Is this the greatest jazz album of all time?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Saint_and_the_Sinner_Lady
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

No, but probably over the last 10, maybe even 20 years.

if you're a 20 year old white suburban male then most likely

>hey Im so into jazz! BBNG, Kamazi Washington, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, the list goes on

This

There are loads of better albums every year but this one blew up because of all the contacts this guy has and how dumbed down it is

No, absolutely not. Too much filler.

If it had been edited to just an hour it could have maybe been a 6/10. Proper mixing might even bump it up to a 7. Kamasi's playing is pretty below average though and the rest of the band's isn't much better so that's really the best I could ever see it being.

It's marketed toward people who don't care how good the soloing is and probably can't tell bad from good soloing anyway. These people are impressed by the album's length and undeserved grandiosity, so of course they would consider this one the best.

>hey man you like thing that's gay

No, it's pretty mediocre actually.
Pic related would be my pick

Strong pick user, pic related would be mind. Perfect playing, perfect solos, killer lineup. Can't go wrong.

LOL no when you've listened to a lot of jazz you can tell it's boring as fuck comparatively

This is also a great one if you liked 'Mosaic'

>Yeah REAL jazz fans only listen to jazz with intentionally shitty cover art and "interesting harmonies" and "clever solos" that plebs wouldn't understand

if you can't appreciate monk you are a whack pleb no way around it

Kamasi's album was interesting to me when I first heard it but I got bored of it very quickly. But I literally play Monk's Round Midnight alone on repeat for as long as Kamasi's album goes. Cuz it's fucking great

You need to stop posting. Free and spiritual jazz can be great when done well. So can bebop, hard bop, and post bop. But your anti-intellectualism and aggressive shitposting is just feeding the whole "rockist" meme and actually starting to validate it.

this

Indestructible is great too, considering picking up music matters pressing of it from my record store.

I'm a fan of basically any album Art Blakey lead s on. But also a lot of he was featured on, pic related is my a close favourite, tied with Soul Station.

art blakey thread

but why doesn't Sup Forums like Horace Silver that much

Probably just haven't been exposed enough to his music, especially the music he wrote - other than Song for My Father.
I've always loved The Cape Verdean Blues, even some of his earlier work is fantastic as well like 6 Pieces of Silver.
Easily one of the piano greats in Jazz.

everyone knows the greatest is black saint

Wow, some people like music with substance. Unfathomable, I know.

I never understood why this album id popular, its just sub-standard jazz

Horace Silver's tunes and arrangements were better than most of the Jazz Messenger's material (though some of Shorter's tunes for them are up there with the best of Silver's) but the Jazz Messengers always had the better players, especially the Hubbard/Shorter/Fuller lineup.

>intentionally shitty cover art

wew lad, that's how I know you've never listened to Jazz. Jazz album art is incredible, especially Blue Note.

It's because of his collaborations.
>Kendrick Lamar
>Thundercat
>Flying Lotus
>Run the Jewels

It's okay, 7-10.

It's relatively simplified in technique so it's easy to enjoy with limited exposure to Jazz. Plus indieheads (Most likely audience to say The Epic is a masterpiece) is easy to trick with its length, plus they see Jazz released in 2015 as a niche thing and a rare occurrence. Despite most of the album is fairly bland, uncreative and filler with sub par playing throughout.

Can you rec me something similar to that album, i have been enjoying it a lot and i want more.

Pretty sure he's talking about jtg-core modern type stuff. A lot of the good modern jazz does have bad cover art.

Sure
Lou Donaldson - Blues Walk
Freddie Hubbard - Open Sesame
Johnny Griffin - Introducing Johnny Griffin

All great albums for fans of Saxophone Colossus in my eyes.
If you want to continue with Sonny Rollins though, Newk's Time and Tenor Madness are some of my personal favourites he wrote.

Thanks alot, will check those.

Hey bros, I'm a jazz noob, can somebody recommend me some smooth jazz? I just wanna chill with some brandy a cig.

>not "I'm 15 and I fucking love jazz"

No, but it's great

I like this one better honestly. But it's got an age restriction. Needa cover the college age kids and Scaruffi types as well.

black saint and the sinner lady is actually considered a great jazz album though

By whom?

Scaruffi

Smooth Jazz is honestly a pretty wank style of Jazz. Cool is probably better suited to what you are looking for, and for that go with Sonny Clark - Cool Struttin' and The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out.

Pretty funny, kind of scary how true this actually is. Can't forget Kind of Blue though, the king token Jazz albums.

I don't agree with the OP but this brings up a question i've been wanting to ask: what are some contemporary jazz albums/artists that are actually innovating jazz?

Thanks!

That album is just like you got into Jazz

Honestly, I can't say there a lot worth writing home about. It's all Indie-heads tier Jazz (Kamasi, Flying Lotus, BBNG) most of the modern stuff I listen to that is actually remotely interesting if free-jazz like Mats Gustafsson. Other than a few free-jazz records I honestly can't say anything has really impressed me or innovated Jazz in any way.

Jazz Hop?

jazz critics? it was highly regarded even when it came out. that doesnt make it automatically great, but it's hardly a poseur album.

>it was highly regarded even when it came out.
By whom? Name a critic or you're talking out of your ass.

Steve Lehman, David Virelles, Vijay Iyer

Nope. Downbeat didn't 5/5 it at the time of release.

I agree with the your sentiment but imo all these albums are fine.

Sure, not among the greats but still better than most shit that gets put out.

downbeat gave it a 4/5

>pretending the black saint and the sinner lady isn't acclaimed

you're trying too hard m8

The line between jazz and classical continues to be blurred even further. Guys like Henry Threadgill and Wadada Leo Smith are doing this in an "Ornette Coleman meets Gyorgy Ligeti/Brian Ferneyhough" sorta way.

There's also sort of a resurgence of stuff like African/Latin inspired jazz with guys like David Virelles and Yosvany Terry where it's not just like a jazz fusion gimmick, but totally different approaches to how percussion is treated in jazz, period.

They give a lot of things 4/5
case in point:

>downbeat gave it a 4/5 instead of a 5/5 at release time
Like...I don't see how that's not proof the album's definitely not given masterpiece status. Most other well lauded classics got a 5/5.

>I'm on Sup Forums and liking good entry level albums means I'm better than you edition

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Saint_and_the_Sinner_Lady

seems pretty acclaimed

it's definitely not the archetypal jazz album, though

>bbng is jazz

Are we seriously at a point on that Sup Forums is so pretentious it's trying to make fun of BSatSL?

Jazz

The only one of those from release time shows a 4/5. Not acclaimed fully. There's that Q review as well. It's nowhere near the kind of acclaim something like Kind Of Blue, A Love Supreme, etc. have gotten.

Is this a Jazz album?

I just hate you all so much.

no

Np :)

What is everyone listening to on this Saturday night?

Pic related for me, been on a bit of Hank Mobley train recently and dippin' is just incredible. On my 3rd play of the day.

It's 2 pm for me but I'm listening to this

Good Choice! That recording of The Ghetto is incredible to listen to, the audience is so alive and energetic.

wrong

A Love Supreme. I always come back to it, whereas something like The Epic I listen to for a short period and then never again

listening to some 2017 releases tonight - currently Kirk Knuffke's Cherryco, a pretty cool Don Cherry tribute, check if out if you're a fan of Cherry's trumpet playing (Orient/Organic Music Society fans that I think we have some of here may be disappointed, though)

I've personally never enjoyed A Love Supreme as say Giant Steps or Blue train - or even some of John Coltrane's live albums - But I get what you're saying, I always some how find myself coming back to John Coltrane, his playing is so timeless and fresh no matter how many times you listen to his music. The Epic on the other hand, when it first came out I was genuinely excited and gave it two may be strong, hard and focused listens, I haven't really thought about the record since it first came out. It never managed to "wow" me like some Coltrane or Mobley albums still manage to do.

wrong

wrong

eh, I prefer Maiden Voyage myself, but ultimately I think Herbie's greatest accomplishment was being an iconic player in multiple styles

Any other Europeans catch Herbie on tour this summer yet? wasn't too thrilled with it - Terrace Martin was just basically there to lend his name to the band (although he played sax a little better than I expected), basically a bunch of Head Hunters and later 70's funky nostalgia - didn't promise much for the upcoming album (if they ever finish it), old hits like Actual Proof, Chameleon and Cantaloupe Island were the only thing that really got the audience going. Any new stuff didn't stick at all basically.

I wish he would come to where I live but it sounds like from what you said that the audience only likes the Jazz Funk stuff was his other stuff good?

Wrong

Henry Threadgill Sextett- You Know the Number
but its also 345pm for me and im just putting off shedding.

it was all done in the same stadium-type jazz-funk style, just the old tunes were more memorable

also I figured out during the gig that I really don't enjoy Vinnie Colaiuta's drumming that much - yeah, he's clearly a professional, skillful studio musician and his drumming scales up to basically any size outdoor arena even, but for me when he comes into a band, it's a sign that the quality of albums is about to go down drastically, if not immediately at least on the following albums when he's in the band - works for Zappa (Joe's Garage), Joni Mitchell (Wild Things Run Fast) and Sting/The Police (Ten Summoner's Tales)

wrong

>"Yeah, I love underground jazz, you ever heard of this band called Snarky Puppy?"

one of the best live recordings ever I think

YEEEESSS.......YESSSSSSSSSSSSS

but the point is that it's highly regarded... even if it's less acclaimed than kind of blue

The point was that it's not considered a masterpiece. Even the other post shows that getting a 4/5 isn't tough at Downbeat, so it should've been the easy five. But it wasn't standout even in its time to get the five.

anyone who iv'e seen that doesn't listen to jazz but likes the cowboy bebop ost usually doesn't claim to "love jazz". they're usually either talking about how much they love the ost in particular, or asking for more music that sounds similar.

Can any blessed soul from this Thread rec me some sad-core jazz albums?

Go to any other jazz track with a ton of views on YouTube like Moanin or one of the Whiplash tracks. See the comments.

Here's some super dark-core

>free jazz
Are there more stuff that are not free jazz, sorry for being such a pleb

That's ok that album isn't exactly easy to listen to for anyone - how about this - one of my fave albums and beautiful and melancholy in equal measure

Thanks user for the recs, Sing me a song of songmy is great aswell, sorry i only looked up the subgenre and didnt gave it a try.

jazz has been pretty stagnant for a while imo

some unbelievable players in the business but it feels like everything has been done

we need another dizzy to shake things up

assuming this isn't bait, no, it really isn't

this isn't either