Got into gaming around this time last year, but all I've owned until now is a PS4...

Got into gaming around this time last year, but all I've owned until now is a PS4. I wanted to see what I've been missing out on, and my buddy suggested I get a Nintendo 64.
So I ordered a Nintendo 64 and it should be here in a few days. I bought Super Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time along with it.
Any tips for going into these games? Also, what else should I pick up for the 64?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6X36yuRkuS0
youtube.com/watch?v=uO6ImwhDSxw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Play Orcarina of time without looking at any walkthroughs, and shit if you can get harvest moon 64. It's good game.

No walkthroughs is a good idea.
Oot is about exploration so i'd say backtrack a little and look under rocks etc.

Call of duty mw3 and age of empires 3 would be your best bet dont think just buy them

>buying an old console
>not just using an emulator

What the fuck are you doing

iirc you need the N64 for certain glitches if you're into that.

But yeah, OP. Just emulate. Also

OP don't listen to these 15 year old faggots having the actual console is way better than some hack emulator piece of shit. Especially for playing vidya eith things like friends and girlfriends, both of which some of these anons have never heard of

other games to look into:
Goldeneye
Smash bros
Mario Kart 64
Star Fox 64 (if you can get past that furries have ruined it)
May be nostalgia goggles, but I remember liking Wave Race 64 for some reason.

NO WALKTHROUGHS

NO STONES UNTURNED

HAVE FUN

ALSO GET BANJO & KAZOOIE MY NIGGA THAT GAME IS FIRE

>you need the N64 for certain glitches if you're into that.
Don't think there's any human reproducible glitches left that aren't accurately emulated on N64
>having the actual console is way better than some hack emulator piece of shit.
It's literally exactly the same except in better resolution if you want
>Especially for playing vidya eith things like friends
1. see above
2. emulators are actually better for this since they've modded in co-op in some games.

for too

>Don't think there's any human reproducible glitches left that aren't accurately emulated on N64
Crooked cartridge in Majora's Mask comes to mind.

The consoles are better for nostalgia.

OP, you're better off using emulation.

you'll have fun at the water temple

1. Nostalgia is not a valid argument, manchild
2. OP said he just got into gaming so he won't even have nostalgia you fucking retard
3. Once you're playing the game there's literally no difference. Your nostalgia solely consists of changing cartridge once in a while

>Crooked cartridge
nope, even that is in emulation
youtube.com/watch?v=6X36yuRkuS0

Read the whole post you faggot, goddamn.

The re-sell really good if you collect em.

Yes? Your point about nostalgia is not valid

Perfect Dark

This game is fucking hilarious with friends, as is Wrestlemania. Other honorable mentions are:

Majora's Mask (slightly under the level of Oot, although still a top tier game), Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, Smash Bros, Goldeneye, Quest 64, Mario Kart, Mario Tennis, Jetforce Gemini, Banjo-Kazooie, Perfect Dark, Gauntlet Legends, 1080 snowboarding, and the underrated Toy Story game

Can't think of any others atm, although there are definitely more.

if you can find them, pokemon snap, col 1 and 2, and resident evil 2 (its best version besides the shit quality) turok 1 and 2, golden eye and smash bros are all amazing games

Get majoras mask as well it's a direct sequel and i recall it being a little darker and all round fun of at times a little frustrating due to the game putting a time limit on you

also a great list, forgot conkers bad fur day

I didn't post it but you're still fucking retarded.

>OP, you're better off using emulation.

They are better for nostalgia if you played them back in the day but OP is better off emulating. Faggot.

i second perfect dark

fantastic game

>N64
>Call of duty mw3 and age of empires 3

Star Wars Episode 1: Podracing.

Dogshit movie, but to this day is the only racing game that I have ever TRULY enjoyed. Imaginative and challenging tracks, fun upgrade system, and most importantly

"IT'S A NEW, LAP RECORD!"

I know a lot of people say Golden eye is top notch but I always thought perfect dark was way better.
anyway if you wanna check some cool gaming videos be sure to look at Game Grumps

also Pod Racing is a FANTASTIC racing game
WCW/NWO is a fantastic wrestling game
and if you do Oot, be sure to play Majoras Mask, shits dope

n64 sucks. it's the console of millenial faggots who never had an atari, NES, or SNES because they weren't even alive yet.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe on Switch has reawakened my love of the genre

after you play ocarina of time (WITHOUT ANY WALKTHROUGH OF COURSE) then get majoras mask, its insanely good, better than OOT in my opinion, but play OOT first.
dont get harvest moon, you will be bored to shits.

old faggot

Turok Dinosaur Hunter
Rush 2
Blast Corps
Goldeneye
Pilotwings

hope your nintendo comes with the expansion pack you'll miss out on some stuff and some games wont work at all

Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
Mystical Ninja Goemon
Starfox
Fighter's Destiny

necessary, but already mentioned:
>Goldeneye
>Mario Kart
1080 Snowboarding
>Majora's Mask

i might be an oldfag but at least i'm not a newfag (You).

majoras mask, my dude
youtube.com/watch?v=uO6ImwhDSxw

>May be nostalgia goggles, but I remember liking Wave Race 64 for some reason.

FOLLOW THAT DOLPHIN!

>playing with an emulator
>not using the real console

ylyl thread i guess

For that wrestling game or all the WCW/NWO and WWF(E) games from THQ for N64, aren't the wrestlers all kind of blocky?

Wave race, beetle advanture racing, conker's bad fur day

those were the shit back then

SUPER SMASH BROTHERS
It's a must have, OP

dont listen to them get a walktrough for the water temple(6th one) or your live will be hell

this, if you plan to buy majora's mask, play oot first.

M'sM is IMO way harder to start than OOT. But when you start to get used to the system M'sM, the only thing that'll come to your mind is

>how did i missed this

only for the water temple, not for the other.

and don't forget Cruise'n'world !

And the sequel was even better.

play the games from "Rare" and nintendos own ip's

dude the water temple in OoT is easy as shit, you don't need a guide

Majora's masks water temple is far far far worse

I once seen a speedrun video with banjoo

at the very first frame, i knew this game was from Rare. There's something awesome with their textures, universe... Same for DK 64

Both games are super overrated and both have aged horribly just like sub par console they were released on. You have wasted your money on your friend's misguided nostalgia

I think you meant
Call of Duty 3 and
Empire Earth 2

Army Men: Sarge's Heroes
South Park
Snowboard Kids 1 and 2.
Mario Parties 1-3.
Goldeneye.
Banjo Kazooie/Tooie
Donkey Kong 64
Paper Mario.
Starfox.
Star wars: Shadow of the Empire

protip: Enter "Best n64 games" in google.

Eh personally I think the Super Nintendo was waaaaay better than the 64 but that's just me. 64 is cool just get MARIO kart, smash and some other controllers then it's really fun to play with friends.

honestly golden eye didn't age to well, get perfect dark instead it has aged better

goldeneye only became superpopular as it was one of the first multiplayer FPS's

Play conker's bad fur day

Get Glover and Banjo Kazooie

Tbh, the only shitty part is if you forget to look for the key in the middle pillar thing in the middle of the temple when the water is at its highest

Other than that it's a pretty linear temple

stfu faggot

David Wise is a fucking good composer and every music he's done for Rare had an instant nostalgia side effect garanteed

I can hit you with some great titles like conkers bad fur day but good luck getting that for cheap, shadow man, space station silicon valley, starshot space circus, rage wars, blood harvest which is made by rockstar before they became rockstar studio.

Majora's mask and Conker's bad fur day.

SNES and N64 (snes being slightly better) are both amazing and the other two are honestly overrated

Also, Rush 64 and Smash bros.

Turok is awesome

This

Never played Atari and at first glance it seems like some 80's arcade type of console which is obsolet af when you consider what Nintendo has brought to the market

God, Wise for the win!

DKC OST is just incredible.

The cover of stickerbrush symph is incredible, same for aquatic ambiance in tropical freeze!

best thing about turok is using the yellow arrow buttons for your movement.... fighting the controls never felt so good >.<

castlevania 64 was a decent game if I remember right...

if you want to get MM remember your gonna need an expansion pack.

same with donkey kong 64, many other games just get improvements

my favs

aquatic ambiance
forest interlude
in a snow bound land
the one in DKC where the stage is in a cave(?) and you need to jump for fuel

I feel like you'll be let down by the graphics and the gameplay for both is pretty simple. None of those games have voice over like modern games. You have to think when these came out it was revolutionary at the time. The story and challenges should hold up. I wish you luck.

Who here likes Mario Party?

A few recs:
Jet Force Gemini
Hybrid Heaven
Perfect Dark
Majora's Mask
Star Wars Episode 1 Pod Racer
F Zero X
Goemon's Great Adventure

>Ocarina of Time
Should have gotten a 3ds for that. Better polygon models, a better menu system, and awesome glasses-free 3d.
On second thought, play through it on N64 first, then get the 3ds. Or if, by chance, you're like me and can't stand that weird-ass N64 controller that's made for three handed aliens, you can also get the original version of Ocarina Of Time on Gamecube (it was a bonus disc for people who pre-ordered Wind Waker, you can find it easily on ebay).

Also make sure to put some money away for Zelda-related trinkets because you're going to LOVE that game, it's the highest rated game of all time for a reason. But whatever triforce related jewelry or sword replicas you buy, don't give in to the temptation to buy an irl ocarina, they're hella hard to play.

Ogre Battle: Person of Lordly Caliber (nobody has mentioned this one yet but it's an awesome SRPG with a ton of content and really fun gameplay).
Majora's Mask
Paper Mario
Perfect Dark
Resident Evil 2

I'm pretty confident that Castlevania 64 was hot garbage, though I do have fond memories of playing through it with a friend.

Majora's Mask actually had an interesting world full of things happening. Ocarina of Time was cool and all but there was a lot less going on. Sure it had more dungeons but all of the different characters with different schedules and the way that they would change on the third day and everything was awesome and OoT had nothing similar.

>Obvious shitpost

Anybody?

Get Majora's mask but play Ocarina of Time first before you play it.

You wasted your money. Both those games are shit.

Anyone who says otherwise is just a miserable old person obsessed with the mediocre games they played as kids.

This isn't a food thread. Is that your dinner tonight?

>ocarina, they're hella hard to play.
Only if you're the sort of mouth-breathing retard who uses words like, "hella." It's no more difficult than a recorder, aka that thing that most school kids learn in 5th grade.

Also holy shit I just looked up Ogre Battle 64 and it looks like it goes for around $50 still.

I like my palms unshredded. In the right mindset (a very noncompetitive one) you can have fun playing Mario Party, but the amount of arbitrary shit makes playing to win the game a fool's errand and some of the minigames are just painful and controller-destroying.

>Anyone who says otherwise is just a miserable old person obsessed with the mediocre games they played as kids.
Ironically the older installments of both franchises are generally better.

I wish.

And picture is always related when there's a hamburger.

I'm sorry but as a PC gamer going back to N64 and 24fps is literally hell.

So what was good?

And that controller is designed either for or by aliens

>he actually bought an ocarina and learned how to play it

Yeah goldeneye is my fav all time game
After you're done with it you can get perfect dark

Is that the final boss of Burger Time?

Better than newer ones, but not good.

Old games just generally suck. Pretty much anything pre-gamecube is going to suck.

Not quite. This guy was a hidden boss you had to play through again to get to.

Who serves that big boutique burger? Anyone know?

>anything pre-gamecube is going to suck.
>Resident Evil 2
>MGS1
>Soul Reaver
>Super Mario 3
>Oddworld
>DOOM
>Robot Alchemic Drive
>Contra
>Battletoads
>Street Fighter Alpha
>Rogue Squadron
>Tekken 3
>Final Fantasy 6
>Chrono Trigger
>Castlevania: SOTN
>Megaman Legends
>Tetris
Pretty sure you have no idea what you're talking about.

>Old games just generally suck. Pretty much anything pre-gamecube is going to suck.
I'm trying hard not to take this bait. GCN was based as fuck but there are tons of great games for the NES, SNES, and Gameboy.

All those suck. Jesus dude are you that stuffed with nostalgia?

Only good for their time.

Just play on an emulator.