Ready Player One

Are you fags ready for the single most reddit film of all time?

uploadvr.com/spielberg-ready-player-one-hmd/

I'm pretty hype so I must be pretty reddit.

so what the fuck is it about, virtual reality MMO in a dystopian country?

I think one of the characters is a black girl who's avatar is a white man or some shit.

>book that shows how the world has gone completely to hell due to people only being interested in the future-internet, people not bothering to vote for presidents but voting Wil Wheaton into becoming President of The Internet because that's the only thing that matters to them etc.
>all the 80's references comes from an autistic character who was obsessed about his childhood, and who is shown to have not been able to interact with people and ultimately died without having had any significant relationship in his entire life
>book becomes successful because nerds across the world cream their pants over the 80's references and how much they want to have the VR-internet, completely ignoring the real-world parallels

Excerpts from the book:

>“I wish someone had just told me the truth right up front, as soon as I was old enough to understand it. I wish someone had just said: “Here’s the deal, Wade. You’re something called a ‘human being.’ That’s a really smart kind of animal. Like every other animal on this planet, we’re descended from a single-celled organism that lived millions of years ago. This happened by a process called evolution, and you’ll learn more about it But trust me, that’s really how we all got here. There’s proof of it everywhere, buried in the rocks. That story you heard? About how we were all created by a super-powerful dude named God who lives up in the sky? Total bullshit. The whole God thing is actually an ancient fairy tale that people have been telling one another for thousands of years. We made it all up. Like Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny. “Oh, and by the way … there’s no Santa Claus or Easter Bunny. Also bullshit. Sorry, kid Deal with it.”

>“I watched a lot of YouTube videos of cute geeky girls playing '80s cover tunes on ukuleles. Technically, this wasn't part of my research, but I had a serious cute-geeky-girls-playing-ukuleles fetish that I can neither explain nor defend.”

>“Going outside is highly overrated.”

>“I created the OASIS because I never felt at home in the real world. I didn't know how to connect with the people there. I was afraid, for all of my life, right up until I knew it was ending. That was when I realized, as terrifying and painful as reality can be, it's also the only place where you can find true happiness. Because reality is real.”

>“Being human totally sucks most of the time. Videogames are the only thing that make life bearable.”

To be fair, that's a way more realistically written teenager than most authors can manage.

jesus fucking christ

There's a difference between wearing a fedora and being the creator of something that inspires fedora wearers to act the way they do.

I hope this is the final form of "DUDE REMEMBER THE 80s?" and then we're done

How old is he meant to be though, 13-14? that's about the extent my suspension of disbelief will allow

is this from the book or is it the author's comments?

>“I watched a lot of YouTube videos of cute geeky girls playing '80s cover tunes on ukuleles. Technically, this wasn't part of my research, but I had a serious cute-geeky-girls-playing-ukuleles fetish that I can neither explain nor defend.”

isn't this book for kids??

I hope the movie actually focuses on how the world became a dystopia due to faggots only caring about their virtual worlds, and how it was the 80's-obsessed faggot who made the ruination a possibility with his anti-social personality informing his creation and ultimately the world.

Just imagine all the internet nerds latching on to the "le epic 80's!" image of the story going to see it only to have it all thrown in their faces.

>sorry kid, deal with it
Lamo

It's from the book

>Are you fags ready for the single most reddit film of all time?
Are they making a Scott Pilgrim sequel or something?

Nigga he gets a fancy sci-fi real-doll and just spends a week or month having VR-sex, until he ultimately gets sick of masturbating.

Don't forget the rationalization

So the excerpts in this thread are supposed to be bad and make you not want to be a reddit manchild?

I got those references so I think the author thinks they were writing it for me.

wew lad

can't say I wouldn't do the same

>(((Spielberg)))
>One of the main pioneers of DUDE NERD CULTURE LMAO escapism in filmmaking
>Having a shred of integrity

Depends on how you see it. Either the author was a complete retard who didn't realise what he was actually saying with his story, but wanted it to be a reddit story. Or he didn't want you to completely agree with the autistic characters presented in the book, but changed his story when all the autistic people on the internet embraced them and made him famous.

I prefer the first interpretation. Especially since it makes it a whole lot dystopian/cyber-punk-ish if you've got a main character AND the main-character's mentor-figure who are both characters you're not supposed to self-insert into, as one's a misguided edgy teen and one died with only one friend as a human contact, having spent his life creating a massive internet-mmo-hybrid that he then decides to give to whoever solves a series of riddles based on his own childhood nostalgia of the 80's because, again, he's got fucking nobody and he only remembers being really happy back in his childhood.

Look at this picture of the author in a DeLorean with GRRM and see if that helps you understand intent

VICE President

Don't go giving him too much credit

Mitebgud

>most reddit film of all time

Who cares about other websites?

doesn't the book literally end with the author's self-insert receiving a million billion dollars, he gets the cute shy nerdy girl, gets to own the vr future internet, and of course all his bullies and haters who didn't find reciting the entire script of Monty Python and the Holy Grail funny are killed or die or something

like this is Pixels, only for the ha ha what if tron was real, remember tron??? crowd

>and of course, Kevin Smith

Yeah, because he got popular with the crowd he was talking shit about and so completely abandoned the social criticism angle in his books and instead just cashed in on it to do a bunch of shit that "serious" authors don't generally get to do, like hang out with the decade's hottest-selling/most recognisable fantasy author.

I'm not saying the author was a completely serious author intent on social critique and who hates the 80's or anything. It wasn't a particularly deep critique, and if people hadn't "fangasmed" over the 80's shit the book wouldn't exactly have won any prices for its social criticism or the story. So he just went with the flow when it blew up.

Or he's just really stupid and couldn't see that what he was writing was critical in nature, just as his fans couldn't see it when reading it. In this case I'll plead Death of The Author in an attempt to salvage some form of worth from the book.

ready player one: a big, bright, round beach ball that's so utterly, banally safe in its pop-culture geekiness cocoon that it could never, ever, ever, ever shock or hurt anyone or even say anything at all besides 'remember thing? thing good'

Jesus fucking Christ it's like he just took his favorite reddit posts and expanded them into a book.

Basically. It's a garbage piece of 80's wank, and Spielberg directing is the most hilarious piece of masturbatory film work I've ever heard of.

The movie might be decent though, the book had a good premise and interesting universe but the nonstop "geek" references every other sentence brought it down and was really poorly written. The movie can't have all that shit though, it wouldn't work him spending half the movie just namedroping random 80's movies and games for no reason.

There is absolutely nothing to suggest that this book was ever meant to be social criticism. The book itself doesn't even really support that.

>...memorizing all the key lines of dialogue.
says it all, really. that guy has absolutely no personalty of his own besides pop culture trivia, neatly stored and filed away

That's the point. He's in a contest to find easter eggs hidden throughout the creators favorite 80's movies/games/music he enjoyed growing up. So he has to study all that shit to find the easter eggs.

He's also a creepy weirdo, but it's ok because being a geek is cool now

*tips fedora

>You'd be amazed how much research you can get done when you have no life whatsoever. Twelve hours a day, seven days a week, is a lot of study time.
like it's just self-aware enough to be all 'he he yeah that's nuts huh, really makes you think' but also satisfy the unironic SHOW ME YOUR NERD CARD, NORMIE types

and i don't mean that in a good way, i mean it in the way where a fictional character in a fictional universe is treated as a thing that can't be held to a 'what the fuck dude' standard. like we're just receiving a transmission from some other universe and can't pass judgement or anything because that's what haters and trolls do and why would you question the god-creator??

is the idea of a creator obsessively leaving breadcrumbs like that ever explored, in a why-the-hell-would-you-even way, or is it just a yup that happened, time to monty python the shit out of some spanish inquisitions kind of thing

Is this describing a Sup Forums or reddit user? I cant tell the diffrence.

It's not trying to shock anyone or piss people off. Not everything has to be an edgy and contrarian like Sup Forums is.

It does. The author makes a point to criticize some of the protagonist's behaviours: his shut-in tendencies, him wasting his life away with nothing but pop culture trivia, his social retardation outside the video game are all touched upon.

In the end, it doesn't matter, I guess, because the world in the book has gone to shit and there is nothing left but VR

i suppose i'm phrasing it wrong. what i mean is it doesn't seem to have anything of substance, or a message, or anything besides wikipedia:the_80s.familyguy

Geek culture is damaging to both the people that practice it and the media itself.

If you're just accusing critics of "hating fun" then you don't really understand what you're talking about.

>The author makes a point to criticize some of the protagonist's behaviours
But he gets literally everything he wants in the end - a gf, all the money, the death of his bullies - and he doesn't learn anything or develop as a character or anything

But they're also effectively mentioned as parts of his personality that are inherent to the "unappreciated genius" archetype that the apparently belongs to. The book is about celebrating not just the 80's, but all of the stereotypical nerd things that Reddit defends, now.

Is Ogden Morrow the least responsible human being on the fucking planet in this book?

Yes a giant corporation that assassinates people is about to win a majority share ownership of your company, and thus become the richest entity in the entire world...

...lol no I will not help assist you in the game to defeat them, but how about you fly over to my mansion where at least I can provide you with a cool chair?

Fuck.

Yes, you have named another part of this book that is poorly written. You will not run out of fodder for these types of posts.

True. What I'm pointing out was that it's not constantly shown in a positive light, so the author was at least to some degree aware of the downsides of his vision. An editor probably forced him to put that stuff in

You know what would have made Jurassic Park better? If the dinosaurs didn't escape, and instead of people running from dinosaurs Michael Crichton wrote about how the dinosaur cloning machines worked, and what kind of attractions there would be at Jurassic Park, and if it had all kinds of facts about the dinosaurs that would be at Jurassic Park instead.

ill be honest ive probs only read like 80 books but this piece of shit is by faaaaaaaaaar the worst

but its kinda funny in how fuckin terrible it is

You know what would have made RoboCop better? If instead of the social commentary they showed how they made RoboCop, and showed him shooting all the bad guys forever because cyborgs are cool, and also really strong.

These, any social criticism in the book was totally unbeknown to the author, i.e. parallels between the protagonist's rejection of god and practice of religion whilst simultaneously worshipping 80's culture at the whim of a benevolent billionaire. It's one giant reddit post.

Im liking this pasta

more like REDDIT PLAYER ONE

amirite lads

just make it stop