Sup Forums

Sup Forums
I am about to move to Houston from the other side of the world.
What do I need to know?

From what I know, it sucks. I got robbed sometime in July when I went to go visit my father.

It's fucking humid and hot, the traffic is awful, the roads suck. Good food.

i'm about 30-45 minutes out from Houston, the commute on 45 can be god-awful sometimes, so heads up. oh and driving downtown fucking sucks

it's fucking hot, humid a lot, and there's niggas everywhere. but it's also very beautiful, and the world's 4th largest city, so don't forget that.

oh and definitely go eat at what-a-burger, it's ebin

There's a lot of homeless people. Don't give them money because some fake being homeless.

You will see regular citizens (not cops) walking around with guns on their hip. Not everybody you see; probably not even a third of the people you see. But you will see it, and it's legal.

Where you coming from user?

God I hate the 45 all that construction all the time.

its a shitty town and dont judge texas by its poverty and dirtiness, I'd honestly like to say I feel safer and cleaner in Dallas but Frisco and north is really nice

Its been 10 years and they still haven't finished the highway

houston is shit, try Dallas or Austin/San Antonio

It's the most ethnically diverse large city in the country. Lots of good restaurants, many international. Lots of nightlife. Friendly, but with some rednecks to watch for. Traffic is a contact sport, so plan on very aggressive drivers. Not a bad place to be if you don't like snow. Third largest sailing community in the US. Plenty of salt water fishing. On the central flyway, so really good birding. No zoning, so neighborhoods can go from nice to trash in a couple of blocks. I could go on and on. Like all big cities, there is good and bad. Depends on what you look for.

There is no state income tax in Texas, so that's a plus. On the flip side, the sales taxes are kind of high (for the US - if you're used to 17% VAT, paying 9% will seem like a bargain).

The property taxes are also a little higher than other states, but if you're renting, you won't really see that.

Unless your job is downtown and you live a couple of blocks away, you will probably need a car. Public transportation in all but the very biggest US cities (like NYC) is not great, compared to Yurp.

Go shopping at Walmart on the day that food stamps and/or Social Security checks come out. If you can handle that, you can handle living in America. (Note: this may be slightly obsolete; some states now pass out food stamps throughout the month - not sure about Texas.)

meant US' 4th largest city, oof

Texas uses the Lone Star card. Food stamps have been out of use for over a decade.

Open carry just passed a couple of years ago. There really isn't very much of it, though there are some mooks that think it is a good idea.

BTW, Texas politics is dominated by the Republican primary.

*downtown is beautiful, everything else is pretty shit

As a san antonio fag, expect SAPD to do jack shit. Fucking useless cops here.

Not OP, currently in Austin; don't do it. I visit Houston 3-4 days out of every month and would consider moving there. It's practically impossible to travel East/West in Austin at certain times of the day. The city never planned for traffic 20yrs ago and the taxes are unreal. Dallas/Ft Worth is descent

Im from houston just avoide yhe ghetto areas and blacks too

New Zealand.

Not true. The Woodlands are nice.

That's where I'm headed.

I'm moving to Houston because I got a job there. Intend to do a bit of travelling though and Austin's on the list.

theres a rich side and poor side

It's a real city, so it has all the pros and cons of any other big city. Huge Asian community, second only to San Francisco. They had an openly gay mayor for years, so it's a lot more liberal than most small town Texas.

yeah as i stated just avoid the black neighborhoods like the fith ward im living near that till i my house is done at a much better place in pasadena honestly if there is latinos its much safer

I live in San Antonio. Houston is an utter shit hole. High crime, shitty congestion. Houston and Dallas are the worst of the major cities in Texas.

And i moved from brownsville tx to houston tx 3 months ago i honesty would like to go back to my countryclub and shoot ars and stuff but nan man the atf confiscated my full auto scorpions and mac10s

You can live in that bubble and never have to deal with the city. It can be humid as Hell, but the Woodlands are nice/safe. The cops ride through the mall parking lot on horse back. There are mega churches. It's like Suburbia on steroids.

excuse me beaner kike Dallas is the top citie

I am really not looking forward to this humidity brah. Barely been above 50F where I'm from for the last few weeks. I'm gonna fucking die.

this, unless your down in the border cities the spics leave you alone. Try looking around North Dallas
Also Euro fag you should know something.
Texas is fucking huge, we are called the land of wide open spaces for a reason, so be prepared for allot of long drives if you plan on exploring, and theres tons of little areas worth living in, Austin, houston, and Dallas just happen to be the main cities we are known for. the Counties of Dallas/FortWorth are pretty big alone.
>also try some guns, they're fun and plentiful over here

>I live in San Antonio.
...and it's NOT a shit hole? So do you live in Alamo Heights or Stone Oak?

if you don't have to work in the city/live near there, consider moving to the west side of houston, your best bet is the katy area, solid schools, not a ton of crime, affordable housing but not in shitty areas, plus you're close to I-10, only real commodity that is a pain in the ass to get to is the airports, but if you don't fly a lot no problem. the hispanic population is numerous but mostly friendly, the mexicans that mow my lawn are great guys and cheap, just watch out for the black neighborhoods and it's fine. also houston is (or was) the car jacking capitol of the U.S so be mindful.

there are some nice places in San an, its just for easy to take a wrong turn.

Don't move to the usa, just don't.

Not a Eurofag but appreciate the reply. Also nice trips.

> Texas is 3x the land size of New Zealand and Houston urban area has a larger population than my entire country. Fffff.

Lots of niggers.

Niggers, niggers everywhere.

not sure if your NW user, but yes, if you are used to cold climates . Texas is going to rape you.
>just wait until you experience your first Tornado Siren
Also enjoy the lightning Storms, they are basically free light shows

SATX is a shit hole constipated with chubby texmex girls

If you are retired Military, have a great job in Tech, or you are a SA Spur, it's a great town.

>chubby texmex girls
Now you're making me homesick.

this
>wait until you have to outrun a tornado in your truck
Texas weather is one big thrill ride

DFW gets the tornadoes, Houston gets the hurricanes.

Bleh have at it, Anglo blondes are scarce but make me cum harder than the locals

come by corpus christi or galveston if you wanna chill
>Padre has too many cartel spics now

Corpus is tight, anything for Selenas

Swisha house, UGK, Z-Ro, James Harden, Travis Scott, Astros current season, Southside Skate Park, any club you go to you'll be able to purchase top grade ecstasy tablets, cheap houses in suburbs, cheap as fuck houses and dank ass taco shops in south side. SPM pre conviction discography. Galleria on westhiemer is the Texas equivalent of mall of America. Skate spots out the ass. They decriminalized pot possession for up to 2 ounces. Melting pot of cultures and ethnicities, each ethnincity is a doppelgänger of stereotypes for themselves. Houston isn't bad. Grew up in port Arthur most my life, a little over hour drive away from Houston. 25 yrs old, grew up skateboarding, Houston always was fun to go to, saw a bunch of shows when younger, the adolescents, primus, mars volta, Dave chappelle at woodlands, z-ro snoop dogg, willie Nelson, mastodon, circle jerks. Always had best skate parks and spots to skate. I hate edm music but like fucking Asian bitches, I like drugs, Asian bitches love mdma, Houston has good mdma and edm venues. If you like Asian bitches, Houston kills

>Corpus is tight
Really, dude? I take it, you were born there?

Wicked, I love me some EDM. Didn't think there was much of a scene in Houston but maybe that's because I'm into drum and bass and not trap etc.

Things I know about Texas, ...

Graduated from Texas State in 2005, right after they changed the name from South West Texas State.

Texas is Big... like REALLY BIG.

I grew up in Austin, it used to be really cool, now since all the Californians have invaded it, not so much.

I used to go down to 6th street and buy drinks for Leslie before he died, just cause the guy cracked me up when he was drunk. Dont know who that is? google it.

Be polite, Texas just passed open carry, but it has the second largest number of concealed handgun licenses in the nation. Every one has a gun.

Traffic in all major cities sucks, its always warm there though so buy a motorcycle, you can ride it 11 months out of the year and trust me, it cuts down on commute times.

Houston is a decent city, very diverse. Just from some of the comments on here, you also see alot of racism there. Just be polite, and get a gun of your own, it is legal to shoot someone in the back in texas if its after dark and you feel threatened, or you "think" they stole something from you.

Try and find some place to go Tubing, I suggest Dawn's fish camp in San Marcos.

Fishing n coastal sea dog poon tang

what you should know is texas has some of the dirtiest std infested sluts be careful who you get with

It's actually up to 4 ounces

Do the girls like dudes with accents?

Do either of you know if nitros/NOS is legal?

Embrace the heat and don't be afraid to sweat. Ethnically diverse means great food and a chance to be friends/date with diverse people. Learn your Krogers. Disco Kroger. Hot Mom Kroger. Combat Kroger. Drug use is normal. My friends from Chicago were blown away by how nonchalant people are about their habits. Traffic sucks so ride a bike. But prepare to sweat your balls off.

What the fuck is a kroger?

Hot humid and overrun with niggers

Maybe it is a qp I don't know I live 90 miles away. As fucking "I'm Rick perry and these are my prescription ray bans" Texas is, I highly doubt it's up to 4. Maybe it is, I'm not gonna google it either way. I don't give a fuck, DPS fucked me raw dog in the asshole over a quarter ounce bag. 90 miles away from Harrison county, Texas gives no fucks about how much weed you have. Quit being a bitch made

Grocery store

The suburbs of Montrose and the Heights are pretty much "Little San Francisco" and are full of fags.

The Third Ward, Greenspoint(colloquially known as Gunspoint), and Cinco Ranch are pretty much "little Chicago" and are full of nigs.

I try to stay outside of the beltway because I hate cities.

The energy drink? It's sold in every gas station

Go to Galveston. Get weed from the guy that blows glass on the Strand.

different counties, different rules... you go out in Rural Texas be prepared to be deal with some serious racial profiling. DPS don't fuck around, drive the speed limit there is no 5 over there, especially when your in the country. They can and will fuck you if your not a member of there immediate family... its a good ole boy gigantic space with some major metro areas sprinkled in for good measure.

Are you an artfag? Plenty of quality and free museum hours.

No man, laughing gas. Cream chargers.

I ate a brownie once

Worst state in the U.S and thats coming from someone living there, expect a lot of heat, a shit ton of racial tension, drugs, drugged up families; fucked up no self esteem girls from said families in the big cities; fucked up high self esteem daddys girls who are more disingenuous than the local politicians in the small towns; not to mention the further south you go the more it looks like Mexico already reconquered Texas.

Still if your coming for a job you will be making a ton of money and there is a kind of unspoken bond between people even if your a stranger here.

You manage to make it sound both shithouse and appealing at the same time.

>tells us everything about his own personal Hell which would be the same in any state/city

Really? What was that like?

Buzzy. Fellow kiwi doing the same once i get my card. Ive spent a bit of time there before.

Its dead flat, smells and is huge. More people in Houston than our country. Its easy to find your niche there, whatever you want to get into is there. Cheap living too. Good people, good beer and good food.

Definitely has pluses and minuses

fuck off we're full snownigger, you can crash at canada tho.

Driving is way worse than auckland.

In May everything floods, the bayous (like a stormwater drain on steroids) are pretty impressive to see fill up.

Go to r/houston and see if you can find some sort of culture map if youre concerned about good/bad areas because the bad areas are def way worse than anything in nz

Buy a gun to defend yourself and get a CCW.

Houston's crime went up like 300% after hurricane katrina and never dropped off.
It's terrible, swampy, hot, and full of criminals.

Welcome to East Texas.

Americans also dont get the deadpan sarcastic kiwi humour so that takes a bit of getting used to. Cunt is also still a very offensive word there

>spelling Whataburger with dashes

Want to know how I know you're not a real Texan?

yeah...was gonna say...

this, im a texan but I watched allot of foreign tv growing and cunt became part of my vocabulary, even people who've already known me for a few years get standoffish when I use it.Dairy Queen is better anyway, whataburger has dropped in quality and tried to cater to commiefornians.

this plus niggers

dairy queen a shit and buffalo ranch chkn strp sandwich is op

I live in houston. North houston is great, there's a lot of money to be made in the woodlands if you're familiar with it. The food is awesome, the traffic sucks, and the weather is ok if you don't mind torrential rain and extreme heat. All in all it's the best place I've lived so far and I'm not from here. The womeb are beautiful too, lots of Mexican girls and I fucking love Mexican girls.

Forgot to mention, buy a gun. And nust avoid the southside of the city. No real crime up near the woodlands to be worried about but fuck fuck fuck the southside of houston

Can confirm North-South sucks too. I take 360 every day to and from work. It's at least an hour both ways if there's even light traffic

Wut?

There is construction no matter where you look. Also, if you aren't going at least 5 mph over the speed limit, you're going to slow.

>BTW, Texas politics is dominated by the Republican primary
Which is a good thing. If democrats were in power, Houston would quickly devolve into another Detroit.

Thanks for reminding me user, I almost just left home without mine today.

The Candle light estates area is nice, though there is an area filled with wetbacks close, so that's a bit of a downside. The memorial area is ok. Not too many niggers or beaners.

I just got back from a vacation from Rockport which is relatively close to Corpus. Only bad part was it perpetually smelled like rotting fish.

okay, I admit there speciallty burger are good but they are expensive as fuck,average customer isn't going to go for that on there first time.
>dairy queen a shit
>BOI

fuck whataburger, go to a carl's jr OP the burgers are amazing, especially with waffle fries.

ok ok the ice cream is ok
>I GUESS

suburbs of montrose? that's still in town. Cinco Ranch is little Chicago? More like stepford wives and engineer families.

In college i had a gf whose family had a "beach" house in Rockport. Except there is no beach, only rocks. So the fish die on the rocks and don't get washed away they just rot and the whole town smells constantly. I have no idea why they bought a vacation home there, place sucked ass.

Said no true Texan ever

*Rock*port