on this are amazing, there's some guitars here and there and the production is very clean, all of that is paired with certain vocals which make it all seem like a big opera and give this an air of importance.
Want to hear more from them.

Patty Waters - Sings
[1966]
First half is boring soft vocal jazz, her vocals on this side of the record actually irk me more than when she's doing the crazy stuff she's doing on the big track, the second half - a freakout where she's repeating the world black with various intensity and anger and whatever. The screaming is definitely proto-Diamanda Galas but yeah, this is the first record on this tourney that I didn't particularly enjoy.

>This is tight
no

Bruh you haven't heard TMR yet?
Also listen to Bitter Tea by The Fiery Furnaces, it's better than Blueberry Boat

I've just heard frownland once because I wanted to try it while high but I wasn't feeling it, that was a long time ago so I'll see what I think about it now

Also yes I'll listen to the other furnaces records

Music innit.

Yeah it's for sure not a weed album, too manic and anxious

music is FUN!

That's a fat rat.

haha what bug is this

jerry really let himself go

Hello /daily/ how are guys doing? Been quite busy this week though got 'round to the following;

>A Thousand Hours - s/t. Really dense shoegaze, like Endless Grey and the increase in intensity throughout the album, nothing special though if you're into a smack of reverb then give it a try.
>Grandaddy - Last Place. This was pretty good though got somewhat banal in areas (even if there is not a lot more to experiment within rock). That's What You Get for Getting out of bed is pretty good as is This is the Part.
>Grandaddy - The Sophtware Slump. Is there an album that is like the first 30 seconds of He's Simple, He's Dumb...? Because that is easily my favourite first 30 seconds of any album, its a shame the rest doesn't live up to it. Still kinda like the near-concept approach they were going for and spacey elements.
>Grandaddy - Under the Western Freeway. Its a few space rock jams that meander into not really much of anything after Laughing Stock. I appreciate the ambiance at times though it doesn't really have the same effect as the instrumentals on say Long Drive. Still pretty chill nonetheless.

Is a 2 good from you? What is your rating system like, really interested in that album.

oo that's not my rating system, I'm just ranking the records, as in the two means it's the second best record i've heard on there
On a normal scale i'd give it a good 8.5/10, which means very great album

Warning: Fiery Furnaces actually suck ass

cool opinion there bud

ah yes let's trust the person who includes Everything Everything's Get to Heaven in his top 32 albums

Warning: I eat ass

lol no

Also incest is good

>Friend rating average: 2.64
everyone else seems to think otherwise
it's nothing higher than 6, that's for sure

state some actual opinions about it so I can take your bait

:o

it is bad

Some uncooked onions for ya

Also, caviarr and chrigo, be aware that you're getting cut this round unless you pipe up

How embarrassing.

Yah I figured I'd add hints to big black, sufjan and hospice

Sorry I just wanted to post the face because I like it a lot. It's not actually embarrassing, everybody makes mistakes and you're a great chap. Ok keep it up.

I've have never made an mistake

This post was a mistake.

I like posting this face

Also this one :0

Those are very good faces :)

they're playing Yasuaki Shimizu in this coffee shoppe, good stuff

>recording some wanks
?

Anyone use FilmStruck/Criterion got recs? May even review them.

Paris, Texas was a beautiful story and all that but too slow for a dumb mofo like me

The Jim O'Rourke live bootleg someone posted a week or so ago is choice btw

yeah they do and so does Bon Iver lmao

yeah yeah yeah FilmStruck is sick. You Seen Harakiri?

On it

not wrong

(Letov posted the bootleg)